PDA

View Full Version : Two from the Flagstaff area X post Plein Air

adventureartist
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi Dusties!
I finally managed to get away to Flagstaff and been out hiking and getting dusty. Here's two for your perusal. They are both studies for larger paintings later in the studio. The first is on PastelMat (maize colored) and is looking into the sunrise at a hillhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2010/161935-IMG_3667.jpg , I wanted to get the shadows and a bit of backlighting. 12 X 7. Needs a bit of tweaking in the final versions, I don't like some aspects, but it's OK.
The second is on the west side of the mountains at sunset, and once again I was working with the shadows and sunlight just tipping the trees before it went down. The painting is darker IRL and the blue paper blends with the shadows, but the camera seems to illuminate the paper, drat, should have scumbled a bit over it more...this was done on Blue Art Spectrum, 12 X 9 . Both studies are done in an hour, with Girault, Unison, and Ludwigs.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2010/161935-IMG_3554.jpg

DAK723
08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Both of these are nice, but I especially like #2! It has a great sense of sunlight!

Nicely done!

Don

adventureartist
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your looking and commenting.:)

Deborah Secor
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Mmm, nice energy in both of these, Drusilla!

adventureartist
08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks Deborah, I'm trying to do many things at once. Speed, as I was taking way too long and losing light effects, and color accuracy or at least an indication of local hues...and not getting too nit picky in the end, in other words finish with as little niggling as possible. :D Oh yes, and FUN, I'm trying to have fun instead of taking it all so seriously.:lol:

Turpintine45
08-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Really nice, I love all the shadows especially the second one. Jen

jackiesimmonds
08-16-2010, 03:43 AM
both of these pics have a lovely lively energy to them.

Before you make them into bigger pics, just a couple of things.

To get more a sense of recession into the top one, it might help to consider one of two ways to do this:
1. Either make foreground marks bigger and background, distance marks much smaller or
2. think about the tone values - darker stronger tones in the foreground will pull the foreground forwards; tones which are closer together in the distance, and perhaps lighter too, will suggest a touch more recession. As it stands, your tonal contrasts are similar throughout.

With the second one, it is really pretty but I am not properly getting a feeling of sundown. Evening sunlight - and sunrise color too - the light from the sun is at its lowest angle, passing through dense layers of the atmosphere, and so the light is very warm and quite orangey- reddish. I see you spotted this on the ground, there are some lovely warms there, but the trees are still very cool in the lightstruck areas.

If you dont want to adjust your pic for now, then a suggestion for you - try one of those trees again, on a separate piece of paper. This time, use MUCH warmer lights instead of the cool lemon-yellows you have used, try more orangey yellows, and then have more blues in the shadows.

adventureartist
08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Jen! Thanks so much Jackie for your comments...ha the orange is pine needles on the ground. The sun just "kissed" them into a glow of orange...I appreciate the pointers and will apply on the studio paintings.:thumbsup: And more plein air today. :) It is soooo GREEN here compared to the desert where I live in the south, it's shocking! I was invited to a plein air paint out here on Saturday with the Northern Arizona Plein Air Painters, lots of fun to meet new friends and paint together in the pines. And it's a lot cooler here than at home!:clap:

Paula Ford
08-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Wonderful pieces Dru! I've always loved a nice slanted hill format. They are beautifully done!

Ruthie57
08-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I love both of these but particularly the 2nd one. Glad you're having fun with your plein air painting. You're certainly good at it.

adventureartist
08-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks Paula and Ruthie...I'm getting my dose of hills and mountains here, canyons and green grass, pines, heavenly! Now if I could just convince DH to move!:evil:

rugman
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
these are really nice! Reading through this thread is making me want to "head to the hills" and paint like crazy.