PDA

View Full Version : Pastels on chalkboard paint?

maverick
10-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Has anyone ever tried pastels on chalkboard paint? Should I just stick to the traditional surface preparations out there? Basically, I want to try pastels on masonite, but I want the surface to be black or very dark.

KarenU
10-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Why don't you try the Art Spectrum ground for pastels...they sell it in black. Here is a link to it on the Dakota Pastels site...but I'm sure you could find it at many other online art sources.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/pigsfix_artspectrum.shtml

Redsy333
10-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Wish I could help ya out on that one Mav:( but I dont know for sure! I know......>>>>>> You try one an EXPERMINTAL one and let me know :D:D ?? Or we can both just wait for someone who really has a worthwhile comment to answer ya. LOL

Redsy333
10-05-2002, 06:52 PM
LOL I read that and wanted to add that I was referring to my babble! Nothing against Karen:)
*shwoooo* had to clarify that didnt want anyone to think I was directing that wrong!
:o

KarenU
10-05-2002, 11:45 PM
hehehe Redsy....thanks for the laugh!

jackiesimmonds
10-06-2002, 07:47 AM
pastels will work on just about any surface that is matt and dry and has a bit of texture. However, what you do need to be careful about is the "longevity" and quality of that surface. I don't know about blackboard paint, and you should make some enquiries.

It is a fact that some of Hockney's paintings, done on Emulsion paint, for instance, are degrading now. And no-one knows the longevity of sandpaper surfaces, commonly being used by pastel painters - I have deep reservations about it myself, ever since someone pointed out to me that sandpaper is, essentially, bits of sand (glass) STUCK onto a surface with glue. And glues, as we all know if we keep envelopes or sticky tape for any length of time, dries out. I have visions of hundreds of pastel paintings slowly dropping off their surfaces!

So ... make sure that your surface is "archival" in quality, no matter what you use. The Art Spectrum surface is good, and is archival, I believe.

Jackie

maverick
10-06-2002, 11:19 AM
I've found some acrylic gel medium with pumice at my local art supply store. I'll add that to some dark paint. They recommended it for pastels. I don't see any point in risking a good painting on something that may not be archival. At least not a painting I would give to anyone else. I still might experiment, since I have this need to know...

Thanks for the info Karen and Jackie. Redsy, I'll post my findings here if and when I get around to trying the blackboard paint.

Thanks again!

jackiesimmonds
10-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Mav - if you find that the acrylic gel medium with pumice is a bit too gritty for your liking, I suggest you see if you can get hold of some MARBLE DUST powder - Cornellisen in London sell it. You can mix that with acrylic gesso, it makes the most wonderful coating for board.You can colour the mix with paint, or paint it black once it is dry. If you want you could mix it directly with BLACK liquid acrylic paint, but being white, it might grey the black paint.

The Marble Dust looks like talc, so you think it isn't going to have any effect - but it does. You mix it to a thin cream with gesso, and put two or three thin coats on board. It is an inexpensive way to make your own boards, and they are great to work on.
Jackie

KarenU
10-06-2002, 12:12 PM
Yup...I tried the acrylic gel medium with pumice by Golden, wow....way way way too gritty for me. I just recently bought a bag of pumice which I'm going to mix with either gesso or acrylic paint and see what kind of surface that makes.

The marble dust sounds interesting...sounds like it would be an even finer surface than the pumice.

jackiesimmonds
10-06-2002, 12:29 PM
You are right, Karen, it most certainly is more fine. You cannot believe, when you see it, that it is gonna work, but it really does, it is EXCELLENT. A teaspoon or two of the stuff, in a cup of gesso, will give you a smooth, creamy mix, which will grip pastel beautifully. It is worth tracking down.
Jackie

maverick
10-06-2002, 01:18 PM
I don't have a definitive answer yet, but so far...

Chalkboard paint is acrylic latex.

The key ingredient of chalkboard paint is talc.

Talc is commonly used as a filler in artists paints in place of marble dust.

Talc is now not recommended for your skin because it neutralizes the acid on your skin which naturally fights bacteria. (Acid free?)

Archivists use acrylic latex paint (the kind you use on your walls) to cover wood shelves for storage.

Some artists paint on masonite with latex house paint. (Why?) Grandma Moses painted with house paint, but I'm not sure if it was acrylic latex.

Using a bit of deductive reasoning, chalkboard paint looks to be safe to use as a ground for pastels. Whether it actually works or not is another question....