View Full Version : "What Is Not Yours..."

che18530
10-06-2002, 08:02 PM
Sunday, October 06, 2002

What Is Not Yours...

What is not yours
You can not own,
Hold not your hand so tightly,
But open, to be held in the air and the wind.

What is not yours
You can not harm,
Worry will not add to it's days,
For in it's freedom hope will remain.

What is not yours
You can not lessen,
Demanding what it cannot give,
For integrity penetrates the unseen soul,
And will not be denied!

What is not yours
You can not reason,
Fragile thoughts fail to intimately know
What can only be known through
the eyes of Faith alone!

Copyright (c) 2002 By Cheryl A. Lavender

The image was accomplished through
PSP7 and Corel. All of the Native
American images are tubes from
Winter's Tubes which you can find at
www.winterstubes.com/index.html/.
The Rose, Frame, grass, mountains, trees
were all done through PSP7 with the final
touches accomplished in Corel...Cheryl ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2002/What_Is_Not_Yours1b....jpg

Ceu
10-06-2002, 08:52 PM
wonderful image
and the poem is just beyond words.
thanks

jsr88
10-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Cheryl...this is a very POWERFUL piece. When coupled with the image the poetry defies a person to ignor it.

:clap: ~ Bravo! ~ :clap:

che18530
10-07-2002, 12:42 AM
One of my real passions in Native American art. I love their history, hate what was done to them and love to sketch or do digital images like this one. I have a very good friend who helps me with some of the history, so hopefully I am not too far off. Thank you for your very gracious comments. You are more than generous!

Cheryl:)

TeAnne
10-07-2002, 06:55 AM
Nice work :):clap:

crazy_cat
10-07-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by che18530
One of my real passions in Native American art. I love their history, hate what was done to them and love to sketch or do digital images like this one.

Cheryl:) Very powerful piece! I understand your passion for Native Americans. My Grandfather did so much research on them and took me to many functions, I guess you call them that, to learn their culture, etc. He said it was an important part of our heratige (sp?) and I should know and respect their life, as I do! Wonderful poem and art Cheryl!

che18530
10-07-2002, 09:33 AM
I think that's great that your grandfather did that for you. So many people in this country are not even aware of the travesty of injustice that was perpetrated against the Native Americans when our ancestors came over and just claimed this country as their own, not recognizing the Native American peoples. So much has happened, it has become one of those things that can never really be made up for, but hopefully forgiven.

Thank you all for your comments!

plumpfairy
10-10-2002, 10:54 AM
:D You got heart Cheryl! Nice work!
jana:D :clap: ;)

che18530
10-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Thank you Jana. That really means allot to an artist as you well know. I believe that is what makes the image, portrait , sketch, etc...come alive.