PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics & Pastels

RedShoes
06-04-2001, 02:38 PM
I would like to experiment with this combination. I was at the library and picked out a children's book for one of my young relatives. He's only 3 and I get a kick out of reading him stories. It's also a good bribing tactic sometimes and a great way to stop tears! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif I picked out a book called "Raising Dragons". Don't recall the illustrator but I really admired her work. She used acrylic & pastels on an illustr. board. So, have any of you guys used this combo? What did you think of it?? I loved some of the softness, the powder effect in some areas as well as the vividness. From the example I saw, it looked like the pastels had been used mostly for highlight almost.

carly
06-06-2001, 10:11 PM
I did a couple of paintings using acrylics and pastels. The plus was...the pastels were great for highlighting and sketching (this was a floral piece). Then I washed acrylics over the pastels. Some of it blended into the acrylic but some of it stayed in place...giving unusual texture to the transparent look. On the negative side..the acrylics create a sealed surface which the pastels won't cling to after a couple of washes and then too...I worked on canvas so I wanted all the painting sealed with a final varnish.

You might like to try this combo on watercolor paper (rough) and use the acrylics as washes to begin with. I've also seen watercolors used under pastels like this. Depends on whether you want to frame or not.
carly

------------------
"Everything is not art and Art is not everything, but it comes close."....carly

GC
06-07-2001, 12:08 AM
I have done quite a few pieces using mixed media. I used watercolor/pastel/oil color pencil and pastel often in various combinations, but always on ruff water color paper. I can dig up some examples if anyone is interested. I think it is a lot of fun to combine these different media.

Ginette

LDianeJohnson
06-07-2001, 11:12 AM
Hi RedShoes,

I agree with Carly, to use acrylics or watercolor as a base, then apply soft pastel over top. Two things though...when using acrylic, use a thin layer, as the pastel will not adhere to a thick layer of acrylic. And, use a stiff enough surface like prepared museum board or heavy watercolor paper with a ground for ease in workability and to hold the wash of acrylic/watercolor and pastel.

Diane

------------------
L. Diane Johnson (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/) NAPA, PSA
2001/2002 Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops/)

RedShoes
06-07-2001, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys for all the responses. I am in prep now for my first project with this combo. I'm so psyched!!! Deefox, I will poke around the art store to see if I can find a medium that would enable me to do the layering you suggested. I also have another project that I have been thinking of using it for. First things first though, I plan to get some of that Invisible glove stuff and a respirator as Roan has so wisely suggested.

idahogirl
06-08-2001, 12:03 AM
I often use acrylic washes under pastel. As to the problem of pastel not adhering to the acrylic, seems to me that if you coated the offending area with acrylic medium with some Golden (or other brand) pastel (gritty) ground you could continue on indefinitely. Haven't tried this but seems it would work and would open the door to all kinds of really neat options. I just LOVE this art stuff!

Dee

jasper
06-13-2001, 06:01 PM
all good comments- I use pastels and acrylics together all the time.

the only thing not already mentioned is when I'm unsure of a direction to take in the background of an acrylic painting, I'll draw in with pastels to see what I think- they wipe right off, so I can make trials right on my canvas, then WIPE! and use the paint to finish it up.

RedShoes
06-14-2001, 01:32 AM
Jasper:

That's a really good idea. I had never thought to do that. I can't wait for my respirator to come to try some of these things!!!