PDA

View Full Version : Skin tones on Black Canson???

chookbrown
10-12-2002, 08:03 AM
I have a question about the black Canson Mi Tientes..... as soon as I put down skin colors on it, it appears that the black pigment from the paper has "muddied" the skin tones.... I was using NuPastels...

Have other pastel artists noticed this???

I would appreciate any feedback or tips on this problem....Perhaps I need to use a different black paper...

thank you,

Colleen

gallery523
10-12-2002, 08:29 AM
Black paper does come through, other papers do as well. The trick is to know which paper to choose based on that knowledge. Your ground will always effect your pastel layers. I have an example here, or go to my website and see Sunflowers ( a portrait)

chookbrown
10-12-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by gallery523
Black paper does come through, other papers do as well. The trick is to know which paper to choose based on that knowledge. Your ground will always effect your pastel layers. I have an example here, or go to my website and see Sunflowers ( a portrait)

Thanks gallery, I didn't mean that you could just see the paper, I meant that the pastel turned from a light skin tone to a dark muddy color on top.....the dust itself turned a dark grey color...I'm not sure if it was paper particles or dye or what???

Thanks for your tip, I will go to your website to see..

Colleen

gallery523
10-12-2002, 08:37 AM
Yes I believe we are saying the same thing differently. The muddy look is the black coming through. I tried to send an image to show you but it was too large. On my site Gallery523.com you can see more of what I mean. The black works better on older people, or shadowy scenes.

chookbrown
10-12-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by gallery523
Yes I believe we are saying the same thing differently. The muddy look is the black coming through. I tried to send an image to show you but it was too large. On my site Gallery523.com you can see more of what I mean. The black works better on older people, or shadowy scenes.

Wow!!!! Thanks Gallery, your work is outstanding....you do portraiture so very well.... thank you for the reply... Have you ever sprayed the paper first to stop the black from coming off???

Just wondering...

Thanks again,

Colleen :)

gallery523
10-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by chookbrown

Wow!!!! Thanks Gallery, your work is outstanding....you do portraiture so very well.... thank you for the reply... Have you ever sprayed the paper first to stop the black from coming off???

Just wondering...

Thanks again,

Colleen :)

no, I haven't sprayed first, I only use spray to darken or create a rough texture. One thing that is helpful if you take several strips of various papers tape them together in rows then take your range of pastels and run each one down the sheets to enable you to see what the results are on the different papers.
I visited your site you do wonderful work!

Redsy333
10-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Chooky:D
Hey girly;)
With all my portraits I use Canson Colored Papers, My fav being Blue, the cool color helps me see the skin tones better! Just personal taste I suppose. On Black I actually find them to be to pale.
I prefer to mix my own shades up, by layerer! I start with Burnt Oranges for the warmer spots, then I hit the lighter with a yellow ocher, darks I use redbrowns! Then I go over those with white ( *cringe* as pastels fly at me) LOL blend to the shades I want!
Spray light fixative, then go over with my skin tones:D
I know it sounds like a lot, but just seems to work for me!

Another tip> I spray ( medium amount) the back of my paper before I start, let it set dry then flip and go at it!:D

Seems to adhere the pastel base alil better! And I let them set out for a few days to bind better! Just a tip a fellow artist showed me and so now I just do it automatically! :D

Well now ya have some babble from my peanut gallery:D