PDA

View Full Version : acrylic consistency

sarkana
06-14-2001, 09:34 AM
i'm wondering what consistency of paint you all like to use and how you get the paint that way. for example, in the impasto thread folks were suggesting various mediums to make the paint thicker for impasto techniques. do you use paint out of the tube? add lots of water or gel? have special mediums or techniques that you've formulated to make your paint thinner, thcker, more flow, more drag, etc? spill your guts!

me: i got sick of messing with fluid acrylic formulas, retarders, flow releasers, etc. and i finally started making my own paints. i'm a much happier acrylic artist now.

------------------
http://store.yahoo.com/sarkana

ivan1
06-14-2001, 10:52 AM
I am a beginner and find that I have the most fun when painting very fast. When I make a mistake, I just paint over it a few minutes later.(I'm discovering that the short drying time of acrylics has many advantages) I couldn't do this with the few oil paintings I did. I use acrylic right out of the tube most of the time, the thicker the better. Often I use a very dry brush. Sometimes I use a little water when doing underpainting washes or want to paint a very long sharp line. I have recently tried some gel to get some impasto effects. Works pretty well. But only seem to use this at the end of a painting for emphasis. I should probably use this stuff more while I'm painting but I never think of it. Having too much fun. With oils, you can add imapasto effects any time without even thinking. With Acrylics I have to think about it ahead of time. I don't think I want to get involved with numerous mediums.

sarkana
06-17-2001, 02:54 PM
so i wonder if i can get some other people to jump in here. am i getting a message that you don't really like using mediums, that acrylics are fine just out of the tube?

i used to just use golden colors out of the tube, but once i started to notice how easy it was to change the consistency, i started going crazy with the mediums. but now i just assemble the paint to the desired consistency.

Willem
06-17-2001, 10:59 PM
Hello sarkana
the most time I'm using great canvases and for me it is a question of money to use tubes, so I'm doing fine with acrylic out of bottles, only if I want to create a special effect or need to do a painting with much colour on it (sometimes I do) I take the tubes but I think taking impasto doesnt the trick.
willem