PDA

View Full Version : Old Mill street sign

Strawberry Wine
10-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

I did this painting last year to place at the end of the driveway.

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Gail

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2002/010114-028.jpg

Arletta
10-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Beautiful work!!! I admire your perspective as well. :clap:

Arletta

sassybird
10-09-2002, 11:58 AM
What a great idea :) What did you do to protect it against the weather?

Strawberry Wine
10-09-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi Charisa:

I just put on about 4 coats ( front and back) of outdoor clear acrylic varnish and it has not suffered from the elements so far.l

Gail

arlene
10-14-2002, 02:31 AM
very nice!

CynthiaKelly
10-14-2002, 04:05 AM
I value a constructive critique so I usually give the same - but i can find nothing at all to criticize about your sign. It's quite lovely - charming without being cutesy. The perspective leads you right up the path, and you painted with clarity so that it can be "read" clearly from far away. Very nice. A lovely welcome to your home.

Cynthia Kelly

Bjmone
08-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Beautiful art!

I'm sorry to say this (I can't help it because I work as an editor) -- the apostrophe is incorrect.

I know it's stupid and 99 percent of the world wouldn't notice, but I had to say something as my husband says I am the grammar police (I get everyone).

Sorry.

Jakeally
08-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi Gail ..... I think you did a wonderful job. Your painting is just beautiful :clap: :clap:

FauxFillingDreams
08-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey, I'm curious about the grammar comment. What is the rule for that? I did the same thing with our last name on a sign outside my own house. (Oops!) I thought it was possessive, like "The Young's Place", place being implied. I guess it could be, "The Youngs Live Here", which wouldn't need an apostrophe. Hmmm...

Thinking about it again, I guess that would be, "The Youngs' Place", wouldn't it? Ugh, I hate grammar!

Olan
08-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Ugh, I hate grammar!

Don't we all? :confused: :D

Strawberry Wine
08-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks all

Just waiting for BJ to get back to us with the grammer lesson.

Cheers,

Gail

Bjmone
08-22-2004, 12:07 PM
You guys are going to hate me by the time I get done :crying: (it's grammar, not grammer).

For the way it is written on the sign shown in this post, it would be "The Youngs" with no apostrophe.

If the sign had included the word "place," then it would be "The Youngs' Place" because there is more than one member of the Young family (if there wasn't more than one member of the family, they wouldn't be the Youngs to begin with). It would be apostrophe-"s" if it was "Jim Young's Place."

Thank God it was the Youngs and not the Joneses!!! (Sorry -- couldn't help myself!) :cat:

Strawberry Wine
08-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks JAO for the "grammar" :) lesson. Next time I am painting a house sign you can expect a PM from me before I lay down the paint.

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to point this out and explain. I am sure it will be helpful to others as well.

Cheers,

Gail

Bjmone
08-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Cool!

:cat: