PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Carrying Case

KarenU
10-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Just had to share with everyone a great buy that I got on eBay. This fellow has 31 of these pastel carriers left for anyone that is interested. The gentleman is a wood worker and hand makes these pastel carriers. He lives about 15 minutes south of me and so he personally dropped off the carrier that I bought and showed me all the features.

The box measures 22" wide by 16.5" tall. It weighs just under 5 pounds empty. I've tried to include pictures of all the features. The box is absolutely beautiful...dovetailed joints, heavy duty hinges, comfortable carrying handle, inlaid wood. This is a double sided box that holds up to 475 pastels (I haven't tried loading mine up yet so I'm not sure on the count). The interior is secured with a lid for each side (that can double as a drawing board). You cannot close the carrier if the interior lids are not properly installed and fastened (one of the safety features). Each side contains 12 compartments that measure 7.5" long by 3.25" wide. Each compartment is lined with a soft rubber cushioning material.

The best thing about this beautiful box is the price....are ya ready....I got it for $99.00!!!! The eBay user ID is karlabravo. I just checked and they haven't relisted the auction yet, but the gentleman told me that they would be relisting. He also said that he was no longer going to make these larger boxes, but he was planning on starting a line of smaller (half size) boxes.

In any event, just wanted to say that I am in no way affiliated with these people, just came across a great auction on eBay for a really nice product at a pretty affordable price and wanted to pass along the info.

I guess I don't have any excuses now for not getting out to do some plein aire!! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2002/PastelCarrier.jpg

TeAnne
10-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Thats awesome Karen. I wish I had a handy hubby. I prolly could get my son to knock one up for me, he was good at woodwork. Thanks for sharing this Karen.

maverick
10-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Congrats! That's a huge case. Very nice. Hmmmm. *I'M* a woodworker...

jackiesimmonds
10-07-2002, 03:20 AM
Very nice case, Karen, thanks so much for sharing the information. Such generous people here on Ebay!!

I'd like to know ... can you get your Schminke or Unison pastels in there and shut the lids? It is hard to tell how deep it is. I have bought boxes in the past which had compartments not wide enough for my fatter pastels.

Jackie

KarenU
10-07-2002, 12:01 PM
Jackie...loaded up the carrier last night to try it out. I put in everything except the Unisons. I have some Mount Vision pastels (hand made in New York) that are very similar in size to the Unisons, could even be just slightly larger, and these just fit. The lids that you secure in place over each side were difficult to install but I did eventually get them in place. I'll have to say though, all loaded with pastels, I wouldn't want to hike anywhere carrying that thing!! :D

sandge
10-07-2002, 05:03 PM
How fed up am I by ebay sellers who won't ship outside the US?! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks anyway for the information Karen. Looks like a beautiful box.

maverick
10-07-2002, 09:16 PM
I don't understand why some sellers won't ship outside the US either. I'm in Canada, and I've shipped things all over the world. It's no more difficult than shipping within Canada. It has to be a very similar procedure in the US. You might have to put a customs sticker on the package, but it doesn't have much room to write on it, so it doesn't take long to fill out. The only other thing is postage, and the buyer pays for that, so I just don't get it. I used to send packages to London (UK that is...there is one in Canada too), and that was faster than many destinations in Canada and the US (one day airmail sometimes!) It is so easy! They are just limiting their market for no good reason.

Sorry, it's a sore point for me. That, and online sign up forms that won't let you enter anything but US states for you mailing address.

Slowdown
10-07-2002, 10:24 PM
Great buy!!!!!
Wish I could get my hands on one of those. Guess I will have to stick my trusty plastic carry box:crying:

KarenU
10-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Yeah I agree maverick...don't know what the big deal is with international shipping...especially, like you said, since the shipping cost is paid by the buyer. The forms are not any more difficult to fill out than any form you fill out for US shipping. On my auctions I'll quote shipping for within the US and just make a note to international buyers to contact me for shipping costs.

jackiesimmonds
10-08-2002, 03:50 AM
This is for Sandra ...and any other UK pastellists who want a similar wooden box. Try Mr T Kirby, Suffolk (I have the address ifyou need it) 0440 704445.

There was also another guy who used to advertise in The Artist mag. You coud check with them, they may have it cross-referenced and can put their hands on it easily.

Jackie

Epic Dewfall
10-09-2002, 01:38 PM
I use a furnace filter. Half of the furnace filters we can buy have a sine wave like ripple to them. My pastels fit nicely and cleanly within the cottony soft grooves. They come in lots of sizes from small to very large. The one I bought is 20 by 20 inches. I had to make my own pizza like box to fit it in. I cut up a large corrugated cardboard box and folded up four sides to hold the furnace filter perfectly. I then folded a second piece of corrugated cardboard to add as a snug cover. If you lift out the furnace filter after a year you'll see all the pastel dust has passed through the furnace filter and has collected on the bottom of the pizza box.

maverick
10-09-2002, 02:27 PM
Welcome Epic. Interesting idea. I suppose the filter acts to clean the pastels as well as providing the grooves for storage. I will definitely look into this.

Birdie
10-09-2002, 11:19 PM
You will never guess what I have started using for my pastel storage......a large flat plastic fishing tackel box from Wal-mart(3.99) it works great it has 24 square slots that can hold quite a few pastels..and I cut foam to fit in the slots to protect the pastels...I would never have thought to use that until Jackie showed a picture of her pastel set-up..I was keeping mine in the boxes they came. I wasn't sure how to organize them until I saw her post.....I really like keeping the colors together....I can post a picture for anyone who want to see it. It esay on the pocket book and it can be taken on location to paint also, it cool...

I really would rather have one like yours but money is always a factor me as I still have 3 kids at home....if you know what I mean...Someday but for now I am thrilled with my find.....

birdie:rolleyes:

KarenU
10-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Absolutely...please post a pic Birdie!! :D

Birdie
10-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Here is the $3.99 pastel box...

Birdie:rolleyes:

Birdie
10-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Sorry I don't know how to put two file on one post......

bnoonan
10-10-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi Birdie,

Thanks for posting the bargain box. Does it keep them pretty clean?

Where do you buy the foam?

I really like the idea of carrying something lighter than a heavy wooden box.

Since the pastels are stacked up inside each square section, do you find it difficult to locate colors that may have sunk to the bottom?

Barb (formerly from Seattle - perhaps we met sometime)

Birdie
10-10-2002, 04:08 PM
I try to keep my pastels clean as I use them...but I am noticing that the dust is collecting in the bottom so I am need to put a thin layer of foam or filter in the bottom..I get the foam at a fabric store.
I don't have a lot of pastels yet so I haven't had trouble finding the shade I need..but as cheap as the containers are I don't have to pack them full, I will end up with a box of green and blues..etc...they also make small boxes that I thought to use also..
I am unknown artist so I dought we have meet.....but if you ever come up again I would love to have a visit..

bnoonan
10-10-2002, 05:43 PM
I do have a lot of pastels but I may just have to give it a go for travelling purposes.

My trips to Seattle end up being fast and furious visiting relatives and friends but if there is ever time, I'll be in touch.

Cheers!