PDA

View Full Version : Hi! i'm new here...need some comments/tips pls

nazam
10-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Hi !..... I'm new here (to this web and art field). I usually do my drawing in pencils before, but this is my 2nd coloured portrait. I used oil pastels for this artwork. I have a problem with this artwork, I can't blend the black with other colours, it absorbed any other colours. I try to paint thick layers on the black, it seems to work but then my pastel stick will turn black.....I would appreciate tips from you guys and also any comments or critics. Looking forward to learn here....Thanks !:)

bnoonan
10-10-2002, 03:54 PM
Hi there,
Welcome. I'm afraid I won't be much help as I work in soft pastels - not oils. I seem to recall someone talking about using a solvent to actually paint the colors to blend but I defer to the others who are more versed on this.

Best of luck.

Barb

Koert
10-10-2002, 05:24 PM
i don't know much about it either, but i suppose you could try using turpentine

nazam
10-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Thanks bnoonan and koert....I've read about blending oil pastels using turpentine. Not brave enough to try on my artwork, but i've tried roughly on a paper, it works....just that the colours became thinner and i need to improve my hands with brushes...and i'm looking forward to learn the technic of the turpentine brushing..

Anyway, what do u guys think about the painting? Any tips to improve other parts ?

I've bought a box of soft pastels, tried them once. But i can't get them to work the way i wanted to. So, i changed to oil pastels instead. Plus, oil pastels are much more cheaper here.

By the way, if i'm using oil pastels mostly, am i in the wright forum or should i be in the Oil Painting instead?

Thanks guys ! appreciate your reply.

KarenU
10-10-2002, 06:51 PM
Hi nazam....welcome to Wet Canvas!! :D One of the things you might try is putting a layer of acrylic medium over your current layer of oil pastel. Once the acrylic medium dries, you can go back in and add more layers of oil pastel. Yes you can use turpentine (or turpenoid the non-smelly variety) to dissolve the oil pastel and blend it, however, you have alot of black there and I'm not sure how that would work with adding other colors. By using the acrylic medium method, it seals the lower layer of oil pastel so that it does not blend with the new layers of oil pastel.

You might give this a try on some scrap paper before you have a go at it on your portrait. :D Also, this is the right place for oil pastels...we have quite a few folks around here who post oil pastel paintings.

As far as not getting the soft pastels to do what you want them to. If you spend a bit of time going through the forum posts...there is alot of really great instructive material here that I am sure will answer alot of your questions....and if you don't find the answers you're looking for....post a new thread and ask your questions.

sundiver
10-10-2002, 07:05 PM
If your paper is thick enough you can dissolve the thick black with baby oil and a q-tip and wipe it off with paper towell. Give the oil some time to soak into the paper (couple hours) and you can re-apply.
Welcome to WC!:)

pampe
10-10-2002, 07:18 PM
WELCOME!!

You can learn a lot here at this site...either here in the threads or in the lessond.

Keep painting and keep posting!

Pam