PDA

View Full Version : Pentalic Nature Sketch

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 12:36 AM
I did it... with all these sketchbooks in progress, I started another one. But two of them are very close to being finished. The Scribble Sketch Book has only eight pages left. My All-Media Book has only five and a half sheets left, or 10 and a half pages... and then they are completely full, ready to be shelved and retired except when I look things up in them.

Sandra (Gakinme) bought some Pentalic Nature sketchbooks with 130lb paper in them a while back and raved about them. I dithered about that because, well, I had already replaced the nearly-full sketchbooks and have so many others in progress that it seemed crazy to get yet another sketchbook or two.

But then temptation completely overwhelmed my common sense and I bought two of the Pentalic Nature Sketch sketchbooks. They do have 130lb paper, it's a light warm white paper with a lot of tooth and a bit of a wove texture. Not as much texture as Canson mi-Tientes paper, more like a cold press watercolor paper. Best of all, it's nearly as heavy as regular 140lb watercolor paper. I picked up two of them, one 5" x 7" and one that's 8 1/2" x 11".

Here's a scan of the cover of my 5" x 7" one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2010/70184-Pentalic-Nature-Sketch.jpg

The larger one has the same cover design -- and that handy letter size that fits on my scanner bed the way the ProArt ones do. This one's $5.67 at Blick, the letter size one is $10.56 and other sizes are available. A portion of the proceeds get donated by Pentalic to the American Wildlife Foundation, which is part of why I didn't mind spending a little more for these.

But the big one costs significantly less than the Canson All Media Field Book that I used for my All Media Book, while being a more convenient size. That one went for $20, while my Moleskine Folio was $24 or so. These might be a good bargain for an all media sketchbook.

I'm going to be trying all of my water mediums in it, to see if the rugged 130lb paper performs as well as the heavily sized 90lb watercolor paper in the All Media Book. If it does, maybe I'll stash the replacement All Media Book in the Sketch Folio that it's currently stored in and save it for trips when I use that Sketch Folio to carry some compact supplies.

So let's explore it together with any medium I can think of to throw at it. I wonder if pages can be primed with Colourfix clear or colored sanded pastel primer, for oil pastels or pastel sketching. I wonder how well acrylics will work on this surface, or watercolor by itself, or watercolor pencils, or Neocolor II watersoluble crayons.

I'm about to find out what pen and wash will do on it.

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 12:52 AM
I waited for days since my Blick package arrived, looking at my brand new sketchbooks, so tempted to start them. I promised myself that I'd wait till I'd finished up one of the others and did some more pages in both the Scribble Sketch book and the All-Media book.

Tonight I lost control and started the 5" x 7" one. It's too new and clean and tempting. It's got a lovely watercolor on the cover as an example, and if I use it up fast just experimenting with this and that, then I can donate more to the AWF by replacing it, right?

So now I'm posting its first page as a WIP. Let's find out how pen and wash works on it. This is a challenge piece for the WDE, using the Invitation photo by Crystalline174. I liked the sandpiper or sandpiper-like bird in the photo, so cropped out everything else to just the bird. Then I blocked the bird in lightly with pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2010/70184-Bird-Wader-Stage-1.jpg

Now I love this sketchbook.

I did my sketch very lightly with an HB Blick Studio graphite pencil. Normally a sketch this light would be seriously broken up by the scan and by the time I darkened it enough to see by tweaking in Gimp, it'd still be broken up but the page would be dark gray. The slightly warm color of the paper and its toothy texture scanned better. When I raised the Levels slide it darkened the paper to a brownish-beige color - it's really near white - but all my lines show clearly, even the faintest ones.

Point one for this sketchbook. Graphite drawings in it are scannable! Even very light ones for tutorials can be scanned, I don't need to go over them with 9B and then redo them for the next stage. Whoohoo!

These lines are very faint in the original, easily erased completely. Following the process from a recent video at artistsnetworktv.com, (http://artistsnetworktv.com) Keys to Drawing Realistic Animals with Claudia Nice, I used geometric blocking to place the bird on the page and then made up a background for it. Because it looks like a sandpiper to me, I put it on a seashore and kept the shore simple, but gave a good diagonal for the composition.

This stage of sketching is exploring. It's part of planning a painting. I didn't do a separate value sketch of it, but I easily could. I can visualize the values in it pretty much based on the values of the bird, and I might actually do the penwork in the background after painting it in to keep it looser and less detailed so that the focal point is the bird. Or not. I'll see how it looks when the bird's inked.

I've also got a question for you.

I'm considering shelving the other two sketchbooks as they are, since I've just started the Blick Book which has thin white paper like the Scribble Sketch Book and now have just started this one, which has heavy water-happy paper like the All Media Book.

Do you think I should finish those off or just shelve them with a few pages left at the end so that if I go back years later, I might add something or develop something that's already in them in more depth? By leaving a few extra pages, it might be convenient for say, working up a larger composition around the cougar or the blue heron or the coral reef ones in the All Media Book.

Or I can fill those up to the very last page before putting them up on the shelf. So I'd like pro and con votes on that, even if I can't add a poll to this thread. I know I've got a lot of threads going on this forum because I have so many sketchbooks going, maybe it's time to let a couple of them slide into the "filled" category and focus on the new ones. Let me know what you think.

RiJoRi
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, I keep a Strathmore 3 1/2 x 5 Sketchbook in my hip pocket. The earlier one had gotten abused in that the front cover was falling off, so when I got down to a half-dozen pages, I said, "the heck with it," and went for a fresh one.

FWIW, the cover on the first one has been attached with duct tape, and a pair of rubber bands keeps the new cover aligned with the sheets of the pad.

--Rich

DrDebby
08-10-2010, 12:58 PM
It depends on how you feel about "finished". I have a number of written journals (many more than sketchbooks) that have the last few pages blank. Sometimes it was a matter of today's entry was going to be larger than I had pages for. Sometimes it was a new journal tempting me. I'm ok with a few blank pages at the end because my written journals are about my thoughts and my life, not about "finished". I would think the same thing would apply to sketchbooks. It's about life, not about finished. For other people, a few blank pages means failure, failure to finish something they started. It makes them feel unworthy, etc. This in turn will effect their art in the next sketchbook.

A thought. If you put up the sketchbooks with a few blank pages in the back, then at some point in the future, if you find yourself out of sketchbooks, you can pull one down and continue to sketch while you wait for the arrival of some new books.

And, thank you for a WIP of your pen and wash technique.

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Rich and Debby, thank you! I think that's what I'm going to do. I seem to have moved over already. Debby, that was exactly what was at the back of my mind. If at some point I've run out of sketchbooks I can go back and start using the last pages of the ones I've completed. I like that.

There's something so final about going to the very last page that it bothers me too. I might never go back and look at it if I finished that last page, just stash it on a shelf and not look back. So those are done, and these two somewhat smaller ones are my current watermedia and dry sketching sketchbooks. I still have another large ProArt one, but I think I'll finish up that gift from Blick before I haul it out.

Here's the next stage of my pen and wash sandpiper. I used my color Pigma Micron pens, size 05, in orange, sepia, black, brown, violet and the brighter, greener blue.

I decided to use stippled lines and broken lines to make them softer in a number of areas. I missed a black detail though, the tail feathers have distinct black areas so I'll go add those in before proceeding with the wash.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2010/70184-Bird-Sandpiper-WDE-Stage-2.jpg

Vivien Maloney
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Robert - I agree with Debbie and as you have a brand new Sketchbook, which you are excited about using I'd go with that. There's nothing worse than using an old Sketchbook, just so you can get it finished, especially when a lovely new one beckons!

You will probably go back at some time, when you feel like it, and complete some pages in your other sketchbooks - the choice is yours. But I feel, now you have begun your new sketchbook, you will want to continue using it.

It looks a good sketchbook to use and I can see why your excited about it. Looking forward to seeing more work in this one.

vhere
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
It sounds a lovely book and I agree - go with it! There's nothing so nice as working on paper that you really like.

Carole A
08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Robert ~
I have 3 sizes of the Pentalic Nature Sketch books. The 8.5 X 11 is going to be for lessons from WC and instruction books. I tried a page with just scribbles and watercolor to see how it would behave. It buckled at first but was fine after 12 hours or so.

I have a 5 X 7 book that is going into a bag with a small compact of pans and some water brushes for travel. And I bought a 6 X 12 - just because. It's on the shelf, waiting for the perfect use.

Carole A

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Thank you! Vivien, you're right. The last few pages could easily wind up forced, not come out as well as they would if I decided to go back later at a time I'm intrigued by them. Or when I can't lay my hands on another one with that paper. They'll go on the shelf and I'll have fun with these new ones.

Viv, yep, you're so right! I'm doing the washes on the first page now and love that heavy paper. I went with a lot more water than I normally use in the All Media Book and am getting good results.

I've also noticed that the two sides of the paper are different. The back is a smooth side, probably unsized. Since I like using just one side of the page for water mediums, this is a good thing. I can leave the backs blank without feeling like I'm wasting it.

Carole, I have my eye on the 6" x 12" one too, I'll probably get it next month. That shape of painting intrigues me. I think acrylics may work well on this paper, and that 6" x 12" one will be good for either doing two square paintings on a page - another format I like - or something very wide and panoramic.

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Finished at last. The watercolor wasn't just simple coloring, I had to do some careful shading and some very small details in it. I didn't go back with black ink for the tail feathers, I painted them in Sodalite Genuine which gave them a slightly different, bluer black.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2010/70184-Bird-Shorebird-Stage-3-Done.jpg
Shore Bird
5" x 7"
Color Pigma Micron pens and watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb drawing paper.
Photo reference by Crystalline174 for August 6 WDE.

I used a wet in wet technique for the sky, and think I won't be abandoning my 90lb multi media books just yet. This paper is good with light washes, but if I soak it first, the top surface starts to show damage. I think I'll stick with light washes and do more serious watercolor paintings with wet in wet areas on more heavily sized papers.

JTMB
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice work on the shorebird, Robert! You'll find birds are addicting...:lol: ! I love to start new sketchbooks, but try to discipline myself to actually finish a couple. I did start a new one on the raft trip I just went on, but it's more for compositional thumbnails and quick value studies for paintings - so not really material for this forum. I also have at least one sketchbook of this make, though I have used it for mostly dry media so far.

DrDebby
08-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice finish. I really like how you combine ink and water color. Too bad the paper won't take heavy washes.

I did check the sketch book out on Blick and the spiel says light washes. I've got 3 empty sketch books right now, plus I just ordered some HP water color paper. I think this book will have to wait.

virgo68
08-11-2010, 12:08 AM
:clap: Good job with the first page Robert - and fun to watch it progress. You never fail to give me ideas about how to use media in different ways - I have been wondering how the heck to use some of my coloured pens, now I have an idea..... :D

:lol: I must confess I was having a bit of a giggle reading through the posts (in a good natured way!) because I was thinking what a funny bunch we artists are. I am the same when I get new supplies - do I finish what I have or dive in and try the new stuff? I thought I was the only one torturing myself over the "agony" of indecision about using my new "stash" :evil:

What a nice feeling it must be though, to work all the way through and use a whole book - congratulations - they will be wonderful references for you in the future :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
08-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks, John. I think you're right, birds are addictive. I love doing them. But then, drawing my cat is addictive too. I'll never pose them from life together.

I've been steadily filling up old sketchbooks for a long time now. I decided to grip that bull by the horns back in 2006 or so and at that time decided to keep only one in each size range active at a time. The one in the Scribble Sketch Books thread is actually the second one of its size and type, the first one was the first large sketchbook I'd ever filled up completely in my life.

So I think a few token pages at the end are just a fine point -- the books are full for all practical purposes, but I'll go back into them more often if I know there's a few last pages available. This isn't like when I'd do a dozen pages and then get a new sketchbook, or worse, do a dozen pages and bang through several others till it got flood damaged so I'd rip out those pages and toss the rest.

Debby, I'll continue with the Water Folio when I need to use heavy washes. It's not like I don't have other alternatives. I picked up an Arches Carnet de Voyage at Daniel Smith in order to get free shipping on my order, because it was on deep discount sale for Molly Murrah's watercolor class. Now I'm thinking these watercolor journals with fewer pages may be a good idea because I'll finish them faster but they can still be shelved. It'd also be easier to theme them.

So I'll probably do more things like I've been doing in the All-Media Book - watercolor pencils washed, sketch and wash, pen and wash without doing wet in wet on it. If I want to do something really soggy, I'll open up the Arches one and indulge.

I love HP watercolor paper. It's wonderful stuff. Enjoy it!

Jackie, thanks! I tend to experiment more now and especially at the start of a new book. That always gives me an itch to do something different with it, set off in a new direction. It's fun and inspiring!

It is a great feeling to complete an entire sketchbook though. It always surprises me when I do, and there's also a little sadness that I am completely done with that one, its memories folded up on the shelf and put into the past. I'll have to take them all out sometime and flip through them again to compare them, see how much I've grown.

robertsloan2
08-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Did some more pen and wash, this time with lighter washes. Didn't get the paper surface tearing up this time the way it did in the sky of the shorebird. The washes do behave a little different than they do on watercolor paper. Because the surface is so absorbent, they don't move around as much. It's going to be fun contrasting this with my Moleskine Water Folio, which I haven't abandoned at all. Just having fun with the new ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2010/70184-3-Shells-Pen-And-Wash-8-11-2010.jpg
3 Shells from Life
5" x 7"
Sakura Pigma Micron colors brown, sepia, blue-black, violet, burgundy
Yarka Professional watercolor pans
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb paper.

Davkin
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Great stuff Robert. I have one of these sketchbooks as well, though I haven't got around to doing anything with it yet. Collecting seems to be an affliction of all hobbiests. I have another hobby that I end up collecting stuff for that I may never get around to using! :lol: Kinda the same thing with projects. I haven't start a new project before I finished the current one. Some times I think I only like to start things. :lol:

David

Anne-Marie
08-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Robert!

I wasn't able to see the images of your Dick goodie's thread, so I was glad to be able to see these!

LOVE those shells! Shells are definitely one of your "things". I especially like the way you hatched the shadow and them did a light wash over the hatching. It gives me some ideas for what I can do.

I also like the gray wash over the left side of the shell--it really gives a great feel to the shell.

I have a couple questions: for the rows of double lines on the shell--did you use two separate Micron colors, one a sepia and the other a lighter color?

Also: I didn't realize that one could watercolor OVER micro? i.e. it's permanent? Is that right? It is a very cool look.

I also like the sandpiper. Love the use of colors on that one. I have been yearning for Daniel Smith's sodalite for years, but something else always seems to take precedence. Now that I see it in action, though, I'm interested anew!

Re: the should-you-finish-or-should-you-move-on question in regards to the notebooks. I agree with what Debby said. So much depends on the person, and how they feel about such things, i.e. if it will nag at you and distract you if you don't finish. I myself am a big believer in Feng Shui, one of the components of which is aligning one's actions with that that gives you energy and strength. For instance, my friend Regina Leeds has written several books on organzing and feng shui. She always insists that before you undertake a new project that you honor yourself and your intentions by getting new materials, i.e. a new notebook (she advises the use of a notebook for journal exercises as part of her system). This is not about consumerism or spending money; it doesn't have to be an expensive notebook. But there is something about the energy of something "new"--that itch that you describe, the inspiration to use it. For me, that is the most important thing--finding ways to locate and capitalize on motivation and inspiration. I do not want to waste things willy-nilly because that would not feel good, but in terms of just a few pages at the end of the book . . . why drag yourself to the task of filling them just to fill them? Why make art--which is something so joyful for you--a chore? There's no reason for it.

You are not a wasteful person. You do not order hundreds of dollars of supplies and never use them. It's also true (IMO) that anyone who has any kind of health issues should absolutely predicate what will raise their energy level. You deserve pleasure and joy and fun! I say: indulge and enjoy! indulge and enjoy!

robertsloan2
08-12-2010, 01:50 AM
David, I know that feeling. I've run into that with other hobbies and still have half finished projects from hobbies I haven't done in years. They'd be cool stuff if I ever got around to finishing them. But for me it also alternates with an itch to finish something - anything - and so at times I'll go through all of my projects in progress, pick whatever's nearest to done and work on it.

I have a certain comfort zone for unfinished projects and if I have too many, I get the finishing itch. If I don't have any, I go nuts starting things for a while till I do have several to choose from when I'm in a finishing mood.

I also figured out after this move that sometimes it has a lot to do with where and how I live. If it's easy to get at the stuff, I use it more. If it's buried because of a move, or it's something that takes more space than I have, then it goes fallow till I move again or reorganize my stuff.

Filling sketchbooks is a relatively new habit. I didn't start actually filling them till only a few years ago, around when I got to WetCanvas. I'd use them and then buy a new one. I've still got several around that only have a few pages done in them because I didn't like something about it - like how it scans. Hardbound ones are more frustrating that way than spiral binding ones. I just have to get used to leaving more margin near the binding on hardbound ones if I go back to fill them.

Which I might do sometime so there's no way I'll get rid of them.

I recently reorganized my stuff, a year after moving in. That's made some mediums a bit easier to get at, so I might actually start doing acrylics or oils again sometime. Maybe even on paper and put them in some of these books.

Anne-Marie, yes, I used both Sepia and Brown pens on the wide bivalve shell at the bottom. I alternated them. I used Sepia for the vertical lines and then did Sepia for the horizontals alternating with space, then did the horizontals in the alternate ones in Brown because on the real shell those stripes were there but distinctly lighter.

Daniel Smith's Sodalite is beautiful. I use it the same way I use Payne's Grey on various paintings. It's very similar, a blue-black, but it granulates more and it's very rich. You'll probably love it. I especially like it for shadows and as a monochrome color, as well as a darkener for cool colors. Sepia makes a good warm colors darkener.

I like that principle of feng shui. I do buy hundreds of dollars of supplies and I do use them. So there's constant flow through even if I stockpile so that I can relax about not running out. I'm not going to run out of sketchbooks or pastel paper or watercolor paper anytime soon, so I relax and paint more. What I don't like is having only a limited quantity of supplies and feeling a pressure to make every brush stroke count and every sketch a perfect finished drawing worthy of selling (whether I'm selling art or not). That tends to make me freeze up, stress, procrastinate without doing anything and then screw up when I finally do anything because I'll have a fibromyalgia flare.

When I stockpile like that it does another good thing. If I meet someone who's interested, I can kit up that beginner and teach, without their needing to already have money and go out and get something. Then years later I'll see their art online, see them using and enjoying it and get a warm glow about it.

mhimeswc
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Robert, I like what you've done in your new sketchbook so far - the shorebird and the shells are both terrific. It's funny how we keep trying different sketchbooks and find that they are good for some things and not for others. I too have a lot of different sketchbooks, some finished but many with only a few pages done. And I too am trying to fill them before buying too many new ones, but I'm a sucker for a new fresh book. LOL

DrDebby
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
The shells are absolutely gorgeous.

robertsloan2
08-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Mickey, that's a good reason to have and use multiple sketchbooks. Eventually they do all fill up but rotating them also gives some excitement and variety changing mediums. I think it would be frustrating to stick to just one and not get to use different paper till it was full.

Both of you, thanks! I took my time on the shells and like how they came out - though the washes did behave very different on the Pentalic paper. I'm starting to get a feel for it. This is washed too, but barely visible. The lines softened slightly and there's a very faint tint but not much. I think the no-name clinic ballpoint pen's more or less waterproof.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2010/70184-Hunt-188-2-thru-6.jpg
Scavenger Hunt #188 items 2-6
5" x 7"
No-name ballpoint pen free from a clinic
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb off-white textured absorbent paper.
Everything's from life of course, just whatever I saw that fit the space on the paper and looked interesting.

Anne-Marie
08-12-2010, 11:37 PM
. . . for me it also alternates with an itch to finish something - anything - and so at times I'll go through all of my projects in progress, pick whatever's nearest to done and work on it.

I have a certain comfort zone for unfinished projects and if I have too many, I get the finishing itch. If I don't have any, I go nuts starting things for a while till I do have several to choose from when I'm in a finishing mood.

I also figured out after this move that sometimes it has a lot to do with where and how I live. If it's easy to get at the stuff, I use it more. If it's buried because of a move, or it's something that takes more space than I have, then it goes fallow till I move again or reorganize my stuff. . .
I recently reorganized my stuff, a year after moving in. That's made some mediums a bit easier to get at, so I might actually start doing acrylics or oils again sometime.. ..
I like that principle of feng shui. I do buy hundreds of dollars of supplies and I do use them. So there's constant flow through even if I stockpile so that I can relax about not running out. I'm not going to run out of sketchbooks or pastel paper or watercolor paper anytime soon, so I relax and paint more. What I don't like is having only a limited quantity of supplies and feeling a pressure to make every brush stroke count and every sketch a perfect finished drawing worthy of selling (whether I'm selling art or not). That tends to make me freeze up, stress, procrastinate without doing anything and then screw up when I finally do anything because I'll have a fibromyalgia flare.

Yes, that is a key principle of Feng Shui: the concept of plenty. When you feel like you have plenty, you are more free to experiment (I just wrote "experience" by accident--but it does free one up for more experiences too, I think) :)

One of the things that's sort of stopping me now is that I bought a batch of velour and Wallis paper when I was in Seattle at the end of June and I'm thinking "I'm gonna run out soon." And so this is holding me back some. I am planning a Blick extravaganza but am hopelessly, hopelessly cheap: I simple cannot buy stuff from them for full price when I know darn well that they have sales on all the time. Unfortunately for me, just as I was ready to make my order, all sales have mysteriiously ground to a halt (or maybe not so mysteriously, as it is back-to-school time) And so I'm waiting, waiting, waiting. I need Wallis paper. I need the pastel ground you reviewed on the Blick site. I think I'm going to get the Ludwig sunset set and the 19-36 Unison green set . . . but no, I absolutely cannot do it at full price. And so here I am, doing exactly what I should be: counting out my pages of Wallis paper and rationing them out . . .

PS--I love DS sepia--it's one of my favorites. My two favorite DS colors are sepia and indigo. I think DS's indigo is the best! I also like "cote d'azur violet"--if you haven't tried it, you simply must!

Anne-Marie
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Very cool new page, by the way. Is it me or has your style undergone a change since June or so? The new sketches here have a different feel than what I remember. You other stuff had a kind of underground, illustrated novel feel to them--quirky and the line was more hesitant. The new illustrations on your third page seem to have a quality of illustration--i.e. bold, confident lines. The water in the glass has such movement! Do you experiment with different styles as well when you go from one notebook to another?

DrDebby
08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
More cool sketches. You have never ceased to amaze me.

robertsloan2
08-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Anne-Marie, thank you! I don't know if my style has gone through another change or not. I might have -- if my pen work is getting stronger, then it's probably all the practice I've had lately. I drew my cat in pen 26 times in a row, that's got to help! Now you've got me curious enough to go back and flip through my full sketchbooks checking the dates!

I do experiment sometimes, but when I go to a new sketchbook, sometimes the paper affects how I handle it. That's not a deliberate style change but a response to the surface. This paper is very different from the All-Media Book in how it handles a wash and how it takes pencil. It's glorious for pencil and dry work, and it's just plain odd when it comes to washes. I like both, but think there's some dramatic difference between this and the All-Media book.

New paper always makes me want to test it out with everything I've got. There are some experiments I still want to try in this book, things I haven't even done in others. Like using Pan Pastels for a dry wash with pen work.

I know what you mean, it's so frustrating waiting for Blick to start running their coupons again. I hesitate to order anything until they do. Come on, I'm a regular. I wait for the particular coupon that fits what I'm doing - the low minimum order one if I don't have a lot of budget, the lots-off big orders coupon if I've got a full budget.

That's got to be driving you nuts with the Wallis and velour paper. Go ahead and use it though. I don't really think Blick has gotten rid of those coupons for good. I'm tempted to call them and ask if they're honoring other suppliers' coupons as well as shipping promotions - there's been some good percentage off ones at Jerry's and so on that would be just as good as the usual Blick coupon.

I have something big in the cart - the full range set of Blick Artist Pastels, since they just doubled it - but I'll have to wait anyway for budget reasons. September's spoken for, October's when I have to renew my website and won't spend more than $25 if that, so the soonest I can do a big Blick order would be November anyway. Sigh. It's happier when I can do Blick every month, but sometimes something comes up.

Debby, thank you! I'm constantly growing and once in a while amaze myself too if something I thought was hard turns out to be easy. Or if it was hard but when I'm done it comes out lots better than I thought it would.

Today, here's a WDE painting to start it off. How could I resist the kitten?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2010/70184-Nolan-Kitten-WDE-8-13-10.jpg
For Laundry Warming, Call Nolan!
5" x 7"
Derwent watercolour pencils and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy off-white paper
Photo reference by Valri_Ary for WDE August 13, 2010

DrDebby
08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
The kitten is great. Did the paper accept the lighter wash on the water color pencil as opposed to the wet in wet?

robertsloan2
08-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Yep. I had no problem with the paper doing watercolor pencil - though it handled different, has a slightly different look than it gets on the sized 90lb watercolor paper. I like both in different ways. I'm also getting used to watercolor and washes on this because it's good and thick, there's a lot of pages and it's very portable if I go out.

This page is pure watercolor, but I didn't do much wet in wet. Some areas had washes but I didn't go back into them repeatedly, just let them dry or charged colors in while they were still sloshy without stirring them up. Wet on dry seems to work fine with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2010/70184-Big-Aspen-Little-Pine-Ref-by-Davkin.jpg
Big Aspen, Little Pine
5" x 7"
Winsor & Newton Artists' Watercolour
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized off-white paper.
Photo reference from Davkin, used with permission.

Davkin
08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Great sketch of that photo Robert! I love it!

David

Anne-Marie
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
OMG!!! THAT KITTEN!!!!! Completely adorable!

I don't know what WDE means. Have to look it up . . . .

That's a good idea about calling Blick to see if they will honor other's coupons. Ultrect (sp?) emailed a coupon for 20% off. The thing is, their regular prices are so high ($10 more for an 18 set Unison, for example) that it's not worth it. Plus their selection isn't good at all.

I guess it's a (sort of) good thing to be forced to wait. I didn't buy any art supplies at all in July, after loading up on beginning sets of pastels in June (Faber Castell's complete; Mount Vision green, red, and thunderstorm, and Ludwig's Maggie Price) I know you and I talked about Faber Castell's watercolor pencils, and although I have a full set, I expressed disappointment with them. The pastels are so different! It's so strange! They are GREAT! I like them much, much, MUCH better than NuPastels, for instance. Also, one of my complaints when you and I were discussing this is that I found the F-C color range to be pointlessly repetitive. No so with the pastels! With the pastels, I can really see the slight variations in colors. The texture is very nice, too, the best between the three or four hard pastel lines out there (createacolor is a close second, but doesn't have as many colors; holbein is just too ridiculously priced to consider).

As for your work, I didn't mean to imply (at all!) that your former work was weak--it was just very different. Look at the sketches you did when you were doing Suzette (or Suzanne?) Morrow's (I think?) 21 day habit, and you'll see what I mean. You did a lot more cartooning type things. They had an underground, kind of subversive vibe. I found them spellbinding.

Now these--yes, I guess some might say that the drawing is "stronger" in that it is more confident and bold. It's more like professional illustration. I love it--I love the movement, I love the line work. The darks are darker and there is a terrific sense of texture. But I also loved your earlier stuff too. It had a different feel, and was right for what you were expressing (I'm thinking of the pages when you were thinking of your childhood). I just didn't know if the switch in style was deliberate, or due to change in materials or whatnot.

DrDebby
08-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice trees. I loved the scene when I saw the photograph. Your rendition is beautiful.

robertsloan2
08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
David, thank you! I saved off some more of your photos and asked permission before they vanished, I think you hadn't answered about the last couple of them. I love your hiking photos and may want to do a series with them. I can't do things like that, so your photography is the next best thing. I have seen places like that in life too, so that memory comes up while painting.

Anne-Marie, thank you! Now I understand. Most of what I did in Suzette Morrow's workshop was painful, both emotionally and thanks to the fibromyalgia, physically. I deliberately chose a rough style to do it, partly to cover for shaking hands, blurred vision and other physical symptoms of dealing with traumatic memories.

I've always liked underground comics. My style changes per subject. It's like when I pick up watercolors or sumi-e ink and deliberately do Sumi-E strokes and try for a minimal Asian inspired painting. Every time I do, it comes closer to the true style I'm striving for and by now it's at a point where I can tell that it's mine. It's just not the only style I have.

That style for me always means "Heavy." The content has to be strong - either social criticism, or witness to historical horrors, or strong political and social statements of some kind. It's a style that needs a message to work, I don't think I'd enjoy doing happy whimsy in that style. Or if I did, it'd be all about marijuana humor and be The Lighter Side Of Heavy.

When I do it again is up in the air. But it is an actual style of mine, just like the Faux Asian, and I've got several projects on the back burner in that style. Including the one I started in that workshop, Historical Horrors.

That one may have a current topical bite to it, because while disabled kids do get IEPs now, a lot of schools have bad policies about bullying. Others have good anti-bullying programs that are always immensely popular among the kids. First graders unanimously voted it in at one school I read about.

That's what underground comics are for, even if they're funny. So that's what my Crumb-y style is good for, and I won't ditch it.

Right now I'm more focused on making myself happy. So glad you like my adorable kitten! When I draw something like Nolan, then I literally kick the pain in the teeth. My vision clears. My hands don't shake. My line gets strong and steady and I smile while I'm drawing without realizing it.

Debby, thank you! I succeeded in what I wanted to do with that photo when I first saw it, so I feel good about that scene. I may expand on something like it in a bigger painting, but I don't know what medium yet. Anything in my sketchbook is also a launching point for future major projects.

Davkin
08-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Robert, (and everybody else) just assume you have free reign to do whatever you want with the photos I post on here unless I say otherwise, (I don't forsee that happening.)

David

mhimeswc
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I love the kitten and the birch trees. The kitty is so cute! I'm going to Maine soon, and the birch trees remind me of Maine, one of my favorite places.

robertsloan2
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Thank you! David, I may do an entire series of your photos and I'll be saving every one from now on. They're so good. You're a great photographer as well as artist.

I do the same thing when I post photos - they're "as if in the RIL." When they get the servers sorted out and I can actually contribute to the RIL, I'll probably put them in it, at least some of them. I don't know if anyone would really want to do a sketch of my working area when I've cleaned it up but those are open to draw from too.

Mickey, thank you! Yep, that kitten was so cute I couldn't resist drawing him. They're so much fun at that age. Sounds like you'll have fun on your trip to Maine! It's probably just the right time of year to go, though fall would be great too. I'm not sure I'd want to be in Maine in the winter but in the summer it's beautiful.

robertsloan2
08-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Another medium tested in the Pentalic Nature Sketch! Today I decided to try oil pastels and do the August Oil Pastel Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2010/70184-August-OP-Challenge-Squirrel.jpg
August Oil Pastel Challenge
Squirrel in a Tree
5" x 7"
Pentel oil pastels used with W&N Sansodor turpentine substitute
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb off white heavy drawing paper.
Photo reference by scarefishcrow.

I also tried my new can of Sennelier Oil Pastels Fixative on it, with four thin coats after I'd scanned the squirrel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2010/70184-August-OP-Challenge-Squirrel-Fixative.jpg
Scanned after using Sennelier D'Artigny Oil Pastel Fixative
After the fixative dried, running my fingers lightly over the painting did not pick up any residual color (it did before the fixative). Wiping the scanner bed did not pick up any crumbs or residual color. I don't see any difference, the fixative seems definitely clear.

This may reduce the amount of smearing on the back of the page before this one. I also found out with this painting that the Pentalic Nature Sketch paper stands up very well to thinner washes, so I may use more wet techniques with oil pastels on it.

virgo68
08-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Robert, I haven't been able to look in for a few days - you have achieved so much! What a great exploration of media in such a few pages - I personally like the watercolour washes best as a medium but the kitten and squirrel are so cute ;)

DrDebby
08-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Awww! Cute squirrel.

robertsloan2
08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Jackie and Debby, thank you! Here's some more watercolor washes with pen work this time - sepia pen work.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2010/70184-August-Pen-Ink-Challenge-Bird-Landscape.jpg
August 2010 Pen and Ink Challenge
Unknown Landscape and Lilac Breasted Roller.
5" x 7"
Sepia Pigma Micron pen size 05 plus watercolor washes
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy off-white drawing paper.
Photo reference for Lilac Breasted Roller by PatrickHedges.

I love that Claudia Nice style. Unfortunately, my scanner blurred the left side of the page. Not sure why unless it's the spiral binding, more that I don't know how to get it to not do that.

Topdecker
08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Robert -

Once you place the book face down on the scanner bed, you should be able to place a drafting ruler (triangular) along the coils, close the bed, and the ruler should keep the page down on the bed. The ruler has to come up above the wire coils in order for this to work - I mention this because I don't know how thick your sketch book is.

You might get a light-leak doing this. Having a towel or other thick piece of cloth to act as a hood for the scanner can solve that problem.

Whisperwood
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
See what I miss when I don't come in for a week or so? WOW! You've started a whole new journal! LOL! I LOVE the sandpiper, that is fantastic! And the shells, and the squirrel and landscape... awesome! I've not had chance to catch up for a while so its nice to see a whole new journal you've started! I've still not done any more in my little book... so many other things to keep me occupied! Keep up the great work!

Anne-Marie
08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi again!

I'm glad that you are concentrating on making yourself happy with your art--after a more-or-less bad July, that is exactly what I'm trying to do, too. To use art as a way of healing oneself, emotionally and physically because there's a connection like you said, right? You smile and your hands shake less. You get absorbed and your vision clears. That is fantastic.

Thank you for sharing the experiment with the fixitive--you're right, one can't see the difference. I may see if using soft pastel fixitive works in the new art journal I started in May--I'm using a lot of soft pastels in that one, and it's getting pretty dusty. ;)

You mentioned the Blick pastels before. Two questions: via your special Blick insider knowledge, do you foresee them adding more pastels to the set anytime soon? Also, I remember you were planning on getting the Unison half sticks in July. Did you, and if so, do you like them? (Is it okay to ask these questions here, as they don't directly relate to this journal--yet!) I got the Maggie Price Ludwigs and just love them. But the Mount Visions--eh. And I'm starting to prefer the softness of the Ludwigs over the Unisons . . .

robertsloan2
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Top, thanks. That might help if I had an architectural ruler taller than the coils - on this sketchbook they're about an inch wide. I'm thinking of trying it with the book open and push the opposing pages close for a two page spread, so that it doesn't drag on them. Or try other things like line it up and leave the cover open and cover with a cloth. I'll keep experimenting.

Rachel, thank you! I'm enjoying this new sketchbook a lot and will probably be posting in it often. I retired the All Media book for a while though I'll still be using the Water Folio since I like the 90lb watercolor paper.

Anne-Marie, thanks. One thing about my combination of conditions, it gives me immediate feedback when it comes to managing stress. What helps does so tangibly and fast. What doesn't hurts a lot and brings on my symptoms.

I spent many years in introspection on a common, obvious misdiagnosis. Until the 90s chronic fatigue and pain immune system disorders got diagnosed as depression - it looked like apathy and high pain levels can drive a person to suicidal thoughts. I believed it, so I tried every kind of self help I could find.

Funny, therapists never helped with the problem no matter how many times I went. This could be simply because the problem was in my skeleton and immune system, no therapist can make your bones grow to normal symmetry or do a thing about physical pain except help you get over the grief of dealing with it.

But the direct feedback that if I'm successful in reducing stress and make myself happy, I'm stronger and more capable of doing the things I want to means I've gotten darn good at stress reduction.

I like the oil pastels fixative. There's some talk in the Oil Pastels forum that this fixative may make it possible to hang oil pastels paintings without frames, like frameless oil or acrylic paintings. I might try it sometime, paint on canvas and paint the sides and give it several light, thorough coats. It'd also be handy to be able to use a couple of frames I have that don't have glass any more.

Soft pastel takes normal fixative like Blick's house brand workable fixative or Krylon workable fixative. That helps a lot for pastel or Conte sketches in journals as well as soft graphite, because it'll seriously reduce the amount of smudging onto the back of the previous page.

I didn't get the Unisons in July. I might be able to get them in September. I definitely want them, but other things keep coming up and I need to keep up my savings more than I need more pastels. I'm now considering getting a set of 72 full sticks in an aluminum case from Jerry's, because I always wanted that aluminum-case set and they'll be easier to store and use in it. They put it on very deep discount sale. I am also planning on getting the Maggie Price Ludwigs sometime, they look good too.

Having several different hardnesses of pastels is great. It's okay to drift into other topics in this discussion - my journal's very personal and I may even be experimenting with pastels in it. I'm thinking of this Pentalic paper as a good multi media paper, heavier than the 90lb cold press watercolor paper in the All-Media Book or the Water Folio and not white, it's actually an off white or cream color.

One of the things I want to try is sketching with pen and then coloring with Pan Pastels using them like a light watercolor wash - not a heavy opaque wash but a thin veil of transparent color that accents the pen work. The way to get that is to use less powder on the sponge or wear it off doing a background area and then paint with it when it's mostly gone, sort of like dry brush with watercolor.

I don't know if Blick will expand the range again. Hopefully if they do it'll be before I buy the big set, so I don't wind up investing in the big set only to find it's not the full range any more. I almost got the 90 color set but now I'm glad I procrastinated, since I can get twice as many if I wait till I can afford a big order that's just one item.

DrDebby
08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
The landscape has a lovely sepia photograph feel to it, like looking into the past. The bird is quite a charmer sitting there.

virgo68
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Robert I do like the sepia landscape very much and the sepia pen with watercolour washes is lovely - much softer than using a black pen and then washes...... yet another idea you've given me ;) The bird is very reminiscent of vintage drawings and sorta reminds me of an etching that has been hand-coloured.

robertsloan2
08-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Thank you both! Jackie, that's exactly what I was going for -- those old books of nature etchings that were hand colored in limited editions. I've always thought they were so cool. That sort of thing inspired me as a kid, being able to draw like that myself is a kick.

Blick Art Materials
08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi All,
In regards to our Blick Artists' Soft Pastels, we've recently added a 30 count landscape set & 30 count portrait set as well as a 180 color set. It does not appear we have any immediate plans to extend the product line in the near future.
Kristal

Blick Art Materials
08-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi All,
In regards to our Blick Artists' Soft Pastels, we've recently added a 30 count landscape set & 30 count portrait set as well as a 180 color set. It does not appear we have any immediate plans to extend the product line in the near future.

Kristal

robertsloan2
08-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Kristal, thank you! I loved the sample I got and I'm grateful Blick doubled the color range even if it means I have to save up a little longer to get the full range set. That's why I'm waiting. I know I'll want the full range and don't want to be holding 90 duplicates by settling for the smaller set and then get tempted anyway.

A different pastels experiment today in this sketchbook (and yes, Blick has the Pan Pastels that I used at the lowest price I've found, both individually and in the sets). I often wondered if I could do a pen-wash type of sketch and use Pan Pastels instead of a watercolor wash. The results came out light, loose, lively and a lot of fun - I like the way they worked, I was able to get very thin veils of color that mixed nicely on the page or not depending on how I swiped or patted them on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2010/70184-Beach-Scene-August-2010-Landscape-Challenge-Ref-VladK-Pans-Ballpoint.jpg
Beach Scene
5" x 7"
No-name ballpoint pen and Pan Pastels
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb cream heavy drawing paper
Photo reference by VladK for August 2010 Landscape Challenge.

Davkin
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't think I would have ever thought of using a pastel wash with ink in a million years. Not only are your sketches creative but your methods for producing them are very creative as well. Nice work.

David

virgo68
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree with David - you never fail to come up with some way of using your different medium in a way I would never have dreamed of!

Pan pastels sound interesting........ I do have normal pastel but rarely use them as I hate the mess I get into and make with them. I do not DARE go looking for something new to get addicted to LOL!

DrDebby
08-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Great looking trees and scenery. Marvelous the way you do multi-media. I will have to give a pass on pastels of any sort. Too much dust for my asthma.

robertsloan2
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
David, Jackie, Debby, thank you!

I love experimenting with new supplies. Yep, this time I really did come up with something I haven't seen anyone else do with them. I might do a larger piece and submit it to Colorfin for the gallery on the Pan Pastels site.

They are a lot cleaner to use than stick pastels. More comparable to pastel pencils in terms of cleanup, or to painting with watercolor. I keep some paper towels around to clean the tools off and that's about it - the color goes onto the surface and nowhere else. It doesn't blow all over, I don't get a polychrome floor or find blue dots on my nose using them.

Debby, I think at least one professional pastelist who had to give it up because of asthma switched over to using Pan Pastels with good results. Main thing to remember is that it's more like painting than drawing.

Colors blend and mix, it stays mixable like wet oils or acrylics. You can put opaque color down over color, but that's a difference in patting it on or swiping it on, it'll blend if you pull it around. So it's indefinitely workable like oil pastels unless fixative is used.

SpectraFix fixative doesn't change the colors or do anything to change the look either, something I love about it besides the fact that my cat doesn't run away when I spray it.

Blick Art Materials
08-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Thank you to all our loyal Blick customers!

We do have a new promotional coupon on our website currently. We will also price match other online art store prices and shipping offers. To discuss this further please visit our partner forum.

Davkin
08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I actually have tried doing a pastel wash before. I scraped pastel off sticks using a hobby knife and then dissolved the powder with alcohol. It worked okay, but I didn't do much with the idea. I could see using that with a watercolor underpainting but I don't think I'd use it for a whole painting.

David

eyepaint
08-18-2010, 05:23 PM
This last one is super. So lovely to experiment (and have a success) :)

robertsloan2
08-18-2010, 09:32 PM
EP, thank you! I know, it's such a kick to try something weird and then have it come out exactly as I planned and look better than I thought.

David, it'd be a lot harder doing it with dissolved pastel - more like an actual watercolor wash but take more time and trouble to prepare. I can see why you didn't bother when watercolor's easier.

Pans make it easy - just wear off a little of the color where you want it to be transparent and don't load as often. I wrote an article on it today at HubPages, (http://hubpages.com/hub/New-Sketching-Technique-with-Pan-Pastels) which is what today's painting illustrates. I scanned stages on it, with a lighter application in the middle stage and the pen drawing by itself.

Oh heck, this is the actual sketchbook thread, I'll post all three. No-name ballpoint pen and Pan Pastels. I just got my final two 20 color Pan Pastels trays so they're handy now, all of the colors are in easy reach instead of just half of them.

virgo68
08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Great effects Robert, it reminds me a little of airbrushed images that have a soft smokey quality rather than hard edges. The colours are certainly very vibrant :)

robertsloan2
08-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Thank you! Yes, you're right. Now that you mention it I think some of the illustrations that inspired me were done with airbrush on a pen drawing. I like the contrast of the hard pen lines and soft-edged pastel strokes, that's one reason I'm continuing this.

TaniaBee
08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Robert, i have been so busy at work that i haven't checked in on everyone's sketchbook and so much has happened.
All your drawings & pictures are so lovely. this fruit bowl is great, i know it's a while back, but i loved that kitten on the clothes - just gorgeous!!
Lovely landscape as well and that tree ref from David was beautiful.
thanks for sharing - always nice to look at!! :D

robertsloan2
08-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Thank you, Tania! I'm afraid today's images won't be nearly as exciting or representational - but they may be useful to watercolor journalists.

Molly Murrah's Watercolor 101 class on CreativeLIVE is a free class sponsored by Daniel Smith paints. I actually bought five new tubes of color to use the actual class colors instead of just grabbing a warm and a cool triad and an opaque triad, including buying DS Yellow Ochre so it'd behave like hers even though I already have yellow ochre in several sets.

But I kept missing classes. I started the first one late. I missed the second one completely, got sick. I missed the third one completely, got up late and didn't even wake up really till it was over, or realize I'd missed it till around seven at night. Today, thankfully a friend mentioned the class is today in a message I read at noon - so I managed to just be late.

Because they had technical difficulties with the live webcasts the past three times, they put them up to see again at time of your convenience on the website. Yay! So today I've spent all day on that class somewhat out of order. Started by coming in late to the one I at least knew about (got distracted by something on Facebook, me dummy, it could have waited if I'd had ANY sense whatsoever), finished that, then downloaded all the homework PDFs (which now make sense), then started watching what I missed with some serious interruptions by my six year old granddaughter to watch about three hours of When Dinosaurs Roamed America.

Okay, so I'm a mushy grandpa.

I didn't finish the last one till after midnight, but oh, it was so worth it. This is a great class. It'll be available on DVD and about as useful as say, Deborah Secor's pastel DVDs and so on. Don't know the price yet but hope it's reasonable, because it's a great class. Especially for beginners but I'm not too bad with watercolor and I'm getting a lot out of it.

So these are six pages of the exercises I did during the classes, which I sometimes paused to let stuff dry or find things and so on. Molly actually insisted her beginners use good watercolor paper, all-rag Arches or Fabriano, and Daniel Smith gave the ones who were there in person goodie bags including a papers sampler, everything they needed for the class.

But since I was already familiar with how actual watercolor paper handles whether it's rough, cold press or hot, what weight it is, several brands including her favorite Arches and have even tried and disliked Yupo (she gave me some ideas for making it function), I tried the stuff for brush strokes and colors in this journal - to further explore this paper and how it handles as well as practice the strokes. I used a 1/2" flat brush for the washes given the size of the journal but everything else was with the recommended brushes. I just didn't feel like doing them full page without them being paintings.

So here's the pages.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-1.jpg
I noodled around with three of the new colors on this page while she was showing other paintings and talking in general about color rather than having us do stuff. The opaque triad, I wanted to see how it mixed. The warm one is her exercise. I used the Niji watercolor brush and a size 8 round. I added the neutral blot in the center because I usually do when I've got leftover triad mixes - stir them up to see how the neutrals look. Same with the neutral swashes under the opaques, it was fun and I like the neutrals they make.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-2.jpg
More mixing and mingling, the Mouse Ears exercise is fun too and very good to find out how colors will behave on your paper when you do wet in wet. It's better to find it out in a goofy Mickey Mouse silhouette than unexpectedly discover the yellow lightning stroke you wanted fuzzy spread out and aggressively ate your wet in wet thunderclouds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-3.jpg
I used Ultramarine for all the brush stroke examples on this page, Pthalo was what she used for the five step value bar. I didn't feel like bothering to do ten values, I liked how my five came out and usually don't get that fussy to have more unless the specific subject demands it for some reason.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-4.jpg
More finding out that a size 12 round can be a lot of fun, when I hardly ever use brushes that big. And finding out in class just why I love, love, love my big squirrel mop - I could probably do whole big paintings just with the squirrel mop. Or even small ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-5.jpg

Fan brush wasn't required but I had one so I tried her fan brush wood grain with Ultramarine because I still had some out. Then tried side of brush scumbling in multiple colors with amusing if random abstract results.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Class-Murrah-6.jpg

Much fooling around with wet on dry contrasting wet on wet, in randomly chosen colors with a little bit of noodling with other colors and backruns. I dropped a little New Gamboge into the top two lines before they dried and I dropped water into the bottom band to create blossoms and backruns on purpose since it was still wet when she talked about blossoms. It did all sorts of odd things while it dried, there were points I could've tilted it to do something else or quickly blotted to keep it at earlier stages.

Then did a flat wash and gradated wash - and both work much better on actual watercolor paper. I think this paper's better for other techniques. Especially flat washes are tough for me but this one didn't come out as well as it would've on sized paper.

So that's today's study. Yesterday I was offline and distracted (why I didn't hover over the computer trying to get back online was family time) but I made up for it by studying watercolor all day. And really coming to understand this Pentalic paper!

Maybe tomorrow I'll paint something you can tell what it is. lol

Edit:

On second thought, I am very happy I did this. I just De-Treasurized the Pentalic Nature Sketch book. I can do anything in it now that there are goofy texture experiments and color swatches and random backruns to see what the paper does occupying six pages. If I get a bad drawing or painting, big deal. I learned something from it, right?

When they get published, no matter how new or famous the artist, those pages get left out usually. But I'll bet there are some goofs in the full collection of da Vinci's sketches... and I know there's some that randomly stop like he got distracted and did something else, or run over each other because they're just his notes and he can tell what both of them are or was done with the first one.

robertsloan2
08-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Something bright, pretty and representational after yesterday's intense study. I almost feel like I was cramming in college with watching four of the videos in one day and doing so many of the exercises!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2010/70184-Pansies-WDE-August-20-2010.jpg
Pansies
5" x 7"
Daniel Smith watercolors
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy drawing paper
Photo reference by ElleZee for 8-20-2010 Weekend Drawing Event.

I'm getting used to watercolor on this paper, even though I like sized watercolor paper more with it. I'm trying to learn so that I really can use these for plein air sketching, multimedia - the paper's heavy, it just handles differently. This has some successful wet in wet elements especially in the background.

robertsloan2
08-22-2010, 07:39 PM
And it's Soppy Kitten Time! Cat lovers can all go "Awwwww" now. Dawn's kittens are very cool, she gave me permission to use over 30 photos and I've got them all in a special folder for Dawn's kittens.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2010/70184-Dawn-Russells-Kitten-In-A-Box.jpg
Dawn Russell's Kitten in a Box
5" x 7"
Derwent Sketching Pencil, Medium Wash 4B
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy drawing paper, off-white.
Photo reference by Dawn Russell.

Occasionally I sink into sappy cuteness, but usually it's got sharp claws and teeth like this little tribble-with-fangs.

JTMB
08-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Robert,

Nice to see the experiments with the different media. Love the squirrel, the pansies and the kitten, though everything you've done in here is very good.

robertsloan2
08-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Thank you! The paper's heavy and tough, but acts like a blotter with watercolor. So that makes it a completely different experience with all washes and that's been fun. Sometimes it can work well if I do it right - it sure took layer after layer with those pansies without dissolving previous color because it was already locked into the fibers. I would've had a mess that looked like finger painting trying to do that on Yupo.

DrDebby
08-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Been away on vacation so am trying to catch up. You have been so busy. I really like that you shared the fruit bowl as a WIP and the exercises from your classes. The pansy and the kitten are so cute.

robertsloan2
08-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you! Here's something from yesterday, in 4B Derwent Sketching with wash.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2010/70184-Hunt-189-1-2.jpg

DrDebby
08-26-2010, 10:22 PM
"Speed novel writing is my sport" :lol::lol::lol:

Interesting sketches. Is the handle correct on the coffee mug?

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks! Now that I look at it, I might have gone a little off with it. But it is that wide and it was placed with the handle slightly facing me so it was in a different position than usual. I'll probably draw it again sometime.

Today I was watching The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill with Sascha, and decided to try drawing one of the parrots in the video without pausing it. This is the result - a cherry-headed conure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/70184-Cherry-Headed-Conure.jpg
Cherry-Headed Conure
5" x 7"
Derwent Watercolour Pencils (New Formula)
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy drawing paper
From video "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" without pausing it, an exercise similar to drawing from life. I had to wait till the birds moved to repeat a position to get the details and averaged the markings of several to come up with this one's pattern.

DrDebby
08-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Neat conure. They are really smart birds, tho' they don't mimic speech as well as other members of the parrot family.

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Thank you! I was fascinated by them during the movie, they showed so many variations on its calls and behavior in following the story of how those cherry-headed conures settled and formed a wild flock in San Francisco. They're still there too, that was cool.

vhere
08-30-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't know what kind they are but there are parrots living and breeding in London Parks - escapees that settled happily there.

Well done for getting it done without pausing!

mhimeswc
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
The pan pastels sound really interesting, Robert. I will have to go back through and read your article when I get caught up. Do you actually use them with a brush?

robertsloan2
08-31-2010, 04:15 AM
That is so cool, Vivien. It makes sense too, they have places to shelter when it gets cold in a city. Birds can be smart and resourceful.

Michelle, I never tried using them with a brush. I use the Sofft tools range, special micropore sponges designed to pick up Pan Pastels or other pastel powder (they apparently work fine with loose dust from pastel sticks though I haven't tried that) or paint (again, haven't tried it). With Pan Pastels, the sponges handle a lot like brushes or painting knives though. It's much more like painting than drawing with how the colors mix and handle... but completely dry and cleanup is just swiping the tool on a paper towel. I love using these.

I also forgot to post today's art! Sorry, I got distracted online while I was posting and didn't put it here where it belongs. I did this for the August Watermedia Challenge, themed on cats.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2010/70184-Cougar-4B-Derwent-Sketching-ref-by-Scottyarthur.jpg
Felis concolor
5" x 7"
4B Medium Wash Derwent Sketching pencil and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb cream heavy drawing paper (unsized)
Photo reference by scottyarthur for RIL.
Felis concolor, also known as puma, panther, mountain lion, cougar, is the largest cat that can purr. I met one of the Florida Panther subspecies in the 1990s and had the privilege of scritching his throat while he purred. His fur was stiff and wiry except the soft fur under his chin.

He washed off my hands thoroughly up to my armpit with two-inch long teeth scraping my arm, then relaxed for a long affectionate scritch purring so deep and loud you could probably hear him outside the room. That was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

Another was finding out that the $250 in art that I donated helped push the fund over the amount needed to pay for a female cub who'd grow up to be his mate someday. Years later, I got a postcard from the same wildlife fund... of Florida panther cubs posed on a tree stump. Big Kitty would be very old by now if he's still alive, but his legacy lives on and I'll never forget him. From eight weeks old, he spent his life as the spokescat for the Florida Panther project.

Florida panthers are no longer as endangered. Since they did historically mate with Texas cougars, importing a few helped widen their genetic diversity and there's a growing wild population.

virgo68
08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
You have been so busy Robert! I think you are right - I am sure Leonardo etc all ad goof offs and things that didn't work out too! They probably ended up in the bin...... ;-) I found your experiments very interesting and your later sketches wonderful. Your interaction with the panther must have been great - things like that stick in your memory forever!

DrDebby
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
The pose and expression on the big cat's face looks almost human. Not to be insulting to the cat.

robertsloan2
09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Jackie, thank you! Yes, that day with the panther was one of the high points of my life. He was so beautiful and so affectionate and so huge. Taking care of him and promoting the survival of his subspecies was Bert's full time job.

Debby, thanks! I can see why - it's his pose and the coincidence that cat faces are expressive in many of the same ways as human faces. Cats communicate so well with humans partly because of those resemblances.

rmcbuckeye
09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
That is so cool, Vivien. It makes sense too, they have places to shelter when it gets cold in a city. Birds can be smart and resourceful.

Michelle, I never tried using them with a brush. I use the Sofft tools range, special micropore sponges designed to pick up Pan Pastels or other pastel powder (they apparently work fine with loose dust from pastel sticks though I haven't tried that) or paint (again, haven't tried it). With Pan Pastels, the sponges handle a lot like brushes or painting knives though. It's much more like painting than drawing with how the colors mix and handle... but completely dry and cleanup is just swiping the tool on a paper towel. I love using these.

I also forgot to post today's art! Sorry, I got distracted online while I was posting and didn't put it here where it belongs. I did this for the August Watermedia Challenge, themed on cats.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2010/70184-Cougar-4B-Derwent-Sketching-ref-by-Scottyarthur.jpg
Felis concolor
5" x 7"
4B Medium Wash Derwent Sketching pencil and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb cream heavy drawing paper (unsized)
Photo reference by scottyarthur for RIL.
Felis concolor, also known as puma, panther, mountain lion, cougar, is the largest cat that can purr. I met one of the Florida Panther subspecies in the 1990s and had the privilege of scritching his throat while he purred. His fur was stiff and wiry except the soft fur under his chin.

He washed off my hands thoroughly up to my armpit with two-inch long teeth scraping my arm, then relaxed for a long affectionate scritch purring so deep and loud you could probably hear him outside the room. That was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life.

Another was finding out that the $250 in art that I donated helped push the fund over the amount needed to pay for a female cub who'd grow up to be his mate someday. Years later, I got a postcard from the same wildlife fund... of Florida panther cubs posed on a tree stump. Big Kitty would be very old by now if he's still alive, but his legacy lives on and I'll never forget him. From eight weeks old, he spent his life as the spokescat for the Florida Panther project.

Florida panthers are no longer as endangered. Since they did historically mate with Texas cougars, importing a few helped widen their genetic diversity and there's a growing wild population.

Very cool. Is there a specific difference between a Florida panther and Texas panther? Just curious! I think they are beautiful animals. Any animal is, really. You are so lucky to have a experience like that to talk about, having a very up-close encounter with the big cat! I hope to have that someday, maybe with a wolf. I hope to go visit Wolf Park in Indiana or International Wolf Center up in Minnesota. Someday, it will happen! :)

robertsloan2
09-01-2010, 05:10 PM
The Florida Panther is a subspecies that has historically crossed with Texas panthers, so they're closely related. I hope you do get to go to Wolf Park or some other wolf center to get to see one close up. It's incredible.

robertsloan2
09-03-2010, 11:38 PM
A somewhat smaller cat tonight!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2010/70184-Black-Cat-Juliet-WDE-Sept-3-katju-ref.jpg
Juliet, a Dark Lady
5" x 7"
Watercolor on Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy cream drawing paper (unsized).
Photo reference by katju for Weekend Drawing Event Sept. 3-5, 2010. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681591)

Challenge for this weekend's event was to do one of the images in watercolor - so there she is, Juliet the beautiful in watercolor. I love how she came out.

I'm going to be focusing on writing my Three Day Novel until Tuesday, so I probably won't be commenting much in this forum or any of them unless I find a place to post word counts at chapter ends. I might do that on the All-Media Sketching Thread Part 8 by counting "novel writing" as a medium. Daily art will resume on Tuesday and once more my sketchbooks will bob up to the top in turn by my adding new drawings.

Though if I doodle during the novel, this forum's where they'll likely wind up. I'll keep the sketchbook handy for doodling.

This year's short novel is a nature novel set in the Pleistocene, following a young male saber tooth cat, Smilodon fatalis, as he leaves his mother to seek his own territory and a mate in Los Angeles.

Adolescent male runs away from home and winds up in LA looking for love.

vhere
09-04-2010, 05:09 AM
wish I could write!

DrDebby
09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Juliette is lovely. I like the cushion as much as the cat.

virgo68
09-04-2010, 10:35 PM
lovely rich and dramatic colour :)

Vivien Maloney
09-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Wonderful work here Robert! Thanks for adding the link to your Pan Pastels & Ink demo. I have a set of Pans but haven't used them much as yet, so any info on them is valued. I've added your demo to my Browser Bar so I can go into it and look at it several times.

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Vivien - November is National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org) (no matter what your nation is), so join me. It's the perfect writing marathon for beginners. You would be surprised what you can do with over 100,000 other people all posting and cheering you along. Please join me! That goes for anyone else who ever wished they could write a novel.

It is tons easier than trying to write a novel entirely within a three day weekend. That's more like the Extreme Sports end of novel writing and I've got over 50 trunk novels in practice, that's why I was able to do it.

Jackie, thank you!

Debby, thanks! The cushion was tricky, I wound up changing it from the photo but made it a little softer and plumper so that she sank into it and pushed the corner up. I've seen Ari laying on pillows countless times, so it worked. I can't wait to see the Gallery on this one with all the different versions of this cat, she was very popular.

Viv, thank you! Enjoy! Pans are a wonderful sketch medium as well as painting medium. I use mine a lot more easily now that I've got the trays to keep them in, it makes setting up as easy as pulling the lid off and unstacking the stack - and that's with the full range of 80 colors, a smaller set would be ready instantly.

Today I tried something else from the Weekly Drawing Thread and botched it. Look at the reference if you don't believe me, because my fix on the botch did come out plausible. It just isn't the same object as the one in the photo, it's much larger and taller.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Crystal-Bottle-Underpainting.jpg
Watercolor underpainting on Pentalic Nature Sketch page.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Crystal-Bottle-Finish.jpg
Crystal Bowl and Perfume Bottle
5" x 7"
Derwent Drawing Pencils and white Neopastel oil pastel over watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch off white heavy drawing paper
Photo reference by Bortai used in Weekly Drawing Thread, Sept. 6-12, 2010. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684291)

I also linked to the thread in case anyone else wants to try these, the theme of this challenge is Ellipses and I've done two out of three. I'll probably redo this one simpler without the underpainting. What threw me off was that I placed the horizon line wrong and then tried to adjust the perfume bottle to it instead of ignoring the moved horizon and doing the perfume bottle accurately.

prismalos
09-09-2010, 01:09 PM
That is so great! I love the light pen touch and bright colors!

JTMB
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
More great stuff here, Robert! My favorite is your watercolor of Juliet the cat.

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Thank you both! Here's another page, Scavenger Hunt items in pastel pencils. I love how Juliet turned out too, I should do Ari so well sometime. Maybe I'll sort through all his photos and try for a good watercolor Ari.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-191-1-to-4.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 191, Items #1-4
5" x 7"
Cretacolor Pastel Pencils (72 color set)
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy off-white drawing paper, unsized and toothy.
Everything from life of course since it's Scavenger Hunt stuff.

vhere
09-09-2010, 06:46 PM
i just don't think I have enough writing talent! I am going to try writing stories for Sam and illustrating them.

A friend who has published stuff in the past is offering to write something for me to illustrate (but I'm not holding my breath! she mentioned it once before and nothing came of it)

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm telling you, you don't need talent to do Nanowrimo. Just put the time in and make it up as you go along. It's not about writing a good novel or turning into a polished professional on your first go. It's about writing a really bad novel and having lots of fun at it, then having something that can be edited afterward and turned into a good novel at leisure.

It's fun. If you even finish the first page you'll be past about half of the nervous sorts that start it and chicken out with zero word count. The whole idea of it is to measure how much you write, not how good it is. If you do 50,000 words, you can paste it into a verifier and it comes back giving you a fancy winner page and downloadable achievement award, that you can print out and sign and hang on your wall. The art's different every year.

But if you do 50,000 words, at the end of it you will be a much more skilled writer than when you started. It's like saying "fill fifty pages of your sketchbook and it's okay if you just scribble or doodle." - at the end your doodles will be better drawings than they were when you started. It's to get people over being scared to try.

Writing Talent is like Art Talent. It appears mysteriously after you learn all the actual know-how that people who are good at it already did, that is to say, it appears socially when your skills reach a certain rather reasonable point.

So do it as a YA novel and write it for young Sam and illustrate it! It'll come out cool that way. Not many of the Nanowrimo writers can self-illustrate - not even me, I get too wrapped up in the writing and don't usually do action scenes anyway.

DrDebby
09-10-2010, 05:10 AM
It may not match the reference, but it looks ok. Sometimes you just take artistic license with a reference.

The scavenger hunt items are great. But, what is that curly thing? I don't recognize it as anything I know.

vhere
09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
you are quite right Robert - a friend is currently on the NYT best sellers list and listening to her comments is so much like my attitude to painting/sketching. Time is an issue too though at the moment. She has a gift for hard work and time management as well as talent - I'm not so good on the time management! I'm much more chaotic.

I do seriously want to try writing for children - as Sam grows I'd love to do some really good books - strong story and illustrations. I've invested in some good books that really do give good tips re plot, pacing. characters etc, also a couple of good ones on illustration for children.

robertsloan2
09-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Debby, thank you! Yep, I finally just decided to treat it as artistic license, since I have seen perfume bottles that shape and did get it symmetrical. The curly thing is a type of shell, an odd one that's open at both ends. I've got two of them and they're fun to draw.

Viv, the cool thing about writing is that you can use whatever time there is and take as long as you need to on the project. It's infinitely erasable and reworkable, the better you get, the better any of your old projects become on that editing pass. You've got Sam, so you've got reason to do very good children's books over the years and just keep doing them to his new level, grow with him.

That's pretty much what J. K. Rowling did, Harry Potter started as something she wrote for her kids.

vhere
09-11-2010, 07:40 AM
I'll try!

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Yay! Glad to hear it.

Here's today's latest page in the Nature Sketch, more watercolor:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/70184-3-Pelicans-WDE-Sept-10.jpg
Three Pelicans
5" x 7"
Watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy drawing paper, unsized
Photo reference by stoner for September 10 Weekend Drawing Event. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689771)

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/70184-Pink-Flowers-WDE-Sept-10.jpg
Pink Flowers
5" x 7"
Watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch unsized heavy drawing paper
Photo reference by stoney for Sept. 10 WDE

Page 25 ... I'm now exactly half done with this sketchbook, it's going so fast! I think I like the size and the way it takes wet media so much that I'll have to get another, it's so cool.

vhere
09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I like these :)

DrDebby
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Good to know you still like the paper in this sketchbook. Your row of water birds is so cute. And the flowers are gorgeous.

JTMB
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
The flowers look great, Robert, and of course I also like the mini-parade of pelican...!

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Vivien, thank you!

Debby, thanks. I love the paper in this sketchbook. As I get used to using watercolor on it, I find I'm enjoying its weirdly absorbent texture. It'll hold a hard edged stroke or go soft very easily and it's not quite white, so I could do white accents if I wanted to push them.

John, thanks! I knew you'd like the pelicans, they're birds. I've got to do more water birds in watercolor, those were fun. It was crazy using the Big Brush too, it was hard enough going up to a size 6 from usually using size 2, then jumping to size 8 was awesome... now it's a size 12 but I'm not painting any bigger.

Someone said "use the largest brush you can get away with for the size of painting you're doing" and I seem to be moving in that direction.

This is my third for today, 26th page out of 50. I will definitely need to replace this sketchbook, it's too great and too convenient a size. Besides, it supports a wildlife conservation program.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/70184-Falls-Yellowstone-from-Ann-Garlough-Reference.jpg
Yellowstone Falls
5" x 7"
Derwent Graphitints and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized drawing paper
Photo reference by Ann Garlough (posted in Western & Southwestern Art forum along with lots more good ones).

jacquip
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Robert the watercolours are stunning. I really like the waterfall in graphitints too has a great wild feel to it. I can't believe you are halfway through another sketchbook. You are so prolific, no wonder your work is so good.

robertsloan2
09-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Wow, thank you! I think part of why this one's filing up so fast is its size - one or two sketches per page, not four to eight that size. Still, it's great paper and I keep coming back to it when I've got water media to play with. I've got to get another when it's full, or open up the big one, or both. But to keep the threads from getting ponderous, when I finish it I'll start a new thread for the new one.

I have a 6" x 12" one that I might do next, even if it's slower to fill. Could be cool doing some panoramic scenes. The way this is going, I'll wait till this one's full before I start it though.

Thank you so much for mentioning that - yes, there's a definite correlation between my drawing and sketching and painting that much and how fast I've gotten better at it. I looked back at last year's watercolor journal and flinched, honestly flinched at half of what's in it. This is helping me so much!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2010/70184-Barn-and-Koi-PI-challenge-Sept-2010.jpg
Two Koi and Monochrome Barn Scene
5" x 7"
Sakura Pigma Micron size 05 pens in black and blue-black, plus watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy unsized cream drawing paper
Photo references by Queen_Bee (koi) and gfxwig (barn scene)

vhere
09-12-2010, 10:19 AM
that works really well

I like big brushes and only very occasionally dip into the smaller ones - Chines brushes are good too, fluid and holding lots of pigment/water. Riggers and square nylon brushes are other favourites.

robertsloan2
09-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Thank you! I'm having loads of fun with the big brush. I haven't used a rigger much yet. I bought one for the Molly Murrah class and tested it but that was all we did, texture effects with the different brushes - most of the exercises took the flat or the size 8 round. I like the square flats too, they are very cool but getting them in decent sizes means getting synthetic ones. When I finally decide on my favorite size I might invest in a sable flat.

robertsloan2
09-12-2010, 04:56 PM
A little forget-me-not that my granddaughter brought in for me late last Spring, posed on the highly reflective touchpad of my laptop. I went ahead and shifted the hue of the bronzy laptop surface to more brown to make it look cool.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2010/70184-Forget-Me-Not-WC-pen.jpg
Forget-Me-Not
5" x 7"
Blue no-brand ballpoint pen and watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy unsized drawing paper.

rmcbuckeye
09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
So expressive! Love your drawings/paintings in this journal. I've never, ever used Derwent Graphitints and wash.. but I'd love to try that sometime.

DrDebby
09-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know that I've seen someone do that with Graphitints. The waterfall is great. The koi are so cool. Love how you did the water. An old barn in pen & ink is classical. The flowers on your laptop are so sweet.

robertsloan2
09-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Thank you both!

Rachel, go ahead and give them a try. It's a little tricky getting used to exactly how much water to use, so I seriously recommend getting a Niji or Sakura water brush - nylon brush with water in the hollow handle. They have a flow regulator in it that keeps the brush moist without dripping, which helps in washing. Also wash separate color areas separately unless you want to drag color into them from something else to change it.

Debby, thank you! I love Graphitints and will definitely be doing more with them. I even stocked up on the dang things and have two sets, though oddly it's the 12 color set I use more often just because it's in a convenient zipper bag with a waterbrush instead of just being a tin. When I get a pencil carousel I should put them out in one of the compartments, then I'd use them a lot more often.

I will be anyway next month during my massive sketch-a-thon challenge. I want to fill another Pentalic Nature Sketch starting October 1 and finishing it on Samhain - that's something I've always wanted to do, and there's no time like the present to try it. Graphitints are big and bold and loose so they'll be great for some of next month's sketches.

virgo68
09-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Samhain! You've given me an idea what to base my October challenge sketchbook on...... ;)

robertsloan2
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Jackie, that's a wonderful theme. Looking forward to seeing it!

robertsloan2
09-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Went back today for a fuzzy kitten in watercolor pencils and a go at one of the Colored Pencil Challenge references for September.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2010/70184-Flower-and-Kitten-Page-Nature-Sketch.jpg
Ginger Kitten and Odd Flower
5" x 7"
Derwent Watercolour pencils and wash (kitten)
Derwent Artists' colour pencils (flower)
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy unsized drawing paper.
Photo references by k9artist (kitten) and bionicanaconda (flower)

virgo68
09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
cute kitty but weird flower! Never seen or heard of that one before - what a beauty for practising folds and light and shade though!

DrDebby
09-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree with Jackie. The kitten is cute as can be. The flower is weird. But, nature comes up with all kinds of plant flowers.

RiJoRi
09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I like the kitten's expression. It look as if it's thinking, "Oh, no! The food bowl is empty!! I also like the way the green background echoes the kitten's fur; and the backlit effect.

--Rich

robertsloan2
09-16-2010, 07:39 PM
I never heard of that plant either, it completely amazed me. But it was beautiful so I drew it. LOL yep, it does look like the kitten's staring in shock at an empty food bowl!

Thank you!

Here's two pages that together are several tries at Item #15 of the current Scavenger Hunt - Something Borrowed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-15-Borrowed-Dinosaurs-1.jpg
and
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-15-Borrowed-Dinosaurs-2.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192
Item #15 - Borrowed Dinosaurs
5" x 7"
9B graphite pencil
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy drawing paper.

DrDebby
09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Dinosaurs! YAY! These are very cool.

robertsloan2
09-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks! There's two different drawing lesson ideas in them. One is blocking in with geometric shapes, especially on the triceratops. The other is drawing the main shadow shapes in relation to each other and only adding the other contours after those are placed. Both are ways to get better proportions in a quick sketch of something real.

robertsloan2
09-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Watercolor pencils for my next art supply review -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2010/70184-Dewdrop-on-Rosebud-WDE-Sept-17.jpg
Dewdrops on a Rosebud
5" x 7"
Raffine watercolor pencils
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy 130lb unsized drawing paper
Photo reference by oldrockchick for Sept. 17, 2010 WDE, (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698421) rules and images are at the link.

DrDebby
09-17-2010, 11:59 PM
The rose is beautiful. But, the leaves above it leave me puzzled.

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
I included them from the reference because I liked their shapes, but didn't include the out of focus foliage around them. Just the two that were prominent and detailed enough to be in a plane with the rose bud. I think above the edge of the photo there must have been a big clump of foliage.

DrDebby
09-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Ok, was just wondering.

virgo68
09-18-2010, 07:42 AM
loving the colours on the rose :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you! Here's another sketch in the Pentalic, first time I used my Cretacolor lead holder leads. They're very good for loose sketching, I had fun on that tortoise blocking it in and then adding details and shading.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2010/70184-African-Tortoise-pillcase-Cretacolor-leads.jpg
African Tortoise and pillbox
5" x 7"
Cretacolor leads in charcoal, sanguine oil and sepia light
Pentalic Nature Sketch heavy 130lb unsized cream drawing paper
Photo reference for African tortoise by oldrockchick.

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep, posting after myself. Still experimenting on Scavenger Hunt items - this is my first-ever Acrylic On Paper and I'm happy to say it worked out fine - buckled less than watercolor does, so I'm definitely going to enjoy using these in it again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-20-Apple.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, #20 - From the Bedroom
5" x 7"
Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic (six colour set)
Pentalic Nature Sketch, 130lb unsized heavy sketching paper.
Apple painted from life with a complementary Emerald Green underpainting which did get as dark as the very dark Delicious apple is.

DrDebby
09-18-2010, 06:53 PM
The tortoise is awesome. You can just see the slow ponderous step being taken. The apple looks delicious.

Whisperwood
09-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice rose Robert :-)

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank you both! I'm definitely going to be doing more from the WDE tomorrow and more of the acrylics too. They're so easy to handle in that little set.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Thank you both! I'm definitely going to be doing more from the WDE tomorrow and more of the acrylics too. They're so easy to handle in that little set.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 12:57 AM

Klandestineone
09-19-2010, 08:34 AM
You have some really beautiful sketches and studies. And you're not afraid of color! I hate to say that I'm terrified of it. It can be so unpredictable, so I'm still taking the baby steps.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Go ahead and dare - it's just a piece of paper. Best little sentence I know for getting over the fear of trying something in a sketch. That's what sketchbooks are for! Also, I learned a lot about color in Charlie's pastel class: "ESP: Still Life the Colourful Way" that affects everything else I do. It's a long class but if you read through it slowly and do the exercises at each stage it'll help you see color in a completely new way, the world gets to be a more beautiful, colorful place.

Also "Capturing Radiant Light & Color in Oils and Soft Pastels" by Susan Sarback covers the same painting method, which now affects everything I do. But Charlie's class here on WC is free.

Carole A
09-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Go ahead and dare - it's just a piece of paper. Best little sentence I know for getting over the fear of trying something in a sketch. That's what sketchbooks are for! Also, I learned a lot about color in Charlie's pastel class: "ESP: Still Life the Colourful Way" that affects everything else I do. It's a long class but if you read through it slowly and do the exercises at each stage it'll help you see color in a completely new way, the world gets to be a more beautiful, colorful place.

Also "Capturing Radiant Light & Color in Oils and Soft Pastels" by Susan Sarback covers the same painting method, which now affects everything I do. But Charlie's class here on WC is free.
Oh thanks a lot, Robert, just when I thought I had every paper, sketchbook, media and tool that I needed. Now I see that I should get some pastels and take Charlie's class. :)

Hmmm I do have some student grade pastels that came with my grandkids' art sets a couple Christmases ago. They never used them as they were having so much fun with their markers, CPs and paints.

Carole

Whisperwood
09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh thanks a lot, Robert, just when I thought I had every paper, sketchbook, media and tool that I needed.
Carole

LOL Yea Robert has that affect on people! :wink2:
Robert will her class also work if you use CP? I guess the principles would be the same?

CandAlArt
09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Our ArtHero Robert does it again. I like the apple in acrylic on paper! Have you used other papers (sketchbook types) for acrylics with success? Canson Mix Media at 98 lb. implies it is good for everything but it "bends" a little even with waterbrush. Your Nature Sketch looks totally flat & great. I have eyed the Nature Sketch but couldn't think of a good EXCUSE to get one. Til now....Also, does ordinary 140 lb. watercolor paper like Strathmore work with acrylics? I just never used acrylic on anything but canvasboards.

Davkin
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Glad to hear the acrylic experiment worked out. Looks good! Sooner or later I'll get around to trying it myself.

David

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Carole - try it with the student pastels. That'll show you if you like them enough to invest in artist grade ones. They should work for the class exercises well enough to tell what you're doing. All the brights on the color list are probably in most student sets, plus if you don't have tints you can alternate white and the color to get the tint.

Rachel, CP should work for the color exercises, it'll just take longer to do them. Pastel is fast. Pastel pencils or Pan Pastels will work. I'd suggest going much smaller with all the studies if you're going to use CP and do them in soft tonal layers right up till the very last - don't burnish with white or a clear blender till you're at Stage Four. You will need at least four layers with the Colourist Method, maybe seven or eight considering Stage Two and Three.

Also, colored pencils aren't as opaque, so completely changing a color might be harder than with the more opaque pastels. Coloursoft are good colored pencils for it since they're more opaque. Reserve very light and white areas, go very soft on those.

Candace, this is my first-ever acrylic on paper. I love how it came out, it's even easier than watercolor in the Pentalic. There's a good reason to get the Pentalic Nature Sketch - it's beaten Canson All-Media for versatility. And yes, I've seen others use 140lb watercolor paper with acrylics perfectly well, that's easy to do. I'll probably do some acrylics on watercolor paper too, especially when I'm thinning with water and doing glazes.

David, thanks! They're fun. The trial set of W&N Artists was a great idea for it, especially with a porcelain palette or saucer so it's easily cleaned. They're well chosen for mixers and the small 20ml tubes are convenient. I might get some more in big tubes if I notice I'm using them up fast.

Back to basics today - pencil! I meant to do mixed media with acrylic over graphite or pen and watercolor, but got carried away with the pencils and decided I preferred it as a pencil drawing. Next month is going to be wild using this type of sketchbook and no other.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2010/70184-British-Royalty-WDE-Sept-17-19.jpg
British Royalty, Born to the Silver Spoon
5" x 7"
Graphite pencils
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy cream drawing paper, unsized.
Photo reference of Dave the Cat by oldrockchick.

DrDebby
09-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Very regal.

vhere
09-20-2010, 03:28 AM
indeed :) the silver tabby pattern is beautiful

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Thank you! I worked hard on his markings - they're classic tabby pattern, but each cat has subtle differences to it - the width of one stripe or another, sometimes how many, where they bend or widen - I've drawn and studied them enough times to know the general pattern and be able to observe Dave's individual markings.

I sometimes think that a cat's facial markings are there to help make their facial expressions more obvious to other cats. So many cat families have distinctive markings around eyes or mouth that accent expressiveness. It's so this nearly random pattern makes sense to that other cat in the foliage when you're ready to start the hunt, or whether he's really drawing the line there or pushing yours, all the complex cat communications involve a lot of facial expressions.

vhere
09-20-2010, 10:35 AM
yes they have lovely expressive faces - we have no doubt when our little madame is scowling at us for not getting the chicken ready or blinking happily with a soft cat-smiley face when she's loving - or the mischievous look with the ears at a totally different angle

The angle of the ears and the eyes and whiskers are crucial. Oh and of course the tail - down for 'don't bother me now' or up in greeting :)

Whisperwood
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
wow, you really captured that "Royal" look!!!

virgo68
09-20-2010, 09:51 PM
:)

JTMB
09-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Great stuff, especially the felines, and especially the royal feline! :)

Along the lines of British royalty, perhaps you and our British friends in the forum will enjoy this. In the mid-80's at a small startup company I worked with a British guy who was brilliant (Oxford undergrad/Harvard MBA) but far too theoretical for a small, hands-on company, so he was only there a bit. His name was as British as could be...Grenville xxxxx, III. (I used the x's because who knows, he still might be out there somewhere, although the story is funny, not disparaging.)

When we got to know him, we kidded him about his regal-sounding name (his family was a major sailing family, so presumably was affluent). He jokingly said that, yes, his was a family that had long and distinguished British roots. Which he followed with..."Ahh, but you see I was born two hundred years too late - I really was meant to rule you colonials!" He was very nationalistic about his beers, and was pleasantly astonished when he found out that a nearby pub (near Portland, Oregon) had a monstrous selection of international beers on draft, including Guinness and several British beers that Grenville knew and liked. So several days a week after a long day, we would all go with Grenville to this pub and he would pontificate on the superiority of British brews to our 'hopeless colonial swill'. So we were there one day and several of us ordered a pint of Red Hook ale - a microbrewery from the Seattle area (this was in the days when microbreweries were just starting to come on the scene). Grenville ordered a British beer and when the waitperson came, two of us noticed immediately that she had inadvertently switched pints and one of us got Grenville's, and he got one of our Red Hooks. I watched intently to see what his reaction was. He grabbed it without looking, quaffed and got a very strange look on his face. He held the pint out at arm's length, looked at it and said, '...this is NOT what I ordered, but it is *b100dy* FANTASTIC.' And then yelled to the waitperson (no I'm not making this up) 'Wench, pray tell what is this beer?' Meanwhile my buddy and I started to laugh and told him what had happened. His response, 'Well, I'll be, there is hope for you colonials yet!' and polished off the beer. Thereafter, he made it his personal quest to uncover additional emerging American microbrews and when he found one, would drag us to the appropriate pub to sample it.

Sorry for the long off-topic digression, but the royal tabby is to blame, really...:lol:

CandAlArt
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Have you tried using the "wrong" side on Nature Sketch? I notice at work today, as I was sneaking a feel of the papers as I tend to do while drooling.... the front of the paper seemed to have more texture, and was smoother on the back, like some wc papers. Usually it is a good thing and suits different media.

Whisperwood
09-21-2010, 01:03 AM
John - ROFL! I love Guinness though! :lol: But do like the Cider they often make in the Northern Breweries!!! :D

robertsloan2
09-21-2010, 01:12 AM
John, that's so cool! Thanks for the story about your friend. I can just see that, the look on his face. ROFL!

Vivien, it's clear you speak perfect Cat in body language. Half the scritches they teach us by purring to reward them are our learning to do hand equivalents. I actually head-bump Ari back sometimes, or touch noses with him. I'll lay in bed and he'll come up and intently sniff my breath just as he would with another cat. They are nature's intelligent diplomats, brilliant at teaching any other creature how to understand cats.

I did another one tonight with a very different expression in my Blick sketchbook, just another pencil sketch. I'm on a graphite roll but keep thinking of doing pen/watercolor again.

Haven't tried the smooth side at all, even though I usually like doing so with watercolor paper. I just love the texture of the front side of the Pentalic paper, the very absorbent side.

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-193-6-to-10.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Items #6 - 10
5" x 7"
Ball point pen and water wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb cream unsized heavy drawing paper.

I love this paper. I've only got a dozen pages left, but I'll definitely replace this sketchbook when it's full. It wouldn't surprise me if I finished this one before I start on the larger one for my October challenge.

DrDebby
09-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Great hunt sketches. Now, how were you able to draw the feather without Ari taking it away to play with?

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Hehehe - drew it while he was asleep in the bathroom. He doesn't come out to see whenever he hears me drawing, he knows that's what I do. But I do sometimes have to chase him off of marbles, shells, little things I'm drawing.

It's this strange little cat game between us. When he wants something on my table, he'll sit in my lap and reach for it very slow. I move it. He waits a bit, reaches for it again, watches me to see if I'm not looking.

We've played "cat chess" with still life objects, pencil cups, my spoon, pens, but his favorite "cat chess" piece is my kneaded eraser. Once in a while he hooks a claw into it and shakes his paw and shoots it across the room, that's Ari scoring at "cat chess." I score if I reach past him and move it out of his reach.

Today I tested my sample tubes of Lukas Cryl acrylics. I think these are the Pastos ones, heavy body tube acrylics. They had a nice stiff texture but I thinned them with water to handle them more like watercolor. I'm going to review them. Here's a color chart and a painting done with the colors I mixed in a porcelain flower palette.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2010/70184-Acrylic-Flowers-Lukas-1862-Sept-22-2010.jpg
Acrylic Flowers - Lukas Cryl Test
5" x 7"
Ballpoint pen and sample triad of Lukas Cryl acrylics from Jerry's Artarama
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy cream unsized paper.

DrDebby
09-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice colors with this triad. Are the secondary colors done 50/50?

Bootz
09-22-2010, 11:47 PM
I love the marble. I forgot about the scavenger hunt threads. Thanks for the reminder!

Whisperwood
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Hehehe - drew it while he was asleep in the bathroom. He doesn't come out to see whenever he hears me drawing, he knows that's what I do. But I do sometimes have to chase him off of marbles, shells, little things I'm drawing.

It's this strange little cat game between us. When he wants something on my table, he'll sit in my lap and reach for it very slow. I move it. He waits a bit, reaches for it again, watches me to see if I'm not looking.

We've played "cat chess" with still life objects, pencil cups, my spoon, pens, but his favorite "cat chess" piece is my kneaded eraser. Once in a while he hooks a claw into it and shakes his paw and shoots it across the room, that's Ari scoring at "cat chess." I score if I reach past him and move it out of his reach.

This had me rolling... LOL! :lol: Oh I can just picture it! I love cats! :)

robertsloan2
09-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Debby, the secondary colors weren't done exactly 50-50. The red's got a high tinting strength so I just added a little of the red into a larger blob of yellow till I got it to the mid-hue I wanted. The green was about 50-50, the purple was about 50-50. But when mixing orange I found it's better to start with the yellow and add just a little red at a time till it's the color I want.

Bootz, thank you! That's great. Please do come join the Scavenger Hunt! I made up an easier list this time, it's not all The Hunt For My Cat.

Rachel, thanks! Yep, Ari is a cat's cat. He really has every cat habit on the books. But he's very gentle. He likes to give love bites, more a grab with his teeth - if I don't pull away he won't break the skin. Just sit there for a moment holding my hand or arm in his mouth and watch me wondering what's next.

Whisperwood
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
LOL awww!

virgo68
09-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Heehee, can just picture the cat chess! Funny how any animal that you have for a pet surprises you with the personality they have. I watched Harry for about 20 mins the other day going around and around a soccer ball, nudging it, waiting for it to roll back so he could go round and round again. My hubby wants to train him to "scissor kick" the ball to score a goal - I wished him good luck....... lol! A world first for rabbits I would think?!

Whisperwood
09-25-2010, 01:32 PM
LOL Jackie ... get the camcorder ready! ;-)

vhere
09-25-2010, 03:48 PM
love the cat chess!!!

aren't feathers lovely to draw?

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you! LOL the rabbit story. Animals love games, they're a lot smarter than people think they are. Ari was playing cat chess again with me last night, using his favorite kneaded eraser. It always gets these deep claw grooves in it because it's so soft and he has to grab hard to pick it up.

Today I tried one of the Plant Parade flowers in watercolor:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2010/70184-Frangipani-Plant-Parade-Sept-2010-1.jpg
Frangipani I
5" x 7" Watercolor on Pentalic Nature Sketch unsized 130lb drawing paper.

Photo reference by Dewi for Sept. 2010 Plant Parade.

I've got more in the other sketchbook too.

DrDebby
09-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Interesting flower. Do you know what kind it is?

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Plumeria, also called frangipani. I did a portrait in colored pencil for an Australian friend once where I posed her with a bunch of them and loved the interesting color shifts from yellow to pink. Turns out they come in yellow, red, white, a lot of different colors and combinations. I think their spiral structure's fascinating.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I just LOVE these paintings, drawings and sketches.... each and everyone is sooooo full of life and details, that no words would be enough to express what you have created.

I LOVE your work Robert, and thanks to you, I am trying things that normally terrify me, or things that I would "cheat" at by using grids to draw out - as I can see from your progression, that simple practice will get you there in the long run (along with a LOT of studing!).

So again THANKYOU for your inspiration, your wonderful works and your generosity to those that are learning and on the path of descovering onself and one's art!!!!!

robertsloan2
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Thank you! Stacey, that warms my heart to know that I'm inspiring you to try new things and difficult sketches. Yep. Do it again and again and it'll come out well. Drawing something by grid helps too. It's not cheating, it's just a measuring method - but once you free yourself from it, life drawing lets you go that final step to sketch from memory or imagination as well as references.

If you want help with anything, just ask. I'm still learning and one of the best ways for me to retain what I'm studying is to explain it to someone else.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-193-26-and-other-life-sketches.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Item #26 - Back
Plus other life drawings
5" x 7"
Ballpoint pen and watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized drawing paper.

I finally caught him facing away - in a position I love. When he settles down like that with his belly on the ground his elbows go straight up and stick out over his back with two poufs of pale undercoat showing while his knees stick up behind them. He's such a great cat and so beautiful. The more I draw him, the more I appreciate how beautiful Ari is.

virgo68
09-27-2010, 09:17 PM
The frangipani is lovely - very Japanese/oriental feeling to it - I love frangipani, I think they are a lovely flower. The latest scavenger hunt pics are great - I really like the boxes and apples, the colour looks so inviting - but the pecan and Ari are great because I love the ink work with it. I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite of your styles of work Robert - you do so many things so well! :)

09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Awwwwww what a BEAUTIFUL pose the Ari is in!!!! He is definetly one gorgeous cat.

The other painting from life are amazing in there control and colouration subtilities.

THANKYOU and YES I will take you up on that offer, as the October Challenge Sketchbook will be for just that, for me to NOT use grids or lightboxes to transfer the images. I know that because it has been almost 2 years since I have done this, that they are going to be terrible at first, but I hope with time and practice - I will get there!!

robertsloan2
09-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Jackie, thank you! I like having that many styles. It's part of what keeps me focused, to keep switching mediums. I wind up learning something in one medium and then apply it in all the others.

Stacey, thank you! Ari is a beautiful cat and I appreciate him more every time I draw him. I'm so happy you're going to try life drawing in your October sketchbook! I'll post as many tips as I can - it helps me to remember them or figure out what I did when something looks good.

Here's another one. JTMB let me use the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2010/70184-Redhead-Duck.jpg
Redhead Duck
5" x 7"
Blue-black Pigma Micron size 05 and watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized cream drawing paper.
Photo reference by Janet Hadley.

09-28-2010, 07:52 AM
WOW this is just beautiful, the movement in the water, the colours in the duck...... just perfect.

I would also like to try this reference, as the water reflection intrigue me.... as I have never really done water reflections before, it could be both fun and scary (and probably fustrating! LOL).

AGAIN thankyou for the willingness to help me out during the month!

Whisperwood
09-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice job on the Redhead duck! Love the sun reflecting off that water!

JTMB
09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I agree Robert - great job on the Redhead!

DrDebby
09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Great pose on Ari.

The duck is delightful. The water is in that is gorgeous.

robertsloan2
09-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank you! Ask JTMB about the reference, it's in one of his bird journal threads. The reflections on the water fascinated me too, everything did.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2010/70184-Apples-on-Pitt-Pen-Boxes-2.jpg
Apples on Pitt Pen Boxes 2
5" x 7"
Derwent watercolor pencils and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized heavy drawing paper.

09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
THis is such an beautiful and unusual still life, LOVE IT!!!!

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you! It just happened by accident but I loved it the moment I saw it. I'll probably do it again in different mediums.

Joan T
09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Robert - You've got so many journals going and when I clicked on this one I didn't realize that it had been going on for quite a while. Knowing you, you're probably nearing the end of it and I was just reading how you just started it. lol I love all the different mediums you've used in this. There is just too much here to comment on, but I love the sketches. At some point maybe I'll catch up on all I missed while I was away.

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Yep, I'm close to the end. I think I've got maybe seven pages left, it blew my mind to realize how fast I filled it. I'll be using another Pentalic Nature Sketch for next month's Sketchbook in a Month challenge. Because it takes all the different mediums I use, I can really relax and ramble through everything I can draw with.

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, this brings it down to six left... very close to the finish!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2010/70184-Challenge-Lily-Pen-and-Ink.jpg
Orange Lily, Crystal and Nuts
5" x 7"
Pigma Micron colors, size 05
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb heavy cream drawing paper.
Photo reference for orange lily by madmum

JTMB
09-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Your latest sketches are great, Robert! I particularly like the still life and the acorn. How do you find the Pigma Micron pens compare to the Pitt line? (I know it's a bit apples and oranges in that - to my knowledge anyway - Pigma doesn't have anything like the Pitt 'big brush' pens.) I use both and do really like the Pigma sepias, but have migrated over to Pitts for the brush pen stuff, much credit due to you...!

DrDebby
09-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Love seeing you handle the micron pens. So simple and elegant a line.

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Thank you both! John, I have the Sepia set of Pigma Micron so I've got one small brush tip to compare to Pitt Artist Pens. I trust the Pigma Microns are just as archival so I'd use those for the same techniques. I love Pigma Micron fine line pens for their clean line, very similar to Rapidograph technical pens but without the clogging, breakdown, expense and trouble.

I still might get a set of Rapidographs again someday, but when I do I'll probably still use the Pigma Microns more often just for their convenience. Here's another pen and wash page. Heck, I might finish this sketchbook just as I'm about to start my sketchbook in a month challenge! Only five pages to go.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2010/70184-Doe-and-Bark.jpg
Doe and Broken Tree
5" x 7"
Sakura Pigma Micron, sepia and blue-black, plus watercolor
Photo reference for doe by CM_Neidhofer, photo for broken tree mine.

DrDebby
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
The doe grazing is superb. I see them all the time around here.

virgo68
09-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Robert I like the pecan and the acorn - spot on, and the doe and the broken tree are lovely and fresh. I like the colours on the broken tree, perfect!

Carole A
09-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Only one day to go Robert to finish this one. You will, I know.

I love your doe! Critters are always my favs.

Carole

robertsloan2
09-30-2010, 04:00 AM
Thank you! I'm starting to think I might finish up this small one before starting the big one. With only four pages left and a watercolor practice thread going, I might finish it just with assorted water mediums and then launch into the sketchbook in a month challenge. It's a good warmup!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2010/70184-Basic-Practice-Tree-WC.jpg
Tree from Imagination
5" x 7"
Watercolor: Paynes Grey, Sap Green, Yellow Ochre, Quinacridone Burnt Orange
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized heavy cream drawing paper.

WYSIWYG
09-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I love how you've suggested so much with simple lines and washes in these... especially the doe and tree. Every time I try to use such simple elegance it looks nothing like this! LOL

09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
ONCE AGAIN THESE WORKS ARE AMAZING ROBERT! Each one brought to life and so much detail with little effort. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the final few for this sketchbook!!!!!

robertsloan2
09-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, thank you both! I'm so glad you're enjoying these. WYSIWG - I gained that elegance from doing sumi-e exercises from The Sumi-E Book, which I bought in 2004. I found out that I liked watercolor more than the actual sumi-e ink and that using a brush pen let me do hundreds of them quick and easy. That affected everything I drew or painted later.

Here's two more! I'm planning on finishing this book today, to get ready for the big event tomorrow. I took out the 8 1/2" x 11" one for tomorrow, it's all fresh and clean and new. Can't wait to get started!

I'm definitely replacing the small one though, I love it and it filled up so fast even though I've got others in progress at the same time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2010/70184-Rockfall.jpg
Rockfall
5" x 7"
Sepia Pigma Micron brush pen, Burnt Umber watercolor

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2010/70184-Storm-in-Corn-Country.jpg
Storm in Corn Country
5" x 7"
Sepia Pigma Micron size 01, watercolor

robertsloan2
09-30-2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-194-10-11.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 194, Items #10 and #11
5" x 7"
Derwent watercolour pencils and wash
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized heavy cream colored drawing paper.

robertsloan2
09-30-2010, 11:29 PM
The finale - the very last page of my first Pentalic Nature Sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2010/70184-Memory-Garden.jpg
Memory Garden
5" x 7"
Lukas 1862 watercolor
Pentalic Nature Sketch 130lb unsized heavy drawing paper.

DrDebby
10-01-2010, 12:08 AM
TA-DA! Yay, you finished it. Great sketches. The tree has lots of character. I love the storm clouds.

vhere
10-01-2010, 06:42 AM
the play of warm/cool colour and depth of the shadows works really well in the tree bark one

virgo68
10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What an achievement (esp considering all the other work you complete) - I don't know how you manage it all!

I really like the storm over corn fields - the colour works so well and the pen work makes me think of the calm of the earth as the sky battles to pummel it! Good stuff Robert :)

10-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Oh WOW RObert, everything in this sketchbook has been amazing, I LOVE it. BUT the memory garden is GORGEOUS. So freeing and perfect as the final to an amazing journal!!!!

Congrats Robert!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey