PDA

View Full Version : what NOT to do with pastels

Leaf
10-10-2002, 06:30 PM
I've learned some very important lessons today.

1. Don't use your good marble rolling pin to work color into your paper. Sure, it works, trust me it really does but you end up with a red rolling pin even after 10 minutes of thorough scrubbing. :D

2. Don't paint with pastels in your dining room, which has a beautiful cream carpet with designs on it under the table. It has a few more colors now. I've steam cleaned it already and it's still there, permanently stained. I could call it "Art Noveau" or something. I haven't even tried lifting the red crumbles out of the upstairs carpet, which is newish btw. :D

3. Don't count on your nice vacuum cleaner to get the red crumbles out of said newish carpet. It just spreads it around, making your nice mossy green carpet a kind of muddish brown. I didn't even bother trying to steam it out. It's not going to lift. Tried that downstairs. :D

If I'm still married by the time Mr Leaf gets home tonight, it'll be a miracle. *laugh* He's going to banish me and my pastels outdoors for sure, especially when he sees the carpet upstairs.

So this is what it feels like to be a dog who has had an "accident" on the floor and KNOWS "daddy" isn't gonna be happy. :evil: :angel: :D

Leaf

KarenU
10-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Oh Leaf...all I can say is.....been there, done that!!! :evil:

First...if you want to use your rolling pin on your pastels, why not try putting down a piece of tracing paper, or even better glassine on top of your pastel before commencing your rolling. It will definitely prevent the 10 minute wash cycle. The pastel shouldn't stick to the glassine...this is how I layer and store all my finished paintings in my studio.

Second...why don't you hop on over to a hardware store and pick up some cheap plastic used for covering the floor when painting...or even better, get yourself a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that you can put under yourself while you're being creative. When you're done, just take it outside and give it a shake.

Yup..I've learned the same lesson...vacumn cleaners won't pick up pastel, it just tends to spread it nicely into the area that you're trying to clean. And....the steam cleaner only adds to the problem by adding water which seems to spread it even more. :rolleyes:

Shirl
10-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Well looks like I'm not alone:D! All I did was set my table easel on the floor carpet while cleaning off my art table and didn't know it had a bunch of pastel dust in the tray. Not to worry, just get the trusty Wind Tunnel out and get rid of it, right? Ha! Hardly budged. I just tell everyone the dog did it....

I certainly don't want to catch up with you Leaf LOL.

Shirl

sundiver
10-10-2002, 07:12 PM
And now you know why I got rid of all the carpets in the house....especially the cream-colored one! :)

chookbrown
10-10-2002, 08:30 PM
ROFLMAO....Leaf!!!!! You are hilarious and in sooooo much trouble... hehehehe..

I have crappy brown carpet in my office/studio and it has purple all over it and the cushion the cat lays on and the CAT!!!! He sleeps on a box under the easel.

Mr. Leaf is gonna killllll you!!! I'd have the horse saddled up just in case.... hehehe

Thanks for the heads up though I have nice cream carpet upstairs in my new studio and I'm now not gonna move...

Cheers,

Chooky:clap: :clap: :clap:

KarenU
10-10-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Shirl
Well looks like I'm not alone:D! All I did was set my table easel on the floor carpet while cleaning off my art table and didn't know it had a bunch of pastel dust in the tray. .....

Yeah....I have this big drawing board on my easel....it's like 3 feet by 3 feet that I tape my pastel paper to. So one day I'm working on this piece that I'm planning on doing layers of pastel along with layers of fixative. Whenever I spray fixative I do it outside due to the fumes and having a bird in the house. So anyway...I pick up this big board and ughhhhh....it's really heavy, so I prop it on the carpeted floor for a moment before doing the big heave ho to get it outside.......Well you can imagine what happened. A beautiful line of all different colors of pastel was deposited on to my carpeted floor! :rolleyes:

Luvy
10-10-2002, 11:40 PM
I have dark green carpet but luckily haven't messed it up yet. I work at my desk where I have this plastic thing your chair rolls across and I've been thinking of putting down tile in here now *S* Glad I saw this. I'll really have to be careful now. I just bought a workstation table that tilts *S* And it won't fit on my plastic protector. But I do have a colorful keyboard at times. I forget sometimes to push it in and I blow the dust into the garbage can under the keyboard. Somehow it gets on the keyboard *S* But it keeps it out of my face LOL

Birdie
10-10-2002, 11:45 PM
I understand...let me give you an other tip I have learned the hard way......"Don't paint bare foot" and then walk across your carpet.......He will know for sure it wasn't the DOG then, when he see all ten toes.......and a heel inprint.....

Birdie:rolleyes:

Redsy333
10-10-2002, 11:57 PM
Yeppppp,
My whole house is in this white creamy carpet,,, THE WHOLE HOUSE!!!! So I do have the cheap plastic runners down and under my drawing table! And I keep it pretty clean, watch where I step, lay a towel under me and in my lap...just in case.
I wake up to what??? PAW prints all over the living room:eek: !
The bloody cat walked across a box of pastels I left laying open...AHH!
BTW: I did not put the carpet in here....it was all new when I moved in. And not my doing!!! I too prefer the wood/tile flooring!
***SIGH**** Anyone want a Cat? LOL

chookbrown
10-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Redsy333
Yeppppp,
My whole house is in this white creamy carpet,,, THE WHOLE HOUSE!!!! So I do have the cheap plastic runners down and under my drawing table! And I keep it pretty clean, watch where I step, lay a towel under me and in my lap...just in case.
I wake up to what??? PAW prints all over the living room:eek: !
The bloody cat walked across a box of pastels I left laying open...AHH!
BTW: I did not put the carpet in here....it was all new when I moved in. And not my doing!!! I too prefer the wood/tile flooring!
***SIGH**** Anyone want a Cat? LOL

Redsy, LOL.... my darn cat walked across the middle of an iced chocolate cake and left cat prints all over the benches..... wonder who that was....

Chooky

Shirl
10-11-2002, 01:57 AM
Well I can top you all. MY DOG did his business downstairs, stepped all through it and wandered all over the house looking for me. Angry...me? Just picture me "looking for stuff" all over the house. Thank goodness that was before my recent new carpet. I'll take pastels anytime:D:D.

Shirl

Baby Blue Whale
10-11-2002, 03:02 AM
Akasha and Sophie (two rather rambunctious and LARGE dogs) decided that they wanted to help mommy organize her pastels. So, they bumped into my table, pastels went all over the floor and they oh had SUCH a good time rolling all over them. They had such an art deco look. I cried then I laughed because I got to give 'em a bath! :evil:

muhhhhahahahahahahaha!

They're great dogs *sigh*

Warmest,
Laura

bnoonan
10-11-2002, 01:45 PM
I have to tell you all I love this thread and will share it with my honey who swears I do it intentionally.

After hearing about the animals getting into this stuff - I'm a bit relieved.

But why is it that the green pastel stick falls into only the white section of a a carpet that's red and white and black. I don't get it?

Laura - I love the idea of the dogs rolling around in the pastels. I hope you put a piece of canson paper under them and post the results.

b

Mo.
10-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Oh Leaf you've cracked me up, you really have! :D
All I can say is after thoroughly ruining my carpet, which was a light cream colour, I now have a new studio, not quite finished, but getting there, So in the plannning I decided... definitely no carpet, I now have a lovely wood laminated floor, so pastels can powder themselves as much as they like, only problem is with laminated flooring, my computer chair won't stay still! :D

cheers,
Mo.