PDA

View Full Version : favourite software for digital art

Pages : [1] 2

javismiles
10-05-2002, 04:34 AM
what is your favourite software for digital art? :)

crazy_cat
10-05-2002, 07:20 AM
I use Photoshop only. I used PSP in the beginning but it didn't have the capabilities that pshop has, for me. If you don't need the extra plugins and such PSP is a great digital software to use and a lot less expensive and less system intrusive for sure!:cat:

digistyle
10-05-2002, 12:52 PM
I voted "depends on the project Im doing." For my stuff, I use Painter, Photoshop or sometimes, both.

digistyle

plumpfairy
10-06-2002, 10:13 AM
:D Adobe Photoshop LE is all I can afford right now. I would REALLY REALLY LOVE TO HAVE PHOTOSHOP 7.0
jana:D ;)

jsr88
10-06-2002, 03:31 PM
I have several pieces of Graphic software in my collection. Each has it's place...as I voted...depending on the project I'm working on at the time.

When creating designs for embroidery I will always choose the PSP v7. IT has enough vector features to keep me happy by creating nice even outlines...and it does have layers which allows me to trace certain elements.

When working with Photographs, I prefer PhotoShop V7. I just purchased it this past summer and am having a blast getting familiarized with it's features.

Corel Painter was included with my Wacom tablet...and I found myself actually "painting" with it. It looks to be an excellant "scratch pad" for when I don't KNOW what I want to do.

Paintshop Pro (PSP) would definitely be my recommendation for people just beginning to work with graphics based solely on the price and the fact that it *does* have enough features to let you know whether or not you're interested in spending the big bucks on PhotoShop.

phil_m
10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
I voted for Painter though my recent experience with Photoshop has only been with the LE versions...not exactly a fair comparison.

Some of Painter's features, going back to its earlier versions in particular, just seemed like magic when I first saw them. I'm not sure if I'd still recommend it, however, since recent updates haven't been nearly as interesting...and then there's the "support, what support?" problem as it has changed owner a few times.

However it's a great toolbox. After having used it for quite a few years, there are stilll a great many useful-sounding features in there that I still need to learn.

TeAnne
10-07-2002, 05:33 PM
One you didn't mention. ~ CorelDraw.

TeAnne
10-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by phil_m
I voted for Painter though my recent experience with Photoshop has only been with the LE versions...not exactly a fair comparison.

What gorgeous kitty pics you have Phil :cat:

chookbrown
10-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Most of my digital graphics are just for webpages.... banners, buttons etc so I use Macromedia Fireworks and also Photoshop 6.

Colleen:D

Digital Ed
10-07-2002, 09:35 PM
I use PSP and the Gimp, have heard some great things about Painter too!

dk_art
10-08-2002, 08:51 AM
I like ulead's PhotoImpact (version 8 now) the most even though I have Painter 6. It's just so well rounded . I guess I just don't use natural media paint much.

I like Expression 3 too www.creaturehouse.com ... it has some really unique vector tools

Also like XaraX for vector work

coolray
10-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne
One you didn't mention. ~ CorelDraw.

What TeAnne said!

Actually I do so many different things on the computer that I have quite a few various programs which include but are not limited to; Photoshop, Coreldraw, Bryce 3D, Poser 4, Animation Master, and some simple CAD programs. I use these programs by themselves or in conjuction with one another.

Terry

phil_m
10-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by coolray
Bryce 3D, Poser 4

Wonderful toys...have both of them and Alias Sketch! and Ray-Dream Studio and Persistence of Vision. Unfortunately, whenever I get into "3D mode" I spend days and days doing neat stuff and never actually finish anything. ( Well, not never, but close enough. :) )

Guy
10-08-2002, 09:57 PM
I use Photoshop. I'm pleased with the results I get with it and have no reason to try anything else yet. I have been interested in Painter for it's ability to simulate traditional media, but since I already use oils, pastels and graphite, I'll probably save the money.

bearsclover
10-09-2002, 03:17 PM
I mostly consider myself a Photoshop Queen. I do have Fireworks (use it for slicing web graphics, mostly) and Painter 7. I like Painter (its "watercolor" feature is fabulous) but I need to open a manual so I can figure out how to use it to its full potential!

jsr88
10-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Hey Javi...thanks for starting this thread. I'm glad I came back in to see the other replies. I've just installed the Painter software on this computer, and have been playing with it. It's an early (1.0) version...that's not "early" that's ANTIQUE!! :D

But I really appreciate the comments that others have made about it. I must say, even at this low level version, that Painter appears to be a fun tool...I love it when I can play with watercolors...something I've never really tried in the "real thing."

Thanks everyone for your comments...I've learned a lot.

FishBellyWhite
10-13-2002, 07:48 PM
I use Photoshop, Painter, Bryce 3D and Illustrator. I would probably use some other things if I could afford them.

Evana
10-14-2002, 01:44 PM
well, I use iPhoto Express 1.1, it's nice to do cartoony art :3

Jan-Michael
10-14-2002, 07:08 PM
I use Poser... Bryce and Photoshop myself...

captan
10-15-2002, 05:45 PM
I want a software that could take my keyframe sketches/(or inked keyframes) - put them into a queue let me retouch them, ink, and color with all the power that could be found in PS and CorelPaint put together, let me time the frames, attach a background, let me make transitions and all kinds of neat camera fx, and put as many soundtracks as I wanted and even let me manipulate them as I wanted. Oh and a million other neat stuff I can't think of now... I'd like to see all this in ONE application.

Does it exist yet? At least not for the kinda money I'm prepared to put into my hobby...

Oh and I use PS.

digistyle
10-31-2002, 06:04 PM
Captan,

You would probably have loved The Animation Studio Software, made by Silent Software for Disney. It was out in the late 80's/ early 90's, available for DOS, Amiga and Mac. It was a great animation program. It had two components, the animation studio and the Ink & Paint section.

The animation studio was where you created your pencil tests, exposure sheets, cel sequences, frame rate and sound. Ink & paint was where you set your color palettes and cycle rates. This was all for less than $70.00!

You could play the animations externally with a free program called Flick.exe. There used to be forums for animations created with the program on the old Compuserve and AOL services. People came up with some really good stuff. I created a three minute short with it on a 386 with a 80 meg hard drive and 6 meg of ram, running the animation in high memory. LOL

digistyle

drwells
11-01-2002, 10:35 PM
I've been using Painter since 2.0...gawd...I think that was Painter by Painter..LOL...I'm up to Painter 7 now. I have PSP, Photoshop, and have used Corel Draw...but they all seem to "tight" for me...I'm sure it is just because I'm so used to Painter...Gawd, you know, I've been around Painter for,like, forever and still don't know most about it. LOL...

Danny

Lori Peterson
11-02-2002, 03:09 AM
PSP advocate here

baquitania
11-05-2002, 02:56 PM
*snort* i started with my scanner's photo editing software, i could erase with it and put in fancy colors or type... *sniff* then i moved on to the good stuff, MSPAINT... yeah man that was some fun times... look ma i'm spray painting... but then i found PSP 7 *snort, wheeze in place* and it blew my mind :eek: ... i was like whoa look at these tubes dude.... sure i had me some PS6 on the side but it was only a trial... though shortly i acquired a full on version... i was hooked baby... PS6 was like psychadelic... i gotsta blend, overlay colors, and all those brushes man, i didn't no what to do with them... by this time digistyle convinced me to look into some painter 7 (good looking out my brother) and that was some heavy ****... it was painting but there was no mess man... yeah i like that... finally i am into the new flavor, PS 7, cause youse gotsta stay current you know what i'm saying... *looks around* anybody seen my wacom tablet? *shuffles off to compusa* later cybergators...

B:cool:bby

dd50
11-13-2002, 07:33 PM
Photoshop ..... of course! ;-)

And nobody mentioned this one: Adobe Illustrator - I LOVE it!

Hugs,
Dee

FishBellyWhite
11-13-2002, 09:20 PM
I did too mention Illustrator about 5 posts ago.

:p

shadowgirl
11-13-2002, 09:59 PM
I, right now.. only have photoshop.. though I would love to play with illustrator.

if i wanted to do painter, i'd just dig out my paints.... i've never really been keen of that program..

dd50
11-14-2002, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FishBellyWhite
[B]I did too mention Illustrator about 5 posts ago.

OOOOOOOOOOOO I just saw it now ....... I posted before I read it. :-)

:p

Hugs,
Dee

indigoskye
01-13-2003, 12:40 AM
I use a combination of PSP7, Poser4 and Vue3.1. I've never tried PS before because of the cost and I'm comfortable with PSP. I have purchased Painter7 this month and am just starting to play with it. Its pretty cool, but very complicated. I'm hoping that the tutorial book I bought is going to help me with Painter.

Main program so far is PSP, hands down.

jageo
01-13-2003, 07:57 PM
I think, because of how i relate laying down colour to my watercolours, I use Illustrator the most. I enjoy creating the shapes and layering them. Of course I have Photoshop and use it for SO MUCH! but I'm really enjoying Illustrator and experimenting with it right now.

JA

nnelson1
01-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Depending upon the type of project; PhotoShop 7, Painter, 3dStudio Max, Vue d'esprit, and the Gimp.

I've found each has their strengths for different things.

Nick

somk
01-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Most of the time, I'll say photoshop 7 (or else) because I know the software quite well but sometimes Painter, for the smoothness ... Painter works so well with wacom tablets.
I confess, I sometimes played qith Bryce to render 3D objects when I was in a playful mode, will that be ok father ? :)

KweeChaLa
01-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Photoshop rules the roost here as far as raster graphics are concerned, none of that Puntshop Pro for me. For 3D graphics I use POV-Ray (freeware!) or Poser (very expensive ware) and for vectors Zoner3 (another freeware).

Also for dicing images for webpages I prefer Dicer over Fireworks. If anyone is using Dicer and interested i have built an addon application that takes your Dicer tables and turns the images into cell backgrounds. Email me for info if you are interested.

Mark

Falchion
02-09-2003, 01:38 PM
I love to work with TrueSpace 4 using PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro for texture work and final touches on rendered images.

If anyone would like to get their feet wet in 3D modeling, there is a FREE version of TrueSpace 3 and downloadable manual now available through this link:

http://www.activeworlds.com/products/truespace.asp

Falchion

KweeChaLa
02-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Off to snag a copy...

:)

Mark

madster
02-10-2003, 01:25 AM
I have long been interested in 3d modeling, but spend my money on other expensive apps like Photoshop 7 and Painter 7 and GoLive 6....

Many, MANY thanks for this link!!! A full version $600.00 app for free is a wonderful gift, indeed.

Have a WONDERFUL day, week, month, Life!

Maddy

pantone_367
04-07-2003, 10:14 PM
I've been using Painter for several years now. Until recently I haven't had the space to set up my real paints, and Painter has filled in for them. It's also allowed me to experiment with photographs in a way I couldn't have with traditional media. So it gets my vote as my favorite :)

fugitive
04-07-2003, 11:25 PM
I use PSP 7, Painter, and occasionally PS 7, but soon PSP 8 will be number one, when everyone finds out what it can do.

dk_art
04-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Painter 8 will soon be coming out. Corel's site says to check out this page on April 10 :D

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Products/productInfo&id=1047021764853

Hope they have a demo. I read on a brochure (can't find the link) and it seems to say some improvement interface changes will be present as well as another type of palette which is like colour you can mix about like you would with paint. I have seen this used in Project Dogwaffle (and no other app) so maybe Painter saw that and thought it was a good idea ;)

fugitive
04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
dk_art, I like Painter but it's so difficult to use, I can't even see all my brushes. I also hope that 8 is a big improvement. Usually, they don't have trials, but one can hope.

ZB3
04-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Painter! I love Painter...and a friend of mine who beta-tested Painter 8 says it is awesome -- and she's a Photoshop girl, herself. :)

Supposedly, they have improved the watercolors.

Jan

ajlec2000
04-11-2003, 12:11 AM
I have an old computer and will not be able to afford an upgrade anytime soon. The latest programs all need more resources than I have available. I was hopeful about PSP 8 but it went over the top. Painter Classic works well on my computer and Painter 7's requirements are within my parameters but even at the latest price reductions by the time I can afford it (within a month) 8 will be out. The price will be back up there. I also have yet to hear what 8's system requirements will be.
But viewing the glass half full I still haven't gotten everything I can out of the programs I presently own.

Joe Rucker
06-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Photoshop :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elvira
06-15-2004, 03:39 AM
Personally I find PhotoShop very fiddlly and awkward to use also too expensive, so I'll stick with PSP 8 for image manip and Painter for painting and Expression 3 for vector sketching.
Edie

fugitive
06-15-2004, 05:20 AM
I have an old computer and will not be able to afford an upgrade anytime soon. The latest programs all need more resources than I have available. I was hopeful about PSP 8 but it went over the top. Painter Classic works well on my computer and Painter 7's requirements are within my parameters but even at the latest price reductions by the time I can afford it (within a month) 8 will be out. The price will be back up there. I also have yet to hear what 8's system requirements will be.
But viewing the glass half full I still haven't gotten everything I can out of the programs I presently own.I don't know about your graphic skills, but you can look at mine, a lot done with PSP 7, and a lot with 8. Some in P7, but it quit. For most folks, psp will do anything, you can do. Get 7, it's older, cheaper, and isn't a syst hog.

captan
06-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Photoshop :clap: x 14

Congratulations, you bumped a nearly year old topic with a one liner, way to go champ - you are my hero.

and to stay on topic now that we're here again - I would like to change my vote from "my ideal software hasn't been invented yet" to "Photoshop".

GOODROB
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, especially one that people who like Painter will enjoy, is ArtRage. It's still pretty new, and doesn't have some of the nice features like Painter (alt-click, etc.), but hands down in terms of being a program that mimics real media, it blows Painter away, especially for digital 'oil' paintings.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part.... IT'S FREE. So, I guess there's no reason not to at least try it.

A very good many awesome digital artists in this forum use it: Sijun Digital Art Forum (http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=29807&start=12030).

Worth giving a shot... definitely my vote for favorite.

-Rob

Andrew Rance
06-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Painter Classic/Photoshop 5.5/Paintshop Pro 5 - Painter for 'painting' with a graphics tablet, Photoshop for its effects, layers, titling and using plug-ins, Paintshop Pro for browsing my picture galleries and simple stuff like resizing and playing around with contrast, colour balance etc. I daresay at least one of these programmes could do all of these functions, but I guess its what I am used to.

lemonbird
06-15-2004, 07:54 PM
I voted for Photoshop. It is the most versatile tool I own. However, I have other favs: Painter 8, Adobe Imageready (free with photoshop), Bryce, Apophysis is pretty cool for fractals, and am just learning Carrara... but will probably be my tool of choice for 3D.

Jet
06-15-2004, 09:03 PM
I guess this wasn't a bad idea after all...

Thanks Sam...
it was me who digged it up from the dark WC archives,looking for some historic facts, and brought it alive just by voting, didn't want to place a reply, but thanks to Joe Rucker for placing the first reply after so long !! http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Regards

ps- i guess i don't get a hero treatment, anyhow... :crying:

lemonbird
06-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Awww... poor Jet. **hands him a superhero cape** :)

janettbea
06-15-2004, 11:01 PM
I voted for Paint Shop Pro (v7)because that is the only program I have. It's not a big hardship having just the one tool cause right now anyway, I mostly do hand painting with it. 'Course I wouldn't throw Photo shop or Painter or any other tools away if I had them. :D

A fun thing about hand painting with your image software is you can enlarge your image by resizing.( If that image is lineart, that is. :) After resizing it bigger, you get additonal painting practice because you will need to paint the resized lineart image. :~

Interesting reading about the diffierent software the group uses.

Janet B.

Jin
06-16-2004, 01:55 AM
It's Painter for me. I've been using it since Painter 4.0 and still love it.

Installed on my newer computer are Metacreations Painter Classic 1, procreate Painter Classic 2, Fractal Design Painter 5.0.3, Corel Painter 6.1, Corel Painter 7.1.357, and Corel Painter 8.1.

Also installed on that computer are Illustrator 9.0, Photoshop 7.0.1, ArtRage (I read somewhere today that a new version of ArtRage will be released in a couple of weeks), and Expression 3.0.

On my older computer are Fireworks, Bryce 4, and some other programs I can't recall now and it's not hooked up to my monitor and tablet to make it easier to look... sorry.

On an even older computer is Poser 2 (I think that's the version number) which I used to play with a bit but never got really interested so it stays where it is.

Since a lot of Painter users also use Photoshop for color tweaking before printing (and for some other odds and ends it does better than Painter), that's the other program I open up most often to check things when answering questions. I seldom actually use it but have a reasonable understanding of how it works having taken a couple of classes a few years ago and having used it for a few months at work before I retired.

I love Painter because, though it is complex and can take years to learn well, for me it's very intuitive, exciting, and full of great surprises (no, not always bad ones). ;) It's versatile enough that I can do almost anything I want to do with it. Though I've been using it every day for years, there's always something more to be discovered and I like the fact that it never bores me.

Beta testing Painter 9 now and that should be released sometime before the end of this year.

I've used all of these programs at one time or another, some more than others and Illustrator would be another favorite for enjoyment while Photoshop, to me, is drudgery. However, I have great respect for Photoshop's capabilities and am very glad to own it (to keep the Photoshop fans off my case). :angel:

Joe Rucker
06-16-2004, 02:39 AM
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, especially one that people who like Painter will enjoy, is ArtRage. It's still pretty new, and doesn't have some of the nice features like Painter (alt-click, etc.), but hands down in terms of being a program that mimics real media, it blows Painter away, especially for digital 'oil' paintings.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part.... IT'S FREE. So, I guess there's no reason not to at least try it.

A very good many awesome digital artists in this forum use it: Sijun Digital Art Forum (http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=29807&start=12030).

Worth giving a shot... definitely my vote for favorite.

-Rob
I tried Artrage and I have to say that it is pretty cool. I think that it is a good device for doing some quick sketches. It's free too. My only complaint is that it is too simple. People should at least try this program. :clap:

beautifulfreak
06-16-2004, 06:14 AM
I love painter, I got painter 5 off ebay real cheap(under 10 bucks) it came in a paint can and would you believe a user license for 5 computers. I then picked up painter 6 also on ebay also real cheap a little while later(also in the paint can). I am a photoshop diehard but I find painter just amazing. I still use photoshop to make images when I need to make them fast(cause I know the program's tools so well) but if I don't have anything specific in mind and want to spend a bunch of time experimenting I use painter. I also use illustrator. I have bryce 4(great for making textures to apply to photoshop stuff), poser 3, raydreams, and expression 1.0 and some other older graphic programs that I also got off ebay.

I saw the link to expression 3.0 and downloaded the 3+ hour download, I haven't installed it yet.

kptad2
06-16-2004, 12:03 PM
i chose something other.. which would be dogwaffle.. but i also use paint shop pro.. since i use dog more than anything else.. that was my choice... :D

lemonbird
06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
it came in a paint can and would you believe a user license for 5 computers.

:D Wasn't the paint can cute? I got two different versions and they both came in a paint can. Thought that was pretty cool. Now it comes in a box. *sigh*

Joe Rucker
06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
I tried out Artrage for a couple of short sketches. They are pretty bad, lol, but here they are. :o The first one is just a bunch of strokes and the second is a portrait from memory of a model I drew once. The last is a detail of the portrait. Enjoy.
P.S. I still prefer Photoshop. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jet
06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Joe
these are pretty nice, but i guess one misses the control one has in PhotoShop, which some of these little programs are lacking .

if you have works done in photoshop, feel free to post away,
we'd like to see them very much

Regards

Michael
06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Joe, A bit more contrasting color and I think you might like it for these type of works.

yoyita_yoyita
06-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Taking about photoshop, here is one from scratch.

Michael
06-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Nicely done Yoyita!

yoyita_yoyita
06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I have found Photoshop as well as painter are useful to just paint. Probably I am not using any of the programs to their full extent, I am curious to find other software as well.

Jet
06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
WOW,

Droolers Alert !!

you do a fine job indeed..

I can do similar work from scratch..ing a photograph only...

Congrats

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Yoyita...Another fine piece!!

Why don't you go ahead and post these in a new thread that is your so we can all find them :D

Joe Rucker
06-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Joe
these are pretty nice, but i guess one misses the control one has in PhotoShop, which some of these little programs are lacking .

if you have works done in photoshop, feel free to post away,
we'd like to see them very much

Regards

Joe, A bit more contrasting color and I think you might like it for these type of works.
Thank you both for the feedback and support. :clap: I am mostly a traditional media guy and post most of my work in the figure forum. However, I do some digital stuff now and then and since you requested I will post something in the near future.
Thanks again.

xreader
06-18-2004, 02:19 AM
Being very new to digital art, I began with Photo Shop Elements. Since then I have a very adequate program: Ulead's PhotoImpact 7 I obtained from purplus.com for about $16. I have since tried Dogwaffle ( a free program) and for 3D...3DCanvas (another free program) that i was able to animate my 3D creation-much as in 3DMax.

Luka
06-23-2004, 05:14 AM
Up until recently, I would have said Paint Shop Pro.

But I recently bought psp 8.0, and the sucker wants internet access. Since I cannot understand a graphics program needing access to the internet... And since this one absolutely refuses to even begin to install without it...

I am thinking that I am not going to be recommending it any more.

Here is a link to a thread I started in the cafe about it...

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191551

Does anyone know if version 7 requires a browser, and/or internet access ?

If it does not... then does anyone know where I can trade my brand new, registerable, (Never even installed, let alone registered.), full version 8.0, with users manual... for a full version 7, with manual, that I can register ? (By mail, of course. LOL)

I am offering the whole thing. Exactly what I got in the box from Staples. I would like exactly the same. Not a copy, or burned cd, or anything of the sort. Factory box, original unmarred, and perfectly working cd, manual, registration card, and the program has never been registered before.

fugitive
06-23-2004, 05:39 AM
Up until recently, I would have said Paint Shop Pro.

But I recently bought psp 8.0, and the sucker wants internet access. Since I cannot understand a graphics program needing access to the internet... And since this one absolutely refuses to even begin to install without it...

I am thinking that I am not going to be recommending it any more.

Here is a link to a thread I started in the cafe about it...

http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191551

Does anyone know if version 7 requires a browser, and/or internet access ?

If it does not... then does anyone know where I can trade my brand new, registerable, (Never even installed, let alone registered.), full version 8.0, with users manual... for a full version 7, with manual, that I can register ? (By mail, of course. LOL)

I am offering the whole thing. Exactly what I got in the box from Staples. I would like exactly the same. Not a copy, or burned cd, or anything of the sort. Factory box, original unmarred, and perfectly working cd, manual, registration card, and the program has never been registered before.Seven does not need it. Eight needs something from MS in there latest browser. I was pissed when I found out on the Beta test group, but that didn't change anything. I still love my PSP 8, and use it for everything, but textured paint.

Luka
06-23-2004, 06:12 AM
Seven does not need it. Eight needs something from MS in there latest browser. I was pissed when I found out on the Beta test group, but that didn't change anything. I still love my PSP 8, and use it for everything, but textured paint.

Thank you VERY much, Greg !

Ok, very cool. Now to find someone with an essentially virgin copy of 7.

I very rarely ever register software. Including even my OS. (98SE) I have the original cd, all the packaging, the registration card, the paperwork, etc. I bought it from a store. If I am ever asked about it, I can show all that to prove that I legally own the software. But I don't bother with registration.

I am hoping there is someone out there who has done the same with psp7.

Legally... I can give and recieve complete software programs... But only if a copy is not left installed anywhere, etc. If I give this psp 8 to someone in exchange, I am not allowed to keep a copy of the cd. Or an installed copy of it anywhere at all... I have to give all of it to them. Complete. If I had burned a backup copy of the cd, I would have to destroy that, or give it to them as well.

I do not want to be involved in piracy. Nowhere close, even. An exchange with the above conditions met, is perfectly legal.

And I am sorry if I am sounding anal, or like a real stickler, but I live on 300 dollars a month. Honestly. I paid more than 80 dollars for this program, and that is a very dear cost for me. I really do not want to make a trade, and then find out that I have gotten something second-rate, not complete, not working, or not legally mine...

Another alternative for me, would be to get a working installation cd of version 7, free from someone. Install it, and use it. (Without registering.) And if ownership is ever called into question, I can pull out my complete in the box, version 8 that has never been installed. It is a later version of the same program by the same company, and of greater value. The company got their profits. I paid for a copy of the program, and I am only using one copy of the program.

Whuf !

What a novella. Sorry.

TheAndroid
08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I am a full on vector fiend! I live and breathe Illustrator.

PeterMcC
08-29-2004, 10:21 AM
I Use the Adobe Creative Suite Premium - Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Indesign CS, Go Live CS, Image Ready CS, Acrobat Professional. Macromedia Studio MX 2004 - Freehand MX, Flash MX 2004 Professional, Fireworks 2004 and Dreamweaver MX 2004 - Painter 7 Maxons Cinema 4DXL - Final Cut Pro and After Effects. It tends to let me go in any direction I want and by integrating the packages as and when I need them I get the desired results alot faster. - Oh and the newer software has to be activated over the internet or over the telephone in order to register it.

Meldy
08-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Photoshop and Illustrator CS for me!!! *hugging them*

Lady Love
08-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I voted for Paint Shop Pro because I have used that more. I have 7 and I also have 8 but I did not install 8 on my computer as yet. I also have Photoshop 7 but so far, it confuses me. :(
I want to learn what the hoopla is all about when it comes to Photoshop. :clap:

staigerman
09-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Should have added Project Dogwaffle to the list for 2D painting, and as entry level 3D Carrara Studio is rather complete too.

-Philip

scotta821
09-02-2004, 03:33 PM
I've been working as a Graphic Designer for the past 4 years, and I find that for the stuff I do in the business world, you can't beat Photoshop for digital image work. Painter 8 works really well for fine art applications, and if you really want a great digital paint program, try Deep Paint. You will be amazed at how it works, the different media blend together as if it were real.

Later all,
Scott

KeeCoyote
09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Well as new guy and one with a very limited budget. Lets see the programs I use. For 3d I use some freeware programs. Anim8or http://www.anim8or.com , Blender its very powerful but the learning curve is high. This can be found at http://www.blender.org/ and Wings3d which can be found at http://www.wings3d.com/ . For 2d drawings and stuff I use PSP8 , The Gimp and Project Dogwaffle which can be found at http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm , there is a freeware vesion and a shareware version.

Tangerine Dragon
10-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I use PSP, and I also use Oekaki programs on the Internet.

staigerman
10-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Well as new guy and one with a very limited budget. Lets see the programs I use. For 3d I use some freeware programs. Anim8or http://www.anim8or.com , Blender its very powerful but the learning curve is high. This can be found at http://www.blender.org/ and Wings3d which can be found at http://www.wings3d.com/ . For 2d drawings and stuff I use PSP8 , The Gimp and Project Dogwaffle which can be found at http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm , there is a freeware vesion and a shareware version.

Here are two other 3D programs to check out. One's animationmaster from hash.com, not my favorite though, difficult to model with IMHO. The other one, and I know this one very well, is Carrara Studio, and version 4 is coming soon with great landscaping and atmospherics, check out www.eovia.com - There used to be another one very popular, RayDream, from MetaCreations. Carrara is the successor to that and has an interface similar to Poser and Bryce. The rendering is outstanding and very fast by comparison with others.
The price of Carrara 4 is dropping to $279 from $399 at v3. But there' also a pro version of v4 with additional plugins, around $579 I think.

If you're looking for a free modeler, Wings3d is neato. In fact great for certain types of modeling. Other stuff you might like to try Amapi for. The old version 5.15 is free at www.amapi.net

Regarding Project Dogwaffle: there isn't really a shareware version. We call it the commercial version. It's $67. There is a demo/trial version too, in the demo zone:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/demozone - but it's save-disabled and other things removed and can't be activated with a key, you have to buy and install a new full version. Only 10.7 MB of download though, easy. Available also with tutorial collection on CD.

There is indeed a free version, v1.2 is the latest, which is based on code from the January v2 release but has certain things removed. Still, it has saving enabled (for Targa and BMP file formats). It has fewer features, fewer plugins, but still enough to keep you busy painting for years before getting bored IMHO. Perfect for starving artists. The free version lives here:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/free
Some tutorials can be done with the free v1.2 version too:
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/tuts

There's a contest at 3dcommune.com now through Thanksgiving - 3 copies of Dogwaffle to win amongst other things. Look for details in the 3dcommune forum on Dogwaffle

-Philip

brocious
10-14-2004, 11:01 PM
i use PS 7, and cinema 4D for 3d stuff

Leslie_Ann
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Adobe Illustrator for sure. I learned it from a master in my graphic design program and he became a mentor. He started by explaining the mathematics of the bezier curve(the heart of vector) and drilled the use of the pen tool in his lessons.
I'd have to say that I've spent about on average 2 hours a night in the software since opening it up for the first time November last year. It's what got me my new job. I'm so obsessed I use the software with almost all keyboard short cuts and little use of the mouse. Nice to find other fans here. :)

Second would be Photoshop but my expertise is photo, pixel, and colour correction. I do use Image ready for the Web but I haven't delved into the painting aspects of it much.
I guess I'll study that here with the masters. :)

justjean
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
my old favorite PSP7 and Painter ;)

Dave Orchid
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I use primarily Mojoworld & Bryce 5 to express myself, though Photoshop is what I use daily for adjustments, etc. I also use XenoDream, UltraFractal, Poser 5, AmorphiumPro, and a bunch of plugins for Photoshop.
~Dave

drowningcreek
12-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Photoshop......

Flint_Holberg 917-G
12-16-2004, 04:36 AM
Photoshop (v7.0.1)
Bryce 5
Electric Image (Universe v4.0.8)
Infini-D (v4.1)
Xaos Tools (Paint Alchemy and Terrazzo)

Nothing beats Photoshop, but I would hate to have to give up any of the others. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/51883-Signature-Logo-Final_120904.jpg

Y-Man
12-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Loved photoshop, but too expensive for my budget....
I use GIMP instead (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/)

sambsam
01-02-2005, 11:20 AM
AutoCAD, Solidworks, Bryce5,

EnigmaDream
01-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi, everybody I'm new here, Iam a amateur photographer:) well I don't know wich one is my favorite, I had try Photo Impact 6 but Im not satisfied with it, I'm very interesting in Digital Painting And Collage, What do you recommend me? any suggestion it is welcome, thanks... :D

nadinbrzezinski
01-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I love to work with TrueSpace 4 using PhotoShop and PaintShop Pro for texture work and final touches on rendered images.

If anyone would like to get their feet wet in 3D modeling, there is a FREE version of TrueSpace 3 and downloadable manual now available through this link:

http://www.activeworlds.com/products/truespace.asp

Falchion

Thank you, snagged the copy... now if I can figure how to export to DXF I will be in heaven.... truly probably the easiest program I have used

KaBoom!
01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and speak for someone else.
Photoshop Elements is the program, Dan (mydrawingtablet) is the man.
Check out his site. Everything is done with PSE, and well...you won't believe it!

www.mydrawingtablet.com

As far as me...I'm new to DA so I can't really say. I'm learning Illustrator right now, and it's a lot of fun - BUT - I have PSE and Dan really has me wondering......
Larry

GreyWolf
01-05-2005, 04:58 PM
We use PSP 9.0, 3dMax 6, AutoCAD, Poser, Bryce, Maya, Architectural desktop, etc.

The one thing I really like about PSP, is I can save the file as a photoshop file, if need be for t-shirt graphics. I can also open up CAD files in PSP.

I do alot of from scratch celtic work, and graphic design, and to me PSP works better than PhotoShop for what we do.

ferelannie
01-05-2005, 07:31 PM
The Gimp - because it is free, and now available for Windows

ajlec2000
01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Enigma, here's my take on paint programs.

Painter is probably the best but the price is a bit high. Its main purpose is graphic arts, hence the name.

Paint Shop Pro is nearly as good(and perhaps better in the latetest Version 9 which I have yet to try) and considerably cheaper.

Photoshop is the industry standard but is, in my mind, arrogantly expensive but it has more on line tutorials available then any other program and a plethora of books, making it possible to become proficient very quickly. Photoshop Elements now has a new version 3 and is a somewhat abbreviated version of the big program that, however, is relatively inexpensive and would work as an excellent digital painter. A student discount is available, I believe.

Gimp is another very capable program that comes free from the open source community but my experience with it is that I spent more time trying to get it to work then actually working with it. In fairness I was using it on a Windows machine and perhaps a Linux system would make it shine.

Art Rage is a fun and free program that simulates real world art media but that's all it does and does not have the indispensable capabilty of layers that all the other programs I mentioned have.

Pixia is another free program (and the one I most like to use). It has most of the basic features of the big boys and, with tweaking, can use most filters intended for Photoshop and PSP. It is not very intuitive however and there are very few tutorials for it.

Hope this helps.

EnigmaDream
01-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey ajlec! thanks a lot, I very appreciate your help, well, my budget don't pass the 150 $ for a software, and I was thinking in PSP9, I'm planing to buy the Graphire3 from Wacom, and I think that come with some programs, like Element1 and Painter Classic, so I hope to buy it this weekand, I can't wait! :D Thanks So Much For Your Respond.

rjKing
01-18-2005, 01:50 AM
I've been using Painter for several years now. Until recently I haven't had the space to set up my real paints, and Painter has filled in for them. It's also allowed me to experiment with photographs in a way I couldn't have with traditional media. So it gets my vote as my favorite :)

This is precisely why I have Painter 9 and a wacom tablet. I painted a lot of oil and worked a lot of charcoal.. with space being a concern the only thing I can work in that ain't real dirty is graphite.. so Painter is filling in my 'color gap' for now. I can say that Painter Artist oils actually feel like oil.. at least they way I used to used oils (very blendy).

rj

chaz
01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Chaz Here. I'm a newbie on this block, but have been using digital art and digital graphic programs for many years, all the way back to the original Coreldraw and an old package called Arts and Letters. My favorite at the moment is PSP v7 for pure painting. By pure painting I mean no plug-ins or fancy brushes. Just a square and round brush that I can change to what ever size size on.I am traditional watercolor painter and All I use are some flats and those little round pointy things.

I have no quarrel with photoshop. It's a good product, loaded with goodies tha I never use and the price is obscene. I Have photoshop 6 on my laptop that I yuse when I'm on road trips with my camera. So I guess you can say I can use what ever comes my way. I like PSP 7 because it is fast, and clean and puts down a neat transparent watercolor like image.

I've tried artrage, expression,pixia, and some others, but they are just too gimickie for me. I have just ordered PSPv9 and give that a go.

But since I'm retired and don't have to earn a living at this, Anything that can put color on a image will do. As an old art teacher nce told the class, "A true artist can put color on a page with a chewed stick"

norsaw
01-27-2005, 02:14 AM
The only graphics program I've worked with is psp7 and 8. I've ordered 9 and it's on it's way. So far without much to compare to psp is my favorite. I've seen lots of work done with painter and I like the results I've seen. I tried the demo version and it scared me off real quick. This old dog isn't good at learning new tricks. lol
Linda

sando
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Members
I have two Paint Programs,PSP8 and DogWaffle.
I do not bother now with PSP8,Since I found DogWaffle.
To me PSP8 is just altering Photographs.
DogWaffle is a proper paint program,you have to paint them in whatever medium you choose,oil,watercolours,pen and ink,and many more.
Or you can paint with them mixing them together.oil and water,or tempera and it goes on.Pastels anything you can think of.
Also you can use Animation, if you like Animation.
I have a few paintings there if you would like to see them,under name Sandy.
I hope to do some painting for Wetcanvas,when I get to know how to do
uploading and attachments.It is all new to me at the moment.
http//www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/index
Take a look. :D :wink2:

dcolb121
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Twistedbrush from Pixarra...

http://www.pixarra.com

Don

sando
03-05-2005, 02:45 PM
dcolb121
Had a look at pixarra and all the brushes.cant knock it altogether.
Not as good as DogWaffle,in my opinion :D :D

lunatalulah
03-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Adobe Illustrator is my favorite program. I was lucky enough to take a college class on it. I wish I knew it as well as Leslie Ann on the previous page knows it. But I am getting there. The pen tool is my favorite feature as well. The sky is the limit once you get that tood down.

I am currently trying to push my self to learn my Photoshop program. I should take a class on that one too. SOo much to learn on it. I have been slowly taken online tutorials to learn more.

Great question! I loved reading everyones answers and I have bits and pieces of experience with lots of the programs mentioned.

Oh and I am new here too.. will be in this forum more than anyother :wave: I've been clicking on your links and enjoying your work! I am amazed at the tallent! :eek:

And Yoyita Your pieces done on photoshop are amazing!! I had no idea it could do THAT ALthough I suspect its more you than the program! lol Fantastic work. :clap:

yoyita_yoyita
03-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Thanks you lunatalulah, I do paint in traditional materials too.
At the beginning it was very difficult to mix the colors, so I opened in photoshop on of my paintings and got the colors from it and I used them to start painting in the computer, but with time I found out I could do them mixed directly in the computer.

I don't know photoshop, I just use the wacom tablet and do it as I would directly with oils. I know it is a very powerful program and maybe in the future I will have enough time to take a class on it.

delrayson
04-03-2005, 12:40 AM
everone has got to try a program called "project dogwaffle" for natural media painting best part its cheap and there's a free version

delrayson
04-03-2005, 01:02 AM
everone has got to try a program called "project dogwaffle" for natural media painting best part its cheap and there's a free version

Tangerine Dragon
04-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Sometimes I use PaintShop Pro for art, but I haven't yet figured out how to harness its mighty power. :p

For most of my digital art, I use an Oekaki applet. I'm so used to them now.. :)

leofaerie17
04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Sando
Ive just downloaded Dogwaffle to try out any tips on sites or tuts for the basics i have a tablet and pen and im a novice to all programs have PSP7

Cheers Bev

maria_khurram
04-19-2005, 09:19 PM
You have not listed it here. I use Corel Photo paint. I have used also painter and photo shop, but Photo Paint is my favourite.

Mikita
05-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Paint Shop Pro

yellow cow
06-08-2005, 05:14 PM
I only have PS7, I like Painter as well but I don't have it yet.

carld
06-14-2005, 09:11 AM
I use Deep Paint Digital Studio. It comes free with a book of the same name. I got mine from Amazon used for about $7.00.

It has almost as many brushes as Painter and works very well. The 3-D impasto effects are amazing. The only drawback that I see is the color picker. I would like a mixer palett like Dogwaffle or Painter has.

The book is very well done. If you do the projects in it, you will have a good grounding in digital painting and photo manipulation.

Carl

yuffie
07-08-2005, 03:53 PM
My favourite is definately FreeHand. I just love the clean cut colours of vector art, and the funkiness that brings :) It's all about the funkiness! I find it can give more of an impact. Well that's just me.. if I wanted to paint something to really have an impact on people, something you would want to look at, to draw you in to looking at it, I would use FreeHand, rather than PhotoShop (which is the only other program I use for digital art). I enjoy photoshop too, I enjoy it alot, but FreeHand is my favourite :)

Thalina
07-09-2005, 04:10 PM
:) Hi! I stumbled here by accident and this is what I use with and without my drawingbord it is called ""ArtRage"" and is a free program. Look for it in a searchmachine (google?) You will love it!
Thalina :wave:

clipartbytrina
12-23-2005, 11:38 PM
I've only used PaintShop Pro, so that's how I voted. Although I am curious about Painter. Oh wait, I used the "Paint" program that comes with Windows back in '94 :) Can't remember much about it, though.

staigerman
12-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Sando
Ive just downloaded Dogwaffle to try out any tips on sites or tuts for the basics i have a tablet and pen and im a novice to all programs have PSP7

Cheers Bev

It's been a while since you posted your message I think, sorry if I'm late.

Most tutorials (most free and some paying) can be found here:

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/tuts

There are also some pieces and parts of mini-tutorials that are sprinkled in other areas of the site, such as to combine trees from Carrara with grass from Dogwaffle's particle brushes:
http://www.thebest3d.com/carrara/plants

Look around and you may see more in other sections. For example for post-work on animations of terrain fly-by:
http://www.thebest3d.com/carrara/mountains

GreyWolf
12-31-2005, 01:48 PM
I use Paint Shop Pro X and Corel Painter IX.
I can use all the Photoshop filters and plugins in PSP, and I can open CADD drawings in PSP. Also can save as a photoshop file if need be for the printer.

staigerman
12-31-2005, 02:42 PM
...Also can save as a photoshop file if need be for the printer.

I use Irfanview for my printing, or the multiprint plugin for Dogwaffle.
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/3rdpartyplugins

GreyWolf
01-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I use Irfanview for my printing, or the multiprint plugin for Dogwaffle.
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/3rdpartyplugins

LOL what I meant was, my clients can take the finished work to a printer, and if they only have Photoshop, I can save it in that format in layers for them..:D

addphan
01-03-2006, 07:19 AM
i use both photoshop elements 2.0 and painter 9 (trial)...so you see, i'm still new at this. a couple years ago i was using metacreations painter (came with my waco) and so i came to enjoy it. still need help with photoshop but am interested in exploring it more. i guess i would say painter is my fav in terms of its ability to simulate the traditional mediums without the mess...naturally...:).

dcolb121
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Since discovering vectors, I've been doing all my work with Expression 3 by Creature House (bought by Microsoft and offered by them for free). Steep learning curve, but having fun with it now...

Don

BlackFox
01-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I downloaded trial versions of both Painter and Photoshop. After using Painter for 5 minutes I was ready to hurl my computer out the window, but I loved PS. The way I see it, why spend hours trying to simulate oil paints when you could use the real thing?

Elvira
01-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I downloaded trial versions of both Painter and Photoshop. After using Painter for 5 minutes I was ready to hurl my computer out the window, but I loved PS. The way I see it, why spend hours trying to simulate oil paints when you could use the real thing?

Don't give up yet!! Painter is a great tool for trying out ideas for traditional painting with out wasting paint and canvas LOL also with no mess, but can be very frustrating if you are working with a mouse, until I got my first graphic pad I couldn't do anything other than photo manips. There are however some amazing artists on this forum that work with a mouse.
Edie

justjean
01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
I d/l both also and found Painter to be the much easier to use altho I still love my old PSP7 :)

jhercilia
01-08-2006, 02:48 PM
I love Painter. But it took me some time to master it and losts of frustration with earlier versions. Now I am in heaven with version IX. I do all paintings in Painter and use Photoshop when I work with photograph and collages.

paintinoil
02-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I use Twisted Brush. I really like the brush selection. There are 1500 brushes.It's a really great program and I haven't seen it mentioned
Here are two or three examples:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/28096-abstract22.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/28096-Les_Fleur2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/28096-Max.jpg

paintinoil
02-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I tried to delete the pics when I came back to this thread and saw that there were no pics but I was too late to edit my post sorry!

fugitive
02-17-2006, 02:27 AM
I d/l both also and found Painter to be the much easier to use altho I still love my old PSP7 :)

Hi Jean; just had to say something, because I'm a lifer when it comes to psp. Get a copy of 8, but go no further, as it can do loads of things 7 can't. I have both, but all the paintings I do are equally psp8 and painter 8.

justjean
02-17-2006, 06:37 AM
I have 8 Greg but as all I use is the paint and smudge brush I still prefer 7 :D

Hi Jean; just had to say something, because I'm a lifer when it comes to psp. Get a copy of 8, but go no further, as it can do loads of things 7 can't. I have both, but all the paintings I do are equally psp8 and painter 8.

carol_skinner
02-19-2006, 03:53 PM
I voted for Photoshop (I use CS2) and Painter (I use IX) but you didn't show Studio Artist - a Mac only application - it is AWESOME! I use all three in concert - I start with Photoshop - move the image to Studio Artist and then in and out of Painter - and end up in Photoshop for final tweaking of color and contrast etc.

Carol

http://www.pbase.com/carol_muse_skinner/digitalmuse

paintdoc
04-08-2006, 09:18 AM
One software that wasn't mentioned and in my opinion is one of the best, it's also very cheap to buy, is Project Dogwaffle. This software is truley amazing and for well under $100 you can't beat it. Check it out here -> http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/index.html (http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/index.html)
Don't let the price fool you (there's a free version too)this can compete with Painter anyday, the Optipustics (particle brushes) will amaze you.......roghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/80392-Snowfun_copy.jpg

staigerman
04-08-2006, 10:10 AM
One software that wasn't mentioned and in my opinion is one of the best, it's also very cheap to buy, is Project Dogwaffle. This software is truley amazing and for well under $100 you can't beat it. Check it out here -> http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/index.html (http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/index.html)
Don't let the price fool you (there's a free version too)this can compete with Painter anyday, the Optipustics (particle brushes) will amaze you.......roghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2006/80392-Snowfun_copy.jpg

and the latest version is 3.6
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/whatsnew

if you have 3.x (e.g. 3.5, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0...) then 3.6 is a free update.

Have you seen the reviews in recent magazines such as 3DWorld magazine #74? 10 out of 10 for value, telling us it's underpriced. 4.5 out of 5 in the new Imagine FX magazine - see the upcoming 4 page tutorial by Martin Duerr in issue #4

Martin's samples of wafflings at www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/dotm/Cybersign

many other samples from various artists at
www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/dotm (Dogwaffler of the moment)

More of what's possible:
www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/art

note that there is a big emphasis on animation - old school traditional animation where you draw frame by frame, with onionskins, animated brush and apply filters across the timeline. Particle brushes can be painted into animations too. It doesn't do everything Photoshop does. It doesn't do everything Painter can. It doesn't replace After Effects... it just does a lot of things that make sense to a Hollywood Special FX animator/artist who's created with Dogwaffle his own tool of the trade. It's about 8 years in the making now. If you remember the Amiga OS from the mid 80's you might enjoy Dogwaffle's features if you ever played with the then very popular Deluxe-Paint (Dpaint) by Dan Silva.

By-the-way, anyone knows where Dan Silva is?

Deperately seeking Silva ;-)

-Philip

staigerman
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
by-the-way, and apologies for not mentioning it before, I do believe Dogwaffle had been mentioned. But perhaps in another thread, I don't know fer sure. Anyway, there's always new things to talk about. Like that space picture I attached. Can anyone guess what I used for the rocks floating and drifting in space?

and while am at it and enjoying my morning coffee, here's a little story I like to share...

you can buy Dogwaffle-created artwork on a US stamp. Or on a music CD. It's called Cosmic Eye, and if you look it up in images.google.com you'll see it near the top. if not at the top. anyway, it was something I created last year, and late November a musician asked to get it on his upcoming new CD, AEoN. www.thebest3d.com/music - look for John Somnitz's AEoN .

John didn't know it then, but in January he learned that one of the titles on the CD had been submitted by a friend for consideration in a call for artists to play 200 music titles during the winter olympics in Turin at Piazza Solferino. The Frisco based Magnetic Poets band playing on stage was going to turn the attention to music from 200 artists around the world every day. They ended up playing our song several times just before the medal ceremonies. The title is "Today is the First Day". If you're interested in the background story on the making of this song, and the lyrics, listen to John in the recorded archives of an Art Rocks! episode at wsradio.com - we were on the air (on the ether?) early February. John called in from Saratoga Springs NY while I was at the Studio in San Diego's WSradio.

We're now working on a project called Return to Stonehenge. It is involving old and new music instruments, Trance/Electronica and fiddlers and violins and accoustic guitars.... and at some point we hope to run a contest to see who has the best vision for a cover CD. I 'see' a bunch of drunken druids frolicking and dancing to the return and arrival of aliens in their UFO's at Stonehenge where they left centuries ago and had given the Druids their mystical magical powers.

The first song (Vibrant Legacy) used to be known internally as "John's Drinking Song". I love it. It's got a fast beat and makes you wonder if you still need that coffee in the morning to wake up - it's got a lot of pep and energy. I jokingly call it Inter-gaelic caffeeine delivery system.

fugitive
04-09-2006, 12:39 AM
I have 8 Greg but as all I use is the paint and smudge brush I still prefer 7 :D

The psp 8 smudge is twice as good, I actually use the push more, but it can be tuned to smudge or mover pixels. Say you doing a face and there's a dark area under an eye, that you don't like, you grab the smudge and rub and rub, but it does nothing cept smooth it out. Grab the push, and you can move the pixels, with out repainting, and lighten. Painter gets none of my editing business, just psp 8

fugitive
04-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I like to try new stuff and lately, there has been 2 or 3 worth a try, Twisted Brush, Dogwaffle, and Artrage. I tried Dog today, but since it's so new, couldn't do anything cept look at the brushes. I don't think it has layers, does it? I talked to the owner of Twisted which is evolving dayly and he's going to put layers in, I think, such a treat to talk to a owner/ creator. greg

beebluefern
04-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I now have the three you've mentioned Greg...of course I am a complete novice with these programs and just experimenting with them every day to see what they can do. But, they are fantastic! My current, and latest aquisition is Project Dogwaffle....it really is so much fun and I've only just scratched the surface of what that can do....my hat is off to these owner/creators..what a great tool for digital and traditional medium artists!:thumbsup:

justjean
04-27-2006, 08:21 AM
PSP7 has the push also :) as for the smudge a lot depends on your settings.
Oh and I just d/l dogwaffle to play with :)

Grab the push, and you can move the pixels, with out repainting, and lighten. Painter gets none of my editing business, just psp 8

Bytemebabs
04-27-2006, 08:31 AM
My fav is PSP 9 or 10. Course it was the first and only software I leaned on and I don't have the patience when it comes to learning lol.

Bytemebabs
My fav is PSP 9 or 10. Course it was the first and only software I leaned on and I don't have the patience when it comes to learning lol.

Bytemebabs

Bytemebabs
04-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Bytemebabs

Bytemebabs

Bytemebabs

Bytemebabs

Bytemebabs
04-27-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't know what just happened but I apologize for the dup post. If anyone can delete them please do. I love PSP but not that much LOL :D

staigerman
04-27-2006, 10:11 AM
I now have the three you've mentioned Greg...of course I am a complete novice with these programs and just experimenting with them every day to see what they can do. But, they are fantastic! My current, and latest aquisition is Project Dogwaffle....it really is so much fun and I've only just scratched the surface of what that can do....my hat is off to these owner/creators..what a great tool for digital and traditional medium artists!:thumbsup:

In issue number 4 of Imagein FX magazine (from Futurenet publishing, makers of Computer Arts and 3Dworld magazines, also PC format, PC plus etc...) there is a multi-page tutorial on Project Dogwaffle by Martin Duerr, of www.Cybersign.de - if you have a subscription you'll get that issue in the coming days, or in the UK it should be out about now, and in the US and rest of world in the coming 4 weeks.

staigerman
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I like to try new stuff and lately, there has been 2 or 3 worth a try, Twisted Brush, Dogwaffle, and Artrage. I tried Dog today, but since it's so new, couldn't do anything cept look at the brushes. I don't think it has layers, does it? I talked to the owner of Twisted which is evolving dayly and he's going to put layers in, I think, such a treat to talk to a owner/ creator. greg

yes Dogwaffle does have layers, look in the Windows menu of Dogwaffle.

That's assuming you have the full version. VErsion 1.2 (the freeware version) does not have layers, except for the 2-"layer" system called the main and Swap buffers.

Note that these layers are mathematical ones, i.e. additive, mulktiplicative, etc.... no opaque layers. You can however compose effects like images over other images through the brush system, one of the best features in Dogwaffle is how you can work with custom brushes.

fugitive
04-28-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm so glad you have them and the requsite fun. You know what Gregs 3 P's are; Practice, practice, practice. and enjoy what your doing. Greg

beebluefern
04-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Good advice Greg....I will!

Mag
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys for a really informative (and long running)thread. As someone
who is a real babe in the woods when it comes to the ,ah, digital universe
you've all given me a lot to think about. In the next while I'm planning to buy a digital SLR, laptop, scanner and some fun photo and paint programs to run on it.
At least now I know where to start. I'm not sure I have the patience to to learn
programs that require a lot of studying :wink2: ....but I definitely need a good photo editor and I'm going to try some of the other programs as well!

prettytulips
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm in the market for buying my first software for digital art. What is Painter? In the poll it's listed as 'painter', but what is the total name of the software?

What is the difference between Painter and PSP?

Thanks!

staigerman
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Painter is the full name, if you are referring to the 'Mercedes Benz' of paint software, currently owned by Corel. It is also known as Corel Painter. www.corel.com

There is also Art Rage and Pixarra Twisted Brush, if you're looking for a few solutions to compare. And then there's also PD Pro Digital Painter, aka Project Dogwaffle, which is much more than a paint softyware. it is a also a powerful animation software.

www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle

For many other options in this area check the 'Other Paint tools' section in the Links page, http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/links/#otherpainttools

If you have time, try a few demo versions. Check pricing, compare galleries and user feedbacks. Ask questions.

prettytulips
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, I was just told by my boyfriend he is going to buy me both Photoshop and Dreamweaver 8 for managing an online site. I'm overwhelmed he is going to do this for me.... however, I had a budget for buying software myself....

If you had Photoshop, what other supplimental software would you want that photoshop doesn't give you? I'm so new to all this, I'm not sure how to compare...

Thanks for your advice!

Elvira
05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Painter would be my choice if you want to do fine art type painting. But it would seem a waste if you weren't interest in that,there would be little need for a supplmental program unless like me you find Photoshop a bit too much then I'd suggest Paintshop Pro as a bit more user friendly. There many freeware programs mentioned on this forum tha you may want to play with befor buying anything more at least until you have a better feel for what you need. PhotoShop and Painter both have a huge learning curves. If I had Photoshop and Painter would the only thing I'd add if I was planning on becoming profession be a good vector program (Ms Expression has some intersting possibilies http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/default.mspx) and the freeware viewer called Irfranview
Edie

Smokin
05-15-2006, 06:16 PM
So much to choose from tulip :D. Photoshop and dreamweaver is prob all you need. If you want do somthing specific with your site, you should point that out, cause that with change what suplimental software to recomend.

Like E said, painter is great for traditional painting style and experience, Illustrator is a good vector art program great for web designing. Flash is another great tool for webdesign.

Personally, for site design, id get flash as a suplimental. Its a toss up between it and illustrator, though i personaally dont like illustrator myself.

LilSerenity
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Painter for me, though Photoshop CS2 also has its strengths but mostly always Painter.

Some of my work is online at:

http://www.lilserenity.com/portfolio/paintings/paintings_home.html

My current piece of work is at http://www.lilserenity.com/HAFS.jpg (very large JPEG warning!)

Vicky

vic_6177
07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I use whatever it takes. I recently aquired Painter and I'm enjoying making paintings in Painter, but I am looking for a giclee printer that will take .jpgs and accept an e-mail of the files.

Chosen1
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I use adobe ps 7.0, the gimp, Sometimes I use maya but mostly I use Blender (www.blender3d.org) which is a free but very powerfull 3d Program. It all depends on what I am doing really.

-Christopher

jaxilyn
08-01-2006, 03:49 AM
I almost always use both PhotoShop and Painter. Painter's layer features can't hold a candle to PhotoShop's. I can hardly function if I can't "merge visible"! Fortunately, you can save Painter documents in a PhotoShop format.

On the Painter side, the brush handling capacity is incredible. It would be hard to do without either one!

Vasilenko
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Photoshop, but I like to use the other ones combining them with Photoshop, I like ArtRage, Photoshop plug-ins, Deep Paint and Corel Draw, still have Art Dabbler, it's nice too.

oil bane
10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Blender Blender Blender
and wings 3d, silo, gimp, python cg programming in 3d and 2d pygl, pygame, blender

edart
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, whenever I get into "3D mode" I spend days and days doing neat stuff and never actually finish anything. ( Well, not never, but close enough. :) )

Ditto!

I Love photoshop but also use Artweaver because I love the blending tool!:cool:

I've tried Zbrush but cant get my head around how it works!

Would love to try Painter only I ran a demo of it and my pc crashed:rolleyes: :eek:

I adore Bryce and it's so much easier to use and runs better than Vue.:thumbsup:

Bytemebabs
10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Paint Shop Pro versions 8 thru X. I think anything after that, Corel is promoting it as a photo software. I do not do photo manips, paint overs, etc and regret they have given (originally Jacs) PSP such a "down play" for it's painting capabilities. Sigh...

subs
10-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I use photoshop at the beginning and now use both photoshop and painter combo.

bluemoonstar
10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been using Adobe illustrator for about 4 years now. I draw every day, so I've logged a humungous # of hours on it. I use PS mainly just to edit photos for use in AI. I know I'm probably under-utilizing PS, but I get frustrated trying to figure out the "how tos" in it. I'm hope to learn alot through this site. Looks like there's enough to keep me busy for a long time!;) I had no idea there were so many programs out there!

botanica
11-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I have been a Corel user since Corel3 and just love this user friendly software, especially when Photopaint came along.I have tried Photoimpact,PSP Microsft draw and Photoshop but still prefer the Corel Software. Having tried the latest version of PSP, I found it very slow and far too many clicks to get what you want. Now I am into Painter IX and so far have loved every thing aboout it. It really is a very versatile medium to work with.

Selahs art
12-01-2006, 03:59 PM
I started on small program I cannot even remember the name,
then Coreldraw 11 with photopaint included, now working on Adobe photoshop 6 and gimp too. Find them nice to use all together.

Retha

laslov
01-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

there's a software called Poser Figure Artist that is specifically created for artist and povides photorealistic posable figures, poses, garments, etc. to replace "woody" the mannequin.
Check it out at www.e-frontier.com/go/pfa

Laslov

green tea
01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Photoshop 7, because It's the only one I have other than Artrage 2. Oh wait, I also have Painter 4 (dang that's old) but don't see the need to buy the upgrade, since I never use it. I like photoshop, I'm a shop-a-holic.

Mayymma
01-23-2007, 02:46 AM
So far (I've only been digi-ing since late June) I love ArtRage,Wizardbrush,Dogwaffle,GIMP,Apophysis(I love fractals!)Twisted brush,and PhotoMagix. And whatever I decide to try from download.com

Waltzzz
01-23-2007, 06:49 AM
I like ArtRage for natural media emulation, particularly pencil & pastel.

azipofwhisky
01-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Photoshop and Maya!

However, maya costs a lots and lots of money and I was only able to use it during my years working at the university.

I've been using Photoshop since the first versions got out so I feel most familiar with that program.

azipofwhisky
01-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Removed duplicate

guillot
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I Have PaintShop Pro 8, Corel Draw/Paint 9, Adobe Photoshop 2.0, and a wacom tablet (graphire board). I wish I knew how to better use them. I've been wondering around the forum reading up, and I'm amazed at you guys and girls work in this forum.

Tina

H2O
02-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator, Cinema 4D. Btw, I don't understand why there aren't any vector applications on the list. :confused:

ClaireCreations
03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Hello.
I'm new here on Wetcanvas. Saw this thread and thought I'd browse through it.
I use Photoshop 7 and like it. I also have Paint Shop Pro, but don't use it much.
Now a question.
I used to have a version of Painter that came with the Wacom tablet I purchased several years ago. I recently upgraded by computer and my Painter program won't work on it. The tablet works, but not Painter.
I've looked around, but can't find this program anywhere. Corel seems to have stopped making it. It had a lot of neat features I liked to play with.

Does anyone know where I can get this program? Please e-mail me privately if you do. [email protected]

Thanks

ClaireCreations
03-03-2007, 10:15 PM
There are lots of features in PhotoShop7 that I have no idea how to use. Vectors and paths are two. Any hints?

Digitaldiva
03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I prefer photoshop (currently using CS2) and Illustrator.
I got certified in both a few years ago.
I switch between using my Wacom and my mouse depending on what I am doing.
Photoshop has greatly improved for doing digital art. I like using my own brushes for texture.

I've never used Maya - what exactly is the program - 2D or 3D?

cheers,
~DD

TMeeks
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I use Photoshop CS2, with Genuine Fractals, for serious photoprocessing.

But, I prefer to use Ulead's PhotoImpact for the bulk of my drawing and quick post processing of 'snapshots'. Their EasyPalette and Object Layering concepts make the program very easy and versatile.

Outside of photo retouching, the bulk of my imaging is related to supporting video projects edited in Vegas. I use another Ulead product called Cool 3D Production Studio for animating titles and video lead-ins. It also uses the EasyPalette concept and is extremely easy to use. I'm now working on a short video animation for my 5 year-old granddaughter entirely in Cool 3D. Porpoises will bounce the individual letters of the Happy Birthday message into place. When I finish it, I'll try to remember to post a link.

Cool3D does not create 3D objects very well. So, for that I have come to love using Cosmic Blobs and CB Model Pro, both by Solidworks. They are very easy to use and enormous fun. I've also got Mudbox and it's on my list to learn; but, I've been spending so much time with CB Model Pro that I'm behind with Mudbox. Each of the blogs in my signature has some tutorials related to their product focus. The Cosmic Blobs tutorials are the most complete and just about all of those tutorials also apply, with some differences in interface elements, to CB Model Pro. The basic techniques are the same.

I've downloaded most of the free and low-cost 3D packages and do not like the interfaces of any of them. It's obvious that they are written by technical people, not artists. They can do what I want; but, not the way I prefer to do it. CB Model Pro is the exception and it is free while the beta is in progress, which will be for some time.

TMeeks
03-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I prefer photoshop (currently using CS2) and Illustrator.
I got certified in both a few years ago.
I switch between using my Wacom and my mouse depending on what I am doing.
Photoshop has greatly improved for doing digital art. I like using my own brushes for texture.

I've never used Maya - what exactly is the program - 2D or 3D?

cheers,
~DD

Maya is a relatively expensive (but very capable) 3D Modeling Program. Like Photoshop CS2, it's probably the big tool on the block. If you haven't dived into 3D as yet and want to have some fun with it at no expense, download the CB Model Pro beta (http://www.cbmodelpro.com)(Free). It is absolutely the easiest way to begin experimenting in 3D. When you register it, it remains free after the normal 14 day period. If you have children, you might also look at Cosmic Blobs (http://www.cosmicblobs.com)and have some fun together.

I probably sound like a broken record; but, these two Solidworks programs are the most fun I've had with digital imaging since my first digital imaging system some 25+ years ago. (My first digital imaging/animation system was the Datamax UV-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datamax_UV-1) in 1980.)

TMeeks
03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I Have PaintShop Pro 8, Corel Draw/Paint 9, Adobe Photoshop 2.0, and a wacom tablet (graphire board). I wish I knew how to better use them. I've been wondering around the forum reading up, and I'm amazed at you guys and girls work in this forum.

Tina

And, I'm pretty amazed at your oils! Very nice!

[EDIT]

No...wait... I've taken a look at the subsequent pages... I'm amazed at ALL your work! :clap:

Deliciae
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I love Painter. It all just came very intuitive for me the moment I got it, while for two years I struggled with Photoshop brushes. I guess I never really figured out those filters and such, and Painter lets me approach a digital painting in a way that my brain naturally 'gets'. But, I don't like how it makes things look sharper than they truly are, and I wouldn't resize or save a final web file in it. I keep my line arts and any technical needs with Photoshop. I really depend on both for my digital work.

TMeeks
03-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I use another Ulead product called Cool 3D Production Studio for animating titles and video lead-ins. It also uses the EasyPalette concept and is extremely easy to use. I'm now working on a short video animation for my 5 year-old granddaughter entirely in Cool 3D. Porpoises will bounce the individual letters of the Happy Birthday message into place. When I finish it, I'll try to remember to post a link.

Cool3D does not create 3D objects very well. So, for that I have come to love using Cosmic Blobs and CB Model Pro, both by Solidworks. They are very easy to use and enormous fun.

I promised a link to a short animation that I did in COOL 3D for my granddaughter's 5th birthday.

COOL3D ANIMATION (1 minute 10 Seconds) (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/TMeeks/Friends/?action=view&current=Eliana15fps.flv)

It took several hours to complete.

GeoBen
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Most of the replies here have been about PixMap apps... no one is much using vector apps aside from Illustrator. I use Xara (though I also have Freehand MX) and i really think it is unsurpassed.

I collect the pixmap freebies, including many mentioned herein, but my favorite so far is DeepPaint which i use to paint the vector drawings.

anyway, I am including a vector stilllife WIP. When it is finished, there will be a dPainted version and I will post that also.

geo.

sir_real
03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I love me some painter. However, for 3d work it's Blender for finetuning/rendering with Silo for a modeling and sculpting. Gosh, I love silo...it's just unfortunate that there aren't that many good (see also: cheap) renderers out there for a PC platform like Cheetah is for a Mac. I love blender with all my heart...it just takes so long!

wrangler
03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
'No money no honey' currently Im 'up the creek' stuck with PSP 7 and an older computer,it's extremely challenging situation.

barryt
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I promised a link to a short animation that I did in COOL 3D for my granddaughter's 5th birthday.

COOL3D ANIMATION (1 minute 10 Seconds) (http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/TMeeks/Friends/?action=view&current=Eliana15fps.flv)

very cool! I like that

GoldCoin
04-14-2007, 03:30 PM
"COOL3D ANIMATION (1 minute 10 Seconds)"

Sure worth your time & effort!!! She should be thrilled!!:clap: :clap:

Mr Burning
04-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I use Photoshop CS, Illustrator, GIMP, Inkscape, and Artrage2.

I have also just downloaded Apophysis for Fractal generation.

Generally I work from an illustration which I rough out then plan what I want to acomplish then use the relevant package.

LadyAlba
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM

That is so darling I bet she loved it! :thumbsup: :wave:

Ted D.
05-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Check out Pixarra.

Hobbyman73
06-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi, I am a relative newbie, when it comes to painting, so I started out with Gimp 2. I could not afford some of the more popular programs, but I found Pixarra's Twisted Brush. I bought the lifetime download, and so far they have added about two upgrades. The instructions are very good, and they have just about everything you could ask for. They offer a free evaluation download. I was lucky, and received a Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 Tablet, as a gift. Just thought I would add my choice, as a newbie. I think WC, is a great site, and I am having lots of fun with it. It will be quite a while before I am ready to show what I have done so far. Thank you all for your imput. It is a great help. I am waiting for my WN water colors to arrive, and then I will get going.

guillot
07-02-2007, 06:44 PM
And, I'm pretty amazed at your oils! Very nice!

[EDIT]

No...wait... I've taken a look at the subsequent pages... I'm amazed at ALL your work! :clap:

Hi TMeeks - thank you!! That's very kind. I love the oils - just can't get a grip on the digital art stuff though. I'm so amazed at everything people are able to create with these programs!! Sorry for the overdue response (sometimes life does get in the way :) )

Tina

raytrace
07-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Lightwave - user friendly and powerful 3D app

Photoshop - for design and concept.

HRSG
07-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Bryce, Poser, Terragen, PSP, Xara3D, SwishMax, all Macromedia products and Tierzon. :)

artesplasticas
07-24-2007, 05:56 AM
I've been using Photoshop, although also use Paint Shop Pro for a few things, but I can't vote because until now, I didn't try other ones.

Dagger414
07-24-2007, 07:01 AM
I also voted for "depends on what project I'm doing", but I seem to find myself using photoshop and 3dStudio Max regularly.

bigun975
07-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I almost always use photoshop for painting, but Painter does certainly have a nice media-simulation engine ready made. Id like to spend more time with painter tho. Learning curve seems steep.

Lorri
08-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Although Photoshop appears to be the standard in digital art, it is not easily affordably. I have tried it's poor cousin, "Phototshop Elements," but can't use most of the tutorials. Don't tell me to use Paint Shop Pro, I have a Mac and Corel is not Mac friendly.

cakey1
09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2007/115561-ex1.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to this forun and digital art. Can anyone please give me some advice on creating art like the image here from youareart.? I love their work and would like to have a go myself. Do you need digital tablets? I have Photoshop7 but so far only use it for photos and have easy access to other software.

Thanks for any advice.

Smokin
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Cakey, you'll prob get a better response if you make a new thread containing the same question, but Ill give it a shot to answer that question.

Do you need a tablet? No, a tablet is a great tool and it certainly help the art process feel more natural and speed things up, but alot can be done without one, especially what you are seeing.

There is prob a nmber of ways that you can get to an image like this, but here is the road I would chose:

This is part vector work, part filter work, and part photo.
First I would duplicate the image onto a new layer ,use a median filter and follow that up with a posterize filter. Adjusting setting will give you varing results, but the point is to minimize the amount of colors present and to block them in together VS Just posterizeing which will scatter the effect. In corel its a woodcut filter, and photshop may have a filter that combines those steps as well, but I dont know them all.

Next I would erase the nose on the top layer so the original nose shows through.

Last would be to use the pen tool to draw in/redraw/or accentuat whatever, like eye highlights or wisps of hair, ect. This image has a considerable amount of vector work done in the wisps of hair, one might even argue that everything cept the nose was done with the pen tool, but I personally doubt that.

It may be easier to desaturate the image into Black and white and seperate colors by values VS Colors, just depends though. Once posterized, its easy to take the paint bucket tool and color these in your way.

Flatten image, save, and call it done.

zoozyq
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
My vote is for Corel Painter. With it, I can create sophisticated or simple paintings from scratch anywhere, anytime--all the media and brushes can be available in my backpack and there's no mess. After I bought a Wacom tablet, which I use with a MacBook Pro, I invested in the full version of Painter IX.5. Creating my own brushes and palettes is a big plus, but Painter has endless possibilities for creativity within its many features. I like doing the design work for traditional materials art, too, as I find that it frees me up to let my creative juices flow. I'm still finding my way through Painter's complexities, and I stumble a bit now and then, but that's nothing new in the world of art for an experimental painter. Now I can just hit the undo or delete the layer and go on from there. ;-)

zoozyq
09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Smokin, I visited your website today--am I impressed by the presentation of your art, as well as the art intself! It's inspiring!

Linda/Zoozyq
http://web.mac.com/zoozyq

cakey1
09-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks Smokin,

All you said seems to work ok. Just not used to using the pen tool.

Cakey1

Smokin
09-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Thank you so much Zoo, you know one of these days Ill have to finish that darn site and work out those lil bugs :P.

Cakey glads its working. The pen tool takes a lil getting used to, I would suggest familurizing yourself with the shortcut keys for the pen tools and keep in mind with vectors, less points are usually better. Anytime you get too many points going it gets hard to make a fluid shape. I usually try to keep a "C" Curve down to 3 point, the beging, mid, and end. If I can just two.

Shift/alt/ctrl/shift+alt, all do somthing different with points, i forget what(been a while since i vectored anything), but its part of all the shortcutting and making a better workflow.

wrangler
09-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I use Photoshop only. I used PSP in the beginning but it didn't have the capabilities that pshop has, for me. If you don't need the extra plugins and such PSP is a great digital software to use and a lot less expensive and less system intrusive for sure!:cat:
I'm as well,version 7.Maybe 'Photoshop' is the best,However it cost too much(and 'beggers can't be chosers),Quite frankly I need ' Dell '.etc.but 'No money,no honey'.Besides 'How could I fly like an eagle,if I'm stuck here in S. Calif. with the local turkeys'?!.and cost of subsisting is uncontrolled?!.

Rage of Reason
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
CorelDRAW, PhotoPaint, trueSpace and now trying to learn Maya.

davehay
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I use photoshop and maya. Maya is cool becuse it can actually read invidual layers of a photoshop file...

Waltzzz
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I use Corel X, ArtRage 2.5, and sometimes Paint (windows little app!), and I find I use ACDsee and Invranview for post production editing that I know how to do there rather than in Corel, or Photoshop.

I have never tried TwistedBrush, it had trouble loading on my Tablet PC, and then the trial expired etc. Do you think it would add to my repetoire? What does it add?

wrangler
10-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Estimado Senor Javier Gonzalez!.Buenos Dias,o Buenas Tardes,o Buenas noches!
Prefiero Adobe's Photoshop,Pero el precio de a esse programa grafica de Computadore hay muy caro,y aqui vivimos 'los pobrecitos de la tierra de aqui'' con muy poquitito de dinero ,no hay bastante dinero por a compra este programa (? recuerda usted?:!los precios hay muy caros)!.
Dear Mr. Javier Gonzales!Good morning, afternoon.or evening.
I prefers Adobe's 'Photoshop',but (however)The price of this Computer Graphic (CG) Software program is very expensive.and here live ' the local poors of the earth' with very little money not enough money to buy this CG
(Remember?,the price is very expensive)!.
y por esso raizon,usado muy viejo version numero 7 (Siete) de Paint Shop Pro,?Quien programa grafica usted tiena a su computador?.
And for that reason, I use very old version number 7 of Paint Shop Pro.
What(which) CG program you have in your computer?.Espero ,mas beuno (mejor) de mi!(I hope more good,better, then me)!.
La gente de aqui estamos muy contente con la cancion 'De colores'
The local folks We are very happy with the song 'Of colors',!(es hymno de nosotros/that's our hymn)!.
Si usted puede mire (if you could see),por mi (for me) a este tiempo(at this time) es bastante buena programa grafica de computador(is good enough CG program).!No tengo mas problemas! (I've no much problems)!,A Frances digamos (in French we say) :'Ce la vie' (es la vida) Thaat's life o (or) 'La vie en Rose'!(La vida en Rosa) The life in Rossy colors!. ! Buena Suerte a uste,y mucha salud!. Good luck for you ,and a lot of health,y feliz,tam bien.and also happiness!.
(!olvido!I forgot, Tengo programas libres incluye I've free CGs inc.'Twisted brush')

ichadwick
10-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I use several programs, depending on what end result I want. I use Paint Shop Pro X2 for day to day tweaking images and resetting balance, contrast, colour, etc., as well as for some effects (like its handy colour changer). I like PSP but some of the effects/features are slow or lack fine adjustments.

I use Corel's Photopaint as the bitmap editor when using Corel Draw - it's a good program that's generally overlooked by the art community. It's pretty robust.

I use Painter or Painter Essentials 4 when I want to change a digital photo into digital artwork. PE4 is great for fast, fun photo-to-art makeovers, and it's easier to use than Painter right out of the box.

And I sometimes still use ol' Picture Publisher because I like some of its built-in effects better than similar ones in other programs.

IrishRose
10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
It's good to see someone else that is using PE4. Just got the program last week and looked through the video tutorials by John Derry and it blew me away! It looks a whole lot like Painter X but without so much "stuff"... I have used it and it is very easy to get around, not a lot of fumbling to find the right brush or the right color. My vote is for ArtRage 2.5 and PE4! :)

V-ger
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
I've always liked Photoshop the best because of it's versatility. Has anyone ever tried Fractal Design? It's an awesome program, high learning curve. I still haven't figured it all out.

Jin
11-01-2007, 08:14 AM
V-ger,

Fractal Design was the original company that created and released the first version of Fractal Design Painter in 1991. The company later became Metacreations. Then in Spring 2000, Corel purchased Painter and some other Metacreations graphics programs.

Since Corel purchased Painter, they've released the Painter 6.1 patch, Painter 7 and 7.1, Painter 8 and 8.1, Painter IX, IX 9.1 and IX.5, and Painter X and X.1 the current version.

So whenever you see someone talking about Painter or Corel Painter, that's the program that started out as Fractal Design Painter.

Yes, many of us use Corel Painter. I've been using it since my first purchase of Fractal Design 4 and currently have six full Painter versions installed, plus three "lite" Painter versions (the software that comes bundled with Wacom tablets).

Take a look through the Digital Art forum and you'll see a lot of Painter work. For starters, look for work done by JCoop. I think he uses Corel Painter exclusively for his paintings, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

It takes a long time to "figure it all out" when it comes to Painter. Actually, I've never met anyone in all the 12 years I've used the program who can honestly say they know everything about Painter. That's a good part of what makes it so much fun to use. There's always something new to discover.

What version do you have, by the way?

Jin

ichadwick
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
It's good to see someone else that is using PE4. Just got the program last week and looked through the video tutorials by John Derry and it blew me away! It looks a whole lot like Painter X but without so much "stuff"... I have used it and it is very easy to get around, not a lot of fumbling to find the right brush or the right color. My vote is for ArtRage 2.5 and PE4! :)

I agree. I've been very impressed with PE4 and getting moreso by the day as I use it. Figured out how to tweak the XML files a bit too, so change some of the autobrush effects. Didn't like the final effect with the heavy lines in some autobrush styles. Now they're gone!

gringog
11-01-2007, 06:56 PM
phew please, is there anything else? gotta be Photoshop

dk_art
11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
My favourites are Painter 8 , PhotoImpact and XaraX...

I also like Expression 3 which was originally by Creature House but now is owned by Microsoft. It has amazing vector "watercolour" and other natural media strokes making it fairly unique for editing natural media looking designs.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/

Now Microsoft has it and the price is much more!

gzairborne
11-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Art Rage 2.5. and Photoshop. Would have been great to include AR 2.5 on the list just to see how it would have done in the ratings.

fawnridge-art
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
I use Photoshop CS. Have Illustrator, just haven't tried it yet, but with the comments I've seen, I need to learn and play with it also. Want to look into painter and art rage also to see if there is any benefit to add to my collection or stay. PS has been very good to me.

jnfaulk
11-19-2007, 01:45 AM
my favorite software for creating digital images would be photoshop as far as manipulation and image altering, photoshop allows for the widest spectrum of possibilities. At times, illustrator by adobe allows for different creations

Dan Byers
11-20-2007, 09:43 AM
The one I love that's not on this list is POV-Ray, a free raytracer you can get at http://povray.org. It's what I use to make my computer-animated movies. For the traditional hand-drawn stuff, I dig Painter.

wrangler
11-29-2007, 03:09 AM
The one I love that's not on this list is POV-Ray, a free raytracer you can get at http://povray.org. It's what I use to make my computer-animated movies. For the traditional hand-drawn stuff, I dig Painter.This raytracer work on commands,recetly they bought Moray 3.3 3D wirerframe style,updated newer version is costly.

GraphiteGrunt
11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Always Used Photoshop in the past. Starting now to learn Painter. Looks like photoshop has come along way to simulating alot of brushe types and effects. takes a bit of know-how, but its there if you know how to work it.

Materialrainbow
12-11-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't do any art on the computer yet. Working with the mouse to me is a little bit difficult. I rather the old fashion way! :) If anyone can suggest me on someway of working on these programs. I would love to try some abstract art out. I tried some on photoflitre earlier, but it just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

coolray
12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't do any art on the computer yet. Working with the mouse to me is a little bit difficult. I rather the old fashion way! :) If anyone can suggest me on someway of working on these programs. I would love to try some abstract art out. I tried some on photoflitre earlier, but it just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

If you would like to work in programs on the computer, to create digital art, then buy yourself a pen and tablet made for the computer. Wacom makes a fine tablet with pen, and mouse. I think you will enjoy this set up more than you could ever imagine!

cesart
12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Corel Painter hands down, I bought Photoshop 6 and threw it away. Why, cause my PSP 8 is all that, and I just blew my money.
There is absolutely nothing in existence today or probably in the future that even comes close to Painter. If there were, I would be owning it. I think maybe some just dont hang in with it long enough to find out it's true power. I use it professionally everyday and it has expanded my business by leaps and bounds.
However; it depends on what you "need" from a program. I also found paint shop pro to be everything photoshop is, except a third of the price. Though some have to believe that if its not Photoshop, then they're not a professional. I also have a partner who uses photoshop for her work and anything she can do, so can I. To me art is not a competition but an expression and I happen to like many different styles.
So it realy just depends on what YOU really need. For me, I couldnt pay my bills without Corel Painter, obvisiously my vote. :thumbsup:

draw_thru
01-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop are my go-to workhorses. Nothing else even comes close to approaching what these two offer the digital artist! I've seen some incredible art created with other software packages as well, but for me, it's Painter and Photoshop!

devs66
01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I had to say other - While I use photoshop - My goto is really Gimp, on the modeling side - Daz3d, Bryce 6.1, Hexigon 2.2, Blender 2.4.1, mixed Linux and windows programs and plugins.

addphan
01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
painter

dhawk
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm just getting past Photoshop, which I've been 'using' for several years but only recently getting deeper than PSP would have taken me.

Right now I'm auditioning ArtRage, Project Dogwaffle, ArtWeaver and Twistedbrush. I like that the last 3 all interact in one way or another to make an Uber package!

driedpaint
03-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Has anybody played with ArcSoft Photo 5.5
Maybe this is an old program, but works much like Painter and PS.

CMMH_Holbein
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Photoshop and Illustrator all the way!!!

mrstarstuff
03-07-2008, 02:58 AM
I like ArtWeaver because you can choose to work in various predefined media, including: chalk, pastel, oil pastel, oil paint, charcoal, pencil, acrylic, watercolor,etc.; then choose many adjustable 'brushes' within those media(such as pencil grades, etc.) PaintShop Pro 8 does not offer this.
I think Twisted Brush would be the best, but only the "Pro" version, and it's $120 (ArtWeaver is freeware)
I'm sure Painter is top dog, but too rich for me!(ditto Photoshop)

John

Stimpy
03-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi all,
i couldn't resist to show you a screenshot from my
favorit painting-tool Artrage. This amazing
paintware gives me a lot fun and a natural feeling
while painting.
The Link to Artrage:
http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragefeatures.html

Happy painting, Stimpy:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2008/128138-landscape.jpg

misu
04-08-2008, 06:36 AM
I use Twistedbrush,its my first one as i am new to this type of art form,I have found it to be very user friendly with value for money I have the painter trial as well,but Twistedbrush in comparision for the cost is exceptional ,and there is a 60day free trial , and has a great gallery.
Tracy

harryman
05-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Freeform - it has force feedback so you can feel the piece while working on it, it's great for sculpting. It's weird, but since you can feel what you are doing, after a few minutes it no longer seems a digital medium, it's just sculpting.

Waltzzz
05-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Freeform looks interesting - I am following up.

I want to mention ArtRage 2 again. I see the popularity of Photoshop and Corel are tops, and rightly so as they do so much. But in the more specific area of digital sketching ArtRage 2 is pretty amazing. Ease of use helps with free flowing creativity, but try the Blend option on layers, the Stencils for gradients etc, and make some stencils to use on an image, these are things that can't be done other programs as far as I know. Transform layer content is also quite potent.

ScottF
05-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Iīve played around with many of the biggies, but for sheer joy of use ArtRage2 is by far the best for me. It doesnīt offer as many bells and whistles as the others, but you can be up and painting almost immediately. The paid version is only $25. Itīs incredible what it offers for so little cost.

No, I donīt work for them--Iīm just a happy painter because of them.

Waltzzz
05-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't work for them either!

When it comes to bells & whistles though it has some. Like the ruler, a work of art!

I saw it & was amazes at the innovation. The iPhone of digital rulers!

Milo
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I use Carrara 6 Pro, Daz Studio, Hexagon, Bryce 6.1 (all from Daz3d.com) add to that Photoshop / Painter. Another free program I use sometimes is Paint.net depending on which system I am on.

uilleanngirl
05-24-2008, 05:38 AM
I started with Seashore last summer, then tried GIMP and Photoshop before settling firmly on Painter X a couple weeks ago. I love it, I love the way it works, I can do what I want to do with it... ah, it's nice. I've only had it a couple of weeks and already I see a huge improvement in my digital work, just because I like the program so much. :heart:

loft artist
05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi All
I use one program not mentioned Micrografx picture Publisher a Full free version with one of the computer mags easiest program to use more features than Photoshop ...would recomend it to anyone and totally free and legal.
John

Dallen
05-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Adobe Photshop 7, but, wish I had Photoshop CS

MaloCS
05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I voted for "Photoshop" and "Some other that you havent written in here". The other being Adobe Illustrator.

galy
06-10-2008, 05:22 PM
I like Flash. Probably the minority since the program is used traditionally for animating.

gogowet
06-13-2008, 05:18 AM
PS is the best

carolynpainting
07-02-2008, 04:37 AM
I miss Dabbler. I loved the tool drawers that slid in and out so your screen is not cluttered with toolboxes, and you can always see all of the drawing space.
Thats what irritates me about Artrage that the corners are covered though the program is good.
I use Painter for creating and Photoshop for final crops and edit tweaks.

Aldrin
07-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Microsoft Paint

Aaron Mendelsohn
07-06-2008, 03:36 AM
i cant believe Corel Painter isnt in the poll!!

anyways I use a combo of Corel Painter and PhotoshopCS3.. you can achieve ANYTHING with these two programs... corel painter is absolutely amazing at reproducing natural media.

Aldrin
07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
i cant believe Corel Painter isnt in the poll!!

And we can't believe that you don't see Painter as #3 in the list hehe

WILBEE
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Where or how can I learn how to use Photoshop Elements 6 easily - without reading a huge manuel?

Thanks

Bev