PDA

View Full Version : Help me!

SusieGS
08-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Hi all. I have been desperately trying to paint. Having a lull in the pet portraits, waiting for reference photos from customers. I've been working at landscapes, but it doesn't seem to be going very well. My doc has changed a couple of meds for my fibromyalgia, and I'm having a rough go of it.
The first one here from a reference photo from Don for the July landscape challenge. I've altered the photo colors-wise, trying to get out of my box! I like the way the trees are coming out, but am stuck with the bank, and the background trees, and don't want to start more on the water til the bank looks right!
The second one is a photo I took near my home at Horseshoe lake, it's a beautiful spot. My clouds look like crap! :(
Any help is desperately needed. Thanks!
SusieQ

Paula Ford
08-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Landscapes are difficult and it takes a long time to understand how to paint them. In the meantime, enjoy the process! You are doing much better than you think.

Let me suggest moving on to the water. Don't get stuck on working in one area at a time. How you handle the water may determine how the bank should be done.

DAK723
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi SusieQ,

I agree with Paula, you are doing fine! The trees (both foreground and background) look good and so does the bank! You can never judge what a painting looks like until all the parts are finished! Just keep looking at the shapes of color and value, and the water will be just as successful as the rest!

The second painting is coming along fine, too! Notice how the bottom of the main cloud just blends away into the more distant clouds at the horizon. Just keeping looking at the big overall shapes!

Thanks for posting!

Don

SusieGS
08-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Thank you, Paula and Don, for your encouragement. It was sorely needed!

Paula--I will move on to the water, and let the rest of the painting rest for now. I guess I'm only stuck at the bank because I'm letting myself be. Thanks again!

Don-- I seem to be getting lost in the clouds, and not thinking about the shapes, you are right. I can't remember who it was who posted on WC about turning reference and painting upside down to work on just seeing the shapes. I think I will try that. Thanks so much!

SusieQ