PDA

View Full Version : The GIMP

ArtistEnigma
10-04-2002, 12:22 AM
I've spoken with a lot of users that want to get into digital art but don't have the means of doing so. Not everybody has access to Photoshop. Some can't really put out the $100 for Paintshop Pro. I wanted to share this alternative but never got around to it.

This program is called The GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program).
It used to just be for Linux I believe but now is available for Windows. It's completely free and is actually quite powerful. No ads or anything, no personal info that needs to be given. You can download plugins for it and everything. I use Photoshop and Paintshop Pro and found that The Gimp has a lot of the same features that both of these programs have. It's a small download as well. :)

The GIMP Website (http://www.gimp.org/)
Direct Download of The GIMP (ftp://ftp.arnes.si/software/gimp-win/gimp-1.2.4-20020907-setup.zip) 6054 kB (6 mb)

dk_art
10-04-2002, 03:06 AM
I had tried the GIMP ... It appears to be quite full featured but it's graphics tablet support under windows 98 when I tried it was not good. I think the Linux version was more refined at the time. I also recall not liking all the windows it had as an interface ...but it's been a while. It's worth a try for someone who wants a free app with lots of features though.

(Gotta love that doggie mascot though :) )

crazy_cat
10-04-2002, 04:57 AM
The Gimp has come a long way! The windows version is better but still some bugs. Hey what program isn't buggy under windows? The Gimp is open source which is great! We have several Linux machines on our network at home and the program works great there. And yes you can even use your Wacom with Linux! Anyone that wants a free version of pshop this is the way to go! There is a compiler for windows preset so you can drop it in and unpack it and be on your way with a GREAT free program!

Here is the direct link for the Windows version:

http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

blkros
10-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Gimp is nice, and with script fu you can do many things. It's biggest shortcoming is in print applications, because it only works at screen resolution. Which means that you can't print at more than 96 dpi. (Unless they've been able to fix this recently, and I haven't heard anything.) As soon as they do I'm ditching Photoshop, Illustrator, and Windows completely.:D

crazy_cat
10-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Here is the latest tablet info for Linux/Wacom:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO.html

Gimp is awesome with the Redhat 7 Can't wait to get my hands on version 8! As far as the printing issues. You may be able to work around that if you know someone that runs Linux. I am sure this is something that can be worked out in the source code on Linux and they could possibly convert the code for the source install for windows. Not sure. I haven't looked at it to see if that is an option.

blkros
10-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Actually the printing thing is probably the the biggewst problem with Gimp, and everyone makes a note of it, but, no one seems to be doing anything about it. (For several years now.) This includes many, many linux people. This may have changed since the last time I tried it ( I know there's a new release as odf August, but, I don't know.)