PDA

View Full Version : Sulphur Crested Cockatoos

crumbedbrains
10-03-2002, 03:34 AM
Hi all,
Thought I'd post an older one of mine coz I finally got copyright clearance on it. Some of you may have seen bits of it or an unrecognisable postage stamp sized version before (trying to do the right thing here! lol).
Anyway, size is a full Canson sheet.
The bloody gallery owner bought it!!! Then she complains I'm not doing paintings fast enough to get some on the walls!! LOL Nice problem though!
Cheers
Crumby

IMAGE NOW BELOW . . .

Charles Perera
10-03-2002, 04:06 AM
This is attractive. I am trying to copy your style, in painting some roses. Like using kleenex to wipe an overroll color on to paper and sharpening the hard pastels etc. It is still a long way to go. I hope I will one day do a painting like you do..........(lol)

Charles

olika
10-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Thank you, Crumby... this is absolutely stunning!! If I had the money I would fly down there and get you to show me how to paint so beautifully and so realistically. I can't say enough... simply wonderful! :clap: :clap: :D

crumbedbrains
10-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Sorry,
I posted an image that was taken with a poor quality camera.
:rolleyes:
This one should be better
Crumby

GeraldineNesbitt
10-03-2002, 07:28 AM
Wow! amazing, what is your working method?

regards
Geraldine

TeAnne
10-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Beautiful 3D effect Crumbles. I love how you handled the atmospheric perspective. Bonza job mate :D:clap:

Olga
10-03-2002, 08:52 AM
Hi Crumby
I feel I can only second what others said above. Your skill is amazing. Another realistic tour de force. And the composition and colors are very satisfying too.

This is so impressive I hardly dare to put in a critical note, but I am not sure I like the abrupt transition and contrast between the very sharp focus in front and the blur in the background. In my eyes, it makes it look like a photo with a shallow depth of field... But then, maybe that contrast is actually appealing... it does look like it has a lot of depth, but somehow not natural... depends what one is aiming to achieve, I suppose

What incredible patience you have....
Olga

Redsy333
10-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Wow!! Another Beautiful Picture!! I can see why they bought this up, Its like looking through a window!!! Amazing;)

chookbrown
10-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Hey Cb, another truly amazing piece......just like the others, wonderful...

Everyone should check out Tom's new website (http://www.tommacbeth.com) if you haven't already done so......

I'll toot his horn for him seeing he is so shy...... yeah right.... ;)

Colleen :D :D :D

KarenU
10-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Absolutely beautiful Crumby!

Jakeally
10-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Wow....absolutely fantastic:clap: :clap: :clap:

maverick
10-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Awesome as usual Crumby! I don't know how you do it, even after watching your WIP threads. I don't think I have the patience to get this kind of detail. Wow!

Slowdown
10-04-2002, 05:44 AM
Well I have just arrived back in Malta after my short holiday back home to Australia and this painting brings back so many memories. Awsome job crumb!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
10-04-2002, 10:05 AM
Thanks for looking all . . and for the supportive comments.

Charles: bit flattering . . I guess you mean you're trying some techniques I use . . the tissues and all . . good stuff! fun to experiment too . . I love it when I play around and find things that work for me. I go through boxes of tissues! . . right now using some impregnated with Aloe Vera outta desperation!! LOL *must buy more tissues*

Geraldine . . work method is fairly haphazard as seen in this WIP thread I did . .but it gives you the idea:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54266&highlight=frog

Olga: Dead right!! My thoughts exactly . . no middle ground on this one . . It was one of my "earlier pieces" LOL (only ever done about 15 paintings! This was about number 10 or so. . . the first 9 were garbage!! LOL) To be honest though, this was the second painting I did where I had developed my technique for fine detail . . struggled with poor quality soft pastels till then. I was concentrating on trying to obtain detail at this point and didn't care much for backgrounds (which I've since learned are harder to do well!!) :rolleyes:

As an aside I was also trying to develop compositional skills which I knew I sadly lacked. So I tried a series of diagonals here which intersected around the focal area . . the two birds heads. The diagram below tries to show what I mean . . there are subtle points where these diagonals are inferred (eg . .the base of the stump, the twig sticking out of the branch upper left, the line that follows the two crests through to the wildflowers, the line joining the two eyes, etc etc . .even the outline of the leaves top right and the main branch top eft parallel other diagonals) . . .just toying around with it really. When I look at this painting without the lines, I still see heaps of diagonals.

Now, Chooky . . OK you've managed to embarrass. But folks, the fact is, that Chooky is my webdesigner and here's the real plug . . . if you've ever thought of getting a web page, see Chook. I mean, if you knew what a computer idiot I am you'd know what a challenge it might have been . . but Chook (at my request) talked to me as if I were three years old and guided me through the whole proces so easily. I couldn't believe how easy it actually was and it didn't take long. Embarrassed now Chook? I hope so!! LOL

Slowdown: good to see ya back at WC mate but Malta's gain is our loss. Oi Oi Oi

Cheers all,
Crumby
Keep Smiling
:) :)

chookbrown
10-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains

Now, Chooky . . OK you've managed to embarrass. But folks, the fact is, that Chooky is my webdesigner and here's the real plug . . . if you've ever thought of getting a web page, see Chook. I mean, if you knew what a computer idiot I am you'd know what a challenge it might have been . . but Chook (at my request) talked to me as if I were three years old and guided me through the whole proces so easily. I couldn't believe how easy it actually was and it didn't take long. Embarrassed now Chook? I hope so!! LOL

Cheers all,
Crumby
Keep Smiling
:) :)

Nah, take more than that to embarrass me CB....all I can say besides thanks for the plug is.............

Great art deserves a great website to show it off.......yours is great art IMHO and I hope you feel you've got a great website to showcase it....

cheers,

Chook
:D :D :D

surreal
10-05-2002, 12:26 PM
Beautiful piece!

arizona
10-05-2002, 12:41 PM
crumbledbrains,

I couldn't believe it wasn't a photo at first! Wow.
Visited your website too, wow.... I am speechless.........