PDA

View Full Version : how to really see your paintings

GeraldineNesbitt
10-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Something I've learned from experience, post your paintings then look you will see your errors more easily

maverick
10-11-2002, 06:41 PM
I find this to be true. I don't know if it's the smaller image, or the unforgiving scanner/digital camera, but things you didn't notice before really stand out.

KarenU
10-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Oh my gosh...I completely agree with you guys!! Oftentimes during a painting, I'll take a digital photo and get it onto the computer to look at it. It's amazing the things that you'll notice.

Also, I often turn my painting upside down and have a peek to see if anything stands out.

GeraldineNesbitt
10-11-2002, 06:54 PM
even better than looking at it through a mirror!! although it's scary, when you think your painting is not too bad you see it in a totally different light!! still , it helps

Mo.
10-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Sometimes though it enhances your painting! Because of the reduced size flaws tend to disappear I find.

maverick
10-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Looking at your work upside down or in a mirror shuts down the part of the brain that recognizes it and imposes its own interpretation on it, which is sometimes symbolic. These tricks help you see the work as it really is. It's a great technique to try while actually painting too, then you can concentrate on smaller unrecognizable shapes instead of thinking, hey, this is an eye, and eyes are round, or this is a tree and trees have a hole in them and a branch for a swing. (I'm exaggerating, but I hope you get my point.) Just some very interesting things I've learned from reading one of my very favorite books, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. You've probably heard of it or already read it (popular I think). In that case, forgive me.

Dark_Shades
10-12-2002, 05:40 AM
I agree, I take photos (with digital camera) of all my paintings....and view them through paintshop pro - and quite often you can somehow see them differently and see errors or things you would like to change - if you are good enough with paint shop pro (I am not) you can make changes in there and get an idea of what would look better or not. Im worried about touching and handling pastels (still not quite sure what Im meant to do with them after) but what Ive started doing is printing the photos off and putting them in a clear sleeve and then in a binder, its nice to be able just to flick through your work (admittedly they do lose some of the effects through this) but you get an idea of whats going on, and quite handy to show to others too

Slowdown
10-12-2002, 05:58 AM
I agree, seeing your work from a different perspective, that being scanned or photographed does help you spot mistakes that were not visible at the easel. I think its because whilst you are at the easel painting, there are so many ideas running through your head and questions getting answered in your head about problems that arrise in a painting that you dont have the time or inclination to actually stand back and REALLY see what you have painted (I know that is my problem). Only when the excitement and the rush of painting something has faded and you are seeing it on the computer monitor do you realise that, "hey...that looks odd......hmmm, didnt see that while I was painting..........Yuk!", and then decide whether or not to fix it, or leave it because the fantastic ability to over work a painting that overcomes you might ruin the whole piece all together!!
Hey maverick, what a great book eh! That is the first drawing book that I bought, and the only one I might add. I have heaps of pastel books though:D , have to get my hands on a jackiesimmonds one,...................now where are you jackie........