PDA

View Full Version : favourite software for digital art

Pages : 1 [2]

mathomas
07-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I use ArtRage. $25 and worth easily 10x the price. They have a free, limited version, but at this price there's no reason not to just buy it. There's no way I could justify Painter X's price after using ArtRage. I've found that it performs better than Painter X. ArtRage doesn't have nearly the feature set of the other natural media tools, but I consider that a good thing.

Netqueen
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I use Painter X and am learning alot with various tutorials on DVD and some online classes at Digital Art Academy. I also use Photoshop.

Waltzzz
07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Matomas,

While I agree about the feature set, I want to add that ArtRage 2 has some features that are not found in Corel Painter X. Also that there is a lot of functionality in the Blend and tranform layer options.

One thing I miss is the fill bucket, or is there one somewhere in ArtRage 2?

mathomas
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Walter -- No fill bucket as of 2.5. They recommend the use of the roller, layers, and stencils. Maybe they will address it in the next major release.

DeBro
08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I can't afford the high priced programs. ArtRage, Inkscape, and The Gimp will do me just fine.

GeoBen
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I own a lot, but many are 'support' and the particular product is less important. I use PSP for compiling and 'adjusting' images but not much else. i have used Gimp for the same thing and could use PS... any of them will work.

I Draw using Xara XP and paint with Painter. I started with Corel, but Xara is smaller faster and lots less expensive. I also use a variety of 3D apps for things that i simply find i cannot draw... flowers for instance, are very difficult.

i have several painting programs and i use whichever has the feature set that i want most, mostly painter because it reads and writes PS files with transparency allowing me to create images in a natural, traditional way using layers of single color and then painting in that color, blending as needed.

OH and a very valuable freebie for preproduction... Irfanview.

geo.

dhawk
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm curious whether anyone has tried Dog Waffle or Artweaver (sorry, didn't read ALL the back posting)? Both are cheap or free and have some powerful abilities, including the lovely image hose.

loft artist
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
So more than half of all voters were using other than photoshop!... and PSP which you can get free , myself I use a 10 year old freebie that came with a computer mag ,MicrografX a superb program that has stood me in good stead for ages ......and I'll always use it . The point is everyone's different we'll always use our favourite programs and dabble in all the rest .

barsha
08-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I have a query. Do you all use pen mouse?

Jin
08-13-2008, 03:12 AM
I have a query. Do you all use pen mouse?

I use a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet and the stylus (pen) that came with it.... for everything I do on my computer.

The Wacom Intuos 2 tablet also came with a mouse but I never use it. The mouse is not even plugged into my computer, just sits on top collecting dust.

#

benesound
08-13-2008, 04:03 AM
I use Pixarra TwistedBrush, and I love it!

I've got Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I rarely use it. IMO, Compared to TwistedBrush it's not very user friendly.

noodle1
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi, usually hang around acrylics but I love drawing and painting on the computer as well. I use Painter IX and on occasion Photoshop. I use the Wacom Tablet, Intuos3 12x12, use a stylus. Been using Painter since the beginning and I love it.

Elaine

dddiam
08-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Moderator,

There is a lot of good information spread throughout this thread.

What I would find quite useful would be a document that lists each of the software programs (once), with comments by various users about that piece of software.

What would be the best WetCanvas site feature to create and gradually populate such a list?

- David D.

gaston
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I use painter x and photoshop,but i love painterx,the reason is it give me a greater feeling of art. I have now a new toy a wacon tablet Intuos 3 for my birthday,and must find it out how it work. You know what, I have the feeling that it expanded my digital art. I ame a traditional artist(waterpaint)
But I loved to play with the toys.
Gaston Kansas city

Hisart
08-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I use PSE2 almost exclusively. I do have blender, gimp, and corel(?) but they just don't do it for me.

Agito
09-12-2008, 02:08 AM
I use Photshop CS2 (and the previous PS7) and sometimes Corel Painter X for my Wacom Graphire...

itchydenico
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
i have no idea, i'd like to try them all

Nate
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
"Digital" art covers a whole spectrum...

Sometimes, I use all the programs to get the results.
I rarely use only one program.
It depends on my client's needs, and the way I decide to approach a project.

For paintings/illustrations like these, I use both Painter and PhotoShop:

http://www.nateowens.com/images/illustration/toons/JerryOrbach.png http://www.nateowens.com/images/illustration/regular/Christmas.jpg

For art of a technical nature like these, I can use Poser (3d), Hexagon, Rhino (3d), Carrara (3d), PhotoShop and Painter:

http://www.nateowens.com/images/illustration/regular/TimeEternal.jpg http://www.nateowens.com/images/animation/VaultCutaway.jpg

For some of the animated things, I might use all of the above and Vegas Movie Studio, Flash, Sound Forge and others:

http://origin.augusta.com/masters/multimedia/projects/hole14/

http://www.nateowens.com/howto_tips/Pirate/Pirate.htm

This question is sort of like which brush do you use or which pencil...
For me, I pick the one that fits the project.

JR08
10-12-2008, 12:16 AM
I use Photoshop a lot. I also use Illustrator. Doesn't anyone else?
Jeri

gigih
11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
for painting I use Psp the most you can paint and adjust all at the same time plus you get to use layers. (photoshop is about the same but I can't afford it)
I've also tried twisted brush (great colors)
Painter (just learning it so no comment yet)
I've used dogwaffle and artweaver also they're free and definitely worth checking out.

For 3d work which I'm doing the most lately,
I'll start in Bryce,(also avail free), to get my landscaping and skies in .
then use Daz3d (also free, sort of a free poser) this is for the characters,human animal etc.
put them into the bryce scene and render.
when done I always do a little tweaking in PSP.
Also for fractals, I started using fractal explorer (free program) which is very good, but have since switched to Ultra fractal.

JPQ
09-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Paul Nolans Photogenics 1.2a and Photogenics 4 ? (i dont rember what is last version) for AmigaOS and TecSoft VideoPaint for AmigaOS. and Personal Paint 7.1 for AmigaOS. But currently i running first two on MorphOS (in Pegasos2) with emulation.I Know these are old ones but somehow i like them more than Photoshop etc. one reason i dont know how i can invert brightness
or rotate hue i know at least last on its maybe easy. but PhotoShop its very complex program looked in somewhere with version 5 and i think its now even more complex. and PhotoShop its very pricey but i maybe still buy Photoshop and Paintter in someday. I mainly today use Windows.:( (sad becouse i dont like and i still can make all what i want my other computers classic Amiga 1200 with expansions (graphics,audio,ethernet and memory and prosessor) and Pegasos2).

artefly
09-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Yoyita I looked at your web site and your work is amazing.

artefly

artefly
09-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I use Photoshop to edit photos. I haven't tried digital art but now I have seen all your amazing work I want to find beginner tutorials for digital art painting.

artefly

MaloCS
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I use Photoshop to edit photos. I haven't tried digital art but now I have seen all your amazing work I want to find beginner tutorials for digital art painting.

artefly

Ha ha ha. You caught the bug! :thumbsup:

Along with tutorials just jump in and start painting. I've found the best way to learn what the software can do is to not worry about subject matter when you're starting out. Find a photograph you like and start painting over it with the brush tool. After a while you'll get the hang of painting digitally and you'll move on to creating your own subjects from scratch.

When I was in art school our professors would have us paint simple objects so we could get the hang of the medium. For example, we would take a canvas and section it off in 6 panels with masking tape. Then we would paint a sphere or cube in each of the 6 panels with different mediums. This exercise was intended for us to learn the subtle nuances between the different mediums without getting bogged down in the subject matter we were painting.

:thumbsup:

Paul Darby
09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
The GIMP...Graphical Image Mimipluation Program. The best part, it's free!

Eduardo Flores
10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Great programs for fractal creation are Ultrafractal and Fractal Explorer.

Eduardo

moondancer79
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I mainly use Gimp but also use inkscape and blender on occasion as well.

PainterlyGirl
11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Has anyone here tried Poser or Daz for 3D art? Just curious. I'm a digital newbie as you can see. I've painted on canvas for years, but now want to explore the digital world a bit more.

Thanks
Sandy

Nate
11-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Painterly Girl...
Neither of those are about painting, but for doing 3d work. You will need to take a look at Photoshop, Painter, Sketchbook Pro for digital painting. I use Poser mostly as artists used to use those wooden mannikens to get poses, angles, compositions figured out - not for final work. Some do use them for finished art, but they are not really 'painting' in the sense you were doing on canvas - like the other software programs are. You can see some of these examples at my site if you care to drop by.

These are a combo of poser/Rhino (3d)/Photoshop =
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9illustration/serious/TimeEternal.jpg
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9illustration/serious/BestBrightest.jpg

These (illustrations) were painted, using Photoshop and Painter
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9illustration/serious/Indiana_Jones_Cover.jpg
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9illustration/fun/Cowpoke.jpg
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9illustration/fun/OldHorse.jpg

I'm planning on getting into some actual painting (as opposed to illustration) like these from long ago that are traditional oils/acrylics, but will be doing the new stuff digitally...
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9gallery/bandits.jpg
http://www.nateowens.com/9images/9gallery/Furrier.jpg

PainterlyGirl
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi Nate--

Thanks for the response and suggestions.

I like your work a great deal.

Sandy

Nate
11-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Sandy... was looking at your digital gallery - some interesting conceptual work.

I wasn't so much showing my work as trying to demonstrate different ways artists can make use of tools like Poser, etc. Kind of hard to do - like most art tools, eveyone finds different ways to use them.

When doing my 'own thing' I gravitate toward the painterly end of the spectrum. In the commercial work, I use different tools based on what the project calls for. Most of the time it's a hodgepodge of several together to meet the need - maybe not the best purist approach.

- - - The best thing to do (maybe you have) is to download demos of the programs and experiment and see how they fit into your vision.

The programs have their own forums and visiting those will show a concentration of artists that specialize in using them - great places to gather inspiration and ideas.

PainterlyGirl
11-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Sandy... was looking at your digital gallery - some interesting conceptual work.

I wasn't so much showing my work as trying to demonstrate different ways artists can make use of tools like Poser, etc. Kind of hard to do - like most art tools, eveyone finds different ways to use them.

When doing my 'own thing' I gravitate toward the painterly end of the spectrum. In the commercial work, I use different tools based on what the project calls for. Most of the time it's a hodgepodge of several together to meet the need - maybe not the best purist approach.

- - - The best thing to do (maybe you have) is to download demos of the programs and experiment and see how they fit into your vision.

The programs have their own forums and visiting those will show a concentration of artists that specialize in using them - great places to gather inspiration and ideas.

Hi Nate--

I plan on downloading some trial versions and experimenting.

You said: "Most of the time it's a hodgepodge of several together to meet the need - maybe not the best purist approach.,"

I think whatever works and whatever brings us to the final result is the most important aspect of our art. Your approach brings you great results and it does help others to see what's possible.
Thanks again.

Sandy

"

Eduardo Flores
11-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Has anyone here tried Poser or Daz for 3D art?...
I tried Poser, and found it an awful, complicated program; later I used DAZ, that does more or less the same things but in a more (relatively...) friendly manner.
My opinion is that the results may be good, with a lot of dedication; nevertheless there is in those works some unnatural appearance.
You can judge from the various galleries on the web.

Eduardo

gigih
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
THis was created in daz3d and bryce 5.5- both of which are still avail. for free.

dthgraphix
11-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I use both photoshop and adobe illustrator. I've been using Illustrator to sell my digital illustrations.

Kantu
12-05-2009, 12:49 PM
ArtRage. All I really want is an oil paint simulator. A new and improved version is due any day now, and even I can afford it!

Artgeek16
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know where I can find some good Painter tutorials? I need something really user friendly, I'm new to the digital art scene.

Thanks so much :)

Hanzz
12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I recently uninstalled PainterX, because it's no longer a match to ArRage 3. I am an Alpha and Beta tester for Ambient design.

Skylar10
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Art Rage! Most intuitive, easiest, cheapest - And V3 is coming out! With more features!

Hanzz
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
That's right.Version 3 will even be more fun !....Here's more (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596402)

and here is my pre-release gallery (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24136)

eonworks
12-13-2009, 05:35 AM
My favorites are Photoshop, 3DS Max and Bryce.

id-art
12-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Photoshop, Artrage, mostly. I have Painter X, rarely use it. Been using Inkscape recently and it's very nice.

aless
01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
My favorites are Photoshop CS4,Corel Painter X,

Paul Darby
01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I like Artrage because it's fun. The mouse is my brush and stroke looks like the real deal.
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, especially one that people who like Painter will enjoy, is ArtRage. It's still pretty new, and doesn't have some of the nice features like Painter (alt-click, etc.), but hands down in terms of being a program that mimics real media, it blows Painter away, especially for digital 'oil' paintings.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part.... IT'S FREE. So, I guess there's no reason not to at least try it.

A very good many awesome digital artists in this forum use it: Sijun Digital Art Forum (http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=29807&start=12030).

Worth giving a shot... definitely my vote for favorite.

-Rob

jimgun
01-24-2010, 02:16 AM
1) Illustrator
2) Painter
3) Photoshop

vic_6177
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I got Art Rage Studio Pro 3.0 this weekend and it's awesome. It gets hung up on some things some times, but that is rare. I wish it was 64-bit, but they say they are working on it. I miss a few features of Painter, but I read bad things about the most recent versions of Painter. I needed a painting program and found Art Rage via internet word of mouth. I liked the price too. Check out my first Art Rage painting in this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611636

Paul Darby
03-15-2010, 09:07 PM
The GIMP, Artrage and MS Paint can do just about all the digital minipulation I want.

omniartz
05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Corel Painter 8 and 11, CorelDRAW, PhotoPaint, Paint.NET free version, ArtRage free version.

Kirk

id-art
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Must add DrawPlus X4 to my list of favs. Amazing program. Will open and edit pdfs, dwg, dxf, eps, svg, plus all the image formats.

darlingart
05-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Painter XI using a Wacom Intuos 4. I also use Photoshop CS4 for some things that are not as good in Painter (like selective dodge/burn).

Pamzo
05-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Bryce - I recently purchased Bryce 7 Pro. I love this program so much - I only use PSP, PSE or Gimp for the photographs that I submit to that other art site ... :evil:

CSForest
06-09-2011, 02:36 AM
I just spent all my money on Photoshop CS5 so it's going to be my favorite, like it or not. ;)

LavenderFrost
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
I just spent all my money on Photoshop CS5 so it's going to be my favorite, like it or not. ;)

:lol: Like me and Painter 11.

BobbiPro
06-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Has anyone tried Art Rage 3, Studio Pro? I have been using that for some time. I also use Photoshop CS3. Corel Draw is not too easy to use, at least for me.

Neillydun
06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Sketchclub on the iPad. Very easy to get to grips with and an excellent community. The dev also says he is also porting it as an app for OSX, in the near future.

nalysale
06-24-2011, 01:21 AM
what is your favourite software for digital art? :)

On the surface, digital painting is like any other art form where the goal is to capture the creative human expression. Just like paint, brushes and canvas are a medium to the traditional artist, so too is the tablet, stylus and computer to the digital artist.Usually used to photo shop on regularly bases.

CelticGold
06-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I think it depends on what you are doing. I use AutoCAD as most of my work is linework so it is the best for me.

moccasin
07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I use mainly CS2 but also do some creating in CorelDraw. LOL - I haven't posted in Digital Art in eons, guess I should ...

Cheers,
Sue :heart:

Art_Rabbit
07-26-2011, 03:12 PM
GIMP newbie here and having a blast!

Goldeelocks
08-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Someone buy me Maya pls!

gzairborne
08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
artrage studio pro 3.5,

Nickillus
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
ArtRage Studio Pro
with Sketchbook Pro 2011 following close on its heels

gzairborne
08-06-2011, 01:34 AM
ArtRage Studio Pro
with Sketchbook Pro 2011 following close on its heels

here here. cheers! :)

still haven't figured out how to make custom brushes in SBP 2011. I really like the brushes in Scetchbook Mobile.

reggor
08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I just downloaded Art Rage 3.5 Studio version. I have had good results from it. It's just like painting with the real thing. I used microsoft paint for the last year. I like it because it mimics my painting style.I think this program comes with every computer with windows vista etc. It's not that easy to draw with a mouse.

Willsart
09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Sketchbook Pro, for sketching to finals with bit maps. Corel Draw for vector ?imports/exports to almost everything and its intuitive. Corel Photopaint good for photo work or painting. Painter the best painting program I have found yet. Wacom tablet is a gota have! I use all and mix and match with what works best for the project.

Wonder-w
09-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Art Rage 3 Studio Pro is my favorite if work digital.
gzairborne ,Nickillus nice to see you here :clap: :wave:

DivineInk
09-25-2011, 03:20 PM
My favorite is Pixarra's Twisted Brush.

douzeDouces
12-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Well Corel Painter tools are the best, but it's restricted image size, max 16382 pixels in any dimension, is really a problem (why didn't they improve it in the painter 12? Photoshop gives me a 300000!), so sometimes I'd like to use it but I can't, not only because of the image size, but sometimes painter fails to load smaller PSD files with some layers(I have a 6092X4320 pixels with about 20 layers that Painter doesn't load, for it to do so I have to flatten the image and thats quite annoying).

id-art
12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Most handy with Paint Shop Pro and DrawPlus X4. Just got Smith Micro Manga Studio Ex 4.0 and digging in to learn this amazing program. Thinking graphic novel.

MvdLinden
12-12-2011, 02:24 AM
ArtRage 3 Studio Pro is very impressive, and great value for money. Project DogWaffle is a lot of fun. PhotoShop is a must for printing control. Z-Brush is amazing. But Nothing and I mean nothing beats what I can do with Studio Artist.

packages that I own:
ArtRage
Blender
corel draw
corel photo
CS5
DAP
Painter
Processing(ok it is a language not a program -still cool)
Project Dog Waffle
PSP
Groboto
HASH
Artmatic
Poser
Z-Brush
FCP
SketchUp Pro
Silo
and of course
StudioArtist 4

Vanity87
02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Photoshop is my favorite digital art software, hands down. It has a simple learning curb and there is so much to do with the program. It is incredibly flexible and gets the job done. I use Photoshop for every last one of my digital art endeavors these days. :D

Jill_D
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Depends on what I'm doing. I love Photoshop (currently use CS5, hoping to upgrade soon!) and I also really love Illustrator (Currently use CS4, want to upgrade to CS6). I use ArtRage for some things - if I want a real 'painted' look, or if I want some glitter effects. Occasionally I use PSP-X - usually only because I have a script I want to use, or sometimes I like their painting options. Also use Painter once in a while, but it seems to have such a lag/delay (slow!) when I use most of the brushes, that I find it kind of frustrating. My system *should* handle it better, since normally I'm able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, ArtRage, and Firefox all at once with no problems, but even if I close everything else down, Painter is really slow. Oh well. I use PS and Illustrator most often anyway. :)

MaloCS
07-11-2012, 09:23 PM
In the past I worked solely in Photoshop and used Illustrator as a supporting software program. I enjoyed using Photoshop because it offered plenty of tools and I was/am extremely efficient with it. I was/am able to minimize my time and maximize my effort with Photoshop.

However, due to printing and enlarging concerns I have found myself relying more and more on Illustrator, specifically it's unique tools and precision as well as it's limitless vector scaling capabilities. In fact, I've noticed that my personal style is morphing to accommodate the unique look a vector based application produces and that I've created techniques that allow me to achieve effects I only thought were possible with a raster based program like Photoshop.

I've found that even though I cannot achieve a 100% painterly look with artwork created in Illustrator I have created techniques that produce a unique look that take advantage of everything that Illustrator has to offer. From layer blending modes to utilizing transparency and masks I can achieve a look that more accurately reflects what I used to do in Photoshop; all without having to worry about scaling and printing.

Whether the artwork is intended to be printed on letter sized paper or a standard sized 18"x24" canvas or on material intended for mural sized applications it can scale without loss of quality. Additionally, the file sizes a program like Illustrator produces are a fraction of what Photoshop generates. My typical Photoshop file tends to hover around 500 megabytes whereas the same type of artwork in Illustrator only produces a mere 1 megabyte file, a 499 megabyte savings in hard drive space.

As it stands right now I have to say that my primary software is Illustrator with Photoshop moving into the supporting role. As my unique style continues to develop I have no concerns about Illustrator being able to produce the vision in my mind's eye.

So in order of favorite software apps:

Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop

One thing I will emphasize is that I believe that Illustrator requires a different mindset in order to get the most out of it. Because the program is based upon mathematics instead of pixels the tools tend to lean more towards a scientific mindset than a traditional artistic mindset. If your thought process has always been involved with traditional analog painting techniques then you might struggle with the scientific nuances that Illustrator presents. However, if you enjoy the more analytical things in life like puzzles, building things, fixing household items, plumbing, changing automotive oil, coding applications, etc... then you probably will have an easier time with the processes that Illustrator offers. Why? Because the thought process to fix a broken water pipe or replace your car's brake pads tends to mirror the thought process of creating realistic objects in Illustrator.

Jtorres
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I use 3 programs. Photoshop, SAI and Painter 12. They all have strong pros and cons. I just got Photoshop CS6 and I have experimented a little with the new brushes that function a lot like the ones in Painter. Pretty cool.

Stephanie886
07-12-2012, 04:25 AM
I always use Photoshop, this is my favorite software for digital art.

BluZebra5510
07-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I have Photoshop CS and use it sometimes, but I have used PSP for years. Now I have just discovered GIMP. It seems to do a lot. The only thing I wish it would do is use the stroke for text. Maybe in the next upgrade. I still use PSP for looking at my files. It seems to be the only one that allows me to do that easily. I say easily because I know that Photoshop has Bridge. I find Bridge a nuisance, though.

tmcclary
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I use Illustrator and Photoshop equally. Illustrator for illustrations that need to be scaled for printing, and Photoshop for more painterly work at a fixed size. Currently using CS6 with an Adobe Cloud subscription. I use Lightroom 4 to organize.

I want to learn Painter 12 but it crashed too much when I used the trial. From what I have read, they have fixed the bug that caused the problem, but I hesitate to buy it without being able to run another trial.

Beary Funny
08-15-2012, 03:48 AM
Photoshop or Paint tool SAI.

Black Spot
09-04-2012, 03:03 AM
I use Serif's DrawPlus (vector) & PhotoPlus (very like PhotoShop). Both are pretty cheap and you can download a cut down version to try them out.

id-art
09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm beginning to use DrawPlus more lately. Also have PagePlus which has advantages over MS Publisher. Looked at WebPlus, but was put off by many bad reviews.

Bratt
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm a Paint Tool Sai person. I'm not that good at using Photoshop, though I used to use it. It's just not for me at the moment.

Shocked
09-23-2012, 06:18 AM
I found a nice little painting program called ArtRage yesterday and I have been experimenting with it using my Wacom. I have used Photoshop for many years although I don't consider myself an expert but generally good understanding of most of it's functions and features. I have fireworks for quick web graphic production. As I'm using a wacom now I'm wanting to trying out some painting programs, i realize Photoshop has some good features and I might find I don't need much else. I have CS3 on my laptop. I played around with Painter years ago and I'm considering trying that again, would I need it if I have Photoshop?

id-art
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Shocked....I have ArtRage Pro and like it a lot. Also have Painter. Never use it so uninstalled the other day.

Duael
10-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Zbrush is the only app I know of that has a 2.5D mode.
Lets you paint with 3d shapes, but thats a simplistic way of putting it.
It has a tech they call Pixols, 3D Pixels.
Check it out.
AND, they dont charge you more with each upgrade.
You pay one price, and get upgrades/updates for free forever!
AND, if you want to buy a copy for another platform (pc vs MAC) you only pay half price, once!
Try and find that from any other art software developer.

The drawback is that ZBrush has one hell of a learning curve....but there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

ZBrush has some really cool hair software too, with brushes that act like combs, brushes and blowers.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2012/1136982-2715_Cropt_GoldenLionTamarin724.jpg

Nicolay
10-09-2012, 03:32 AM
With the new natural media brushes in Photoshop CS6, its finally all in one place.

Duael
10-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Do you mean this?
Natural Media (http://nkurence.com/blog/2012/06/nks5-natural-media-toolkit-for-photoshop-cs5-cs6/)

Not the same thing.
ZBrush is a 3D geometry app with paint functions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqo08HgcXh4

Nicolay
10-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Do you mean this?
Natural Media (http://nkurence.com/blog/2012/06/nks5-natural-media-toolkit-for-photoshop-cs5-cs6/)

No ... but Oooh! that looks really nice! Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

pericusmaximus
10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I combine Corel Painter 12 with Photoshop CS5, both combined are an amazing powerful tool with endless artistic possibilities

Spore
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I use photoshop as well as Inkscape (a vector program.) I really dont know much about other programs, I would love to be able to afford adobe illustrator if I could.

obscurare
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
I use Photoshop & Painter the most. However, I also use Illustrator & Poser often.

ullahennig
01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
I use photoshop for my digital paintings, but I am far from using it in all its possibilities. I've got the feeling that each day I am discovering something new!

ca_jkb
01-29-2013, 10:14 AM
I like both Painter and ArtRage, but I usually use all the above in combination with Photoshop. I've also used real acrylics as well and I found that each medium (real or digital) has their own unique qualities and there isn't a "one size fits all" at all.

dukeof
05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm surprised nobody in the entire thread has mentioned Manga Ex for drawing at least

cutedolfin
05-25-2013, 05:10 AM
This fur from one of previous posts looks amazing! I always have problems with drawing hair, I use only Photoshop CS4.

paintbug
04-02-2014, 06:46 PM
I use Inkscape and Gimp. After updates got too expensive for me I turned to both of these because they are free and in the public domain. Now I prefer them.

luvcowhorses
04-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I use PSP for photo manipulation and do all my other work in Painter. I'm self taught, but have used a wealth of tutorials and Youtube Painter tutorials to learn from. Lots of websites with good Corel Painter tips and tutorials out there.

Teedot
07-20-2014, 07:00 AM
I've been using procreate for iPad. It's the cheapest option. It basically does everything I need plus I can work digitally wherever I go. Procreate is an ios app. I also use sketchbook pro.

Milo
07-20-2014, 05:02 PM
I've been using procreate for iPad. It's the cheapest option. It basically does everything I need plus I can work digitally wherever I go. Procreate is an ios app. I also use sketchbook pro.

I have Procreate as well, I have just started it. If you come across a good fur tutorial let me know :)

StratoArt
08-12-2014, 09:01 AM
I've been using Photoshop for graphic design work and restoration and touch up work for over 20 years. For the last 8 years, I've been using Photoshop for digital painting - I do love that it has expanded in that area. But I love ArtRage Studio Pro (I didn't see it listed on the poll) best of all for digital painting. I'll still do my finalization in Photoshop. There's just times when I need to dodge and burn some areas of my digital painting, and I still paint in PS - but ArtRage is quickly filling in a gap that Photoshop, in my opinion - has a long way to go. I have used Corel Painter for a few years, but I always struggled with it because it's not as intuitive as ArtRage - and I feel AR can be just as powerful and I can get my paint on the digital canvas more quickly than I can do in Painter. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, in addition, ArtRage 4.5 just yesterday went to 64-bit and added a wonderful grid feature that totally rocks!! :clap:

Sarosna
09-24-2014, 02:32 AM
Photoshop. It's the one I know and have used before. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Digital Media production so I've done an electable course for PS in college and I also used PS in my work when I still worked at a newspaper. Painting on PS is another matter entirely but I'm used to the program and I know where everything is. It means a lot when you digitally paint. It's frustrating if you have to spend a lot of time looking for shortcuts and such.

Green Ink
09-26-2014, 02:10 PM
I use Photoshop Elements 12 when on the PC. But on my phone or tablet I use Picsart which is fabulous free software. Its like having photoshop on your phone!

koalablue
11-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Corel Painter 13, ArtRage 4.5, PaintShop Pro X7.
There are others I use occasionally.

opainter
11-19-2014, 10:45 PM
FotoSketcher 2.85, GIMP 2.8, PaintShop Pro 6 (yeah, I know, kinda old), Photoshop Elements 12

I have most experience with PaintShop Pro, and that is what I use to open images and for basic manipulation (resizing, cropping, etc.). I use GIMP to save images, which it can do in almost all formats known to man. Photoshop Elements is for professional adjustments and filters. PaintShop Pro also for filters. (I believe that Elements and PSP use the same filter plugin technology.) FotoSketcher? It's (at least currently) free, and it is really fun to play with! It also gives some interesting results.

All that said, I use digital media mostly to manipulate photos that I paint from. Because I am a programmer, I have lots of interest in the technical aspects of how these programs work. I'd love to (this is one of my deferred dreams) code my own graphics editor. After writing my novel, implementing my own programming language, and resettling to a Tahitian island . . .

bernieplacido
11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
i love photoshop. it is very versatile and useful for me.

hereitgoesagain
12-11-2014, 01:57 PM
photoshop! and maybe corel painter

LaShonda
12-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I use photo impact pro x3 and use real draw pro4 Corel painter4 artrage and paintshop pro and also photo explosion 3 and 4 and also use twistedbrush pro studio love using them...for editing....

Ray_Garside
01-02-2015, 07:35 AM
I played around with Photoshop but mainly use it alongside Lightroom for photos.

I've recently acquired Sketchbook Pro and I found it excellent, way beyond simple sketching. As an amateur I'm really pleased with the results so far. The effect I'm trying to achieve is artistic rather than cartoon.

Is there any chance of more threads on Sketchbook Pro?

Daulat
01-26-2015, 02:24 AM
Krita and mypaint for me. :wave:

JayD
01-30-2015, 04:32 PM
I have been using photoshop forever (who hasn't ). Lately, I played with Krita as its free but its not stable on my Mac but is on my pc but I really need my was as its where my wacom lives. I have Mischief which I like but NOW i found out after I upgraded if anyone is interested is that Mischief redid the entire software, changed the interface so that you have a better canvas, dropped the price to 25 dollars so its now very affordable so I'm back to using mischief. Now I also have Manga 5 Ex which I love. It has a 3d modeling feature which allows me to pose mannequin figures---i can save these as reference images for drawing so i can make corrections in my figure drawings. very handy. I have artrage 4 which i love, krita and sketchbook pro. all rock and i use them all but right now my core drawing software is Mischief.

Daulat
01-31-2015, 04:54 AM
Hey jayD, If you really want maximum performance out of krita and mypaint, I would recommend switching to linux. You'd be surprised by the speed of brushes and stability. When I was in windows, Photoshop used to be my preferred software, because of the stability and relatively greater performance over krita. That was a year ago and I don't know how krita performs now, but since then I completely switched over to linux and I was blown away by the krita's performance. It put photoshop to shame. For my machine, Krita in linux runs way faster than Photoshop ever did in windows.

I don't know how Krita does in mac though. I know the development is ongoing. But for linux users, nothing better seriously. In photoshop, I couldn't go over 6k pixels with smooth brush performance, but now I go around 10k in krita with just 8GB memory. And mypaint is also a version ahead in linux than windows, and it's a HUGE version difference. So, yeah, It wouldn't harm to perform a dual boot configuration, would it.?;)

Best of the three worlds..:thumbsup:

JayD
01-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Well, on the Mac Krita is extremely unstable--they say they are going to try to put out for donations to do some development but I don't see the seriousness there but I really do like the software---I have toyed with the idea of Linux on my ASUS (pc) but not sure if I have the guts to do it---I have to seriously think about but i am certainly open to it.

My Mac is an older machine and it's my baby--Yosemite has solved a LOT of issues for me that snow leopard, and the other cats seemed to complicate and now it purrs like it should have in the first place so I am reluctant to make changes on it.

But I will tell you this, don't shut out Mischief either--go give it a looksee--its 25 dollars now, has the infinite canvas (was one of the first--I paid 70 for it --DRAT!) but they dropped the price and improved the interface.

Now I am not loyal to one program--i have learned in the longterm that all programs have their virtues--I still love Artrage for example--I like pinning my reference to the canvas or the way layers work and the way brushes can be created --nice stuff. Photoshop--still love it--because it took me forever to learn darn it but its extremely useful but as artists we want an artist's experience and these new fangled software generations like sai, manga studio, krita, mischief, to name a few are raising the bar--it's an exciting time for digital art, I think.

Not giving up on Krita---I love the sketching tools to be frank (but please, call me Jay) and I will consider Linux simply because Windows is starting to seriously annoy me anyway.

I have a wacom for each machine so I'm not going to starve---I will give your suggestions some thought---would be grateful if you could direct me to some more information about krita and linux use--other users for instances and also information about dual installs of operating systems so I don't blow up my ASUS. Thanks--Jay

Daulat
02-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Hey Jay, I can relate to the annoyances of a windows system. It wasn't easy switching to linux as it took quite a bit of learning but it was really worth it. I'm running a very user friendly linux distribution, its PCLinuxOS. It's really no hassle. Immediately upon installing, you get a complete system with all the necessary drivers for your hardware, all multimedia codecs built-in, VERY STABLE environment and a very friendly user forum. And you get the latest stable releases of every softwares you use through regular updates as and when the softwares are updated by their developers. So, all in all its very coherent working environment and very reliable.

If you're going for a dual boot windows/linux system, all it takes is free space on your hard drive, an unallocated one, around 40-50 GB. For starting out, you can visit the site http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/kde/ , and scroll all the way down and download the Iso image for your system architecture (32 or 64) and download the full version ( not minime). After that you can make a bootable USB stick and test the OS from the USB before installing. It's like taking a car for a test drive.

The process of installation is very straightforward, but it requires some knowledge about making partitions. If you make your mind, then you can ask me or visit the PCLinuxOS forum for further process. But If you want to check it first then just download the iso, make a bootable USB, and boot from the USB stick. The OS will load from the USB and then you're in a test drive mode. No harm will come to the system during this process.Make yourself familiar with the interface and the way it works. You can explore, browse net and do all the things from the usb, that you can do after installing it on the hard drive.And when you're done,just restart the system and eject the USB, you'll boot right into your windows system. No problem at all. And you can get really familiar with the OS this way before committing to install it.

And yeah, I looked into the software you mentioned, mischief, and I have to say it's pretty awesome, very minimalistic, non-obtrusive, all very desirable aspects in a software. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it more.

And its good to have an open mind regarding softwares we use, as you said, every software has its way doing things and we can't help missing something. And good luck with your venture into linux, if you plan to. In case of any confusion, you can just ask.

clee01
02-17-2015, 01:23 AM
I like going back and forth between Photoshop, Clip Studio, and SAI

Andre Yusin
03-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Almost exclusively CorelDraw, so not on the list.

As far as the digital art is concerned I pretty much a vector guy, but now that I decided to also start painting maybe I'll give another try to Corel Painter Lite which I also have.

sword
04-12-2015, 01:12 PM
@jayD Re: "...more information about krita and linux use..." 1-31-2015
I use krita and a wacom tablet running under KaOS_14.11, a live linux DVD available through distrowatch.com. It is free and will probably run flawlessly on most systems.
Ubuntu Studio is another source for a live linux DVD with krita.
Krita has a forum under the KDE forum and they have been helpful to me.
If you have other questions or want details post a reply.

Delofasht
04-12-2015, 10:02 PM
I had different favorites for different purposes until recently. Now all I use is ArtRage, program is insanely powerful. Has all the digital tools and effects I need for painting or designing with none of the extremely technical things to set up. (Actions, Scripts, plugins, UI organization, brush tweaking, etc)

Opening ArtRage I found an intuitive flexible program that had brushes that reacted as I would expect them to, with sliders to adjust the things I would need to adjust from time to time (or to make presets which I have). It was paired with one of the easiest to organize and use UIs I've ever had the pleasure of utilizing, then I started really looking at the results I was getting and realized this was closer to a traditional look than I could ever achieve with Photoshop or Painter (have not tried 2015 Painter yet though). I have been so impressed by this software that I transferred over important files and uninstalled Photoshop and canceled my sub to it.

There are a few things that, for playing around with, I will miss about Photoshop (curves, adjustment layers, gradient mapping, and layer masks, free warp, and liquify), but I know how to work around most of that without using built in features.

greywilson
04-22-2015, 04:44 AM
I use Photoshop for painting as I find the brush engines the easiest to use with my Wacom tablet. Also use Manga Studio from time-to-time for sketching outlines, but not for painting.

geopaint
04-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Voting for Blender 3d. Competes with 3dmax, but that cost over $5,000 and Blender is free, free, free.

Yorky
05-25-2015, 05:01 AM
I am considering renewing my laptop with a touchscreen Windows 8.1 laptop (http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_15.6_FHD_LED_Glare_Touch_-_i7-4710HQ_-_Nvidia_GTX850_2G_-_8G_-_1TB_-__N550JK-CM531H/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&gclid=CMD0xaag1sUCFa3LtAodh1kAXQ).

Is it practical to use the screen as a touch pad? Do any of the pressure sensitive stylus commonly used on the ipad work with windows software?

Doug

everelusive
05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
I dont have a computer, but instead rely on my samsung note tablet. I started off using sketchbook pro, but was dissappointed with the layout, the lack of blending ability, and the fact that they made it subscription based two months after I bought the full version.
I tried artflow but felt it to be too basic.
Now im using infinite painter, and its fantastic, great gui very easy to create/customise new brushes, ability to have a reference seperate from my painting.
but im still jealous of those who have computers and graphic tablets.

LavenderFrost
05-27-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm really disappointed that they don't have Procreate for android. My son has pretty much taken over my iPad so I recently got a Samsung and I've been trying ArtFlow, but find it a bit awkward. I really like the layout of Procreate. Size, opacity, undo and redo buttons are there on the side and easy to use without taking up much space. You can even change brush size while painting. I think ArtFlow has hidden buttons but I want them where I can see them.

HaydeeFab
05-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Photoshop is the best software for digital art. It has so many specific options.

Skullclutter
05-28-2015, 02:38 PM
For me, Painter is the best, hands-down.
I discovered the Painter android app recently. I haven't been that excited about a new app in a while.

LavenderFrost
05-31-2015, 11:45 AM
For me there is no perfect program, there's always something I don't like. lol Painter is good but I don't like that I can't blend the way I want without picking up white or the underlying colour. I've gone back to TwistedBrush, which has had a lot of improvements in recent years. A big learning curve though.

What I really need is more time.

cjkok
06-22-2015, 04:11 PM
I would like to ask: which software do you prefer for Android tablets?

everelusive
06-22-2015, 04:27 PM
I would like to ask: which software do you prefer for Android tablets?
I use infinite painter, it has a free trial atm, with full usage for 7 days, it shares a lot of similarities with corel painter (which is slightly cheaper), but I found the set up easier to work with.

Blut
09-08-2015, 07:03 PM
I mostly use Paint Tool SAI, although I'm trying to start using Clip Studio Paint.
I usually only use photoshop for adding text or making animated gifs, for me drawing in it has always felt really clunky.

CoolArtiste
09-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Is painter short for Corel Painter?

CoolArtiste
10-10-2015, 06:47 AM
A couple of experts said that Corel Painter is the best painting software, much better than Photoshop. I tried it tonight and WOW! It's awesome. I discovered immediately that it's a pure joy to use. I tried using several brushes and there's no lag. The response is instant, even though my computer is several years old. Previously I was using Sketchbook. Painter is far better. Sketchbook is a PAIN to use!

Curious3d
10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
3ds Max, Vue, Photoshop, and Painter.

Most used is Photoshop, favorite to use is Vue.

Laurelwood
11-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Photoshop is prob the best, but I can't afford it, which I think is a detractor. I use Gimp, which has its issues, but it does the job, and you can't beat FREE. My go-to is Sketchbook Pro for the ipad, though...I like being totally mobile, especially since I work full-time and the only chance I get to do any digital painting is en route somewhere.

fritzthefox
12-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Have spent decades using adobe products, but since Adobe decided to start renting software instead of selling it, I've been trying alternatives. I have fallen rapidly in love Manga Studio. It does everything I have often wished Photoshop did. If it could export vector art, I would have little use for Adobe at all. I havent found an adequate replacement for Illustrator yet, though. Xara seems like a possibility, but I have not yet tried it.

Raybrite
12-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Clip Studio Paint pro and Krita are my main programs now. They do everything the expensive ones do and they are much cheaper.
Ken

digiartdave
02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
My main fav painting software is Artrage then paintstorm pro, and then in third for some effects maybe painter 2015.
Dave

NeilF92
03-25-2016, 12:14 PM
Photoshop Elements for me.

GhostDiver
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
I use pretty much everything on that list and a few that aren't listed. Probably why I selected three options - Some other that you havent written in here, I like all of them and I want more, depends on the project Im doing - because all apply. I work in 2D and 3D digital artwork equally nowadays.

Digital artwork is something I am sort of "new" with. I really only started using it about 2 years ago on and off and seriously started working with it, oh, these last 8 months. Entirely self-taught.

I have the benefit of learning stuff very quickly; which has, over the years, driven instructors, trainers, etc. in my non-artistic field a little batty as it is hard to lord "experience" over a "newbie" when said newbie [me] knows as much as they do in six months compared to their years of experience.

ratfugel
05-15-2016, 10:04 AM
You guys seem to have missed Sketchbook Pro. Used Photoshop for years, got a free copy of Sketchbook Pro with a new Wacom and found it a joy to use. If you doubt what I say have a look at my Digital Art posting marked "Katie". Says it all.

rat.

Psyc-O-Mike
06-30-2016, 01:52 AM
I guess nobody has heard of the Serif programs out of Europe?

My Favorites are:

Photoplusx8
Drawplusx8

in asdition they have a great desktop publisher, a fantastic web designer and so-on. The programs are non intrusive, easy to use (with each other). I suggest trying out the free versions and post back what you think. I hope this helps someone.

http://www.serif.com

Davkin
07-22-2016, 12:39 AM
I guess nobody has heard of the Serif programs out of Europe?

My Favorites are:

Photoplusx8
Drawplusx8

in asdition they have a great desktop publisher, a fantastic web designer and so-on. The programs are non intrusive, easy to use (with each other). I suggest trying out the free versions and post back what you think. I hope this helps someone.

http://www.serif.com

I use their desktop publisher (pageplus) to produce a monthly club newsletter and look it well enough. I should look at getting Drawplus. Every now and then I wish I had something to do some vector drawing with, my copy of CorelDraw is too old for W7-W10 and I don't want to spend the bucks for the current version...pricey.

Tatianapaints
09-06-2016, 12:24 AM
Looks like a great tip, thanks Davkin and Psch-o-Mike.

DickHutchings
09-07-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm new at this so I'm trying a lot of programs. Tried Artrage, Gimp, FreshPaint and Sketchbook Pro. Sketchbook Pro is hands down the best IMO. It's only 25 a year which seems cheap to me for something this good. If they sold it outright it would probably be 100s, who knows.

ArtRage seemed really good at first but when I started getting more detailed, I found my pen inadvertently clicking on zooms, brushes and other toolboxes. Soooo aggravating. I gave up.

I'll have to go back and read some of the other posts here as I see some that I haven't tried yet. I'm using the Monoprice 10 x 6.25 tablet.

lizboo
09-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Krita is great and free :)

Yorky
09-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Krita seems very good and there are lots of demo videos on youtube.

Doug

Jeroen
10-15-2016, 01:33 PM
Photoshop CC (started with Photoshop 2.0, like 500 years ago).
Illustrator CC (ditto)
I've used Corel Painter for a while.
Cinema 4D

Plus all combinations of the above, including combinations with analog art. What I do a lot for concept sketches is scan pencil line art and use Photoshop for colouring.

My avatar was done 10 years ago on a Nintendo DS with home brew software on a hacked SD card. That was before the invention of the iPad. I wanted something digital that would fit into my pocket :)

Yorky
10-22-2016, 02:45 PM
I'm learning to use Krita (https://docs.krita.org/Main_Page)at the moment. I need to create some tree brushes.

Doug

Charlie's Mum
10-23-2016, 08:46 AM
I use their desktop publisher (pageplus) to produce a monthly club newsletter and look it well enough. I should look at getting Drawplus. Every now and then I wish I had something to do some vector drawing with, my copy of CorelDraw is too old for W7-W10 and I don't want to spend the bucks for the current version...pricey.

I've used DrawPlus for a long time - my present one is #6 but they upgrade frequently - before I've fully explored the previous version!

Good for vector drawing but I prefer ArtRage for an intuitive painting experience.

DickHutchings - I understand the frustration of the ArtRage app for tablets but still like it -there are some options which can be turned off, like the inadvertent zoom - the only bug still happening on mine is the change of colour if the pen is too long on a spot!

creando
10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
On the iPad pro I use Procreate. The experience with the Apple pencil and Procreate is awesome. The feeling is more natural than with a Wacom tablet, even the Cintiq.

On the Mac, is use Photoshop.

a 90% of the tasks can be done with Procreate on the iPad, for some intermediate steps I send the file to Photoshop and then back to Procreate.

the Apple pencil has been a game changer.

kbrown
11-16-2016, 12:49 AM
I use Corel draw that came with my Intuos Wacom tablet. I'd like to find a free or inexpensive app that has a feature to draw on several axis (plural?) at one time to make a square design & also a rectangular design - kind of like a kaleidoscope. The lines intersect at a central fixed point. Corel has a feature that sort of does what I want, but I can't remember the name of it. It doesn't give the overall shape I need anyway.

Raybrite
11-25-2016, 10:28 PM
I am trying out one now called Paintstorm Studio. It is on sale for a day or two for Black Friday for $10.
It loosk promising but there are lots of brushes and options and it takes a bit to get used to them all.
The program seems to be challenging Krita, ArtRage and some others.
Not a bad price for what you get.
Ken

FrankG.
12-12-2016, 05:41 AM
ArtRage al the way... and with the version 5 coming out even more. Also fancying Sketchbook Pro, an d keeping an eye on Krita too

hylian
12-15-2016, 11:31 AM
I am trying out one now called Paintstorm Studio. It is on sale for a day or two for Black Friday for $10.
It loosk promising but there are lots of brushes and options and it takes a bit to get used to them all.
The program seems to be challenging Krita, ArtRage and some others.
Not a bad price for what you get.
Ken
Paintstorm probably has THE best oil painting brushes I've seen in a program. Beats both Painter and Artrage in my book, and Krita doesn't even seem to make a comparison in that regard.

keenart
12-25-2016, 07:00 PM
I have used Photoshop and Corel Draw since versions 3. Having tried every other software package on the market, the past XX years, I still prefer Photoshop and Corel Draw above all others.

RobbieK
12-30-2016, 06:23 PM
I use the iPad to make art. The iPad Pro, with Apple's pencil is awesome. Try iColorama. There's a FB group called iColorama, that's 'free' to look at.

There are many who use the iPad for mobile/digital art. An iPad can be pricey at first, but additional costs are minimal.

lupiter
01-16-2017, 04:13 PM
I've used tons of software, Manga Studio probably being the best on PC/Mac, but I've also used Krita, the old Procreate Painter, the Gimp, Artrage. Never had the money for PS, so didn't really try that.

Currently I do all digital work on my iPad Pro, pretty much always in Procreate, I used to use some other apps for linework sometimes but now Procreate has stroke smoothing I'm in there all the time.

RobbieK
01-21-2017, 07:09 PM
iColorama is easily the most powerful editor for the iPad

daBroenia
01-22-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm mainly using corel painter to try my idea out on computer before actually starting to paint on canvas with oils.

dcaron
01-25-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm using SAI for most of my digital artworks. It's easy to use and fast. Other programs were included when i got my (wacom bamboo) tablet but i found them hard to learn. After my drawing is done, i edit it again in PhotoFiltre (a free software for simple photo editing)

After a few 2D drawings/paintings over the last few years, i wanted to go further and try other things, such as 3D so i downloaded meshmixer and sculptris but haven't tried them yet.

But what i really want to start doing is called matte painting -- not sure how to explain it, but google is our friend -- so i'm starting to learn SketchUp, another program for 3D, mostly architecture and wide scapes rendering.

I'm a oil painter by formation and long practice but, with time, i find it harder to work at the easel for too long. I still want to create images so digital is the way to the future for me.

joao_hvp
04-01-2017, 06:16 PM
My favorites are: Gimp, Krita, Blender and photoshop :lol:

rosedragon
06-08-2017, 10:38 PM
photoshop and artrage.

lareine
01-13-2018, 06:01 AM
I use Affinity Photo (Adobe Photoshop equivalent) and Affinity Designer (Adobe Illustrator equivalent). They are wonderful pieces of software, extremely powerful, and with a low one-off payment to own them rather than a monthly subscription. I'm in love since I bought mine :)

Rage of Reason
02-01-2018, 07:55 PM
2D: Affinity Photo, GIMP, CorelDRAW, Inkscape. 3D: Rhinoceros, Cinema 4D

Artist_David_King
02-25-2018, 10:44 AM
wow this threads starts in 2002 ! :lol:

Anyway, currently I'm still using Corel Painter 8 (yes that goes back to almost 2002 too hehe).

I also really like Krita

I also recently fdound this relatively new software called Paintstorm Studio and I really like many of the brushes and ability to alter brushes as you go

http://www.paintstormstudio.com

Hehe ... attached a pic of random brush testiing

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2018/2052594-paintstorm_test1.jpg

DoctorLugubrious
03-28-2018, 09:36 PM
I use gimp (because GNU so why not), but also Maya. Maya paint has to be one of the weirdest tools ever-- not very functional in a lot of ways, but has the coolest brushes I've ever seen in my life.

ericu
04-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Depends on what I am creating. I use, Photoshop, Maya, Nuke, and Vue mostly.

Mike L
05-09-2018, 10:10 AM
CorelDraw and Photopaint. Mid-range price and does everything all of the others do, and sometimes does it better.

floblue
08-01-2018, 06:08 AM
I use Procreate, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo. i'm with lareine on the one time payoff.

Hans Neuhart
08-31-2018, 03:41 PM
Photoshop ROCKS !!