PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your frame glass

silverpanda
06-02-2001, 10:52 PM
While at Aaron Brothers today i asked the salesperson how come all the frames i was interested in all had glass.I wanted ones without glass he said just take it out,well i almost fellover with embarrestment.I said since it isn't against a mat won't placing it against the frame harm the painting (done in acrylic)ie.stick to the frame he said nope.thats how everybody does it.My question is what do you do with all your glass.Do you just throw it away,stockpile it away for future use?.

Keith Russell
06-03-2001, 05:00 PM
Greetings:

All my acrylic paintings are framed with at least a double, if not a triple, mat--

--behind glass.

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
[email protected]
artkc.com/russelk.htm

silverpanda
06-03-2001, 09:32 PM
So i guess it's just a matter of personel preference whether to frame under glass or not.I've nevered framed my paintings before but since i've started painting on the various uncradled Ampersand boards i figured i should it sure makes a difference in the appearance of the work. This whole framing issue sure can be confusing,on the one side you have people saying do not frame acrylic or oil under glass and then you have those that say it doesn't really matter,and then if you look at paintings in galleries/museums most of those are not under glass.whats a person to do.

silverpanda
06-04-2001, 05:38 PM
VictoriaS: Thanks i clicked on the link you provided and filled out the form for a catalog.

VictoriaS
06-05-2001, 12:55 AM
Silverpanda: There are online frame shops, like www.pictureframes.com (http://www.pictureframes.com) , for example, where you order the frame, and only add plexiglass and mats if you want them.

Victoria

zjanette
06-22-2001, 02:33 PM
The extra glass can go into a glass recycling bin.

mame
06-22-2001, 03:19 PM
Traditional/museum - stretched oils/acrylics framed without glass
- many museums now requesting acrylic

Acrylic on paper - if floated on mat or matted usually w/glass

Acrylic on paper
mounted on wood or
illustration board - can be but not neccessary for archival

Prints/other mediums
on paper - matted or floated yes w/glass

Did I forget anything?

Use glass for pallette

cuttlefish
06-22-2001, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mame

Did I forget anything?

airbrushed acrylics - unless properly varnished (and those intended for reproduction usually arent) these have a delicate, porous surface and probably should be covered with glass, especially if they are mounted inside an exterior wall. Static attracts microscopic dust and smoke particles to these walls, especially if there is an ionizing air purifier running. These will deeply stain acrylics (especially airbrushed) and are impossible to clean out without damaging the painting, as one of my instructors found out the hard way.:crying:

sorry for being so verbose
c

mame
06-24-2001, 07:59 AM
Cuttlefish - txs for the info. Even an old broad can learn new stuff!

jwaskey
07-09-2001, 12:23 AM
One more point about framing acrylics under glass-- make sure they're thoroughly dry-- some manufacturers suggest up to 3 weeks as the final dry time.

jason