PDA

View Full Version : Wallis Under-drawing

LeslieErica
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I have so much fallen in love with pastels that, even though I'm the beginning-ist of beginners, I invested in some Wallis Pastel Paper after getting a sample of it at my local art store.

On the sample that I got, I tested charcoal and its erase-ability and discovered that it is not erasable at all on this paper. I've been taught to draw and do a value study in charcoal under the pastels.

Since charcoal cannot be erased, what do you suggest that I do my initial drawing with? Or am I just supposed to be so good at drawing that I shouldn't use this paper until I can draw better? What do you do?
Thanks
Leslie

Paula Ford
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Leslie, Anything you use is going to stain the paper and will not be able to be 100% removed. If you were to tone the paper first, it would be easier to remove charcoal.

To tone the paper, lay down a light layer of pastel, rub it all in to stain the whole piece of paper one color, and then brush it all off with a foam brush. Make sure you brush it off thoroughly so that all of the tooth is unclogged. Then when you are doing the study in charcoal and if you make a mistake, use the foam brush to flick off the charcoal.

The advice you received, to do a value study in charcoal under the pastels, is sound advice. I do it all the time and love working with both charcoal and pastels together.

Deborah Secor
08-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Here's a thread (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401768)from a while back showing the technique Paula mentions. If you tone the Wallis paper, you can whisk away the charcoal drawing, or paint right over the top of it. I've done it for years.

LeslieErica
08-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Thank you so much, Paula and Deborah. I really appreciate your help. I'm going to look at your link now.

PeggyB
08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Alan Flattmann, PSA Master Pastelist, IAPS Master circle, author, and gifted instructor does a complete value study on Wallis, and then totally seals it with permanent fixative so the charcoal doesn't blend at all with subsequent layers of pastel. This technique works very well, and creates a "road map" of values to follow in color. The Wallis paper is so textured there is plenty of tooth left for pastel.

Peggy