PDA

View Full Version : old acrylic .. new oil ????

Wayne Gaudon
10-02-2002, 08:48 PM
I have a landscape painted in acrylic .. don't really like the landscape rendering but I like the composition.

Could I cover it with retouch varnish and then paint over it with oils using the acrylic as sort of an underpainting? I think I've read that putting oil over acrylics is not the greatest for sticking. This painting is probably 10 years old.

thank you,

paintfool
10-02-2002, 09:35 PM
I've read quite a bit here as well as elsewhere that indicates that acrylics are not great under oils. Adhesion problems, from what i understand. If it's the composition that you like you would probably be better off starting fresh and using it as a reference.
Cheryl

Wayne Gaudon
10-03-2002, 05:53 AM
Cheryl .. thank you
.. I've read the same but I haven't read anything that would deal with adding a layer of retouch varnish and then painting on the varnish as retouch varnish is a very good base. Has anyone read or hear of such a thing.

Titanium
10-03-2002, 07:47 AM
Wayne the answer your looking for here is in
- expansion factor
and
- adhesion
and
- elasticity.

Oils work best on a panel,with something to adhere
to physically,and have little ability to flex especially
when they cure and begin to age.
[ I am not sure resin was meant to be a glue nor do
I believe a resin will chemically affect positive adhesion
to acrylic ].

Acrylic paint and acrylic primer are not the same.

As usual,if your not concerned with archival quality,who
cares ?
Let conservation take the blows.
Titanium

Wayne Gaudon
10-03-2002, 08:00 AM
Titanium

not so much archival but the piece is 36 x 48 inches and I would hate to sell someone a canvas for 4 figures and have it fall apart a few years down the road .. I'll just scrap the old piece and redo it in oils from scratch.

Later,

Niv
10-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
Acrylic paint and acrylic primer are not the same.

Titanium - Are you saying that acrylic gesso will work as a primer but not acrylic paint or are they both suspect in terms of longevity? While I'm not worried about my paintings surviving 300 years, I do like to work from properly prepared (and high-quality) materials so I can concentrate on my work (which needs it).