PDA

View Full Version : woodworkers and musicians

cobalt fingers
10-04-2002, 10:18 AM
How many of you play instruments or work with wood? I've found nearly ever artists does something else creative. I make furniture. Post some images if you can.

scottb
10-04-2002, 10:20 AM
I am a musician, but unfortunately haven't gotten around to painting my guitars yet. :)

Tim, as always, this piece is a testament to your truthfulness to what you see. Beautifully rendered.

Cheers.
Scott

cobalt fingers
10-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Thanks Scott, I'll try to post a picture of some furniture. My PC is on the blink right now.

scottb
10-04-2002, 10:25 AM
I have a picture of my basement studio - lol. :)

DraigAthar
10-04-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi Tim,

I'm a musician, but I don't work with wood. :)

Actually, my degree is in music. Yes, I studied for four years and all I got out of it was a BM. ;)

Amy

nam26b
10-04-2002, 12:35 PM
I play and teach guitar, and am learning piano. Like most guitar players, started out with the relatively easy stuff-----blues and folk-----did the band thing----but have been studying classical guitar for the past couple of years. It's demanding, but it builds your skill like nothing else....trains ear and hands.

On that note, played my first live radio gig a couple of months ago. It went well, but my wife forgot to tape it, so I haven't heard it and probably never will. It ws fun, though.

I'll post a picture of my guitars sometime soon (I'm on a MU bookstore computer now).

Nathan

nam26b
10-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Aside from that, physics (and higher-level math for that matter) is actually very creative. Yes, it's very creative.

To concieve of the concepts of modern physics takes an open mind and to solve the related problems is quite a creative process....there's no one way to do most things....you have to come up with a way to conceptualize physical phenomena and create a method to test and prove your concept.

Of course, there's a lot of tedious un-creatve math that has to be done in order to make your ideas scientifically valid, but that's no different from learning your scales or learning how to use a router and bandsaw.

For example, relativity hypothesizes a warping 'fabric of space-time' to explain gravity.........it's an often used phrase nowadays, but in the early part of last century, it was considered creative to the point of being almost mystical.

I'm not niterested in defending the creativity of my day job, but I wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. Granted, though, the creative part of it is smaller than I'd like.

Nathan

Wayne Gaudon
10-04-2002, 01:07 PM
I monkey with guitar and blues harp .. self learned so not professional but can keep a beat and chord along with a cd or radio if I know the song. Write my own songs. Tried wood carving once but figured I needed my fingers so gave it up.

JamieWG
10-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Hey, fellow musicians! Thanks for asking about us, Cobalt Fingers. I'm a classical guitarist by profession, and a painter/artist by avocation. I like the fact that in the visual arts, what you do is there to stay. When I practice and practice and nail the piece, it's gone as soon as it's played. For me, that's where the satisfaction comes in painting; I can see a finished product when I'm done, instead of only when I'm working on it.

Jamie

JamieWG
10-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Scott, don't feel so badly about the condition of your studio. Just look at mine---music piled up on the ledge all around the room, guitars strewn all over the place.....and my little dog's yellow ball....:-)

Jamie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2002/studio.jpg

DrLondon
10-04-2002, 02:00 PM
I used to do some acting. I thought I had a picture of me as Otto Frank sitting around my office somewhere but I must've taken that home.

Linoxyn
10-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Great thread Tim!

I have a sweet Guild acoustic which I haven't played much for a long time :(

I also love to work with wood. The first 'professional' looking thing I made was a crib for my first child. I make most of my own frames for my paintings in coloured traditional gesso and/or gold leaf. I have also build two easels (one is my beauty - all mahogany) and some nice painting palettes. I work with simple tools - but give me a wood project and I'm there :)

I won't post my studio... don't want to show the paintings in progress just to show my woodwork... unless I hold my Guild over them... :evil:

...the pictures being posted are great!

guillot
10-04-2002, 02:23 PM
I play music. Didn't go to college for it though. Throughout school I learned and played the flute, piccolo, oboe, saxophone, Tri-toms, english horn..........and I play piano/synthesizer. I made three states Honor Bands (TN, MS, and AR) all on different instruments. Wow, I miss those days!!

Nice Basement Scott!!

Don't play with wood.

Tina

DaveTooner
10-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Chromatic Harmonica:

http://heringusa.com/imagens/produtos/5264b.jpg

Wes Hyde
10-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Beautiful painting, Tim, and I’m looking forward to seeing some of your furniture.

Scott, love that basement studio—rough, unfinished… raw.

Amy, what do you play?

Nathan, when, exactly, do you plan on posting guitar pics. Don’t tease. Lol Will you be practicing Chopin? one of my favs.

Wayne, keeping your fingers is a very good idea. I, too, taught myself blues harp… only problem is, it’s painfully obvious. (Ferris Beuler [clarinet solo—finishes, turns to the camera: “Never had one lesson!”)

Jamie, this is what makes music transcendental: it’s seeming furtiveness coupled to it’s timeless link to place and time. I’d like to hear you play. Any albums?

Dr. London, Screen or playhouse? I used to be in a little drama troupe in the greater Phoenix area. It was fun… for awhile.

Lin, I’d like to see your easels; I need a new one. J

Tina, what are the piccolo and oboe if not wood? ;-) Quite multi-instrumental there.

Dave, do you play professionally?

As I mentioned above, I used to act, now I’m just a bad actor, or so my mother says. And I used to play violin. I studied for awhile with Marie Rhines (http://www.geocities.com/marie_rhines/), but I’ve found I’m best at playing second fiddle. I sang with a country band called Still Water, we cut an album, split right after. No one really got along, and I’m still sure I was too good for them. ;-) I’ve made a few tables, but they were of the outdoor variety, and I left the last one at a previous residence—hope the new owners appreciate and get as much use from it as I did. Before I was an artist, I was a writer. I’ve published a number of articles, short stories and poems. I taught haiku on the internet for awhile and had one of my haiku published in Frogpond, which is international with library subscribers—(my big moment. Lol)

I don’t have photos of anything, but, for what it’s worth, here’s a poem:

Four Paintings of the Artist With a Lover

Preface-A Leaf Falls

I present this to you as a painting:
a leaf falls, green, earthy--
Lucifer fell from Heaven
not yet scorched.

The impression of heat
resurrects red layers of sandstone
from sky to stream.

Blue carves sadness with its flow,
and carries a leaf
onto the canvas.

I. Baptism

Parallel to the marriage of earth and sky,
a horse colors the canvas
and is a woman.

-

At seventeen I tried to discover the road ahead,
saw spectres in sighing branches. I was conscious
of mountains; my future trembled like an image
on the surface of water. I look back now,
see the first raindrop strike, break the image,
try to reach out to hold her, to draw her
from the distance. My best friend stands behind me,
asks what I am doing. Billy makes six figures now,
insists I call him Bill. We shopped for America
on the other side of curtains, spent nights
in pursuit of our dreams, drank coffee
in the mornings with the same crush
on the same girl: that was growing up.

It was Phoenix, 98 degrees
at 10:PM with asphalt in my veins.
We had no idea where we were going
or what we would do when we got there.

The sign read, ‘Live Music Tonight!’
We stopped in, found salvation
in a storefront church. The music was loud,
rewritten songs from Van Halen and Bad Company.
I had never heard gospel like that.
Cathy was sixteen.
I went home and prayed,
put her down on canvas, learned to sleep
on the right side of my bed.

She kept her window unlocked,
showed me God, and the way
to deserted midnight phone booths looking for gas cans--
my car was always running out of gas.

We held hands, matched our steps,
tried to twin our heartbeats.
We celebrated celibacy, had all night discussions
on the use of contraceptives, named
unborn children waiting for marriage.
Love was a can of cola
at the end of a long walk, a pulse where dreams beat
backward between two shapes of the moon
--a white dog, which is death imagined,
and a white worm, which is death adorned--
both like two drops of blood.

Pavement was the pace we walked toward love,
but love was a poor kid, a Yeehaw!
a cowboy that rode the moon
across a hot-breathed popcorn sky.

II. J’adoube

Prefigured in blue, brush touches
become buffoon, harlequin, a horse
in the mouth of a woman.

-

Water accepts the color of ideals,
distorts reflections of clouds and plants,
shifts the position of objects it contains.
Here, the foliage bows down,
a spider balances on the surface,
darts for safety beneath the bank.

Water sings its own song,
pulls its current into the paint:
this silvery fish was a spoon
that slipped from her fingers,
handcuffed the mind it dismissed
before it touched the floor.
Time loses its color, forgets itself
as quickly as it is swallowed.

She notices negative space, the missing outline
of a spoon, bends to retrieve a flash
no sound betrayed. It is gone.
Between my fingers the spoon
became a rhyme I forced to please her,
a cliché that owned the moment,
an alliteration of fears that had no meter.

I wrote my fears on paper--a list
of lost cassettes, highways and wet matches--
drove to the top of Woody Mountain, burned them,
offered their bodies to the wind.

These lists, always these cruel lists.
They brighten the flame of memory
with tired lines and images used too often.

I was in love with the words,
drove into the desert, wrote sonnets,
lost her to the tumor.
I secretly slapped Chagal’s goat
for rituals of ink and poorly tuned violins.
Chagal understood love, deified it,
gave shape to four-leafed suffering.

I reinvented myself, raged, raved,
Rand McNallied my way across
a landscape of agonies and ideals,
avoided mountaintops, dreamed on egg shells,
fought back papier-mâché eyes with citron candles.

Love dreamt of being
while I slept, dreaming
of dreaming of dreaming of…
Stones about my neck
sink like shadows
and fall like wanting
toward the warmth.

III. Graphite and Winter Evening

A red path continues from wheat field
to universe, where a horse disgorges the world
in the movements of a woman.

-

This is the paper that was her eyes: Majora:
a page mixing the pulp of madness
with palpable silence. This is a vein of prose
where she curled on the sill behind Roget’s
making a comparison of tears. Minora:
delicate rice, haiku, a dog-eared page of Fleurs du Mal.

I sit where I always sit,
window opening on the forest,
golden last light, frost
of dry grass. I linger here
before turning back,
picture a curve of breast against the canvas--
the day shuts its eyes like a girl,
parts it’s lips to the night.

She dresses her sleep like a man,
in cool blue winter
where clouds come to wound the grass,
their teeth of stars and claws of shadow,
white mouth, white flesh, eyes filled with iron.

She sleeps where fog is a corpse along the bay-shore,
where gulls keen over an ocean of empty shells,
where a fiddler plays and I pay in waltzes,
sometimes with a tango,
a black rose in her teeth,
the flesh of memory gone.
I open my eyes to bones and ashes,
sift the soot for tears.

IV. The Left Side of the Bed

The green pigments are a horse,
realism on a background of two deuces
where I sleep, upside-down
in the morning paper, and a horse
lives in the heart of a woman.

-

Billy calls me on weekends, tells me
how his boys are doing, that he loves his wife.
His daughter from a previous marriage
is coming to visit next week.

I’m still trying to paint Cathy.

I need to clean my apartment.
There are a dozen empty cola cans
waiting to be thrown away, a glass of milk
souring on the coffee table, mail
to be opened. I don’t know why
I haven’t thrown away the box
of tampons beneath the bathroom sink.
Later, I’ll go buy more paints
and a new ¼ inch brush. I need
to bleed this asphalt from my veins.

After all these years of matchbooks
and misguided roses, I look back
for her reflection in my mirror, buy flowers
that blacken on the kitchen counter, hear her voice
when I’m alone, sleep on one side
of my bed--moths come in at night;
I have no screens, only this candle.

Snow melts on sodden earth
exposing rock, drips from my roof
leaving jagged teeth along the eaves.
Tomorrow there will be no snow,
yet I will still leave spaces bare
where seven lean cows swallowed seven fat.
No matter how many colors I wear
my bones still show through.

DrLondon
10-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Wes Hyde

Dr. London, Screen or playhouse? I used to be in a little drama troupe in the greater Phoenix area. It was fun… for awhile.

A little of both. More playhouse than screen though. A few years ago, I was in a B grade gangster flick that..., well I'll borrow a joke from Kirk Douglas' stand up comedian son "...it was in the video stores before it was finished." It did get into a couple of local film festivals (local meaning Dallas/Ft. Worth area). Did some murder mystery dinner theatre the last year and a half I was in college. That was a real beating. While I was in college, I tried to get an agent but no one was looking for my type at that time, that led to me pursuing makeup artistry instead. I did that for a couple of years and then after spending more than a year in Los Angeles I finally got fed up with showbiz altogether and just totally got out of it. Glad I went for it though.
One of these days, I'll probably try and hook up with a community theatre group again somewhere and get back into it a little.

Wayne Gaudon
10-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Wes

I, too, taught myself blues harp… only problem is, it’s painfully obvious .. so you know how I play. LOL Give myself a good laugh now and then and that's enough for me.

Nice stories in your poems.

musket
10-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm still a woodworker... I paint, but so far only in the context of decorative bird carvings. I'm learning to use oils for this now, and what the hey, might even try an easel painting one of these days, though I fear turning into a jack of all trades and master of none if I do...

From roughly 1971 to 1986, I made and repaired guitars for a living, full time. Here's a rather out of focus pic of my seventh, built in 1978. I don't build anymore, though I teach the craft from time to time. I built both flat top steelstrings like this one, and classicals.

I'm an accomplished guitarist, within limits. Blues based, with a generous helping of ideas from the great boogie pianists (Professor Longhair in particular, so I reckon I could call it rhumba boogie), the rockabilly guys, and a bit of surf. Started playing at age 16, in 1965.

DraigAthar
10-04-2002, 07:53 PM
Amy, what do you play?

Saxophone was my applied concentration at college, though I got an instrumental education degree so I was required to learn to play most band instruments. I'm best at woodwinds, could hold my own on brass and percussion when I was in practice, and I'm terrible at any string instrument. :)

Amy

cobalt fingers
10-07-2002, 09:18 PM
It's uncanny.

arourapope
10-07-2002, 10:22 PM
The only thing I can play is the stereo....which I play really, really well. :D I've carved some stone, though. Here's one:

Leopoldo1
10-07-2002, 10:37 PM
I really admire all you rennisance artists that take art beyond the confines of this forum. The only musical talent I displayed was in the 1st grade, when I could play Mary had a Little Lamb with some efficiently on my tonette! My only other talent latetly relating to music, has been making our musical friends at home in our new contruction, by positoning the overhead can lights over my wife's baby grand piano, so our friends, the opera singer can stand in the crook of the piano while her husband pounds the keys under the best of lighting situations for some future dinner party!.........L

PS: Oh I did make a copper copola last year over the art studios and found a wonderful recipe on the net for the rapid aging process of green patina like the centuries old copper roof tops of Europe....

I saw an interesting art subject the other day, across from the Portland Art Museum, carved into an old brick building wall. Going to use this idea outside on our old brick fireplace. This canvas should be interesting, if not, imbarassing and intertaining!...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2002/copala3.jpg

diane555
10-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Hi Cobalt

What a fun thread! Although I love music there isn't a musical bone in my body but I do fiber arts and wood working of all sorts. Started woodcarving 14 yrs ago because I wanted to make my son (then 2 yrs old) an old English style rocking horse for Christmas. A pic below.

Please bear in mind that it was only my second attempt at carving and after all these years he's in rather rough shape now. Brought my carving tools back with me from a visit home (Canada) this summer and I'm itching to make piles of wood chips in the studio soon!

I think in this thread alone we have enough musicians to have our own concert!! :D

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2002/rockhrsea.gif

Niv
10-08-2002, 09:44 AM
On a trip to England I once carved this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2002/stonehedge.jpg

JamieWG
10-08-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Niv
On a trip to England I once carved this:

Wow, Kevin, you must come from a family with great longevity genes! :-)

Jamie

JamieWG
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by musket
From roughly 1971 to 1986, I made and repaired guitars for a living, full time. Here's a rather out of focus pic of my seventh, built in 1978.

Dear Musket,

The guitar is gorgeous! I much prefer the shape of this instrument to those monster dreadnaught things.

I make guitars too....out of glass though. Here's one of mine. This one is 10" long. The tone isn't so hot, but it sure does have a nice glossy finish. ;-)

Jamie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2002/yellow_guitar.jpg

TeAnne
10-09-2002, 06:31 AM
Can't sing, can't dance, can't play anything. Have written a few poems and been published in papers, zines and little booklets. Nothing fancy.

~*~ WINNER OF THE ANNUAL Echoes Poetry Journal Message Board CONTEST ~*~ Got me $20USD :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Echoes Through My Mind

Echoes whisper from the distance
Challenging me, 'come and dance'
Hovering on the brink of loneliness
Offers like this so hard to repress
Evening evolves into velvety night
Silently drawn, into a new delight
Through passages unfamiliar I drift
Highway's promise to enchanted gift
Realms glistening in trophies bold
Overtly inviting remembrance old
Unlimited pleasures promise to come
Guilt and desire all rolled into one
Hastily we dance in seductive duet

My partner and I have only just met
Young and astral he makes me feel

Mind seduce and soul doth steal
In a trice, I collapse at his feet
Now concede my life's retreat
Death has been swift he was not un-kind
~
An apparition Echoes Through My Mind

TeAnne © June 1st 1999

AFKAG
10-09-2002, 09:18 AM
I'm a big fan of "grown-up toys". I guess that's why I work with computers. To justify my powertool-toy expense account, I built a simple, but rather nice pine bookshelf (with plenty of well hidden mistakes, just like my painting). I'm also working on a drum made of cedar. I learned the hard way that PINE DOESN'T BEND!! Without a digital camera (my next toy), I can't show them to you today, but I will soon.
Does anyone know where I can get a leather drum head in Atlanta:) (It's a long shot).

What's funny is that I started the woodworking about the same time I started painting! I guess it's some sort of 40 year old midlife thing....

AFKAG

Linoxyn
10-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Wes, my easel :) I know the jpeg is not too good - had to piece 3 images together. It is floor to ceiling and can hold a painting over 6 feet high. It has threaded rods to hold my painting in secure as I can tilt and raise and lower my painting with ease... hey it's and ease-l :D There is a place I can attach an angled glass palette along the bottom edge of the lower support though I haven't used it in a long time since I've gone over to a wooden palette. Hope my design inspires you Wes.

arourapope
10-09-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by AFKAG
Does anyone know where I can get a leather drum head in Atlanta:) (It's a long shot).

AFKAG

I might. I'll ask my hubby when he gets home. He's a drummer and we used to live in Athens. It may be that he knows where to get one in Athens, but that wouldn't be very far for you to go....

bschuetz
10-09-2002, 04:56 PM
To support my painting habits, I am a finish carpenter and the Executive Director of a rural art center. I also make furniture as well as frames for my paintings.

Kind of a work-aholic, or just can't make up my mind on what I want to do.

Keith Russell
10-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Greetings:

I play keyboards (have played jazz piano professionally), drums, and fretless bass. I ocasionally sing, though usually only alone, and with lots of processing.

Next year I hope to revamp my studio with a new keyboard, some digital recording software, and maybe a 6-string fretless bass, and get back to some serious recording!

Keith.

arourapope
10-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Afkag,
I asked him. He said if it's standard size you could probably find a head for it at Atlanta Pro Percussion. If it's not, then he doesn't know. Hope that helps some. :)
Aurora

lori
10-10-2002, 12:30 AM
i used to play cello...i make models also...so yes tim, you are right on the money...

here is me playing my cello with a calalilly for a performance/film that i did.

AFKAG
10-10-2002, 08:43 AM
That was very kind of you. I'll check it out.

AFKAG

captain bravo
10-10-2002, 12:07 PM
i also am a muscian of sorts. i played in a lounge act here in las vegas for years and had the same guys together for 31 years. i started painting after retirement from the lvfd. play on all you musical types!!!

Wes Hyde
10-10-2002, 12:12 PM
Captain Bravo, my question--and I think it must be the question on everyone's mind who reads this--is, do you know Wayne Newton? If you do, please tell Wayne the Danke Schoen remains one of my personal favorites...

Wes

nikpig
10-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Ello All :D

I've tried twice to learn guitar but failed miserably :( Pigs just have no rhythm.

But I'm really into soft furnishings and interior design, my other 'creativity' is with cash lol..being thrifty so I can afford more painting materials hehe.

I don't have an image to post of any other stuff i made so here's a pic of the creations I'm most proud of instead...little piglets in the sty??? lol

not a very good photo I'm afraid.

captain bravo
10-12-2002, 12:12 PM
to wes,
i don't know wayne newton although we did play on the same bill with him at a couple of the mda telathons. i used to see him as a teen at the old fremont lounge in the 60's. very talented...i wonder if he paint lol....bravo

DanaT
10-14-2002, 02:14 PM
All these great oil painters and great musicians here and NOT ONE oil painting of a guitar????? They're why I wanted to paint in oil.

Any one of you out there got a great guitar painting in your back shed? :D :cool:

jocelynsart
10-15-2002, 07:25 AM
Yes, I amke polymer clay jewellery and custom drawer pulls.

JamieWG
10-15-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by DanaT
All these great oil painters and great musicians here and NOT ONE oil painting of a guitar????? They're why I wanted to paint in oil.

Any one of you out there got a great guitar painting in your back shed? :D :cool:

Well, I did post one of my glass guitars to this thread.

Jamie

DanaT
10-15-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JamieWG

Well, I did post one of my glass guitars to this thread.

Jamie

It was gorgeous, Jamie. :) I was just hoping that all these great musicians and artists, I'd see ONE guitar painting.

JamieWG
10-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by DanaT

It was gorgeous, Jamie. :) I was just hoping that all these great musicians and artists, I'd see ONE guitar painting.

Thanks, Dana!

The guitar painting is on my "to do" list; you know the one I mean, which runs five pages or so? :cat:

Jamie

Wes Hyde
10-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Not a painting, but ink on paper--song lyrics...

belladonna
10-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by lori
i used to play cello

(((LORI))) I LOVE the cello!!! I want a cello. Such a rich sound. To play the cello would be wonderful. The cello is magic.

I don't play or have a cello. :( I play the piano, but usually only when I'm upset. Good classical music settles me. (I really, really, really want a cello.)

DanaT
10-16-2002, 07:12 PM
neat, Jamie!

captain bravo
10-17-2002, 05:17 PM
to dana,
you are right...i've had guitars around me for 40 years but i've
only been painting for a year and a half here's the first step towards a painting of my 1920 gibson L3 ... it's a bad scan of a terrible picture but you may get the idea. it's on a pirce of standard hardboard 8x10. would the background be better darker or lighter????

captain bravo
10-17-2002, 05:26 PM
when i sent the last reply, my attachment didn't attach.....duh

captain bravo
10-17-2002, 05:46 PM
third try is the charm let's see what gives ...

Wes Hyde
10-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Sometimes we just need a little help from our friends...

JamieWG
10-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Hey, Wes, that is so cool!!! Congratulations on being the first guitarist here to put forth a related painting! (It IS on my "To Do" list. Do I get any credit for that? ;-))

Jamie

captain bravo
10-17-2002, 09:50 PM
wes, thanks for bringing the image up for me...what did i do wrong????? captain bravo

arourapope
10-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Bella, I think you should have a cello. You look like you would go well with a cello. Get a cello girl!

Wes Hyde
10-18-2002, 12:35 AM
Jamie--Oh good lord, it looks like I posted an image *I* painted! No, no, this is Captain Bravo's work, the guitar painting. I just fixed it up so it could be posted and posted it so everyone could see.

Capain Bravo, you were using a bmp.file, and you need a jpg, plus it was too big. Do you have PhotoDelux? That's the program I use, and I took your bmp (after it finally loaded (lol)) and readjusted the setting to 72 pixels per inch, 500 pixels wide, and saved it as a jpg.

Which reminds me, I promised someone in the watercolor forum I'd do a quick how-to on piecing together scanned images. Yikes! That was like... a month or more ago.

CB, if you need any more help, just ask and I'll be happy to oblige.

Wes

JamieWG
10-18-2002, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Wes Hyde
Jamie--Oh good lord, it looks like I posted an image *I* painted! No, no, this is Captain Bravo's work, the guitar painting. I just fixed it up so it could be posted and posted it so everyone could see.Wes

Hey, Wes! How's it going? Yes, I did eventually figure that out. <duh!> So, Captain Bravo, the congrats go to you!

Jamie

belladonna
10-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by aurorapope
Bella, I think you should have a cello. You look like you would go well with a cello. Get a cello girl!

It's on my 'wish list.' ;)

captain bravo
10-18-2002, 10:28 AM
jamiewg,
thanks , but this was just a rough step toward a finished guitar painting. i slathered some acrylic on to color the background till i see what color will compliment the guitar. i plan to leave the face subdued and the hands slightly muted so that the instrument is the focal point. hope to do some more today.

captain bravo
10-20-2002, 11:47 AM
danat and others who wondered about gittar paintings...you inspired me to do this little study....oil on standard hardboard ,8x10, prepared with flat white spray so i could scratch out details like frets, strings, binding. it's a gibson L3, made in 1920.

captain bravo
10-20-2002, 01:34 PM
i'll try one more time to post an image and then i'll slit my wrists....

JamieWG
10-20-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by captain bravo
i'll try one more time to post an image and then i'll slit my wrists....

Oh, no! Are you still there? We can't let anything happen to you; after all, you're the first one who's done a guitar painting! We need to see this for inspiration (and a good swift kick in the pants).

Jamie

WFMartin
10-20-2002, 07:08 PM
Well, since everyone's getting their two cents in, I might as well, also.

Music was my hobby, until I went deaf suddenly (within a couple of hours on one weekend) in one ear. This was NOT related to loud music or anything external.

I have played electric guitar and tenor saxophone with country bands, and acoustic guitar, mandolin, and 5-string banjo with bluegrass groups. Bluegrass is really my first love, but there's more money in country.

My eldest son, who plays fiddle/mandolin and I used to do some gigs in bluegrass.

I do so miss it!

Bill:(

belladonna
10-21-2002, 12:08 AM
This is some kind of guitar thing that a friend of mine was refinishing a long while back. It is not a painting, but it is the start of an idea for one. I have no idea what it is called though. Anyone?

belladonna
10-21-2002, 12:12 AM
The people that brought it to my friend, inherited it, and had no clue what it was either. Here's a detail. Sure is pritty!

Wes Hyde
10-21-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by belladonna
I have no idea what it is called though. Anyone?

Bella, it's called, Cool! :-)

Wes

belladonna
10-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Wes - hehehe I thought so too! Sure would be something for a still life. :D

Wes Hyde
10-21-2002, 12:18 AM
No doubt. Your friend's going to paint it?

Too bad they don't have Google for images...

Wes

belladonna
10-21-2002, 12:59 AM
Wes - He gave it a natural finish. It was bashed up bad when he got it to work on. It looked good leaving his shop but I don't have a shot of it finished and strung. Still these photos are good enough for reference picts. :D

captain bravo
10-23-2002, 08:44 AM
i feel like such a dummy, i'll try posying this once more