PDA

View Full Version : My weird alien

ikeda
10-11-2002, 07:22 PM
Hi, my name is David Ikeda.

I'm more of a programmer than artist, being a computer science major, but I have always had a yearning to create visual things, and I love looking through this forum.

My dream is to be able to develop plugins for popular 3D applications such as Maya, Lightwave, Softimage, etc (or better yet, be able to work at a company like Newtek or Alias). I am currently in the process of learning the Lightwave SDK and scripting system.

Of course, it wouldn't be right to be a total tech-head who dreams of adding on to existing 3D programs without understanding the artists' needs and what areas could use improvement. As such, I try to create some art of my own, though most of it turns out rather ugly.

Anyway, introduction aside, here is my latest work in Lightwave. I am still quite a newbie to the program from the client side, though I've developed a few neat plugins to extend its modeling toolset.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2002/alienhead1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2002/alienhead2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2002/alienhead3.jpg

I spent much more time texturing him than modeling him. The model is very simple and took me about 2 and a half hours (more experienced modelers could probably do it ten times faster and have a better-looking model). However, I spent about 5 or 6 hours painting the textures. It was my first time texturing one of my models, and it took my quite a while to figure out how to do it right. I found the texture work to be much more enjoyable than the modeling, having some experience in traditional painting and also in using photoshop. (Note, when I say enjoyed the texturing, I do not include the UV-mapping part, which I found to be rather unpleasant). I still have to finish the rest of his head and body and also paint the sides and back of his head (you can see some stretching around the sides and top since I still have to flatten the uvs in those areas).

Anyway, thanks for reading through my boring introduction. :)

Mo.
10-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Hi David,

Can't get access to view your Alien unfortunately. Try using the uploader.

Cheers,
Mo.

jules042
10-11-2002, 07:44 PM
OMG! thats incredible! artistically speaking.. the second view is my favorite. looks like you really got the texturing down! I love it!

Tino
10-11-2002, 08:05 PM
this is way too cool...:clap:

ikeda
10-11-2002, 08:41 PM
Wow thanks for the nice comments. :) I tried uploading through the wetcanvas uploader and that seemed to fix the problem with the images not displaying - I'm not sure what was up with geocities. I suppose it doesn't like external links to direct files instead of pages (since they can't put annoying pop-ups into your browser that way).

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like it. :) It's really the renderer that does all the magic for me. I love that about 3D modeling: it can take my lifeless models and make em look somewhat interesting through complicated algorithms. All I have to do is take my model and texture and set up some basic lighting and hit render and hope it gives me something nice. If I don't like how it looks, I can always tweak it and change the lighting, camera angles, etc. and try again. Of course the process of creating models and texturing is a demanding process, but it's fascinating to me how it can take that information and render cool stuff.

Here is a shot of the wireframe:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2002/alienhead-wire.jpg

As you can see, it's very simple with relatively few vertices to work with. This should allow me to create facial animation much easier. A greater number of vertices can exponentially increase the time it takes to create the various morph maps required to animate the facial muscles. Instead of modeling in the details, I relied on bump and displacement maps to create the bumps and wrinkles I wanted.

I ultimately want to make him into a full-figured character suitable for animation to incorporate into some of the video games(pre-rendered) that I like to write in my spare time. :)

Guy
10-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Great model Ikeda! Your artistic skills should put you ahead in your field. I'd think your usefulness would extend way beyond writing plug-ins however. Good luck.

jsr88
10-11-2002, 11:26 PM
This is one of the most exciting pieces I've seen anywhere. When the thread first opened, the face seemed to nearly pop off the screen! You did a marvelous job!! All three images are EXCEPTIONAL!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

WELCOME TO WETCANVAS!!

plumpfairy
10-12-2002, 10:14 AM
:D Aloha Ikeda!
I too, welcome you to WC! What a fabulous contribution you make to our art world!
AWESOME alien!
Looking forward to more!:D
jana

mmk
10-12-2002, 07:51 PM
i like the second one best too. AMAZING!:clap: :clap: :clap:

digistyle
10-13-2002, 07:28 PM
Nice work and welcome to WC!

digistyle