PDA

View Full Version : Fisher 400 paper

mang
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone's tried Fisher 400 paper?
I'm tempted to try it for new commissions. Thanks, Margaret.

Ruthie57
08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes I have and I love it! It and pastelmat are my favourites and I have trouble choosing between them tho' I think pastelmat comes out top by a narrow margin.
The advantage of Fisher is that you CAN erase if your drawing's wrong as it doesn't grab the pastel quite as hard as the pastelmat. It possibly takes slightly more pastel too. It takes quite a number of layers before the tooth's full.
Hope you try it and like it!

MJGresko
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
It's #3 on my list. It's kind of a pain to get here in fact I don't know if you can buy it in the US. I ordered mine from England and it was a little expensive. I like Colourfix first, PastelMat second and then the Fisher 400. It tends to make my fingers sore but really holds the pastel well.

IMaybe
08-13-2010, 04:43 PM
:) Take a look in the Gallery / Studio page, front page and look at Arnold Lowery most recent post, he did his painting on just this surface. Looks good to me!! and its archival, can take underpaintings, so seems good enough to try out.

Colorix
08-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I love it, it is perfect for heavy layering. I get it in bulk from the UK It is very similar to the fabled Wallis (possibly less toothy), and Uart 400. In UK, you can now get the US Uart, and it comes in finer grades too (the 400 is the roughest).

Fisher 400 takes wet media, dries flat with just the corners clamped. Is flat and not rolled, doesn't curl by itself. Is of a sand colour. When tooth is filled, it has a very smooth look if one wants it to, or one can get gooey impasto strokes with softies. IMHO, *the* best paper in Europe.

Pastelmat is much softer (lets you keep your fingerprints), but it takes nearly as many layers (but not as much) as Fisher. Is a bit similar to LaCarte, but grabs more and takes wet media. Comes in many colours, and is my second favo.

mang
08-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Brilliant, thanks for all that detailed advice, particularly Charlie..I've sent for a supply today
Margaret

Ruthie57
08-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Let us know what you think of it will you Margaret?

mang
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Sure, I'll post the results!

mang
09-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, here she is..I really like the paper, and the detail and fine work it allows. I'm definitely buying more..http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2010/99038-girl.jpg

Finvarra
09-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Absolutely stunning!

I have a small sample of Fisher 400 which I haven't got around to trying yet, I've been using pastelmat, which I love. Did you fix your painting? If not, do find the final layers are still adhering well?

Cheers
Lesley

Colorix
09-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Margaret, she's gorgeously painted, she glows!

Lesley, neither paper needs fixative, even when oversaturated with pigment dust.

gingersnap
09-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Margaret,

Your gift of transcending the feeling and personality of the sitter to the viewer is incredible. Emotion in the strokes...look forward to more posts. If you ever come to Dartmouth let me know!

Ginger

saramathewson
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow, she is gorgeous!

I think this paper definitely agrees with you! You captured the heart and soul of the lovely girl:)

Sara

mang
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks Sara Ginger and Charlie.
Lesley; I try not to use fixative, I find the results a bit too unpredictable.
The only time I've tried it with sanded paper is when I've removed part of a painting and want to make sure the new layers don't pick up any 'mud'
Margaret

mrking
09-07-2010, 11:26 PM
If Fisher 400 is anything like Uart 400, it is my number 1, Wallis is 2nd.

RainySea
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
That is beautiful!!!

mang
09-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks Rainy; what's Uart 400 like? Must be good if it's above K wallis!

Tahloola
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Your painting is so amazing!

shandorfpainter
12-08-2016, 02:32 PM
The previous posts are a long time ago; I bought some fisher 400 a couple of years ago and thought it was great until I started to notice how unevenly it picks up the pastel. It takes a lot of pastel buildup before it starts to look even, or a lot of very hard blending, which then deadens the color. I generally use the side of the pastel stick, and I find it very frustrating to be unable to get a stroke that isn't blotchy. Impossible to scumble a different color over another a to create a transparent effect, or a veil of color, even after quite a lot of pastel has been applied. Much harder to work with in comparison with UArt 500. Probably not the best choice if you like to work with the side of the pastel stick rather than linear strokes with the tip.

Ruthie57
12-08-2016, 04:25 PM
But, if you don't like the uneven pick up, you can put down one layer as a block in and "blend" it with a packing peanut or pipe insulation to fill those gaps. then paint away with no problem :)

Ruthie57
12-08-2016, 04:32 PM
Or you can use it's tendency to advantage. No blending at all in this, just layering. The photo doesn't really do the texture and vibrancy justice I guess.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2016/189061-Dreams_of_Summer_12x9.5.jpg

Moqui Steps
12-08-2016, 10:51 PM
I found the 400 too fine of a grit in any sanded paper for my usual style. I seem to recall an email communication over a year ago with the folks in the UK that said they were possibly going to produce a 320 grit but I still don't see it on the web site.

I lean towards 240 to 320 grit most of the time these days but I still do use the 400 sometimes when I know I am not going to do a lot of layers.

robertsloan2
12-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Ruthie, that is awesome! I love when people pick up old threads. Colorix gave me a piece of Fisher 400 that I really liked, used up, but can't get it here. I'd certainly recommend it.

I love that light effect you got in the center, it's glorious. The texture of the sky is wonderful, scumbled soft edges and cloudy wispiness. I believe you about the photo though, photos tend to make a lot of hues combine into one flat one and that can get frustrating.