PDA

View Full Version : Eilean Donan Castle

Devonlass
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
This is from a photo I got from the RIL thanks to Geoff for this reference of Eilean Conan Castle. It's done on 16 x 20 Pastelboard using Ludwigs, Great Americans, Mount Visions, and miscellaneous others.

I actually painted this twice because I first did it on the new Canson board which I bought at Utrecht a few weeks ago. Unfortunately however, the folks at Canson have mounted the paper in such a way that what they regard as the "good" side is the painting surface and like most people I hate it. That honeycomb pattern drives me nuts. I guess if I had studied it a bit more closely when I bought it I would have noticed the surface......and wouldn't have bought two!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2010/141077-eileanconan_castle2.jpg

*Deirdre*
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
I like this colourful version of Geoff's photo...it really lifts it to another level...almost like a fairytale castle...lovely!:thumbsup:

Paula Ford
08-05-2010, 06:15 PM
This is really lovely Carol! I love how you did that back mountain. It's really beautiful and makes the perfect backdrop for the castle.

I know what you mean about the Canson. I actually cut up a piece last night and am planning to paint on it, but on the smooth side. Glad you mentioned that about the board. I won't buy it if it's mounted with the rough side out.

Turpintine45
08-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I love the mountains, castle and water. It has mood and colour. The one thing I would look at is the purple bridge. To me it doesn't look strong enough maybe more shadows? Feel free to ignore as it it a beautiful painting. Jen

Geoff
08-06-2010, 04:12 AM
Absolutely wonderful.

You've certainly captured the majesty of both the castle and the mountains ...

:thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
It certainly doesn't look like Canson - I'm not seeing the texture of the paper like I usually do.

I'd take another look at the lighter band of water - it's such a big difference in color - why not graduate the blend a bit more.

I agree about the bridge - it looks like two white holes in the paper. Again, maybe change the color of the water.

I like what you've done here and with just a few tweeks, you need to sign and frame it!

:thumbsup:

Finvarra
08-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Agree with Kathryn, those bridge arches are drawing my eye away from the castle. Otherwise I love the colours, a fairytale castle (BTW, it's Eilean Donan with a 'D' :-) )

Cheers
Lesley

mjenneson
08-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Looks good to me, I was going to mention to spelling as well (it's only down the road from here) but Finvarra has already mentioned it.

PS. if anyone is passing, they do nice cake in the cafe!

Devonlass
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks to all who took a look at this and for your helpful comments.

Finvarra and mjenneson Thanks for the spelling correction. I don't know how to alter it here, but I will make sure my personal records are correct.

Geoff Thanks. A whole lot of the credit goes to your beautiful photograph.

Kathryn, Finvarra and Turpintine45 I have noted your comments about the bridge and the water color and will be making some adjustments there. I guess I took the photo too literally, I have a habit of doing that even though I know the camera doesn't always present a true picture of the scene.

Kathryn I obviously didn't make it clear, but this is Pastelboard.......not Canson. My first effort was on Canson and I rejected it because of my dislike of the surface.

Devonlass
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Thank you to whoever changed the misspelling in the title of this piece.

SunFace
08-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Very nice! Love the reflection.

Donna T
08-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Very nice piece, Carol. I just love the way you did that mountain with the colors blending so softly together; kind of a watercolor effect.

*Deirdre*
08-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you to whoever changed the misspelling in the title of this piece.
You're welcome!:D