PDA

View Full Version : Corel Painter

jsr88
10-13-2002, 03:20 PM
HI guys...
I just installed the softare that goes with my Wacom Intuos2 tablet. The piece I'm specifically talking about (it came with several) is Corel Painter. I know this is going to sound funny but I never heard of it before. :rolleyes:

I have the "Painter Classic" (1.0) version...would anyone care to give me a review of whatever the latest version of the program is like. I'm loving every minute of what I've seen so far. (to me, it's so close to using "real" media that it almost gives me confidence enough to try something "artistic!" :D

crazy_cat
10-13-2002, 03:23 PM
I have the same software. Here are some links that will help you. Most are for the full version of Painter but they will help you a lot.

http://www.desktoppublishing.com/tipspainter.html
http://www.users.wineasy.se/snmz/lesson.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eathene/painter/index.html

crazy_cat
10-13-2002, 03:24 PM
Here are some more.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/index.htm?once=true&
http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/lower-lft-img-wndw-icons.html

jsr88
10-13-2002, 03:36 PM
CC thanks for the links. Looks like I have quite a bit of reading to do. It also looks like I'll be trying to save the old "allowance" in order to get a newer version...hmmm, wonder if Corel offers a "trade-up" deal? :D

digistyle
10-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Sorry, Julia, you can't trade up on Painter Classic. It's kind of a teaser program designed to make you want to buy the full version of Painter 7.0. I think Corel only offers upgrades from full version 4 and up.

digistyle

jsr88
10-13-2002, 06:59 PM
:( Awww
Oh well...looks like "Plan B" now...B=BUDGET!! :D I get there eventually! (Right now I can't figure out whether I want that new Sony F717 or MORE SOFTWARE! :D )

Thanks Digistyle!

J. Walters
10-22-2002, 08:39 AM
I have just gotten interested in graphic arts.......have Painter Classic and love it.........but the problem I'm having is printing out the beautiful image I've created on the screen. By the time it exits the printer it's not even close and ten shades lighter.

Anyone know why? Could it be the program itself? Printer? My printer is a Lexmark Z42 and maybe just isn't up to the task.

devbrain
10-22-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by J. Walters
I have just gotten interested in graphic arts.......have Painter Classic and love it.........but the problem I'm having is printing out the beautiful image I've created on the screen. By the time it exits the printer it's not even close and ten shades lighter.

Anyone know why? Could it be the program itself? Printer? My printer is a Lexmark Z42 and maybe just isn't up to the task.

I'd check your monitor calibration. If it's lighter by a large deal then you might just have your contrast/brightness dials set all the way up at one end of the scale.

plumpfairy
10-22-2002, 08:57 AM
:o Hmmmm....Walters......does your printer have 4 or 6 color capability? This could be a contributing factor. My Epson Stylus Photo 870 is a 6 color printer and prints AMAZINGLY ! (I have an iMAC).
Hope that helps. Oh! and Devbrain's calibration deal could surely be a factor too!
jana:D ;)

captan
10-22-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by plumpfairy
:o Hmmmm....Walters......does your printer have 4 or 6 color capability? This could be a contributing factor. My Epson Stylus Photo 870 is a 6 color printer and prints AMAZINGLY ! (I have an iMAC).

I don't think that should make a big difference when it comes to brightness... You should check the calibration of your screen, and try printing a test image (check your manuals for the printer on how to).

I got the Painter Classic with my Wacom as well. But I got rid of it. It crashed all the time on my Quicksilver when I was still running OS9.

crazy_cat
10-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Here are a couple of links about monitor calibration. Really helps. It is what I use to keep mine in check...

http://users.erols.com/fward/calibrate.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~woharris/cal.htm

Also depending on what you use for a graphics program...there may be a profile problem. I know with Pshop you can set monitor profiles for cmyk, etc and screen size. ICC profiles.

J. Walters
10-23-2002, 07:33 AM
Hey.......Thanks so much ........everybody.

I recalibrated my monitor and it works much better. Fine tuned the painting and sent it to the print shop.

A little bit of calibration goes a long, long way.

jsr88
10-23-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks Devbrain...I didn't know about calibrating my monitor until Ron (RAE99) mentioned it to me on the Photo Forum. I finally got up nerve to do it on one of my machines...and WOW! what a difference it made!!

madster
10-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Don't rush to buy the full version of Painter 7.

Corel made Painter part of their "procreate" subdivision, and it needs ALOT of fine tuning yet.

Although the effects are wonderful, the basic program code is buggy as hell. Adjustment windows are HUGE, and not resizable, setting preferences is a major aggravation, as you have to reenter the entire path sequence for each and every preference rather than being able to do it all at once. The keyboard shortcuts are "okay" but not great (Painter fans scream "Oh, just program your F keys," but standard shortcuts have been around for a long time, Corel just doesn't want to get with the program).

Use the "light" version that came with your Wacom, and save your nickels. If you are a college student, you can buy the educational version for about $180 online, and I have come across it on sale for that price a couple times online also (MUCH better than the $400 list price).

Also, if you don't have Photoshop, download GIMP, a freeware (shareware?) clone that is pretty powerful.

Enjoy the Wacom! It's just too kewl!!!:clap:

jsr88
10-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey Madster! Thanks for the info.
I have the Classic...and I play with it all the time. Actually, I'm a graphic software "nut"! I have PS7, PSPv7, Corel Draw and Photo Paint...and believe it or not, I use them all. For different things of course...but sometimes I combine their various features. Mostly because I'm more familiar with one than another.

(Just between you and me...I've thought it would be GREAT if Corel would see things a little differently. :D)

Can you give me a little more info on the GIMP? Is it something that novice users could use to get familiar with graphic software and not have spend a fortune? Or is it difficult for novices to use?

fugitive
10-24-2002, 12:22 AM
If anyone has a question about anything at any time, just type it into Google: Gimp, and you will have more infor than you can read.

I have P classic, but uninstalled it after a few minutes because I have it's big brothers. It is quite limited, no layers, less features.
Although Painter is a quirky proggie, it does things no other one's can do. I use P6 for Hair. My P6 always runs nice, seven ...............

I do my portraits in PSP7, in a psd format, so I can load them into Painter for work. If I paint some nice texture, brush thing and then go back to PSP with the psd file, sometimes, the work does not look the same. To cure this, I found, if you go into painter with any file work on in, then save to jpg, your look will be retained. I gotta eat now.

madster
10-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Okay JSR88,

But ONLY if you change your tiny head avitar to show your face....LOL!

Actually, I'm not all that familiar with GIMP, since I have Photshop 4, 6 and 7, Painter 7, CorelDraw9, Microsoft Image Composer 5 and PhotoImpact 5 and 7 (gee, am I a Graphics Junkie, or what????)

From what I've heard, though, it is like a "poor man's" Photoshop, and between Gimp and PSP, you can do some very, VERY cool stuff with it...

Manstein
10-31-2002, 06:05 PM
I recently acquired a Wacom A4 tablet which came with 'Painter Classic'.
Madster interesting to hear your remarks as regards 'Painter' problems, why do Corel release programs using paying customers as beta testers? Perhaps the battle with Adobe is taking its toll!

Cheers....

madster
11-01-2002, 07:57 PM
I think Corel's "procreate" division needed the sales to try to stay afloat, and like so many "released before ready" programs (can you say Windows ME?) it just wasn't properly finished...

Don't get me wrong, it's a good program, just half-baked is all. That's why I say stick with the "Classic" that comes with your Wacom until the next version comes out, and even then, wait until you've read some really good reviews from USERS (not the PR crap they always send out telling how it's the best thing since sliced bread...).

My one small (and I mean SMALL) consolation is I was able to get the program for ONLY $179...still about $125 too much for just some cool watercolor and impasto effects...oh well.

sasc
11-03-2002, 01:14 PM
I agree on not jumping into Painter 7. Corel trashed the watercolor engine IMHO. After wasting my money on it, I went back to version6. You might find a copy of 6 on eBay for a good price.

fugitive
11-03-2002, 01:31 PM
I have six........ I have them both, but seven is a bit screwed up at the moment. I think the H2O brushes are amazing, but they did modify them. I think Jasc and they're PSP is the only big company charging a fair price. PSP is $99 and they are still a healthy company. Painter 8 is going into Beta, let's hope it gets fixed.