PDA

View Full Version : spirituality and your art

debi-d
10-08-2002, 07:37 PM
I like to think of my self as a spritiual person. There have been many instances of "guidance" in my life, all leading me to where I am now. In creating there are times when I know I am in the "flow" the creative channel is strong and the paint just flies on the canvas, othertimes I force it my work is just not the same.

For yourselves I know we have an eclectic mix here and I would never slight anyones beliefs, but for those of you who are spritual and work with the divine, do you have a way of accessing it. Do you meditate or have an alternative way to tap the flow of the divine?
deb

Marquisina
10-09-2002, 03:07 AM
hey Debi

I find that meditating helps "de-fuzz" my brain and I can then be more open to the creative in me. There are times when I too try to force myself to paint, and its just not the same. My work looks stiff and I tend to make more "mistakes". But sitting in silence and breathing in the creative spirit works wonders for me.
See ya on Sunday ( or Tuesday!!)

Marquis:cat:

dots
10-09-2002, 05:26 AM
i get alot of trasendent and meditative non thought in the prosess of art,i try to work when the stuff looks bad and isnt working well,the mistakes can be good when i just push thru them....i used to get high 30 years ago and paint the hallucinations.....then realized i can hallucinate without drugs....or change my vision to a differnt setting. still meditate,but differently from the t.m. way the mantra is replaced with the medium to get to the non thought stage... the way i change my vision is as simple as squinting and sometimes doing a few fisical things that work.........when we were little art students in the 60s we atleast tryed to get high in a non stupid,goofy way but we were kidding ourselves .drugs have changed and so has the drug culture,they can be a way of wasting time to me any form of art,doing it or just enjoying it is one of lifes best highs, and alot of people would probably not do outside forms of stimulation if they realized how much a kick it is to enjoy the arts

bethg
10-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Deb,
I paint alot of spiritual work. Since I believe that all my actions should reflect my religious beilifs, when I create something I just sit and paint..I am not meditating prior to getting started. However I (try) to pray daily so perhaps that is how I tap into my spiritual side, but it's not like I am painting right after I pray. Normally I am eating breakfast or running off to a class.

Now that is said, I will tell you what does inspire me to paint...I find the inspiration for my most spiritual paintings come when I am hiking and out in nature. Hiking is how I clear my mind of unnessary chatter when that goes away I often see things differently and want to capture that feeling. After the burst of inspiration the paintings want to rush out.

So maybe that will help,
Good luck with what ever you try.

Beth

Ron van den Boogaard
10-10-2002, 09:04 AM
I do menditate daily, usually morning after I have done the morning pages. In general that does help me to get into the flow. On the other hand, sometimes when I start to paint and it does not work, when it gets an effort, then I just abandon that particular thing and turn something else. Up until three weeks ago I was painting, then could not set myself to it, turned to my clay and polyester objects for a week untill that became a struggle and two weeks ago went to the colourpencils and pastels. Untill this very days there are things happening there that I can only explain as "the hand of God".
Did between 15 and 20 drawings and each single time there is a basic idea and each single time the result is something completely different. It really feels as being dictated by the universe. I merely stand there and hold my pastels or colour-pencils to a point where I can't stop sometimes and I really have to force myself to tend to the regular daily stuff (like eat sleep and answer the occasional letter)

On the whole there is a connection between my sense of spirituality and my work, in fact it gets harder all the time to make a seperation and why should I do that anyway.
Hope this sheds some light on what you are experiencing as well. But I have to disappoint you that I do not have a specific recipe to invoke "the flow"

Ron vdB (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox/)

zeegallerie
10-10-2002, 11:52 AM
when I'm in nature alone I just start to paint and interesting things happens, no planned images they just happen as the paint flows, when this starts to happen I can't stop until it's finished. attached image the figure just appeared

Taminka
10-10-2002, 06:19 PM
I find it's a state of mind that just happens sometimes, when I'm feeling peaceful and content with life. I know that feeling of everything just flowing and you "know' your painting is going to work. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I really feel alive as I paint - inspired - and it does feel as if the guidance is comng from somewhere else.

I can sometimes create those feelings of peace by a solitary walk on the beach. I'm lucky enough to live just half a mile from a beautiful deserted beach. It always fills me with a wonderful awe of nature, and is definitely a spiritual experience for me. Rainforests have the same effect on me.

My husband is a writer and calls his experence "building a crystal palace". One distraction from outside and it shatters and the precious "zone" he's in is gone. (I stay away!)

I just reread what I've written and it sounds really disjointed, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. I find it really hard to express these thoughts and feelings in mere words.

Minky

debi-d
10-11-2002, 08:29 PM
I love that name for being in the flow, as I do reiki which is a type of energy work for anyone who doesnt know. I often will get in the flow and tap that universal energy channel. While Im there its like being in a different dimension. I think of it the same as breathing when Im in that zone.
In my household I appear to be the only one who understand it. My daughter doesnt and my husband doesnt, ask to be left alone and all of a sudden they are both balancing their feminine side and goin and getting all sentive on me.
They get all needy and feel that its appropriate to have an indepth conversation with me, and the nerve they often acuse me of not listing. Truth be known Im ususally not. Im in a creative zone.
I dont like it when people watch me paint, others dont have that problem but I do. Its my personal issue. I tell them dont take it personally but I have needs too. I need to paint I need to create and I need you to be quiet and outof my space.........
argh thats my kvetching thanks for listening
deb

Taminka
10-12-2002, 12:38 AM
Deb,
I used to feel like your family do - sort of rejected by my husband when he wanted to spend his creative time alone. It took me a long time to understand. I had to learn how to enjoy being alone. Now I cherish the time I spend in my own little world :)
- Minky

hummingbird
10-24-2002, 05:53 PM
>>>Do you meditate or have an alternative way to tap the flow of the divine?

I beg! LOL..actually I like to do visualizations. Sometimes I play Native American flute music when I paint and that helps me too.

Pat

impressionist2
10-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Boy, I knew I was going to love this forum!

Okay, as for me, I pray daily, really all the time, like a running conversation with a very good Friend, so that's my form of meditation. But, while my beliefs may be antithetical to others on these boards, I really am a live and let live kind of person. I don't impose my beliefs on others but when asked, I will voice them.

However, I am also open to all kinds of spirituality and do believe the dead can communicate with the living, and vice versa- everyday, through messages and signs and I do believe there are no coincidences. Also, that we are all here in "school" learning what we missed the last time around, although I can't say for sure how that works exactly.

Plus, I could be in a Buddist or Jewish temple, a circle of stones, or a church and I can experience all those forms of spirituality. I do believe we are all part of each other and that what we do in our lives has rippling effects that are far reaching. That every thought we think, creates our own reality.

I think when we die we are given the gift of enlightenment and probably cannot believe how we missed our opportunities to grow in this lifetime, through ego and stupidity.

Plus, I believe Spirit is guiding me in my art.

I never thought I would ever talk about any of this in these forums, so I guess this forum is already living up to it's name and purpose which is to expand ourselves and our understanding.

Renee

paintfool
10-25-2002, 08:44 PM
:) i'm so enjoying reading these posts.

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 04:46 AM
Hi Renee and Paintfool and Everyone! I'm enjoying reading these posts alot too. And Renee, I hear ya. I have many of the same feelings. I see this earth as a school too. And believe there is a closer connection between the dead and the living than most of us realize. There is alot to be gained from many ways of defining the Divine. Thats what makes studying religions and thinking about spirituality so much fun. Its amazing how we've tried to define this over the ages.

This just made me think of something. I know in "Freeing Your Creative Spirit" by Adriana Diaz she talks about creating a sacred space for making art. A place to connect with spirit or just relax before actually painting or anything. Quieting the outside world. Other creativity books talk about this too I think. Adriana gave some general guidelines on constructing a simple triptych for artists to use in their sacred space using collage. I remember years ago when I was working this book, I made one of those and for a time did use it. Had a little candle and it did give me a feeling of settling down and going into a special place from which to create art from. I don't have anything like that set up now. Maybe I should do that again, it was really nice just to have a special place. Has anyone else done this?

Well I'm really looking forward to sharing in this forum!

Pat

impressionist2
10-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Adriana gave some general guidelines on constructing a simple triptych for artists to use in their sacred space using collage. I remember years ago when I was working this book, I made one of those and for a time did use it. Had a little candle and it did give me a feeling of settling down and going into a special place from which to create art from. -Hummingbird

Pat, First of all the library is getting a call today about this book-(I always test run a book before buying it).

Secondly I love the triptych idea. Are you saying three panels to hand on the wall next to your art space? I would collage them using found images? Hmmmm, sounds really interesting And CREATIVE!

Candles have been used in every spiritual ceremony throughout the ages up to today. From pagan circles to the highest Cathedrals, candles are integrated into the proceedings. Think of the last ceremony you attended and try to remember if candles were used. They were. Light is another whole theme and represents the highest in spiritual matters.

Can you explain a little how to construct this triptych? My first project here on the Creativity forum. If we get enough people involved we could have our first "sticky" project thread!

Renee

llis
10-26-2002, 10:24 AM
I also find a deep connection with my spiritual side when I create. I also enjoy listening to classical music when I am working on a piece. I told someone one time that it was like connecting with the artists of the past and having a guide for what to do next. It really is the strangest thing. My signature paintings, blackberries in a white bowl, are the direct result of being in this spiritual zone, so as to speak. I had been reading an article about the Peale family and how all of them were so gifted doing early american still life and portrait work, and ran across a painting by Raphaelle Peale of blackberries in a white bowl. That was my inspiration. When I began work on a painting of my own, it was like R. P. was right with me. It was an awesome feeling and I love it when I'm there. Raphaelle Peale (http://search.famsf.org/4d.acgi$Record?132528&=list&=1&=Peale%20Blackberries&=And&=1&=0&=keywords&=Yes&=&=&=&=Yes&=&=f)

Classical music is another connection I make. I really enjoy getting into the feel of the music and letting it translate to my painting.

God, yes, it's awesome to have connections and I don't think I would function too well with out connections from above. Everything I do gets connected back to God in one way or another. When you are a spiritual person, there is no way around it. :) It's a natural thing and all inspiring.

Gosh... I feel so blessed. :) Thanks so much for letting me share. I'm so glad that this forum has evolved in this direction.

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 11:01 AM
OK, I dug out my tryptych that I made a few years ago...way back in the last millenium ;-) Its kind of embarrassing to share. Today I would make this totally differant, but here is where I was then.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2002/triptych.JPG

The author, Adriana Diaz calls this exercise "The Triptych Altarpiece" and suggests starting with a cardboard box. Triptych is three panels which you can cut any shape you like. You can gesso over the cardboard in white or black before painting if you like. I just used those acrylic craft paints that come in the little plastic bottles. I know that some of the arts and crafts stores now carry unfinished wood triptyches. When I make this again, I'm gonna get one of those (Michael's if you live in the US has them). That would be more permanent.

Once you have that ready she suggests collaging on it. And some of her suggestions were: symbolic representations of the elements, leaves, fabrics, postcards, paintings, photos, wallpaper and so on.

I collaged images from magazines and flyers of the Goddess for mine. Put a little paintbrush on there. Put cats on there --I was just getting into animal communication at the time, those funny little flying things are supposed to be spirits LOL, tiny multi-colored star shaped sequens, a few faux jewels, a button from a spiritual organization I used to belong to, a comic of a lady in a tub that says "my time" and a pic of the moon to establish something beyond us. I think thats about it. But anyways you get the idea.

I used to light a candle but I kept it far away enough from the cardboard triptych so that there wasn't a danger of fire --thats the only thing you gotta be careful of. That book is the book I'm referring to.

I think its time to make a new one.

>>>If we get enough people involved we could have our first "sticky" project thread!

Renee, you mean "sticky" isn't a guy here? I always thought he was some helpful guy around here. hahahaha

llis that was beautiful what you wrote! :clap: :clap: Thank you sooo much for sharing it.

Pat

Koert
10-26-2002, 12:13 PM
i meditate/pray at least an hour a day. Not sure what and/or difference is between meditating and praying, if there is one, i don't really care either. After i've just meditated i can't paint. I'm to relaxed then, and i need a certain amount of nervousness to do something.

so far i haven't painted anything religious, or however you want to call it. Religion/god/whatever is so present in my life, i don't feel the need to put it in my paintings

debi-d
10-26-2002, 06:01 PM
I think the difference between meditating and praying is when you pray you do all the talking and when you meditate you listen.

I meditate often, in a couple of different ways one by walking and the other sitting.

Humming bird as we grow we change and as we change we reflect on how we have grown. Its wonderful how our art grows with us as well.
There are many things today I would do different hindsite has such remarkable foresite.

Illis I feel very much the same way you do, the one painter whos work I feel close to is MOnet. There are times when I so trance when Im painting and I do exactly the same ask for guidance in my hands from that of a master.

Impressionist2 I laughed this week I missdialed a phone number at work, the person on the other end of the phone asked me by name what the heck I was doing. I was flabbergasted and asked who was I speaking to. It was my sister. Her number and the womans I was dialing was 1 digit off. I said it was wierd dialing a wrong number and getting your sister.
She had wanted to talk to me, she wanted to tell me she was getting a dog. How funny was that
Great thread everyone thanks for your contributions and thoughts

debi

impressionist2
10-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Ilis, Your post is so wonderful.

I agree with the thought that we are all blessed. There are so many times during the week that I just say "thank you" to God for all the wonderful things in my life.
I don't have a lot of what the world would admire materially, but I have inner peace and good people in my life and lots of love. Those are real treasures.

We are all brought into each others lives for a purpose. I was with friends today who lost a child. Not much harder thing than that to cope with. Through me, she has started art lessons and I can see the excitement in her eyes as she plans her next painting. I know I will never come close to erasing the pain that will in measure always be there, but I did have a purpose in meeting her, as well as she has, adding riches of friendship and love to mine.

Pat, Thanks so much for the tip about the wooden triptychs at Michaels. I have one close by. I was thinking about the materials I would need today and wondering what to use so I can get started.

Are we all doing one? That would be great. Pat, when they are all finished we'll ask "Sticky" if he'll post them for us. :D

In that vein I recall my daughter saying a few years ago, how clever that was of the NY State government to give the "Gowanus Parkway" it's name. We asked her what she was talking about. She said "Well, they're saying to everyone driving, "Go On Us"!" She's a pip. :)

Renee

hummingbird
10-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi Debi, Koert and Renee and Everyone!

Koert --sounds good to me!

Debi --thanks for starting this thread. Yep, agree about how art can change with us. Neat feeling that Monet is with you when you paint. And that it feels like Rembrant Peele is guiding llis.

Renee-

>>>I don't have a lot of what the world would admire materially, but I have inner peace and good people in my life and lots of love. Those are real treasures.

That's all that counts anyways! Oh one thing about those triptypches at Michaels...I went there today...they're gone!
:mad: I don't know if they needed room for Christmas or what but they don't have them out at ours anymore. I'm gonna try Hobby Lobby. Somebody stills gotta have them out. It must be a law of the universe that when you don't have a use for something you'll see it a gazillion times. Then when you need it, you can't find it. LOL

I don't know if everyone else wants to make them but I'm gonna go ahead and make another one. I'd love to see a pic of yours Renee when you are done.

Cracking up about getting Sticky to post for us. And I love what your daughter said about "Gowanus Parkway." Thats good! :)

Pat

sgtaylor
10-26-2002, 11:06 PM
I've had trouble for quite some time now with words like religious or spiritual concerning myself. There is something I wish to say... to myself, not anyone else... and these words are sort of what I want to say... but maybe not quite. There is something like religion... something like spirituality... in my art, my music... my whole life I guess. I wish I knew what the right word was. When I was younger I used the word magick....and sometimes I still do. But that word - like the other two - embarrasses me a little.

I liked very much what debi-d said about meditation and prayer. I do not pray, and I don't think I ever shall. I do listen though... maybe that's what I'm doing... meditating? I must get quiet - and as others have said - I must not be disturbed. Whatever it is that I'm doing is very fragile.

I really do wish I knew what I was talking about.

Taminka
10-27-2002, 02:00 AM
sgtaylor - I think many of us understand more than you might think.

The way I look at it, it's all just too big for our puny little brains to wrap our heads around. We just know there's "something" !!!

Sometimes I think it's better not to try to understand, just accept what seems like "truth" for you and enjoy!!!

At least we have open enough minds to look for possibilities.

Now that really does sound like a lot of nonsense!! I thought I knew what I was trying to say!!!

Minky:confused:

hummingbird
10-27-2002, 05:31 AM
I think when artists speak of being in the flow its the same thing...? That creative stream where you like forget yourself and are just experiencing the process, totally lose track of time and are open and wind up going beyond what you can usually do?

Like athletes talk about sometimes when they are able to do what seems superhuman almost and they try to describe how they were just in this other place when it was happening.

Transcendance? Sort of. Kind of....

Words...ugh. This is why I'm not a writer.

Pat

Southern Style
10-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Interesting responses! Spirituality to me means a relationship with a living God. I am a Christian and I feel that not only is God part of my life, He is my life. Everything I do is influenced by my relationship with Him... wheather consciously or not.
I do pray at times when I'm painting, and I meditate on my creators' supreme display of the variety of sizes, colors, shapes and complexities in the natural world. The spiritual side of me that feels His presence with me and in me..is exhilarating and leaves me in awe of His power and love.
I don't consciously try to influence others by my art, but it's nice when you feel you have succeeded in some small way to elevate, uplift and inspire. In my art, I learn about myself in the "critique"..to not be so self-centered, that the world doesn't revolve around me and how "good" I am. I'm not talking about self-esteem, rather a healthy balance of who I am, and how I relate to the world and how the world relates to me. Life pre-Christ I was on the "throne"..always running around wanting "my" needs met and feeling I deserved it. I had a lot of stinking thinking in those days and still relapse from time to time but now I know the "standard" is there, and with it, the rewards of aspiring to that higher standard.

impressionist2
10-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Marcia, I don't think anyone has indicated they want to debate anyone else. I am happy to see people sharing so openly that area of our lives we hold most dear. It's wonderful to see all of us expressing without fear, what we feel and believe.

I think each of us has own own path and where we are on that path is where we are supposed to be. Without judgement from someone else. I think the crux of spirituality is Love. Plus, with that love comes acceptance and tolerance of others. Jesus said, "If you have not Love, you have nothing."

Tolerance is the one thing that is missing in the world today. Why people feel that you must believe what I believe or you are wrong, is something I will never understand. I am content just to happily read and enjoy what each of you has written. I think it is simply interesting and certainly not something to debate.

I hope everyone new to this thread will feel safe in expressing whatever their views are.

Sg and Minky, I understand what you both are saying and your words rang clear. You both expressed yourselves well.

Renee

TedB
10-27-2002, 11:08 PM
llis wrote: "... When you are a spiritual person, there is no way around it. It's a natural thing and all inspiring...."

my understanding is simply that each of us is a spiritual being, who just so happens to be doing some time on earth. not the belief that we are earth beings first, and spirit beings later. our spirit years are unending, earth years are brief.

and so, with this belief in mind, our creative expressions fulfill those needs we have to re-connect ourselves to what we REALLY are.......spiritual beings. because we lack so many defined understandings as earth-beings, we make whatever connections we require with our spiritual selves through the art we produce. this happens to be our means for connecting.

individuals have so many ways to make these connections - obviously these are influenced by the earth plane because that's what we think we know....and that's what we consider more definite.

by considering the 3 levels of ourselves - our low self (the emotional force), our middle self (the intellectual force) and our HIGH SELF (our GOD Force) we are able to bring together the totality of who we are, what we are, where we have been. our art is one of our attempts to join these selves into a unity so that we can get to our spiritual roots, since they are overgrown with all the earth stuff !

meditation helps to bring these 3 selves together. it's absolutely amazing how inspired we become when there is a true understanding among the selves and a defined path for maintaining that understanding.

i am sorry this sounds preachy - didn't mean it to be. it's just that i understand everything written thus far, and felt compelled to respond.

we are all searchers for our real LIGHT.....

blessings to you all......ted

debi-d
10-28-2002, 09:38 AM
I relate to what you said about what ever it is it is fragile.

When I am in the "flow", at one with the creator, to me it is zen like. I am emersed in the process and one tap on the shoulder, a knock on the door, a scream somewhere in the house. Usually brings me to the surface, like a deep dive and then the rush to air. And it leaves me, usually emotionally depleted and physically spent.
Who need to make love when you can paint. :)
my husbands greatest fear I think is that Ill choose my paint brushes over him.
Have a wonderful, creatively inspired day everyone.

debi

pampe
10-28-2002, 12:11 PM
wow

and I didn't even know this forum existed and I've been here forever....DUH

I have so enjoyed reading these personal and moving posts...thank you all

Throughout my journey, spirituality has been a huge part of the path

There was a line by Chopra, I think....who said "We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

I like that a lot.

There are so many ways to connect...art is certainly one HUGE way

Personally, I meditate daily.

I am open to whatever happens and wants me to notice...some years I feel like a witness, some times I feel far from center...but it never changes my belief that we are SPIRITUAL BEINGS

In my studio, I have the things that mean something to me....some would call it an altar.....from pictures of my deceased father and daughter to a my baby shoes......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2002/altar.jpg

Somewhere along the continuum of art-spirit......these things need to be here in the studio.....

impressionist2
10-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Pam, That is very feng shui to have your ancestors on display. All of our deceased relatives photos in frames, face the doorway to our home. We welcome them in to stay with us amid the living.

I took martial arts for a few years, more as a mental discipline than a means to kick someone's b--t, and I found the movements very soothing and centering.

I am currently looking to join a tai chi class.

Renee

debi-d
10-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Pampe,
i love your ida of an alter its a great way to honor your spirituality, with pictures of important people and things in our lives.

YOur quote about humans having a spiritual experience I believe comes from conversations with God.

you have a very nicly organized studio ...........that I envy! the organization.........

debi

mallory
10-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by pampe
In my studio, I have the things that mean something to me....some would call it an altar.....from pictures of my deceased father and daughter to a my baby shoes......

My medium of choice is watercolor, but once in awhile I play with ceramics. Earlier this year I was inspired to create an alter. It has holes in it so you can hang stuff from it.

mallory

Taminka
10-28-2002, 04:38 PM
Just reading all these posts is calming. It's so reassuring to know, amid the chaos of the world, that there are such wonderful people out there sending out positive energy.

My studio is my sanctuary from the world. It is full of objects that give me pleasure. My oil burner produces soothing aromas as I paint, and I play serene calming music.

My studio overlooks a wonderful pond that my sister and I created in an old spa a few months ago. It has trickling water, and many bird visitors.

Minky

pampe
10-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by debi-d
Pampe,
i love your ida of an alter its a great way to honor your spirituality, with pictures of important people and things in our lives.

YOur quote about humans having a spiritual experience I believe comes from conversations with God.

debi :)

actually, Deb...it was said way before that book:D

Winty
10-29-2002, 07:15 PM
I maintain a "mini garden" in my studio. Anything citrusy I find calming. So lemon balm and a citrus plant for now, among my other herbs, etc., and a celery plant, because I like the smell of that too. I also add essential oils to a little ceramic tray around the entryway light bulb. The first things I do in the morning are to open the blinds, turn on my radio to CBC fm (which plays classical music most of the day) and turn on my computer . . . my connection to the world. I also do the meditation (which I see as an 'emptying' of the mind, sort of clearing mental trash) and prayer bit. But some days are not destined to be good "art days" and if it doesn't seem to be working, I think that maybe it is a sign that I need to do something else for a while.

Ron van den Boogaard
10-30-2002, 10:51 AM
This forum is really taking off. I did moan at one point at the lack of activity on the TAW one, just must have been a misleading name or something.

It was funny to see that my altar that I keep in an abandoned chimney actually is a tripich, I guess these things just have to be this way.

Apart from listening to classical and acoustic guitar music, I do also listen a lot to hip-hop. And with that I do get a strong sense of connection also. These kids must really understand

RonvdB

hummingbird
10-30-2002, 12:14 PM
I am really enjoying reading these posts. And especially love the photos. Mallory your ceramic altar piece is wonderful. :clap: And its in the shape of a triptych too! Minky your pond is beautiful! :clap: I wish I had something like that. You did a most excellant job! Its so much fun to come here and read everything everyone is doing.

Pat

debi-d
10-31-2002, 11:26 AM
one of the things I have learned about myself and my sprituality is that I believe in a power that is greater than myself.
When I paint often I go to my zone and when my concious re surfaces then my "i" gets to see what I have created.

this is a painting I finished (maybe) this week as of yet it is unnamed but I seem to be working on Tunnel vision series.
I think one this belongs in that group.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2002/oct_30_001.jpg

mallory
10-31-2002, 11:40 AM
I started reading "Creativity: Where the Divine and the Human Meet", by Matthew Fox. I like Fox. I thought his "Original Blessing" was a great book. I don't buy everything he says, but he is interesting. He is a former Catholic Priest, tuned Episcopal Priest and the founder of the University of Creation Spirituality in Oakland California. He writes on page 28,

"I propose that when all is said and done, our true nature is our creativity. Psychologist Rollo May concurs when he says: 'The creative process must be explored not as the product of sickness, but as representing the highest degree of emotional health, as the expression of the normal people in the act of actualization of themselfs'..."
"An ancient Mesoamerican poet tells us that God dwells in the heart of the artist and the artist draws God out of his or her heart when the artist is at work.
"We are creators at our very core. Only creating can make us happy, for in creating we tap into the deepest powers of self and the universe and the Divine Self. We become co-creators, that is, we create with the other forces of society, universe, and the Godself when we commit to creativity."

mallory

PS: Debi - the painting sets out an interesting path to a very mysterious place. Provoking.

impressionist2
10-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Mike and Minky, I love the altar and the pond! Beautiful!

The most amazingly warm and fuzzy feeling comes from this thread. One miraculous thing is that with 37 posts and over 500 views, all is at peace on this thread. Not a small thing.

We have each stated what is most important ( and different) to our soul, and all the others have "Let it be".

That deserves a round of applause. (Imagine a clappy thing here!)

Renee

onefromheaven
11-01-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for starting this thread debi, I have really enjoyed reading it. I agree with the quote from Chopra that pampe posted.............."We are spiritual beings having a human experience" ............no truer words spoken.

For me, I find that painting or sculpting is a meditative experience in itself, it clears my mind. I have guardian angels, I always welcome them to paint with me and sometimes when I leave a painting to dry I come back to find that they have done some magic while I was away :) it's true...................lately I have realized that they like to play internet backgammon too. I started a painting of them a while back but got stuck on their gowns...........I think I will finish it now, thanks to this thread. Here's a pic of where I left off............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2002/1_6205.JPG

debi-d
11-01-2002, 09:44 PM
here is one I did last month.
I hope you can view it ok
debi

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2002/oct_30_003.jpg

rena
11-02-2002, 04:36 PM
hello all, haven' t logged on for months, and I've enjoyed so much reading these posts. I've been wrestling with trying to reconnect with aspects of my own creativity and spirituality for a while now. This is so helpful. Regards to all, Rea

impressionist2
11-03-2002, 02:35 PM
Maggie, Your painting is so beautiful! Debi, I can hardly see yours. I wish it were lighter. I'd love to see it.

I bought a box of crayons this weekend ( thanks Cheryl) and a cascading pagoda tabletop waterfall (thanks all of you) for my art space.

We were away at my daughter's this weekend and we all discussed the wonderful idea that we are all spirits, just visiting. We all agreed that is what we believe.
Renee

TedB
11-04-2002, 11:10 AM
YES, renee.........that's exactly what we are ! while throngs seek to enhance their earthly worlds, we know it's our spirit world which takes precedence. and, with such a realization, creative ouput soars !

ted :cat:

sgtaylor
11-04-2002, 12:55 PM
I once got into a conversation with my stone master about the importance of... uh... for lack of a better word... the sanctity of our personal studios. He said something that I will be thinking about for the rest of my life.

"We are holy men, and we make holy things."

I'm not even sure that I understand that - but somehow - I know that he was right.

TedB
11-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by sgtaylor

I'm not even sure that I understand that - but somehow - I know that he was right.

yes, i know he's right as well ! it's worth remembering this !

ted

pampe
11-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by sgtaylor
I once got into a conversation with my stone master about the importance of... uh... for lack of a better word... the sanctity of our personal studios. He said something that I will be thinking about for the rest of my life.

YES!!!!!!!!!! :cat:

that;s exactly it

and we should approach evry piece with the reverence it deserves

Beach Baby
11-10-2002, 10:00 PM
I've enjoyed reading this thread . It is interesting to hear the insights of the different artist. The whole concept of whether there is a spiritual nature to our work (Page 3-ish) is quite obvious to me. All creativity is a reflection of ourselves. I have a very specific style as do all of us. When I am having a bummer of a day it is reflected in my work. The work is still uniquley mine but there is a flatness to the energy in the piece.

If I can stop, and get myself in to a place of higher spirituality both physically and mentally, I emotionally manifest that energy into a positve creative style. Alters are not my style. Mother Nature is. Whatever works is where we need t go. Be careful not to limit your source of strength to a specific place. The alter could burn down. Its best not to place our faith on temporal things.

Setting aside the things of this world allow us to seek for the things of a better.

Winty
11-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Yes, but like the spiritual parts inside one, that may occasionally seem to "burn down", the altars (For those who enjoy the use of an altar as a focal point for their spirituality) can be rebuilt. As long as we recognize that they are merely symbolsl, and the real part that needs building, and rebuilding, and where our faith grows, is internal.

debi-d
11-14-2002, 05:04 PM
I was emailed this shortly after we had a discussion about it. Timming coincidence :) who knows

WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS HAVING A SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE WE ARE SPIRITUAL
BEINGS HAVING A HUMAN EXPERIENCE

Teilhard de Chardin

I guess it was him that said it

pampe
11-14-2002, 05:50 PM
I imagine it was...sounds like his words...then the New Agers picked up the quote!

Beach Baby....I think Nature is the best church of all...yes

Winty...it is all internal ;)

hummingbird
11-15-2002, 08:29 AM
Altars...I can only speak for myself. When I made that very simple one I was going through a workbook type book on creativity called "Freeing the Creative Spirit" by Adrianna Diaz and that was one of the exercises I had to do in the book. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. (BTW, it was really a purple color but the computer picked it up as pink). We all carry and hold close whatever our own personal beliefs are. No, we really don't *need* to make altars or sacred spaces as in we can't feel or practice our beliefs without them. But some of us just enjoy making them and letting whats inside out :)

I have heard that quote many times. New Agers.....alot of so called "new age" beliefs are actually quite old. And that can be a good thing.

I'm definately enjoying this thread. I love seeing what people from all differant faiths/spiritual backgrounds have to say. And bring to their art! :clap:

Pat

nightblooming
11-15-2002, 09:20 PM
I haven't been online for a couple of months, and what a pleasant surprise to log on to WC and find this forum, with this thread.

Spirituality has been at the center of my life for a few years now, and what a difference it has made! I meditate daily and try to make my life a prayer. I practice Reiki and other energy healing systems. I find that being immersed ina drawing or painting serves exactly the same purpose as meditation for me, and I emerge refreshed.

I actually started doing artwork when told by a shaman/astrologer that I needed a creative outlet for my internal energy, or it would end up making me sick (it had been making me sick for years, but she didn't know that). Imagine my surprise when I immediately started turning out pieces that people really liked!

I do struggle with creativity. I have a very, very hard tme deciding on a subject and working through the early stages of a painting. I haven't done any artwork since last spring, and I NEED to get back to it (any suggestions for getting myself back in gear would be enthusiastically welcomed). I am realizing that working through this creative block will be an act of spiritual growth for me, and will benefit me in many areas of my life. It's an important metaphor--one I hadn't recognized until I started writing this post!

Thanks all for this discussion.

night

P.S. any astrologers out there?

hummingbird
11-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi Night! Welcome! :clap: My only suggestions would be to keep watching this forum :) We're talking about things like you are asking about here with blocks --also look into The Artists Way thread. The fact that you have come back here is a sign you'll be doing more art soon. Those desires and energies are building and thats what prompted you to come back so don't worry! Things are going in a positive direction. As for deciding what to paint...what kinds of paintings are you attracted to most? Thats a big clue. Another way is to just start making marks and see where they lead. Let yourself have no rules for the time being. Let yourself even fail. Take it as one huge exciting experiment. And sooner or later you'll hit right on what you want to be doing with your art. Or maybe you could get in on a few art projects here --those all have a focus which helps narrow down the choice of subject a bit.

I used to study astrology years ago but don't really anymore. Reiki is very interesting. I think what the shaman astrologer told you about needing an outlet for your creative energies is true of all human beings. Creativity unused can turn destructive. I think if people could tap into their creativity in a way that energized them we wouldn't see so much violence in the world.

Good Luck!

Pat

Ron van den Boogaard
11-16-2002, 09:05 AM
A friend of mine who does a lot of landscapes once told me that he just smears paint on a canvas, then let's it sit and goes back to his photographs and then looks for the one where there is a connection or resemblance between the smears and the photograph. And he does make great work.

Ron

nightblooming
11-16-2002, 09:31 AM
<<The fact that you have come back here is a sign you'll be doing more art soon. Those desires and energies are building and thats what prompted you to come back so don't worry! Things are going in a positive direction. >>

Thanks, Pat. I hope you're right about this (and I think you are...). I went over to the Artist's Way discussions and found some helpful exercises. I am going to be snowed/iced in all weekend, so I am planning to drag out my pastels and do.....something!

night

nightblooming
11-16-2002, 09:34 AM
oops...I tried to include a quote in that last post, and it didn't happen. Now I see how to do it.....I'll get it right next time!

debi-d
11-16-2002, 01:23 PM
I read once you need to go inwards in order to grow outwardly and what you hold in will find a way to come out.
If you look at our society what people hold in eats away at them. Art helps me in that way to deal with issues.
Im a reiki practicioner as are others here, we found that out in one of our sunday chats. For those who dont know what reiki is its an energy healing system.
Some of my art has been done to use in meditation and in healing certain energy centers (chakras).
I have studied healing using color, red for the root chakra, orange for the sacral, green for the heart, blue for the throat, etc.

Im not sure what Im trying to say in my answer here, just that color can mean so many different things to so many different people. To understand the psycology of color may as well help us understand why we tend to use one color more than another. If you are depressed you may want to use more yellow in your home, instead of blue. Yellow will cheer you up. BUy yourself some real flowers from the market and treat yourself to a home spa day. Bubblebath and candles and chocolate

I think there is only one way to deal with a creative block and that is by imersing yourself in the action of art and just doing. Allow the creative spirit to lead you and show you the way

debi

nightblooming
11-16-2002, 02:02 PM
Some of my art has been done to use in meditation and in healing certain energy centers (chakras).
I have studied healing using color, red for the root chakra, orange for the sacral, green for the heart, blue for the throat, etc.

I've been interested in art in healing and meditation for a while. There is a lot of good material out there about color in healing. I've wanted to incorporate some of that information in my art, but I lack the technical ability at this point to create any images out of my own head without a reference. I shouldn't let that stop me, though. I need to just plow ahead. (My Virgo ascendant and 12th-house stellium in Virgo make it difficult to accept imperfection, LOL. Time to get over that one!)

I think there is only one way to deal with a creative block and that is by imersing yourself in the action of art and just doing. Allow the creative spirit to lead you and show you the way

Yes, you're right. I've been stopping myself from progressing in many ways, not just with art. It has really helped to be able to talk about this in an art context rather than a spiritual one. The metaphor has become clear.

Thank you so much.

night

debi-d
11-17-2002, 04:13 PM
"but I lack the technical ability at this point to create any images out of my own head without a reference."

My question is "What if there are none" no references available, then you'll just have to make it up.
As an artist dont you create most things without a reference?
Images are brought to life by your ablility to create, and as far as technical ability goes dont you learn something with each thing you do?
keep producing itll make your way clear,
unfortuantly there isnt a cure for being a perfect virgo that is something you will have to learn to live with. :)
debi

TeAnne
11-17-2002, 08:17 PM
I'm getting lots of help here :D

debi-d
11-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Im glad.

I have really enjoyed reading and rereading this thread. Knowing we are all Artists having an artistic experience. :) ok so its a play on words but a wonderful one dont you think.
I had a friend ask me why I did this? The art, the healing, I couldnt explain it away, its what I am. Its what takes my life outof the ordinary and makes it extr ordinary, and I couldnt imagine it any other way.

debi

Ron van den Boogaard
11-20-2002, 07:46 AM
Debi

Why do we do this? A possible explanation for what is worth is the following; no matter what you read on spirituality and life, etc, you will always come across the point of how important it is to live in the moment, to be in the now. Which is usually not always the easiest thing to achieve, but it is - and I think we will all recognize this - real easy to do when you are working on your art. When you loose every sense of time, when it's just you and the painting, just the next brushstroke.
I would imagine it is the same thing with healing. I cannot imagine that when you are doing that there is any room for any thoughts, any past or any future. It must just be you, the one you're working with and the moment.
In that sense we are very lucky to have something where we can actually be in that moment without any effort.

Very specific on being in the NOW are of course the books by Dan Millman and Eckhart Tolle.

Ron (http://home.wanadoo.nl/brainbox)

impressionist2
11-20-2002, 08:21 AM
Im a reiki practicioner as are others here, we found that out in one of our sunday chats. For those who dont know what reiki is its an energy healing system.
I have studied healing using color, red for the root chakra, orange for the sacral, green for the heart, blue for the throat, etc. -debi

Debi, I have studied all of these too. I respond very well to Reiki and can feel the healing energy as it passes through my body.

We are all energy, as is every living thing. I thanked the trees, a few weeks ago, that gave their lives
to make the benches for the pews in my church.

Ever have a kirilian photograph taken? Now, that's an experience! Talk about a "colorful life"! Kirilian photography shows the energy your body gives off in color.

Renee

debi-d
11-20-2002, 08:59 AM
I had 2 different people both recommend the power of now to me within an hour of each other. When that happens I always take the divine prompting and follow through.
I know exactly why they both recommened it to me, at the time had gone 6 months without creating any income. I was a mess, getting all worried doing a ton of "what ifs" on myself.
After I read eckert's book I had a revelation of what I was doing to myself. It took me back to the present so to speak and I try very hard to stay in the now.
Your right about art how when I am imersed in the "flow"there is no such thing as time. Just the present the here and now.
Impressionist 2-
I have yet to have a krilian photo taken, but Im sure it would be quite interesting.
Debi

debi-d
11-21-2002, 01:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2002/cloud3.jpg

debi-d
11-21-2002, 01:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2002/cloud2.jpg

Pilan
11-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by hummingbird
I think when artists speak of being in the flow its the same thing...? That creative stream where you like forget yourself and are just experiencing the process, totally lose track of time and are open and wind up going beyond what you can usually do?

Like athletes talk about sometimes when they are able to do what seems superhuman almost and they try to describe how they were just in this other place when it was happening.

Transcendance? Sort of. Kind of....

Words...ugh. This is why I'm not a writer.

Pat

this entire subject is great and i am having a bit of inner turmoil right now. reading each of your ideas and methods/beliefs are really very eye opening for me. I think the stream is what i miss here lately. I seem to get lost in my work if my brush is long and i can stand back or I put it on the floor and paint standing up and bending over. its like I am elevated in the air and my arm is just an extending of my mind and all there is is this paint going down on my paper.
but the meditation is really listening and that I feel is what I need more of.

Pilan

impressionist2
11-22-2002, 07:45 AM
Pilan, You wrote:the meditation is really listening and that I feel is what I need more of.

Pilan, I have said before it's possible to get with that feeling at other times, not just when painting. Any task that is repetitive and allows a "zoning out" is a good place to try to "connect".

The "Flow" is ever present. It is we, who enter and exit that flow.

Like a good shopping trip , when everything you try on is perfect, the "flow" is like the twilight zone, tough to get into, but an amazing experience when you make it.

The alpha state is accessed many times by just being aware that it exists.

Renee

PS: Your new paintings in Abstract forum are terrific!!

paintergirl
11-23-2002, 10:52 AM
I like to think of my self as a spritiual person. There have been many instances of "guidance" in my life, all leading me to where I am now. In creating there are times when I know I am in the "flow" the creative channel is strong and the paint just flies on the canvas, othertimes I force it my work is just not the same.

For yourselves I know we have an eclectic mix here and I would never slight anyones beliefs, but for those of you who are spritual and work with the divine, do you have a way of accessing it. Do you meditate or have an alternative way to tap the flow of the divine?
deb

A year as difficult as this one, it has to be a Saturn return ...lol

Interesting to see reiki mentioned as I had just recently been looking for a reiki practicioner in this area, no luck yet though ...

I have certain music that goes a long way to put me into a meditative state , it tends to be alot of soft instrumentals, I find even the singing of lyrics can be distracting when I want to really relax and release. I often putter to get the chores done and have the music going for some time to put me in the state where when I finally sit to paint, my mind will be clear...
I have done some of my best work though in this "zone" state as I affectionatley call it ...

artbyjim
12-19-2002, 09:05 PM
I think, constant meditation is the goal of any artist!
I conclude that from the words,"love thy lord thy god with all thy heart and all thy mind and all thy soul".

Koert
12-20-2002, 05:35 AM
i got my way to connect out of "mind control" by jose dasilva
and basically what you do is count back from 100 to 0, if you make a mistake, start over. In time, you can start counting back from 80..60... till as short as still works for you.

hellerious
12-20-2002, 08:23 AM
For myself, working on art has itself turned out to be a kind of wonderful meditation. And I choose not to question it, pick it apart or try to understand the "whys". It just is. And I am constantly amazed & grateful. I am primarily a writer & have now found a way to fold my words into works of collage & assemblage, & what is fascinating to me is the way my brain works differently for both things. For instance, for the writing part, there can be noise. Hey, I'm in New York City on the Upper West Side, do I have a choice? Sirens, garbage trucks, car alarms, "lively" street conversations, etc. I usually have to have a certainly clipboard, a certain type of pen, etc. (Of course, there are also nights when I tear out of bed at 3:00 and just start writing on the nearest scraps of paper, usually undecipherable by daybreak.) Last night I was out dancing practically all night and on the way home, was furiously scribbling on cocktail napkins, the words coming so fast I almost couldn't keep up with them. For doing collage, I must have complete quiet & somehow I do. I screen out the sounds I suppose, for they are still surely there. Yet looking back, I feel as if I had worked in total silence! I can work for days on end in this cone of silence, without speaking, eating, etc. Emerging from one of these sessions, I feel as if I have done the most miraculous meditating! I am cleansed, new, exhilarated, exhausted but not tired. I "worked" & "worked" for years, trying to attain this fierce kind of passionate focus & concentration. But it would not come. Like real, true, passionate love, I suppose, one can pave the way, be open & prepare & prepare, but it cannot be willed or forced, it arrives on its own schedule. One day a brilliant, beautiful man walks into your living room for the very first time & tell you he feels as if he has come "home", that you will grow old together. He brings you a walking stick perhaps, for those times when you will walk together as very old people, perhaps no taller then than fire hydrants. And you suddenly know every word he has spoken is the truth.

My father was a writer with extraordinary discipline. Every day of his life, come hell or high water, he locked himself in a room and wrote for the same four hours a day. I marvelled @ him constantly, never understanding how he could just START everyday like that, @ the same exact time, on schedule, @ will. These days, I question instead how he could STOP!!!

So much for this morning's caffeinated, discombobulated ramblings.

Hellerious

hellerious
12-20-2002, 08:28 AM
For myself, working on art has itself turned out to be a kind of wonderful meditation. And I choose not to question it, pick it apart or try to understand the "whys". It just is. And I am constantly amazed & grateful. I am primarily a writer & have now found a way to fold my words into works of collage & assemblage, & what is fascinating to me is the way my brain works differently for both things. For instance, for the writing part, there can be noise. Hey, I'm in New York City on the Upper West Side, do I have a choice? Sirens, garbage trucks, car alarms, "lively" street conversations, etc. I usually have to have a certainly clipboard, a certain type of pen, etc. (Of course, there are also nights when I tear out of bed at 3:00 and just start writing on the nearest scraps of paper, usually undecipherable by daybreak.) Last night I was out dancing practically all night and on the way home, was furiously scribbling on cocktail napkins, the words coming so fast I almost couldn't keep up with them. For doing collage, I must have complete quiet & somehow I do. I screen out the sounds I suppose, for they are still surely there. Yet looking back, I feel as if I had worked in total silence! I can work for days on end in this cone of silence, without speaking, eating, etc. Emerging from one of these sessions, I feel as if I have done the most miraculous meditating! I am cleansed, new, exhilarated, exhausted but not tired. I "worked" & "worked" for years, trying to attain this fierce kind of passionate focus & concentration. But it would not come. Like real, true, passionate love, I suppose, one can pave the way, be open & prepare & prepare, but it cannot be willed or forced, it arrives on its own schedule. One day a brilliant, beautiful man walks into your living room for the very first time & tell you he feels as if he has come "home", that you will grow old together. He brings you a walking stick perhaps, for those times when you will walk together as very old people, perhaps no taller then than fire hydrants. And you suddenly know every word he has spoken is the truth.

My father was a writer with extraordinary discipline. Every day of his life, come hell or high water, he locked himself in a room and wrote for the same four hours a day. I marvelled @ him constantly, never understanding how he could just START everyday like that, @ the same exact time, on schedule, @ will. These days, I question instead how he could STOP!!!

So much for this morning's caffeinated, discombobulated ramblings.

Hellerious

gleninca
01-12-2003, 07:29 PM
I've enjoyed reading all your posts in this thread, thanks for the sharing. I also think that we are at school on this earthly plain and take what we have learnt with us. I believe our art comes from the soul, which is why it is unique to us, sometimes spiritual connections enable us to tap in to another person or animal for guidance. I find art can be a meditative experience, and also, burn incense and listen to music while working. I like my own space as well, to be left alone without disturbance, even my beardies don't disturb me when I'm working, rather, will lay around my space in silent meditation as well.

debi-d
01-15-2003, 11:55 AM
welcome. I agree with you about earth being our school of life. I think that is why we attract the people into our lives that we do. And why sometimes we keep getting the same lesson over and over again. Thats why sometimes our teachers are our children, our pets and family, even the people we feel unwell towards.
Its nice in this school to have communities where we can go and feel connected to a tribe, like minded souls such as our selves.
Here we have people that are like minded in tarot and reiki, natural healing etc. Painter girl and I compared books one night and we have very much the same bookshelf. Now how cool is that... :D :rolleyes:
deb

miek37
01-15-2003, 08:16 PM
What a beautiful forum!!!!!! So helpful and supportive and giving!!!
To "get connected" to the "Font of inspiration" I have a candle in a votive glass on my drawing board, I have either Native American flute music or Celtic harp music playing on "repeat" on the CD player and, as I begin to work I close my eyes and sense a Presence with me. It has never failed me and I know It is there. Whether this is a muse, God, an angel, one of my loved ones who has died I don't know and really don't believe it is necessary to know. When I do this, my work goes much better, ideas come easier, problems have nifty solutions and I KNOW these come from this Presence. I produce miniature pictures in colored pencil that sit on little display stands. I have been blessed in the fact that a lovely lady here in town sells them for me in her beautiful shop in our historic town on the East coast of North Carolina. In fact, a few times, she has sensed the Presence with me when I go into her shop to make deliveries of commissioned work. May each of you find your own Presence to help you with you work, some of you already have. Thank you for letting me share my experience!!!:cat: Helen

LexJells
01-30-2003, 02:02 AM
Hi Debi Ė

Iím new to this forum, but Iím not new to either art or spirituality. Iíve been practicing serious meditation for over 30 years. My spiritual practice is Zen. But my spiritual practice is also painting. For me, my easel is my alter. But I also have power objects around my studio.

Each day before I even begin to think about painting, I ask my heart if I want to paint that day. If my heart says no, I donít feel like it, then I donít paint. In the past I probably would have painted anyway. But having done that enough times, Iíve learned that Iíll be finished at the end of the day not really satisfied with what Iíve done, and realized that I really didnít have my heart in it. Better, I have learned, to listen to what my heart is telling me about this. I have felt guilty that Iím not being productive enough, not working hard enough. But, Iíve found it better, anyway, to wait until the time is right. Only after that will I decide which painting I would like to paint on that day. And again, itís a what do I feel thing.

I usually sit in meditation for at least a little while before beginning. And for me, meditation is not a listening thing, it goes too deep for that. And, I also light a stick of incense. Then before beginning, I speak the following invocation (which I also posted in my intro in the newcomers folder)

<sum> Dear Gods and Goddesses,
<sum> Angels and Muses,
<sum> Of Art and of Painting.
<sum> Please bless this work today.
<sum> Please bless this studio,
<sum> Please bless these tools and materials,
<sum> Please bless these pieces,
<sum> Please bless this Artist and this activity,
<sum> And please bless this website.
<sum> Bless us with talent and ability,
<sum> Bless us with strength and courage,
<sum> Bless us with wisdom and knowledge.
<sum> And all the other wonderful things that you so generously give.
<sum> Thank you for all that you have given in the past,
<sum> And for all that you will give in the future.
<sum> It is very appreciated.

I also have a whole ritualistic thing about mixing the mediums and the paint, choosing the paint brush, etc, which reinforces my focus, deepens my involvement and adds to the whole feeling of the practice. This sometimes can take well over an hour itself.

After Iíve done all of that, I also have to stop and prepare myself before actually doing any painting (something also like meditation). By the time Iím ready to paint, my whole perspective on reality has shifted. I am aware of a greater reality that is beyond description. I see It, while at the same time I see the interior of the little studio I am in and the piece before me. I am aware of It while I am painting. It is through It that painting comes, or perhaps it is through me painting that It comes. I would not venture to say.

The end comes when It says itís done. Sometimes a little more is done after seeing the piece more. Sometimes the next day a little more is done, but usually not a heck of a lot more is needed. Iíve also learned the hard way to not overwork a piece. Itís been difficult to learn to accept all those areas that, at the time, I thought were wrong. Only to realize later (after leaving them because I had been told that it was done) that they make the whole piece so much more meaningful, rich, deeper in content.

Thanks for starting this thread,

Lex

debi-d
01-30-2003, 05:55 PM
and welcome, love your poem and I agree wholeheartedly, there are nights when I pick up the brush and every atom in my body screams not tonight, uhun not gonna do it. The result is something comparable with my grade 4 art. But when I get in the flow, supercharged with creativity, I can finish a good size piece in about 4-6 hrs.
deb

LarrySeiler
02-12-2003, 09:42 AM
I'll be the boring trite..."oh one of those" types I guess....

I'm an evangelical Christian....was a youth pastor three times. I've been the frontman in a Contemporary Christian band in those big hair 80's years, and have a band that plays yet, but only a couple times per year since my move to the NE northwoods of Wisconsin called, "Beggar's Joy" more blues, fusion, jazz, folk/rock kinda mix.

We don't wear Jesus on our shirt sleeves, and as creative individuals are astute to how the media has painted Christians. As a creative person, I am also aware how the church has imploded and neglected the world outside its four doors. Creative believers tend to be more the prophet in that sense, seeing more the need outside the church and trying to bring convictions that more ought to be done "out there!"

As an artist and musician...I am held at a distance and in suspicion...because we are seen more as radicals and potentially rebellious. Usually, we are very impatient with wrong doing and not able to look the other way...and are not comfortable letting things get swept under the carpet...and I'm speaking of that which goes on in the church.

I have since 1975 looked to God for inspiration, strength, direction, blessing, empowerment...you name it.

The arts as we all know...have their moments of great risk taking. To do one thing means perhaps a house payment or rent check might not be possible. Thus, there tends to be a lot of second guessing to the responsibility where your spouse and kids are concerned and if you should be making art or instead training to manage a fast food restaurant.

For myself...it was a process of coming to accept what God has put into me, what He is nurturing and bringing to fruition...but more fundamental than that trusting even when the clear way gets fuzzy or obscure.

Where many artist might experience marital friction at such ventures...my priority has been my family...believing of course that to trust God would bless my efforts were my art to take precedence over my family that it would be inconsistent thereafter to expect blessing and needs met. This has meant my wife and I being on the same playing field, and knowing that her confidence too is in me and my artistic directions. She has often been the lead in the heels of my shoes to keep me level headed and down to earth, because as artists we can imagine and attempt to reach for things way out of reach.

Keeping things in check, I know that my artistic endeavors is God's call or intention in my life. That everything I do...even in reaching out to help people here at WC...is to be done to the glory of God. That hasn't meant being obnoxious and pushy with an evangelical agenda...but just believing that God will be honored by how I conduct myself, how I value others and treat them.

All in all, when the pressure was tough, it meant a sense of freedom to move ahead.

One incident back in 1983 was when I went to New York for a week training in how to reach out and touch the hurt and need in prostitutes, the rejected and wounded people of gay persuastion, the drug addict and so on. About a dozen street ministers and pastors prayed over me...for I was in one of those critical frightening moments. Teaching art in a parochial school that was struggling financially just hearing I was going to be dropped to part time. A father whom was a police officer ...disliking his own work but placing sacrifice as a provider for the family above all other things constantly on the phone harrassing me to grow up, do the right thing, and just go and take a job working in a paper mill factory. All this while taking care of my wife, and two young sons.

I had been working on the Wisconsin's Wildlife Artist of the Year competiton painting against the best Wisconsin artists of the day...but had little confidence other than an associate pastor friend (also an award winning artist at the time) whom kept encouraging and prodding me along.

The street pastors prayed for me...and God revealed to a number of them that when I was to return home, that I would win the competition. Further, that within two weeks after winning God would open another door for me that would provide our family needs.

When I traveled back to Wisconsin...the turmoil and pressures were there waiting me...but I sense I had an obligation to test and see. Despite my father's harrassment and daily calling, I sat at the easel (bills on the table mounting) and finished that snowy owl and Hungarian partridge painting. I entered it, and indeed won. I was handed a $5,000 check for winning, and the entire event hosted and sponsored by the Wisconsin Sportsman's magazine was featured in their fall issue.

My father being a sportsfishing guide (aside from his police work), and Green Bay's first fishing club president suddenly had cause for much pride since his son had this sport's magazine coverage. His whole attitude about what it is I was doing as an artist changed, and instead he would boast of what it is I was doing.

Two weeks after I won Artist of the Year, I was contacted by a school district in the NW part of Wisconsin by the high school building principal and offered a position teaching visual arts if I was interested. A public school, fulltime, benefits....

Well...to bring this to an end, my near 28 years as a believer who is an artist and musician has had this kind of spiritual existence and walk. I move confidently forward with unshaken conviction because I believe I am loved by my Creator; that my art is a calling that He knew before the foundations of the earth. There are no churches here for one of my beliefs and zeal...being instead what I call mainline and dead. Ritualistic but lacking power and awareness of God. I've met only a half-dozen folks such as myself in this neck of the woods...as they say.

My painting experiences outdoors is a spiritual experience. I am being moved in my spirit aesthetically by the mysteries of beauty before me...in a way that is sorta like God sharing secrets, whispering His love. A wooing of His spirit to mine, and I responding in like kind by an act of celebration by the vehicle of painting.

I have been for the past 5 years, an arts missionary thru ACT, "Artists in Christian Testimony" based out of Nashville/Franklin, Tennessee and have discovered you don't have to travel to the deepest dark jungles of some distant land to know isolation as a missionary. I have experienced that right here in northern Wisconsin.

Well...I think in my time here at WC...which has been long, this has been the first opportunity to share this stuff. I haven't ventured much into this forum to be honest. Too busy I guess on the other forums, wanting to encourage others....

take care,

Larry

Winty
02-12-2003, 11:37 AM
I have often felt the tension between religion and spirituality. At 14, I quit attending the church my family frequented, for that reason. Religion often becomes a phoney act, or a control device, whereas, spirituality almost never does. Spirituality is based within, and religion without is what I feel. So unless one is capable of deceiving oneself, then spirituality has the greater integrity.
I have begun attending church once again, in the town to which I moved just a few years ago. I do this because the particular church I attend encourages support and concern for others. They have an outstanding youth program, which provides a beautiful balance of just for fun activities, and activities that are beneficial to others. The youth learn to contribute to society, and support others.
The church uses the talents of those skilled in music and dance as part of the Sunday program. They also use those who are just in a learning process. They have a wonderful programs for young mothers, to get them together to learn various arts and crafts, and parenting tips. Volunteers care for the young children.
No matter what problem someone in the community may be facing, there are people here, who are pitching in to help.
It is not perfect, but it is a much 'safer', emotionally speaking, environment for young people who are 'different' to grow and develop in, than most. And I believe that a good many artists grow up feeling out of place, in their homes and home communities.

That all being said, I am currently in a state of being artistically blocked. I have previously felt the paintings and drawing just flow through me, but now I feel like I should have chosen some particular direction with my art, have a purpose for it, but I don't seem to have one, other than piling up stuff that I was interested in, in my flat files. Although, I do feel that it is more that I have turned off the tap, myself, than that I have been spiritually abandoned. I just can't figure out why, and where I should go from here.

debi-d
02-13-2003, 07:25 PM
I dont think Ill ever think of you as the boring trite, from being here for nearly a year now and following alot of your posts and your teachings, Ive come to think of you as someone who does practice what you preach. I think you are a wonderful caring teacher who is unselfish and encouraging with your comments.
I have always felt you were of deep faith by your comments and concerns for your family and the members here.
When I read your post I got chills, I have had experiences with God where he manifested goodness in my life and all I had to do was stay the course and believe. I cant always say its been easy, being a driver type I wasnt comforatable relinqishing the reigns and allowing faith to work for me, yet he has always provided me with an income sometimes I was so poor I only had flour but that was part of my growth, learning to be creative and do with, when you only have flour you can still make bread.
This has been such a wonderful thread, thank you for sharing your journey.
namaste

debi-d
02-13-2003, 07:31 PM
so how are you? still blocked? and if so what are you doing to remove it? There must be a way for you to turn the tap back on. Perhaps its just starting, instead of doing it your usual way try something different, do you draw out your painting first? If so dont, grab some colors, a brush and a blank canvas and then go quiet inside and ask the divine, God your higher self however you refer to the ulitimate creator to guide your hand. Lexjells gave a wonderful prayer say that and then see what happens. Let it flow.
You know I need this as much for myself as you do as I have been the absent artist for a couple of weeks now, they say you teach what you most need to learn.
In the words of Niki ...........do it.
Deb

karin22
02-14-2003, 11:06 AM
I am really enjoying this thread of discussion! I am new here - have only posted once before. I am so excited that the range of art and sharing runs from technique to the spiritual.
For myself, I find that when I am most connected to the Divine with my creative process, I lose all track of time, hunger, fatigue, or pain - it all just disappears. for me getting to that point is similar to the "runners high"! I usually have to go through an awkward period of not really liking what I'm doing, but I remind myself that in this moment, my art is incomplete, so keep on trusting the process and allow it to unfold. I allow my materials to guide me (the physical), as well as my intuition (the spiritual). When I am connected to divine guidance in my process it is because i am practicing trust and faith, while letting go of preconceived ideas of outcome, and my ego - which will want something to be a certain way and responded to by others positively!! Does that make sense? It does help me if I start out from a centered and relaxed place, which often comes vi a short meditation and deep breathing. clearing my mind and opening my heart.
I also have worked with Adriana's book and I'm going to try to upload a photo of my altar I made, with her guidance. I held a workshop a few years ago and this was our project. The variety and beauty in all the women's altars was wonderful! Thanks to all and your sharing! karin

Winty
02-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Has anyone else ever experienced a period of avoidance? I seem to be steering clear of the drawing board, and materials mostly. I even find myself doing laundry and other boring stuff instead, and I am not really the domesticated type. What is that about?

On the lighter side, yesterday I did attempt a few quick sketches of jays in my trees, but they were awful.

debi-d
02-14-2003, 08:20 PM
yes I almost thought I was a master at it. Does it surprise you to know you are not alone? I have cleaned my house, cooked, baked, never ironed though. Have you identified what caused you to stop doing art. Was it something you heard or something someone said that started this?
Is it you are feeling your art doesnt matter?
Maybe you need to be inspired, what have you done for yourself lately. On sunday last week I went to our art gallery in London. I met a friend downtown and we went to the library togeather. Then I dropped him off and went to the gallery all by myself. It was wonderful, I spend time looking at original works of art, from the group of 7. The art gallery here has some of Lauren Harris, Tom Thompson and Emily Carr. Beautiful paintings.
Have you tried a different media, instead of your usual?
Or try a mixed media of paint, print and cloth, silica sand and gels. Just some ideas perhaps winter is getting to you, think spring........ here is a flower to bring some sunsine to your life.
deb
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2003/8982-PIC00013.JPGi

debi-d
02-14-2003, 08:32 PM
welcome and thanks for posting. I like your alter its very uniqe. Your workshop was it for a day?
I can relate to what you have written regarding the runners high, I power walk and find myself sometimes miles away from home and its not that I dont know how I got there, its just not being concious of going there. I have found that with my art as well, when I paint a high comes over me, there is no time, or space that bothers me, its just me, my pallette and my canvas. Sometimes I go so deep, that 4 or 5 hrs later it seems like only minutes have passed. Yet at the end I have a very unique painting. For a while it seemed where all of the creations were masks, and I started to analize them the masks were about issues I needed to deal with in my life. We have a tendency to wear different masks to avoid confrontation, or to play certain roles in society. One of my mask paintings was a warrior, I thought how did that apply to me, was I waiting to be rescued or would I be my rescuer? How convinent to sit on the side lines and wait for my knight is shinning armour to come in to my life and save me.lol we know how those endings work out. These paintings were like a catharsisis for me, a way to heal and give me back ownership of my life

Winty
02-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Wow, flowers! Nothing like flowers on Valentine's day. Except of course for chocolates. And I have had too many of those. Had to buy them for myself, though, so the emotional content isn't quite the same!:D

Maybe I just am telling myself that my art serves no purpose, so why bother? Except for self-gratification, and then one reverts to the old stuff of childhood, how frivolous it is, and how non-deserving one is.

Quite maudlin, I gets on St. Valentine's.

Maybe I should go paint some flowers and chocolates. :)

LarrySeiler
02-15-2003, 11:20 AM
sometimes novelty can unlock new energies for creating.

Last night...lying in bed, and awakening once again this morning with the idea...I decided I will knead up some clay, and roll out a tile about 3/4" in thickness that after shrinkages and firing will be 12" x 16" in size. A typical size of my plein air (on location) paintings of midwest northern scenics.

I thought it would be interesting working with loop tools, and applying various textures to re-create one of my landscape scenes or paintings. After firing...paint it with acrylics.

I have a feeling that might prove of interest in one gallery where my paintings sell quite well.

sometimes...the tactile feel of a different medium can trigger something in you aesthetically, and give you motivation.

Larry

Winty
02-15-2003, 01:01 PM
I really like the sound of that. Will you post it to let us see how it turns out?

squarepegs
02-15-2003, 01:35 PM
this discussion is soooooo helpful to me....as i have long struggled with "shouldas" and "wouldas" and "couldas"....

grew up in a home where religion was confused with spirituality...and a mother who used religion as a weapon against her children....she couldn't stand it that i had a mind of my own....of course as a child, i couldn't know that. i had no clue that my natural inclinations to "commune" through making things was a serious threat to her whole outlook on her own life...she died, more than a decade ago, still believing she'd sacrificed herself for her children (nine of us!)....but what she really gave us was her bitterness and her resentment, funneled through the filter of disappointment that she could not seem to find or follow her own muse. i am beginning to see that this was not entirely her fault, and THAT, believe me, is a major piece of progress for my own growth as an artist....as i am now in a similar position raising a grandchild that i hadn't planned on raising. the main difference for me is that i CHOOSE this path....and i share my enthusiasm for life and creativity with my little granddaughter (age 5 and FULL OF IT!!!)....she both inspires me and frustrates me, but life being about change, we will muddle through;)

i finally have a concept of what my spirit needs to survive, and how that is the critical piece of a puzzle i've spent the past 47 years putting together...i don't meditate in any formal sense, and i spent much of my adult life adrift without a connection to "God"...i've just recently read Books 1 & 2 of "Conversations With God", and i've found it fulfilling and freeing at the same time...i can now welcome that inner voice i've always felt....listen to it and let it influence me. mostly i find it's comforting that i can finally allow myself to feel spiritual, and it's been through creative avenues that i've most gained that feeling, so obviously it's the "right" path for me.

everyone has their own path to find...half the battle (or the fun, whichever way you look at it) is learning how to recognize it. after that everything is gravy, purty much;)

phew. yep, i'm ALWAYS a blabbermouth. and now i gotta get outta here for a while or i'll do nothing else all day but read and read and read and respond....lol;)

bonnie

Winty
02-15-2003, 01:47 PM
I have not read "Conversations With God", but I do relate to the bit about the "inner voice". And people using religion to manipulate! Whenever someone outside conflicts with it, one has to be tough enough to stand by that inner voice, and follow its direction. Otherwise, one can find oneself following directions that are all wrong for who one is. I think we are all born gifted with an inner blueprint for who we are supposed to be and what we are supposed to do. Unfortunately, there is a long chain of people who were themselves hijacked from their paths, and take it upon themselves to push others off track . . . even convincing themselves what they are doing is "for the best". In reality the best we can do is be the best we can be, and leave others to be who they were truly meant to be. And give a helping hand to those who need one to get back on track.

debi-d
02-15-2003, 01:55 PM
I noticed this on another thread last week how the person mentioned about the price one artist charged for his work and how we can charge what we do for our art. I thought about how we language ourselves, with I'm not worthy speech. When I was a kid growing up one of the neighbors was the most talented artist I have ever know. I remember my mom telling me how his mother wouldn't encourage him with his art as she believed he wouldn't be able to support himself with it. He became unable to produce and eventually his mind ended up working against him. I wondered if it was because he kept all that creativity bottled up inside.
Artist have to be careful not to listen to the world regarding the value of their lifes work . i.e. artist never become famous or valuable until after they are dead. You cant support yourself, I'm sure there are many more. One day my mom said to me "its ok for others to have money, I guess just not us" I had to give that back to her, I said I cannot accept that for myself, I have every intention of having money and being weathly. So I cannot own her ideas as they would affect my goals and growth. So many of us sensitives take what others say and make it our truths. I have heard parents say " you'll never amount to anything" etc. These are words we cannot own. The same comes true with our little inner voice, going on about our art, not good enough or pretty enough or talented enough. By going inward we can control that little voice and tame it, for we are good enough and when we go to God first how can anything be against us. This is our path to bring beauty to this world to create out of nothing images that would not have birth if it was not for us.
I found this quote in a book of fairies by Brian Froud and he writes " I believe in the artist as a shaman, journeying deep into uncharted inner worlds, then bringing back sensations and visions encountered in that mythic terrain. Winty you are that shaman who's art is as individual as you are, your block is just the sleep time of your conscious as it re groups and re centers and will spring forth with new images the world has never seen before.
debi

Winty
02-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks. Lots to think about. I forgot about the other inner voice(s). Maybe I am experiencing a conflict between the TWO inner voices. The Inner Voice that is God's, directing us on the correct path for us, and the inner voice(s) that are the cold leftovers of all the cruel and controlling things served up to us by all our self-appointed critics through life.

I guess it is a matter of blotting out the little inner voice(s) and listening to the Big One. :)

LarrySeiler
02-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Winty
I really like the sound of that. Will you post it to let us see how it turns out?

if I can remember....sure will. I'm planning on doing it as a WIP in the landscape forum. Someday...just for fun, I might try and take a slab tile outdoors and do a plein air in clay! hahahaha...

Larry

Winty
02-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Great idea, but hold out for summer. Of course, it gives deeper meaning to having your art freeze a moment in time. Unless you are in much warmer climes than I.

Meantime, as my own interior designer, I am redoing my studio in plein air. Toss around a few natural artifacts, and play a nature sounds tape, under full spectrum lighting.

I once had a drawing board I slabbed together for outdoors only. The top was waterproof because I made it from an old bit of kitchen counter, and I had a shelf underneath to stash art supplies. That way if I was outside, and had a sudden urge to sketch a bird, etc. I didn't have to dash for the house. But that was when I lived way out in the country and had bear, moose, fox, coyotes, etc. meandering through my yard.

christmascarolnz
02-22-2003, 03:36 AM
Hi there. I've been reading your interesting posts and hope you don't mind me sharing what spirituality and art mean for me.
I went on a 2 week conference for music ministry and came away with a bunch of spiritual gifts and the realisation that God wanted me with my son.. (whom I now homeschool), and not as a singing evangelist. That was 1997. In 2001 God gave me another spiritual gift - art. I couldn't paint or draw very well before then and I only ever dabbled. I began painting in pastels and now use oils as well. At present I am painting a series of muslem women whom I pray for as I paint. I was scoffed at by some, and I didn't see 'how' anyone would feel what I did for these ladies. That was until I took them along to a "BYO" worship service at our church and was told that they were 'powerful' images. I don't see it - I really don't! But if they move someone else, then that's fine.
Recently I painted a pastel for a competition. I kept thinking that I wouldn't probably win, but maybe get the people's choice award. Then I'd have to remind myself that I wasn't painting for myself but for God's glory and I had such a battle going on in my mind! I have a battle going on sometimes about whether folk would buy my art, but then I have to remind myself whom I am painting for...to give glory to God. It certainly removes a whole lot of stress when I take my eyes off myself and put them back on the One who gave me the gift in the first place! So that's a bit about what makes this gal tick and that it's spirituality which is the reason why I paint.
Thank you for the opportunity for us all to share in this way.
Regards,
Carol

LarrySeiler
02-22-2003, 09:29 AM
there you go...Carol, great to read your post. Remembering who you are, who has endowed you not only with giftings but with a call...and that ultimately it is for His glory indeed removes this stress to "be" somebody. Ironically, there are promises that having this priority right where God gets the glory...He then elevates His children and blesses them. A promise in Proverbs that our gifts will bring us before kings. I could elaborate a great deal on that one...but, once again I prepare in a couple months to be honored as a guest featured artist....

As a nature and outdoors scenic painter...I came across a verse once that is somewhat a confirmation on my own life calling. It is in Psalms 111: 3-4 and says, "Glorious and majestic are his deeds, and His righteousness endures forever. He has caused His wonders to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and compassionate."

Okay...why am I so stimulated when I drive by a scene. Why does my spirit well up within me that says I must quickly pull over and assemble my El Greco easel? Is it because of that potential BIG SALE from a good painting?

hahaha....well, occasionally I do sell...but even more exciting than the sale and potential to make ends meet is the knowing that someone else's spirit is blessed. Something in my work has touched something inside another to cause wonder, to feel a moment of past experience and the peace they felt; the joy.

So...what calls me to pull over and paint? "He has caused His wonders to be remembered......" ah...what a wonderment and joy that the Creator of this world has foreordained my coming and being for a time such as this. To be an answer for those that have an aesthetic need thus thru my work people might experience the Lord's grace and compassion..."the Lord is gracious and compassionate"

Also...the moment becomes one of an exchange. I get to become as Jesus instructed, as a child again. A childlike exploration of nature's hidden mysteries which resound in us a chord of beauty and awe. To engage in play, but "serious play"...and the very act of painting becomes a form of worship, of celebration. I am never so much alive fulfilling who I am as a creative person as that moment painting on location. Though the world seems to be falling apart, God has set apart for me a world where I press into Him and experience the joy of His own handiwork...His own Artistry.

I come away refreshed, renewed, empowered. Come away not having a sense of being alone in the world, at times lonely...but never alone.

and to think after all that...my work might yet still bless others. What an amazement. What a joy to be in God's will...!

But...what about those needs?

Last night after school...my wife calls and is crying. Somehow a mistake has been made and we have $500 less in our checking than we thought. In addition, earlier I had just ordered that day something I've been wanting that is just over $500.

What to do? Well...living in the world, in the flesh without a sense of God, His love, without access to His throne of grace....I'd be panicking! What does the world do in such situations? Well, they panic! Stress enters the lives of husband and wife, and tensions pull them in opposite sometimes unreconcilable directions.

We've been here before. I could go back now...too, and cancel what I have ordered. However...when I ordered it, I had a peace and assurance that it was okay. In the world, I'd immediately go back and cancel. As a Christian, I see myself pitted in a drama between heaven and satan's domain...and a test of wills is playing out. If I had assurance then God will see to it that somehow this mess will work out. So, my response? To shrug, smile...and wonder allowed, "okay God, don't know what You're going to do....but I thank You that You are there; You are my safety net, and while others laugh and mock my need for a crutch in life (thus my need for Your existence) I do not have to let satan and his plans for the world take away my peace, destroy and rob me of my joy. I will trust You and find instead a joy to watch how You will choose to do it!"

Jesus said he would never leave us, and empathizes with our human fraile condition. We messed up somehow...but, while the enemy of our souls would desire to bring destruction and ultimately death into our lives...we'll get over this. Somehow...someway a door will open. Always has for near 30 years now that we've walked with God. I won't be surprised if in a couple days a phone rings and a gallery tells us they have a sale or two. Or perhaps some other thing...but, the issue is in His hands and His answer/resolve is on the way.

Is that valuable to have as an artist? What???? Am I kidding!!!!
Yes...indeed. If creating works of art can't been birthed in peace, joy...and understood and realized as celebration...then it is doomed to be birthed in human frustration, anger and bitterness.

We are like farmers planting seeds...and what is birthed in us, and the type of soil that nurtures such within us comes eventually out of us. That seed eventually turns to fruit. Some is good fruit and will bless and benefit others...but from some, the fruit is of a bitter seed and spreads its vile infection; not lifting and encouraging but as the enemy intends spreads discourse, factions, social distruction and break down, and ultimately death.

Carry on Carol....!!!!! Sense your mission....embrace it, and as you go along for the ride learn to enjoy it and thank God for it!

peace,

Larry

llis
02-22-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by christmascarolnz
... At present I am painting a series of muslem women whom I pray for as I paint. ... Regards,
Carol

What a wonderful thing to do. :)

debi-d
02-22-2003, 12:11 PM
here is one I did sometime ago
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2003/8982-PIC00016.JPG
I think I call it
I choose my veil
Only had a quick minute but I will post more later.
and welcome debi

squarepegs
02-22-2003, 04:07 PM
very striking image indeed, carol....wow. wow! the eyes really grab me....as i think they must do to many who look at this....

bonnie

cobalt fingers
02-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Spirits are as spirits do. What God is or what spirits are varies greatly for each us. One work may move one viewer to tears and not even get noticed by another.

I think if we try to make meaningful work-we stand the best change to move folks.

christmascarolnz
02-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Hi Larry and Ilis and thank you for the encouragement.
Bonnie, Debi painted the eyes, not me....but it is interesting Debi that you have painted this with veil and eyes just as I have done also, and I named it "Beauty Beyond the Veil".
I found when I began painting people that I started looking at folk in the malls and their noses, eyes, lips, etc....just like when I became "born again" that I saw grass and trees and such through different eyes.
Cheers,
Carol

christmascarolnz
02-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Cobalt - I agree with you. People are in different places emotionally to one another and as you say, one painting may move one but not the other...
Music, dance, drama and art all speak to us in different ways with varying results. I know what we do is important and to make a difference to at least one person in our lifetime makes it all worthwhile. Isn't it great to be creative!
Cheers,
Carol

DLGardner
02-23-2003, 03:30 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing your hearts! Larry invited me over to this forum and I'm glad I came. Its so good to express who we are inside. Not only does it open up communication with others, but it also helps verbalize what we otherwise would not realize about ourselves.

A friend of mine who does a lot of landscapes once told me that he just smears paint on a canvas, then let's it sit and goes back to his photographs and then looks for the one where there is a connection or resemblance between the smears and the photograph. And he does make great work.

This is great Ron! Talk about individual style! I love it.

I want to express who I am spiritually and how it affects my art also. I know that my ability to make art is a gift. How do I know?..well, as many of you have mentioned also, sometimes I am completely inspired and it just flows out of me, and sometimes no matter how hard I try it just doesn't work. So there is an element of inspiration involved.

I personally believe, also that there is a Divine Creator, the one who made the universe, the stars, the earth, the rivers, the trees, mankind...the perfect order of things, the one that makes life come to Life. I also believe I was made in this Creator's image and therefore my desire;love; passion to "make again" or re-create (since you and I never really create, but rather re-arrange what has already been created) comes from this Source.

I believe that this "energy" has a name. It is spirit and because it is perfect and from the Divine Creator himself, is named the Holy Spirit. He inspires all things good and all things He inspires is good. Anything that is not good is destructive and is not made by or inspired by Him. I also believe that this Spirit is continually moving among us urging us to do good and drawing us to the Light, which is God.

I enjoy doing art when I am inspired because I am being moved by this wonderful Spirit. I sense love and being loved, I sense belonging, I sense having a purpose when I am moved by Him. I am in the flow of the River of Life. My artwork becomes a language which will speak to someone about God's love. It may only be one person, it may be more. I am truly satisfied because when I make a piece of artwork that is inspired I have fulfilled a will of God, and to His end.

I have recently discovered that even though I may not be so inspired I can still paint and study...so that when the day comes that there is a piece of artwork I am inspired to make, it will be done with more skill than before. I look forward to the day when I can easily paint anything I want to and have it come out looking as it ought to. I am really enjoying the process.

What is so interesting to me is that in the Old Testament of the Bible, the first men that were filled with the Holy Spirit were the artisans assigned to make the Temple. That is a high honor to hold. In God's eyes, artisans are very special people.

There, I've spoken my heart also.

Dianne

JenniferBernard.com
03-05-2003, 09:58 AM
this is such a great thread. I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing. reading other artist's thoughts about these things really helps me. I live in an area that there area't any other painters to discuss these things with.
for me, the inner voice is very important, but, i think we have sometimes a negative inner voice, and a positive one- I firmly believe that the positive one is our muse. it is for me, anyway.
but- lately, I have had a lot of self doubt about my work, it can be scary to follow your heart completely, which is what I am trying to do-or, do. but, I have sometimes been encouraged to be more mainstream, or commercial with my work, and I tried that, and it really messed with my inner voice. and left me on such shaky ground. now I am trying to listen to my muse- just my muse.
follow your hearts everyone- it's the only way.
Jen

impressionist2
03-06-2003, 07:35 AM
Larry, Your post on page 7 sums up my beliefs exactly. It was so good to read your post.

Renee

NewCreation
03-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Thank you Carol and Larry. I can't add much more to what you said. When I am really commited to having daily time with the Lord, and following his leading, things seem to flow. The energy and ability to live my life creatively comes from there. It shows in my artwork, and also in how I am caring for my family, and taking care of my home. Thank Him!

Crystal Owl
03-28-2003, 05:28 PM
HI Everyone,

I can't believe I've been missing these discussions!! I'm so glad I found you. :) Everyone here has been so sensitive and open regarding their feelings of what living in the spirit means to them. I'll share a little bit about myself here.

I've been walking my spiritual path since I was 14 years old I'll be 38 this year. I've always believed in a higher power , God , the creator, buddah whatever you want to call it. For me it's a matter of having faith and a knowingness that all will prevail. That every minute of my life is predestined according to how I choose to react to certain things at certain points of time.

I feel that there are many who fail to recognize opportunities that present themselves and fail to hear the voice of reason inside them when they ask for help that has already been given. Part of my job on this earth is to help others see the unseen. Trust their instincts and go with the flow of life.

I try to walk in a concious connection to everything around me on a daily basis. I also meditate nightly. This helps me to be who I am and to know and trust that everyone I meet and that every opportunity that presents itself is Gods way of showing me another aspect of myself. Whether I recognize it or not time will only tell :)

When I paint/create I find myself lost in time not concious of my surroundings it's just me and whatever I'm doing. I'm happiest when I can create and help others. Thanks so much for sharing yourselves and allowing me to share mine.

Irene

impressionist2
03-28-2003, 08:15 PM
It's wonderful to read these posts.

We have a group of ten that pray each evening. Some are in Tennessee and some in New York. Others in South Carolina.

We give each other prayer requests and all pray at exactly the same time, every night, for the same intentions. Ofcourse we include the greater concerns for the world, the troops, etc., as well.

It's a great discipline and helps us all cope with the daily stresses. It also brings an amazing sense of unity with God and a real peace of mind.

Renee

debi-d
04-02-2003, 11:50 AM
welcome,
what Id like to ask is anyone finding since the war started that their creative muse has gone missing? And what are you doing to inspire yourself
debi

Winty
04-02-2003, 12:34 PM
I try to limit my exposure to war reporting. Not that I avoid it altogether, because I believe in being informed, but I know that some people are obsessing over it, and letting it determine the flavor of their day. That is entirely too much negativity to me. I try to balance my daily news bulletin with more positive imput into my tiny mind. The birds are flocking back now, and I like to do checks to see who is visiting my little domain today. I keep soothing classical music or nature sounds as background. I find time to be thankful for the many wonderful things in my life. I pray for the women and children who suffer the full effects of war's violence. I check Wet Canvas frequently. I am beginning to plan my garden. My feeling is that we can't block it out entirely, nor be uncaring about those who are feeling its full effects, but we also can't stop living for its duration, nor being thankful for all the good things in life.

squarepegs
04-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Winty
My feeling is that we can't block it out entirely, nor be uncaring about those who are feeling its full effects, but we also can't stop living for its duration, nor being thankful for all the good things in life.

sounds like a good plan, Winty. i too try to keep the war news to a reasonable minimum in the house...with a five-year-old in the house, that's not so much of a challenge, there are ALWAYS kids' shows going on....if you want to escape, some of the Nickelodeon shows are a good way, LOL...okay, so i'm a big KID. my secret is out....seriously, though...you're right, obsessing over the possibilities is detrimental to my attitude, i know that....and there are still many many things that make life wonderful and beautiful and so worth living. i support what i believe, but it's only PART of the world...and i feel a responsibility to carry on and keep showing others what it's like to LIVE life instead of worry about it.

and that's my two cents' worth for the morning:)

peace, y'all.

bonnie

Winty
04-02-2003, 01:10 PM
There is always, of course, that niggling little feeling of guilt that is tough to deal with. The ' why should I be having a nice peaceful life, while children and women, on the other side of the world are suffering intensely?" Not that my life was always peaceful, and still isn't without its stresses, but I no longer have to fear the next violent attack. I always wish that manunkind would see his way clear to peaceful living. Violence only begets more violence, and you can never win permanent peace with it. As a whole, I believe that the world is moving toward it, albeit slowly. It is as much a mindset, as a condition of circumstances. The circumstances tend to follow the beliefs. We have achieved tremendous freedoms as individuals in some parts of the world, that are denied to others, but I think that it will eventually spread. Women and children will be set free.
As to creativity, some of us need tranquility to be productive, others can present us with masterpieces, under conditions of intense suffering.

LarrySeiler
04-02-2003, 07:34 PM
welcome,
what Id like to ask is anyone finding since the war started that their creative muse has gone missing? And what are you doing to inspire yourself
debi

good question debi...

I have a particular philosophy about that...it was prewar, based on generations of wars and those that have made the ultimate sacrifice.

I have visited many cemetaries over my lifetime, in fact...cemetaries are one of my favorite places to walk around and think. I like all kinds...but especially those with ages old headstones.

I love history...and am familiar with names, what might have brought them to the United States...a likely reason they chose a particular geographical location based on familiarity back home (in Europe, etc)

I think of how most people go thru life escaping creative things, refusing to allow their minds to think about deeper things; many inebriating themselves at a bar stool....and that at the particular moment I am walking about...they could be imprisoned in another world...or that their longing is to wish they could enjoy this precious thing called life now that their eyes are opened and the reality of the grave and potential looming judgment awaits.

It speaks volumes to me, and is like a balm; I sense wisdom and in a way, "marching orders" to embrace life more zealously. To live fully without regrets...never to look back.

Having served in the Navy during the end of the Vietnam war era and knowing many that did not get the opportunity to live on here back home...I feel obliged to show my appreciation for their supreme sacrifice. Sorta like I am living now not only for myself, but for those that cannot. A great debt of gratitude, and as a result I am spurred on to make the most of every moment.

My life has been like that for roughly 25-30 years....and sometimes drives my wife nuts because I am rarely inactive. Don't like just sitting on a couch to mindlessly watch television, etc;

today...just very well might be my last day on earth. How shall I live my remaining possible few moments? Will my efforts be grand? Shall they reflect my appreciation for life, and for those that could only wish to now be living and in my shoes? Could others do better with the potential I have...?

So to answer your question debi, the war does not affect my creativity negatively but only hastens and intensifies it.

To answer the other question I often get, about if it doesn't feel creepy...I look at it like visiting the ole high school auditorium where I graduated. Oh how I longed for that day, and life went on. Death, is graduation day....

Larry

impressionist2
04-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by LarrySeiler

So to answer your question debi, the war does not affect my creativity negatively but only hastens and intensifies it.

Larry

This is what has happened as well, to me. I believe my daily prayer sessions, which are much more in depth, with prayers for the soldiers, our world, and everything in my family, is energizing me, as the spiritual cord between myself and God gets tightened, and strengthened.

Prayer is a natural connection with the creator, an umbilical cord, and the life force and energy which emanate from God, flows through the pray-er as well. That flow is an energy of trust and assurance that God has His hand on us all. That in the end, good will triumph.

There is no need to be depressed, when as Larry says, Death is only graduation day. :D

Renee

DLGardner
04-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Prayer is a natural connection with the creator, an umbilical cord, and the life force and energy which emanate from God, flows through the pray-er as well. That flow is an energy of trust and assurance that God has His hand on us all. That in the end, good will triumph.

Very well spoken, Renee. I couldn't have expressed this better myself.

I don't own a t.v. so I don't spend all day in front of it watching the war events. In fact, I think I would feel strange if I did. I am interested in what happens of course, but well, I just wouldn't want to get into the spectator mode. It doesn't seem right to me. People are suffering and they do need our prayers.

I haven't been painting much since I returned from Tucson but that's because my daughter, her husband and their 2 year old moved back in with us and I need solitude to paint. I've also been very busy with putting up a show in a gallery for our art league. I also am arranging a workshop for Ruth Cox to come and instruct us this summer so these sort of things are keeping me from actually painting, not the war.

In fact, if the dynamics of my home were as they were before my trip I would be prolific. Passion leads me to paint. I paint my love for my subject, and this world needs more of that love...so much more. I wonder too why I am so protected but I also know at any given moment with the hand of God that could change and so I am thankful for the beauty around me at this moment. If I don't express my love and thankfulness, who will?

Our soldiers are fighting for something and we posses that very thing that they are fighting for. So its up to us to be keepers of it, keepers of peace, keepers of good will, keepers of love, keepers of the way of life so many need and want. Its a time to get along even better than we ever had with our family, friends, and personal enemies. A time of forgiveness and thankfulness and humbleness. And yes, a time of prayer.

God bless each of you.
Dianne

LarrySeiler
04-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by d_garden

I haven't been painting much since I returned from Tucson but that's because my daughter, her husband and their 2 year old moved back in with us and I need solitude to paint. Dianne

AAAaaaahhhh....looks like the best excuse if any, to embrace even more the benefits of plein air work!!

No doubt the current arrangement creates an interesting turn of events for you Dianne. Neat though, that grandma has ready access to her granddaughter! Kinda hard at the end of the day to give the child back to your daughter though when she is cranky, and say..."here, she's yours!" when its yet in your home!

Our son and daughter-in-law find out today if they are having a boy or girl...and possibly, twins! hahahaha.....glory! :D

Larry

DLGardner
04-03-2003, 11:08 AM
AAAaaaahhhh....looks like the best excuse if any, to embrace even more the benefits of plein air work!!

Yes I agree. As soon as the business stuff is done I'll be out. Still trying to wrap up those golf course paintings but I will be plein airing in the next week or two. The plans are in the making.

No doubt the current arrangement creates an interesting turn of events for you Dianne. Neat though, that grandma has ready access to her granddaughter! Kinda hard at the end of the day to give the child back to your daughter though when she is cranky, and say..."here, she's yours!" when its yet in your home

My daughter and her husband and little boy will only be here for a month or so until they get their loan and get into their own house, so its very temporary. They just had to get out of where they were. I love my little grandson to pieces and we share some special moments but at my age and independence, I have no problem giving him back to mom! You've heard it said "If I knew grandchildren were so much fun I would have had them first!"

Our son and daughter-in-law find out today if they are having a boy or girl...and possibly, twins! hahahaha.....glory!

Congrats! Twins eh? Well do let us know grandpa!

Dianne

impressionist2
04-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by d_garden

Our soldiers are fighting for something and we posses that very thing that they are fighting for. So its up to us to be keepers of it, keepers of peace, keepers of good will, keepers of love, keepers of the way of life so many need and want. Its a time to get along even better than we ever had with our family, friends, and personal enemies. A time of forgiveness and thankfulness and humbleness. And yes, a time of prayer.

God bless each of you.
Dianne

Dianne, Wow! Words to live by. Even more important now that tempers and differing views are running high. This is a challenge everyday, and if everyone could live like this, what a great world it would be.

Printing this out and pinning it up on the wall.

We all need this one.

Larry........................................you are just going to LOVE being a grandparent!! It's the absolute best! We have two grandkiddies now. This little guys new brother is five weeks old!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/4924-adorablebubs3.jpg

See, and you can dress them up on Halloweens!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/4924-Haloween02Bubs.jpg

LarrySeiler
04-03-2003, 04:29 PM
moved around too much for them to be able to determine boy or girl...so my son and daughter-in-law will try again in a couple weeks, but...we got an early picture! hahahha.......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/532-baby4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/532-fireworksgif.gif

Larry

DLGardner
04-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Renee, what a doll! He is so cute.

I'd love to post all 12 of my grandchildren here...and my youngest is having another so its soon to be 13. We're taking over this place.

Larry, that's one ultra sound photo that I can actually distinguish the form. How darling.

Dianne

LarrySeiler
04-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Renee....my wife bent over my shoulder and my ear was filled with the maternal ooooo's and ahhhhh's of your pictures, "how cute...!!!!"

Yeah, the baby's going to be a ham, you can see it already. Head turned toward the camera. Can make out the cheeks, face..

kid already thinks him/herself to be cute! Ssheesh...! Look out!

;)

Larry

impressionist2
04-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by LarrySeiler
Renee....my wife bent over my shoulder and my ear was filled with the maternal ooooo's and ahhhhh's of your pictures, "how cute...!!!!"

Yeah, the baby's going to be a ham, you can see it already. Head turned toward the camera. Can make out the cheeks, face..

kid already thinks him/herself to be cute! Ssheesh...! Look out!

;)

Larry

Larry, Tell her thanks so much. We think so too!

Now, this has to be a WC First, right? An ultra sound photo!! LOL!:D :D

My son actually told me he could see from the ultra sound that their second son looked exactly like the first one. Parents!! Hahaha.

Renee

debi-d
04-05-2003, 04:12 PM
congradulations, how wonderful a child is. These ultra sound photos are so amazing. (looks like a boy to me too) :)
looks like he is waving to the family.
Impressionist2 your grandbabies are beautiful too
debi

TALIANA
04-05-2003, 05:33 PM

deb
May irefer you to the opening page of my Homepage The replie to this question is given there as my opening statement. I also am spiritual person and art is very healing and spiritual in nature for me as you will read on my page

Claude

prairie painter
04-09-2003, 04:10 PM
I was reading through these posts and had only gotten through a bit when I noticed there are 9 (!) pages- I look forward to reading all of them!
I could no more exclude God from my artwork than exclude my skin. His presence is something very vivid in my life- I hear people who have been through trauma often find this to be so, and I've dealt with that since prebirth when the doctors thought I had died en-utero. Obviously I didn't but I do have several bizarre birth defects. Anyway, I really think all this left me more aware of the "something more" realm. But, I don't paint things that specifically make statements regarding my spiritual side. I paint things that make me feel happy, that make me smile unconsciously. I guess someone could analyze my work and say where I am spiritually, but it's really just a reflection of what makes my spirit sing. Little birds, wild bunnies, my kitten, my children, my husband- someday, Lord willing, I'll have the skills to paint them all the way they make me feel.
:cat:
Larry- I didn't see your grandbaby post until after I'd posted- what a fantastic picture! Don't you love living in an age where we can see our babies so early! Looks like s/he is waving for sure!

impressionist2
04-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks Debi and Dianne. I had the five week old here today. Boy, their little heads smell So good! Very kissable.:D

Prairie, Welcome. This is a nice place to visit. Kick off your shoes, sit back and enjoy your reading.

Renee

TALIANA
04-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Interesting

impressionist2
04-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Claude, Your homepage is great!! Beautiful artwork and a wonderful read.

Renee

debi-d
04-10-2003, 10:04 AM
I agree with Impressionist2, Claude you have done a nice job on your website and I just love you last typtich you painted. Where abouts in Canada are you?
I read through your thoughts on your site and agree very much with what you write. I think and give thanks daily for everything I have gone through in my life that has brought me to this point. As I grow spiritually and experince divinity in my day I had to learn to surrender and release which for me has been a definite trust issue. Having gone through the "dark night of the soul" and literally blaming God for my woes and blocking my path, but I understand its my choice that I was blocking myself, trying to do things that didnt suit me spiritually in effect was like trying to paddle up stream against raging currents. Once I surrendered and allowed my path to open I was lead back to my creative center. ANd for that I am most grateful