PDA

View Full Version : Blick Canvas-Covered Book

robertsloan2
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I got a surprise package from Dick Blick a few days ago, a thank you for all the times I've posted honestly about their great service and low prices (unbeatable, actually, after all these years they keep surprising me with those things) and for tossing more than half my spending money at them for the past five years. Hardly a month goes by that I don't do a Blick order.

This sketchbook, from the goodie box, is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", hardback with a black cover and a cool natural canvas sewn book cover with the Blick logo on a small stitched pocket. The pocket holds seven or eight loose pencils, depending on how thick they are. In the pocket, they sent a sample pack of three Blick Studio drawing pencils, HB, 2B and 4B.

The hardback sketchbook is still available at the site for $3.99 - a good bargain for a hardbound sketchbook. It's got smooth bright white pages, fairly lightweight but sturdy and they did stand up to some heavy erasing when I tried it. I couldn't find the canvas book cover on the site, but I may be looking in the wrong places for it. Or they might have discontinued it. It's very cool. It's handy having the pencils on it!

So I used those pencils to do the first page on the inside, and sprayed Blick Workable Matte Fixative on it so that it doesn't smudge the canvas flap or inside cover. I did the sketch in HB and then built up the darks with 2B, then built up the deepest darks again with 4B. That got me some good deep darks. I spent about fifteen minutes on it and Ari rolled around a bit, sat up and washed himself and laid down again during the process. He moved his paws like that after I got most of his face in so I had to add in the paws.

I'll have fun using more dry mediums in this sketchbook. It may become another one like the Scribble Sketch books with lots of quick studies and cat sketches. A slightly longer cat study looked like a good thing to open it up with!

DrDebby
08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
The pocket on the front of the book cover sounds great. Have you tried putting a small selection of pens in there? Covers like that can be re-used. Just buy a new sketchbook, strip the cover off the full one and put it on the next one.

Ari is adorable sleeping like that. Great use of pencils to create the values.

virgo68
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice sketch to start the book off with :)

The sketchbook itself sounds great and I like the idea of the cover to hold your pencils or pens. I am sure you will put it to good use ;)

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Yep! The cover's permanent. The sketchbook's only $3.99 so I'll have no qualms about filling it again and again. Thanks, Debby and Jackie!

I think pens are a great idea because the clips will hold them in the pocket when I'm turning it in order to get at this or that part of the drawing. When I'm drawing, I take the rest of the pencils out and put them on the table or they wind up in my lap or on the floor. But pens might stay put!

eyepaint
08-03-2010, 01:39 PM
So fluffy :) :) :)

Zenica
08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Robert,

Could you post pictures of this new toy?! I know I would be glad to see it. Also could you find the link for the sketchbook on dick blicks? I am still looking for it.

Zen

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I think this is the sketchbook - http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-hardbound-sketchbook/ but it might be this one instead: http://www.dickblick.com/products/canson-basic-sketchbooks/ - the description on the Blick one says it has cream colored pages but the pages on mine are bright white.

I've started another page in it with Scavenger Hunt sketches of my cat, so when I finish that page I'll post them. Meanwhile, here's a photo of my Blick goodies all spread out, the sketchbook is among them.

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh what the heck, I posted it in the Scavenger Hunt thread, I'll post it here. You'll see it again when the page is done too. I like how this little pen sketch came out, I got his expression well. Could not resist that adorable look.

Zenica
08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow! Did they give you all of that?! Nice recycled bag too. I've never seen that set of pastels from faber-castel. Probably never looked at them but they seem kind of cool. I also see your "big-brush-pen" set too :D

Zen

robertsloan2
08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
They are good oil pastels. They're not the usual Faber Castell line, the Goldfaber ones are children's oil pastels but these seem geared more to illustrators and adult hobbyists. Yep, that's where I got the big brush pen set! I'm really enjoying all of the items in this package - and the good green recycling bag is one that I'm going to use till it falls apart, it's excellent.

DrDebby
08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL. Ari washing. Too cute.

robertsloan2
08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I love that one. I've seen him do it thousands of times and always thought it was so cute when he does that, but this time I managed to sketch it before he stopped.

Whisperwood
08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Robert the first sketch of Ari is beautiful! I just wanna hug him!!! And the scavenger hunt one is great too, you really captured that look when they wash their head, very cute!

TaniaBee
08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Robert, what an awesome little sketchbook & that cover can be really handy if you're going out and want to grab a 'on the go' sketchbook!!

You know how much i love Ari, but that front page is just awesome and his cute little expression for the scavenger hunt is priceless - he looks so content with life!! Great drawings & absolutely awesome art supplies (you know i'm still jealous right - LOL :D )

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks! And thanks for reminding me I have tons of supplies, I'm fighting the addiction so that I can hang onto my savings even though I got all these coupons in my email.

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Finished the second page, still with Scavenger Hunt drawings of Ari.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2010/70184-Blick-Book-Page-2.jpg
Blick Sketchbook, Page 2 - Hunt For My Cat
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Fountain pen and Pigma Micron pen
White 65lb sketchbook paper
All from life for Scavenger Hunt 187.

Whisperwood
08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Awesome!

DrDebby
08-05-2010, 01:27 PM
It's amazing how many scavenger hunt items Ari can fill each week. LOL

These are really good. Love the claw sheath.

robertsloan2
08-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you! With this particular Scavenger Hunt, my self-challenge is to complete all 26 of them with Ari.

On the third page, I chose one of the August Landscape Challenge images and used the 12 color 2005 New Colors set of Prismacolors that Blick sent me in the same package - an odd limited palette that seemed perfect for a rocky coast in Jamaica.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2010/70184-August-Landscape-Challenge-Rocky-Shore-Jamaica.jpg
Rocky Shore in Jamaica
3 3/4" x 5"
Prismacolor Premier colored pencils (2005 New Colors set)
65lb white sketchbook paper (Blick hardbound sketchbook)
Photo reference by rugman for August 2010 Landscape Challenge

Meanwhile, Sascha watched some Jeff Corwin Experience episodes with me and painted me something special in Crayola oil pastels, a sea turtle laying her eggs under the full moon on a beach.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2010/70184-Sea-Turtle-Laying-Eggs-Sascha.jpg

virgo68
08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Robert - Ari is great, I really like these quick gestural sketches and your landscape lovely too (saw it over in cp!). Sascha is a wonderful little artist, the turtle is just too cute....!

robertsloan2
08-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Thank you! It's amazing. She's only six and every now and then she uses these advanced techniques. I show them to her and she's quietly soaking it all in when she watches me.

vhere
08-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Lovely lively sketches of Ari - and how nice to get a thank you book :)

TaniaBee
08-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Robert, I'm an addict too - in fact i'm going to the art shop today after work :D
YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!

Love your Ari page - it's fabulous & that landscape is just gorgeous & you used that limited pallet so well.

Sascha is absolutely gorgeous!!! i see a young artist budding & with such a great tutor she's going to grow from strength to strength :)

DrDebby
08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
The landscape is wonderful. Lovely colors you have there.

Sascha's turtle drawing is just great. The negative space moon is just awesome.

robertsloan2
08-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Thank you! Tania, enjoy your shopping trip. That sounds like so much fun. I haven't decided what to put on the lower half of that page, it probably ought to be something serious in color though.

robertsloan2
08-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Today, I finished the page with the landscape challenge on it. I decided since I was doing this page in colored pencils, to do one of the Colored Pencil Challenge photos. I also used Blick Artists' Colored Pencils. I bought the full range set of 72 as soon as they came out, because I had good experience with Blick house brand products. I wasn't disappointed. I was delighted.

I'd forgotten how soft, how smooth and creamy these colored pencils are. They're gorgeous, a joy to use and the price is quite low for artist grade colored pencils. Photo reference for the tangerines by Patty_S from the RIL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2010/70184-Blick-Book-Page-3-CP.jpg
Blick Book, Page 3
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Colored pencils on paper.

robertsloan2
08-09-2010, 12:46 AM
And a couple more Ari sketches for today, for the Scavenger Hunt. I used a ball point. It was surprising, very liberating. I hadn't really thought of a ballpoint as a good sketching pen before since I'm so used to technical pens, but I loosened up with it and was able to draw quick and bold. I got him so fast that he held the pose through two sketches!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2010/70184-Hunt-187-11-12.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 187, #11 and #12
3 1/2" x 5 1/2" (including text)
Ball point on paper in Blick hardbound sketchbook.

DrDebby
08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
The tangerines look ripe. I think I should pick them now. LOL

Great Ari poses for round and flat.

robertsloan2
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you! It's been a long time since I relaxed and did anything that polished in colored pencils. I had a lot of fun with the tangerines. Here's some more Ari sketches still in ball point. I just stuck that pen into the pocket of the sketchbook because I'm having so much fun with it that I wanted to keep it handy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2010/70184-Blick-Book-Page-4.jpg
Ari Sketches for Scavenger Hunt 187
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Ball point pen
65lb white sketch paper in Blick hardbound sketchbook
All from life, many of them from a moving, fidgeting cat.

virgo68
08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
The colours of your tangerines look suitably "juicy" - very rich and inviting. Ari is great value as a model! I like "round" and "whiskers" very much ;)

DrDebby
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
More great Ari bits. Are these all still for the same scavenger hunt?

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Thank you! I'm having fun with the Hunt For My Cat! Hide and Sketch, that's what my life's been for the past few days!

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 08:34 PM
More of the Ari sketches for the Scavenger Hunt. These are still in ballpoint from life. Only four more to go!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2010/70184-Ari-Sketches-Hunt-187-18-22.jpg

DrDebby
08-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Quite a challenge you set yourself to sketch Ari for all the hunt items. The ball point pen is working well for these. Nicely done.

robertsloan2
08-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Thank you! Here's the page finished up - and the Hunt almost finished up. The very last item is "Neutral" so to get his beautiful neutral color coat, I want to draw him in color. I'll probably go for colored pencils or watercolor pencils. The last one might be in the other sketchbook though.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2010/70184-Blick-Book-Page-5.jpg
Blick Book, Page Five
Scavenger Hunt 187 items 18-25
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Ballpoint pen on white sketchbook paper, from life.

DrDebby
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
The expression on the face in soft is priceless!

Whisperwood
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Oh Robert what fun to do all these with Ari! Wow you're getting SO good with all this Ari Practice!!! I bet you could draw him with your eyes closed by now lol! And love the peaches and rocky coast!

robertsloan2
08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Thank you both! It's helping me a lot. When he moves, it's easier to remember how he looked in a previous pose to finish the sketch. I almost did this one from memory because he spent most of the day in hiding! Stayed out of sight till five this afternoon, but I finally caught him!

I chose the Derwent Drawing Pencils because their soft muted colors were perfect for the subtle hues of his fur.

And here he is - #26, Neutral! I completed The Hunt For My Cat!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2010/70184-Hunt-187-26.jpg
Ari - Scavenger Hunt #26, Neutral (colors)
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Derwent Drawing Pencils
White sketchbook paper from Blick hardbound sketchbook.
From life of course, and I couldn't even find him till five this afternoon. He was hiding! Then he came out and I followed him around to get the sketch. After that, he came up on the bed so while I was shading in the sketch I had him there in many other positions to check for colors and markings.

What a chase!

mhimeswc
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Lovely sketches of Ari, Robert. I liked your scavenger hunt list, but I seem to have lost focus on sketching the last week or so. Too many other distractions.

DrDebby
08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
The Derwents are perfect for an Ari drawing. He hid because he knew you wanted to draw him.

vhere
08-13-2010, 06:03 AM
lovely

I know what you mean about beige and brown - my tortoiseshell tabby has the most beautiful colours in her coat - creams and apricots and soft cool beige, darker browns and blacks - all sorts of warm/cool variations.

There is a set of Skintone pencils by Lyra that have a gorgeous variety of these colours. I wouldn't find them enough for portraiture as I'd want blues/greens/reds etc but they do make really interesting drawings in a limited brown/beige warm/cool colour range.

robertsloan2
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you! Mickey, that happens sometimes. Occasionally even if it's a list I really like, other things come up and I don't wind up doing the Hunt. Then I get interested, a new list goes up but it's got a lot of things I don't have access to, so it can be frustrating sometimes.

Debby, you are absolutely right. He hid because he knew I wanted to draw him. He's clever that way. Cats like games, and my chasing him down for that hunt was definitely a game.

Vivien, thank you! She sounds like such a beautiful cat. I'd love to see you do her in those Lyra pencils. I thought of getting that set several times, it just keeps slipping in priority because I've got a lot of other colored pencils. Blick's got it though, so one of these times it'll get into one of my orders.

One of the challenges in this week's WDE by Valri Ary is to try to use someone else's style. So here's my Homage to EP:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2010/70184-Challenge-WDE-EP-style.jpg
Homage to Eyepaint
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Ball point pen
Blick hardback sketchbook paper
Photo references by Valri_Ary for WDE August 13, 2010, challenge by Valri_Ary to try someone else's style. EP, your style is tough! It looks simple but that's deceptive - it's very challenging! Especially drawing the boxes first.

DrDebby
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I recognize EP's style of setting up the page. But, you have added more detail than EP does. Not that these aren't wonderful sketches. They are. I especially like the sleeping kitty and the sea turtle.

robertsloan2
08-13-2010, 09:44 PM
You're right. I sure did. EP has a very difficult, sophisticated style that's deceptively simple -- it's as tough as doing sumi-e. But I had fun trying to do it.

eyepaint
08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Hee hee. Yes, I omit details most of the time.

You're right. I sure did. EP has a very difficult, sophisticated style that's deceptively simple -- it's as tough as doing sumi-e. But I had fun trying to do it.

Thanks, Robert. It's simple - just me and my pen and a blank page. There's a bit of thinking ... which photo part(s) will fit into the available boxes. And then the "whoops I did not mean to put that line there ... now how can I incorporate it?" It's not sophisticated :)

mhimeswc
08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Hee Hee! I love your "EP" sketches!

virgo68
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Good job Robert and nice homage to EP! You are so right - sometimes the simplest, naive styles are the hardest - I had terrible trouble trying to emulate the impressionists! Don't you think that sometimes it is most difficult to know what to leave out rather than what to put in?!

robertsloan2
08-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Thank you! Jackie, you're so right. I know when I'm doing Faux Asian painting that I'm starting to move in that direction, but EP's style is very subtle and I haven't practiced it much. I probably could, it's an interesting approach.

robertsloan2
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Today, more loose ballpoint sketching for the current Scavenger Hunt. Of course Ari got in there this time, he posed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2010/70184-Hunt188-7-through-11.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 188 - Items 7 through 11
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
No-name ballpoint pen
Blick hardbound sketchbook paper, 65lb white.

DrDebby
08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
It wouldn't be a scavenger hunt without at least one sketch of Ari. Nicely done. The ball point pen sketches really seem to be working well for you.

virgo68
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I like the humble old ball point - they make for some interesting textures and tones. Another great page Robert - I really like the jeweled one.......!

robertsloan2
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Thank you both! That cool pill case is a gift from my daughter, she got it at a medieval event and when I started to need daily medication she gave it to me. I've always really liked it and it makes it a lot easier to keep track of. Instead of the depressing seven-day plastic pill case with the name of some antidepressant on it, this has much more of a Renaissance luxury feeling and reminds me of the up side - the way my medication makes it possible for me to do things I couldn't manage without it.

Today I had my regular checkup with my GP. Turns out I lost some weight, which was a surprise because I've been eating a lot more in the past month. I started taking a milk thistle supplement to fight the chronic fatigue and it gave me a huge appetite. It's also just about doubled how much physical activity I can manage and that's been dramatic.

So in the waiting room I sketched Sascha and her stuffed toy turtle Blinkie. She likes being drawn and gave me a huge wide grin, but insisted I had to draw Blinkie too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2010/70184-Blinkie-Sascha.jpg
Sascha Holding Blinkie
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Cheap mechanical pencil
Blick hardbound sketchbook 65lb white drawing paper.

On the following page I sketched a couple of things, shark from a magazine photo and tree from a wall photo, both varied so much from their sources that I didn't violate copyright.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2010/70184-DoctorsWaitingRoomSketches-August-16-2010.jpg
Waiting Room Sketches
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
No-name ballpoint pen
Blick hardbound sketchbook 65lb white drawing paper.

DrDebby
08-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Well of course you had to draw Blinkie too. Your granddaughter is quite charming. The shark and tree are interesting. I like the way the tree has branches almost to the ground on one side. And I wish I had your problem of weight loss. :wink2:

Davkin
08-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Wonderful sketch of your daughter Robert. It shows just how much can be accomplished with relatively few lines.

David

robertsloan2
08-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Granddaughter. My daughter's thirty, this one's six, David. She is incredibly cute though, and this time I did really get her likeness. Some smudge shading vanished in the scan but the lines are strong enough to work.

Debby, thanks. Of course I had to draw Blinkie too. She got me to draw Clickie the real box turtle who lives in our yard when we had her in for a day. She really wanted to keep the turtle as a pet, so when my daughter Kitten (Lily) decided not to invest in the huge cage and all the equipment, she bought Blinkie for Sascha. She seems satisfied, especially since she knows Clickie is going to mate outdoors and nest in the area - we found her last year too and she's grown a bit.

The tree did have branches almost to the ground on one side, that was one of the things I liked about it. I'll probably finish the page with more ball point sketches tomorrow or the next day -- it's becoming a fun sketchbook to have around for whatever comes up!

TaniaBee
08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Robert, Sascha is beautiful and i love her little blinkie - just the cutest!!
Nice to put a face to the name.

robertsloan2
08-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Thank you! Yep, this is the best likeness of her I've done so far and it's tough. She is the hardest person I've ever drawn. Not least because she's not as good at sitting still and posing as my cat is! I'm not kidding, she's worse than Ari for not sitting still. Her idea of sitting still is "stay on the chair and kick her legs and spin in circles while chattering."

virgo68
08-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Sascha sounds like such a joy and your sketch reflects that, I think it is lovely. She would be a perfect model for a fairy or pixie....!

hydgirl
08-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Robert - Another interesting mix of sketches! The tangerine sketch is very impressive. Your grand-daughter is very cute.

Vivien Maloney
08-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Robert - Somehow I seem to have missed commenting on this Journal - don't know how that happened, sorry about that.
Lovely color-pencil landscape sketch and Sascha has made a great job of the turtle and egg. She's doing very well for an artist, at only 6years of age.
Gorgeous tangerine and I love your Ari sketches. I laughed at "round and flat" for the Scavenger Hunt of Ari. Cats look just like that when they are curled up and you've caught him exactly. I can well imagine (after my attempts at sketching Blossom) how it would indeed be "hide and sketch"!
Your sketches after Ep's style are great. I would have recognized her style immediately, but you've put your own interpretation on it, which is exactly how it should be - as artists, we all have our own personal style.
The portrait of Sascha is beautiful, she is so pretty. I sympathise with you about trying to get her to sit still while you draw her. Even when my grand-daughters are watching tv, they're not sitting still and are all over the place - as you say worse than Ari and Blossom. I like your quick sketches of the shark and tree. Great job on all the sketches in this Journal - you are a master of ALL mediums.

robertsloan2
08-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Jackie, thank you! She has the imagination for it too. She has a special dinosaur sword that she uses to save sauropods from Allosaurus and other meat eaters. She makes up her own dinosaurs with names like Plinka Planka.

Hydie, thank you. She knows it too, she can turn on the cuteness as quick as a cat and wrap anyone around her little finger.

Viv, thank you! So glad you found this one and like it. I've been doing a lot of things for a while - yep, "Hide and Sketch" is what we were all playing during my Hunt. Of course he hangs out much more visibly now that we're not playing, he only does that if I'm drawing him. Yep, Sascha is a wiggle puss! Even trying to get a good photo of her is tricky and then drawing from it even tougher.

I'm not quite the master of all mediums but I'm almost a dabbler in all mediums. I am still working on oils, have some good artist grade ones now, may well try another oil painting sometime and take my time with it. I know what it can do, but getting it to do it is something else - that's almost like when I first started messing seriously with watercolors.

I should put something into this book today, it's been a few days and I missed daily art completely day before yesterday, then yesterday just studied watercolor instead of drawing. But I think it counts even though I didn't produce anything.

robertsloan2
08-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Here it is - two sketches from the photos Davkin posted in his graphite drawing sketchbook. I had to try the little cabin and I decided to actually use construction lines instead of just talking about them. Oh boy were my first set of them way off. It took three tries on the cabin to place everything and get all the angles right - but I didn't do anything else to it until I got it in.

When I posted to Davkin about the construction lines, it was right after reading a section in Your Artist's Brain by Carl Purcell last night on using construction lines - and he even gave a couple of examples of why leaving them in can make a sketch look cool. I'm used to trying to eyeball the length of a line as much as its angle so I don't usually do the construction lines heading off beyond the subject.

Today's experiment showed that can really work well. Even the bad lines don't seem to distract from it too much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2010/70184-Blick-Book-Davkin-Photo-Sketches.jpg
Two Sketches from Photos by Davkin
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
4B Blick Studio graphite pencil
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook
Photo references by Davkin on WC by permission (they can be found on his pencil sketches thread in the Art Journals forum and a few are in his pen and ink sketchbook thread.)

The book is well worth getting. It's not just theory on right brain/left brain stuff but has tons of good information and demos on all aspects of drawing. I'm going through it slowly now and think I'll be trying more things from it in this sketchbook. This page got fixed with SpectraFix and buckled a little but not too badly since I weighted the outside edge with a still wrapped stack of Ampersand boards.

JTMB
08-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Very nice work in this book, Robert! Ari must be getting full of himself, being such a frequent model and becoming duly famous on WC! :)

Great idea to try to emulate EP's style. I have often looked at it and thought two things - this proves the 'less is more' principle; and, gee, I'd love to do that but I'm pretty certain I can't.

robertsloan2
08-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Yep. What's heartening is that my rough versions look very much like the first ones she did - I could learn it. She's been polishing that every single week by doing all of the WDE images in a layout. The boxes came along a while after she started. Her crops are amazing and her layouts are so beautiful.

I think next time I'll slow down and try for more careful contour drawings. I was doing it in pen and didn't pencil first, but I think I could get a cleaner line by penciling first. I've gotten lazy and used to lots of little strokes that come together to make the line and constantly correct it, rather than clean contour drawing the way I used to years ago for certain styles.

robertsloan2
08-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Colored pencils again for a change. Inspired by JTMB's bird studies, I went back to the Artist's Photo Reference volumes on birds, flipped one open and the first page in front of me was Black-Capped Chickadees. Since I'd actually seen them in person years ago, I thought that would be a good subject.

I pulled out the 12 color set of Pablo colored pencils but was a little happier with how the Blick Artist ones perform on this paper. Odd but true.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2010/70184-Black-Capped-Chickadee-Studies-CP.jpg
Black-Capped Chickadee Studies
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Caran d'Ache Pablo colored pencils, 12 color set
Blick canvas covered hardback sketchbook, lightweight white drawing paper.
Photo references from Artist's Photo Reference: Songbirds by Bart Rulon.

Davkin
08-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Very nice Robert, more than just sketches really. I wonder how the broad stock method would work with CP?

David

virgo68
08-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I like those construction lines left in - must admit when I see sketchbook drawings with the earlier mark making left in I really enjoy it, sometimes more so that a finished photorealistic image - I wonder why that is?

Your birds are great - the colour choices are very pleasing and the composition looks nice too.

DrDebby
08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Leaving in the construction lines is brilliant. It shows the care taken with the sketch to get it right.

The little chickadee drawing is marvelous.

jacquip
08-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Robert the barn sketch is great, and I agree the construction lines add to it. Makes it seem more personal in some way. The sketches of the chickadees are stunning, what gorgeous little things.

Herb
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Took a few minutes to go through this, Robert. Especially liked the colored pencil landscape and tangerines. Sacha's sea turtle was cool, too.

I suppose it doesn't matter much in a sketchbook, but I tried out the Dick Blick violet blue looking for an addition to my basic palette. An informal test in my living room window ended with it fading noticeably in only 3 weeks.

robertsloan2
08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, thank you for all the comments!

David, depending on how soft the colored pencils are, the Broad Stroke Method works fantastic. I've used it for years with Prismacolors and there are now several other brands that soft. I think with hard pencils it would be a little less effective. Super soft ones include Derwent Coloursoft, Caran d'Ache Pablo, Prismacolor, discontinued Spectracolor, Luminance, and somewhat the Faber Castell Polychromos. Most of the artist grade colored pencils are soft enough for that method - including my workhorse brand, Koh-I-Noor Progresso.

Those are woodless ones available in only 24 colors, but they're artist grade and last forever. Also their being woodless means I can wear them down to very broad chisel points without hitting wood. They're not expensive. The full range set is down at $10.41 at Blick, currently at rock-bottom price, a 12 pack is $4.99 - when I work large those are fantastic for covering large areas and then modifying with more expensive pencils.

Debby, Jackie and Jacqui, thank you. It's so cool you like the construction lines. I'm going to definitely keep using them.

Herb, thanks for lightfast testing one of the Blick colored pencils. I usually use colored pencils in sketchbooks where that isn't as big a problem, the drawings get stored in the dark most of the time. But when I do one that I want to frame, I'm better off choosing lightfast colors. Maybe I should get the Luminance set sometime or use my Faber-Castell ones more often, especially if I'm going to hang it.

robertsloan2
08-26-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2010/70184-Clouds-CP-Challenge-8-2010.jpg
Clouds
5" square
Blick Artists' colored pencils
Blick canvas-covered hardbound sketchbook white smooth lightweight paper
Photo reference by LMEighmy on WetCanvas from August 2010 Colored Pencils Challenge.

I got fascinated by the clouds reference. Played around with the shapes a lot but I think I got the feel of it - and this is one of the best clouds sketches I've ever done, at least of this type of clouds.

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Finished the page with the clouds by doing a sketch of a car from a photo by Davkin. I'm not 100% happy with it but it's a lot better than my previous vehicle sketches. Lots and lots better!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/70184-Car-from-Davkin-photo-50s-Nash-Metropolitan.jpg
1950s Nash Metropolitan
2 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Graphite pencil on paper, Blick hardbound canvas covered sketchbook.
Photo reference by Davkin.

Here it is again in context on the page.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/70184-Clouds-and-Car.jpg

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/70184-Aria-Princess-Popy-WDE-August-27.jpg
Nocturne -- Princess Popy's Aria
5" square
Parker fountain pen with washable black fountain pen ink
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook paper, light smooth and white.
Photo reference by agnesdale for Weekend Drawing Event August 27-29.

DrDebby
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Cool clouds. Like the light beams running through them. The car is interesting. It really is wonky what foreshortening does to a piece. It looks (and I know it's an optical illusion) that the hood ornament is way off. But, it's not. The cat is very cute.

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Finished the page with another WDE sketch, this time of architecture!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/70184-Cat-and-Edinburgh-Castle-Page.jpg
Cat and Castle Page
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Parker fountain pen and Sheaffer calligraphy pen, fine point
Blick canvas-covered sketchbook paper, smooth 65lb white.
Photo references by agnesdale for 8-27 Weekend Drawing Event.

Davkin
08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Robert, the car is not all that far off, I'm sure if you continue to practice cars you'll get much better. Looks like you had many of the same problems I did. That darned intellectual brain can be hard to turn off when drawing cars for some reason. :lol:

David

robertsloan2
08-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Yep. And being mechanical, they tend to be perfect in their symmetry and curves. It's not like the fudge factor trees, rocks, animals have where I could change the pose to balance a mistake or just change the tree, move a branch. Its proportions must be accurate to the angle or it just won't make sense. But at least I've gotten away from insane levels of detail on bad structures! This is the best one I've done, I'll definitely try again.

Your photos are so great that they're enormous help! Thank you so much for sharing that one. I might draw that one again a bit larger and more carefully, try to do it in color or something. The shadows on the shiny white part define the curve of the fender so beautifully that now I want to do them justice - with turquoise on the turquoise bits.

DrDebby
08-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Very cool castle.

Davkin
08-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Yep. And being mechanical, they tend to be perfect in their symmetry and curves. It's not like the fudge factor trees, rocks, animals have where I could change the pose to balance a mistake or just change the tree, move a branch. Its proportions must be accurate to the angle or it just won't make sense. But at least I've gotten away from insane levels of detail on bad structures! This is the best one I've done, I'll definitely try again.

Your photos are so great that they're enormous help! Thank you so much for sharing that one. I might draw that one again a bit larger and more carefully, try to do it in color or something. The shadows on the shiny white part define the curve of the fender so beautifully that now I want to do them justice - with turquoise on the turquoise bits.

For sure, you can take much more artisitic license with the typical natural landscape than you can with a car. I'm working on a charcol drawing for the landscape challenge. My drawing is not quite matching the reference but as long as the rocks look like rocks, the shrubs look like shrubs and the trees look like it trees and the composition is good it doesn't really matter. You can't get away with that when drawing a car.

David

robertsloan2
08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Debby, thank you.

David, you are so 100% right. I think you put it better. Especially since lately I have been taking more and more artistic license with natural landscape elements to improve composition. I get into thinking it's okay to move things around when with a car, it's just not. Pretty much the same thing with buildings too, although some changes can work they have to make sense as buildings.

Animals fall somewhere in between but once I know the anatomy it's easier to fudge and just change the animal's pose without changing its body shape. Cats are so flexible and fluid, if I get a cat a little too long it just stretched, if I got it a bit short it's bunched up and moving the legs to look stretched or bunched up corrects it to still look like a cat.

I expect cars will start to make sense like that when I've drawn them as often as cats though. People did - and the fudge factor on people if you want the likeness is only that of their expressions.

robertsloan2
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2010/70184-Cow-and-Castle.jpg
Highland Bull and Castle
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
No-name freebie ballpoint pen
Blick canvas-covered hardbound sketchbook white thin drawing paper.
Photo references by agnesdale for August 27-29 Weekend Drawing Event.

DrDebby
08-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Very cool highland cow. (Or coo to put the local pronunciation on it.) Is that the same castle you drew earlier? It looks a lot different. Nothing wrong with it, just different in ball point.

robertsloan2
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
It's a different castle, the first one is Edinburgh Castle and the second is Linlithgow Castle. One's on a rocky hill or mountain with cliffs, the other down next to some water that could be a lake or river or ocean. I loved having a choice of castles to draw!

I jotted "cow" on the page because that's what agnesdale called it when she posted it. Then realized that wasn't an udder hanging under it, that I was looking at a Highland Bull. Should really correct that on the page too. Fortunately I did draw it accurately and didn't turn it into a hermaphrodite bovine! Good thing cattle don't read English, he'd probably get upset... if he could see the page anyway!

jacquip
08-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Robert the highland longhorn looks great, very shaggy effect on his coat. Love the look and feel of the castle sketch too. I agree there can never be enough castles to sketch, love'm all :) I should try and find my photos from visit to England and Wales many years ago.... mmmm

robertsloan2
08-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Thank you! Jacqui, that'd be wonderful. I hope you share them with the RIL when you do, or at least in a photos thread. I'd love to see them.

JTMB
08-30-2010, 12:43 AM
Excellent work since my last check-in, Robert! Of course, I'm partial to the Black-capped Chickadee for obvious reasons...! :lol: Love the shaggy bovine also!

Whisperwood
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
hey Robert.... great stuff! I've not been in for a while, been busy here but had to catch up on your stuff! Love the chickadees, and your use of ballpoint pen is amazing with that castle and highland cow - wow! :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
08-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you both! John, you've inspired me to draw birds more often. I'm definitely going to do more of them and have the birds reference book out now. I could also go for the RIL too, maybe I'd find some herons or egrets in good poses.

vhere
08-30-2010, 02:11 PM
those chickadees are lovely!

mhimeswc
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Nice job on the Highland Cow, and the castle. I've never tried ballpoint pen as a sketching medium but I've seen several people use it in this forum and like what you have done with it.

robertsloan2
08-31-2010, 04:08 AM
Vivien, thank you! That page was tricky to lay out but I was happy with it once I finished.

Michelle, thank you! I only recently discovered that I could sketch decently in ballpoint. I don't know why I didn't try it sooner, unless I was so used to treating it as a doodle medium that I didn't think it could be anything else.

virgo68
08-31-2010, 08:51 PM
I like the ball point pen sketches too Robert - amazing to see some of the stuff done with a humble ballpoint when I think of how much money we spend on other types of pens lol! Maybe knowing something is cheap and disposable allows us to free ourselves a bit more? Keep up the great work - I like how you tackle just about any subject and try out so many medium!

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Thank you! Jackie, you're right. When I know I'm using a freebie on a freebie, I just relax about it and don't worry if I get it perfect - and then it comes out so well. It's fun. The cheap pens have a place in the lineup along with all the beautiful good pens.

Though I do need to clean my good Parker fountain pen again and see if I can get it flowing smoothly. I loved the way that pen functioned before it got to skipping and drying out and clogging.

Today some pencil sketches from the Weekly Drawing Thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Crystal-Bottle-Pencil-2x-more.jpg
Crystal Bowl and Perfume Bottle, Two More Times
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Derwent Sketching Pencil 4B Medium Wash (used dry)
Blick canvas-covered hardbound sketchbook paper, lightweight white smooth.
Photo reference by Bortai used in Weekly Drawing Thread Sept. 6-12. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684291)

The theme on this one is ellipses, but the ellipses were not the tough part for me!

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been really hitting the sketchbooks today! This is some skull sketches from the first part of the video "Drawing and Painting People with John Raynes" on artistsnetworktv.com - I just paused on the skull he was drawing from and drew it for the heck of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Bony-Skull-Sketches.jpg
Anatomy Sketching - Skulls
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Black Conte crayon
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook thin white paper.

I want to get a model skull one of these times and sketch it a lot, from many different angles.

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Still more sketching! I think this is about fifteen or sixteen different drawings I've done today. I'm on a roll here!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-191-8-9.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 191, #8 and #9
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Derwent Pastel Pencils six pack
Blick Canvas Covered hardbound sketchbook thin white drawing paper.
He moved. I know one of his eyes is off, it's because he moved. Hide and Sketch takes a lot of patience!

JTMB
09-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow, Robert, even by your productive standards it sounds like you had a banner day! Good stuff as always...

robertsloan2
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you! Yeah, I think I was just making up for lost time with all the writing immersion over the weekend. It was fun. I hope I can continue the mad sketching spree, it'd be great to get caught up on the Scavenger Hunt.

DrDebby
09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Quite a range of sketches as well as a bunch of them. The skull is cool.

vhere
09-10-2010, 09:06 AM
good going!

robertsloan2
09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you! I'll probably do some more tomorrow, today I spent most of the day pasteling but I've still got a Scavenger Hunt to complete.

robertsloan2
09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Back to the Blick book after spending all day yesterday with the Pentalic Nature Sketch one...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2010/70184-Rusty-Truck.jpg
Rust in Peace
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pens, Big Brush set of 12
Blick hardbound sketchbook thin white drawing paper
Photo reference by Stoney. Did anyone else notice the bullet holes right where the driver's head would be? I made a point of putting them in, this rusty hulk could've been a gangster's getaway vehicle.

DrDebby
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Ouch! I was wondering about the bullet holes in the windshield. The rust is very well done.

robertsloan2
09-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Thank you! That was tricky, but I love how those pens seem to handle any texture I want to get with them.

Here's some colored pencils drawings from the current Scavenger Hunt that just started:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-1-4.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, Items # 1-4
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Blick Artists' colored pencils
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook paper, white thin drawing paper.

Whisperwood
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
You are so good at glass! Love that bottle. Glad I wasn't in THAT car when those bullets came through the window!

robertsloan2
09-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Thank you! Yep, that was my thought exactly. Abandoned by owner being shot, I guess. I love doing glass and this isn't the first time I've done that bottle. Here's another Scavenger Hunt page in Pitt pens, big brush.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-5-9.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, Items #5-9
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens "Big Brush" set of 12
Blick canvas-covered hardback sketchbook, thin white drawing paper.

DrDebby
09-15-2010, 01:34 AM
You sure are able to get a lot out of those art pens. Honestly, I always thought of them as glorified markers, but they don't act like markers. Good hunt sketches.

vhere
09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
the lovely rich blue ink bottle and the paintbrush are my favourites

and the bullet holes - ouch! and it didn't strike me at first that they were on the drivers side - 'cos our drivers side is the opposite of course.

Joan T
09-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Robert - You are making me dizzy with all your journals. lol I am trying to catch up on what has been posted in my absence, and have to admit I scrolled through this one and only looked at the sketches. I'd be here until midnight if I read everything. Super sketches with the different media!!! Your work is really amazing!

virgo68
09-15-2010, 09:03 PM
the blue bottle is amazing - you really captured the glass perfectly! I too, like the paintbrush, and your Pitt pens look so versatile (I have some of those but struggle with them!) Had a chuckle at nostalgic - I think we all must have a stub of a favourite colour that we eke every last bit out of!

CandAlArt
09-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Robert, the Rust In Peace car really has an appeal, the right medium and the right style. Tells a story. Great composition and detail. Love it.

robertsloan2
09-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Debby, they don't act like markers at all. Brush pens are much more controllable - by pressure and angle. I can get small details with them much easier than markers and they don't seem to streak as much. Pitt pens are a joy. They've made this kind of rendering possible for me.

Vivien, I can see that they'd look more passenger side to you, but that's where the steering wheel is. Yeah, I might have thought the same if I'd seen them on the left in a foreign reference. Some things are just custom. Though I like to think that if I traveled and had a car, I would get used to driving on the other side of the road pretty fast.

Joan, makes sense to just look at the pictures. That's all I do when I catch up on Scavenger Hunt or anything. Thanks!

Jackie, thank you! Give it a go with the Pitt pens again. Remember that pressure is the big thing with them and angle of the point, it's better to go lightly and angle the point to go wider. One thing the Pitt pens did for me, even the little ones, was to get me to loosen up and use my actual watercolor rounds in more creative ways. I used to just hold them at one angle and keep just exactly the same amount of water all the time, now I throw them around, paint loose and expressive, change how I'm holding it sometimes - it works with Pitt pens so well.

Those Prismacolor stubs are probably my most nostalgic moment. I still remember getting my first set of 72 at an art store, having to really twist my grandmother's arm to get them at all because they were so expensive and what did I need so many colors for anyway? I've been replacing them continuously ever since then, sometimes going for a long time without being able to get replacements and other times getting money and replacing those first thing. I can never have too many colored pencils.

Candace, thank you! It was a big triumph because I don't do vehicles easily.

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
More art! This page is some Scavenger Hunt items done with my newest set of colored pencils, the one that's sitting out in the pile of cool stuff from Jerry's.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-16-17.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, Items #16 and 17
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Raffine colored pencils
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, thin white paper.

I like this brand more for sketching than for layered, burnished realism, but they're good sketching pencils. Decently soft, pretty good pigment load, about comparable to Staedtler Karat Aquarelle in softness and opacity. They're fun. And certainly a heck of a bargain for folks that go through pencils fast!

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2010/70184-CP-Challenge-Seedhead-Hunt-192-18-19.jpg
CP Challenge Seedhead and Scavenger Hunt 192 Items #18 and #19
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Raffine colored pencils (36 color set)
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, thin white smooth paper.
Photo reference for seed head by tremblad

Still more with the Raffine pencils. I'm getting a nice feel for them as sketching pencils.

Whisperwood
09-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh Robert! You did a great job with Scavenger hunt 192 items! Wow you captured that Desert rose and the pottery wonderfully!! All of them are great, well done!
Love the grass... and of course Ari!

DrDebby
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
That pottery shard is just delightful. I recognize the inhaler, have one myself. Ari is beautiful as always. That, seed head of grass from the CP challenge is gorgeous.

robertsloan2
09-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Rachel, thank you! I hoped you'd like that one, the fossils and minerals were so inspirational.

Debby, thank you! Aww yep, he is the most beautiful cat in the world to me. Though I also like Lin's cat Dave very much and would like to visit her and meet him. I still need to draw him for the WDE. The seed head was very challenging. I didn't want to try realism and crawl over it detail by detail, I wanted to interpret it accurately and make it look natural - it came off better done lightly than it would've if I'd slowed down to try to get precision and layering.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-21-22-23.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, Items 21, 22, 23
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
8B graphite pencil
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook thin white paper.

This one's starting to fill up a bit too, not quite as much but I'm seeing a certain heft to the finished pages now. I love what this forum is doing for pushing me to draw more than one thing in a day.

DrDebby
09-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Well, you are quite prolific in your sketches. It doesn't surprise me at all that this book is filling up. The fall foliage is gorgeous. Good rendition of the flute and shaving brush. Especially like the bristles on the brush.

robertsloan2
09-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you! I always liked the banding on the bristles in that brush, this is about the fourth or fifth time I've sketched it - also the graceful shape of the wood handle with its little grooves and semi-gloss green surface. Another page - and this one finishes up the current Scavenger Hunt, which ends tomorrow!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-192-24-25-26-Done.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 192, Last Items - 24, 25, 26
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
8B graphite pencil
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, 65lb smooth white paper.

Happily a new list comes up tomorrow too, there's always an overlap day.

DrDebby
09-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Great sketches. Amazing that you did that all with a single pencil. Tho' you did pick a very dark soft graphite. I see a lot of people us an HB and complain that they can't get the darks.

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Yep. HB will not give strong darks, let alone come up so strong they scan well. I have known one artist who got very strong darks out of hard pencils. She even used high H ones sometimes when she wanted super detail and got super darks because she patiently layered it over and over and over as if she was doing Prismacolor realism.

I've leaned more and more toward sketching with graphite and I like to have strong darks with a quick scribble.

On the cat in my Pentalic Nature Sketch, I started with an F (the next step harder than HB) because I thought I'd ink and erase, but kept going and realized I had a detailed drawing. So I went back in with the 8B soft one, strengthened all the darks and carefully created the eye tone by a light layer with HB followed by brushing with a quarter inch watercolor flat - which I really need to wash, since it's now full of graphite dust. One of my best aquarelles. It was the blender that fit into the space.

vhere
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
great sketches with the changes of texture really showing

I tend to like a mechanical pencil with a 2B lead. I can get intense darks easily but also soft lights and I never need to sharpen it :) That and a battery operated eraser for drawing back into shading to add small lights and I'm happy.

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I love using lead holders with different hardnesses of graphite. I used to have a whole collection of leads up to 6B, need to replace that sometime. But I have so many wood cased pencils that I should use up some of those first. 2B is a great sketching hardness, good darks and soft lights, possible to do light sketching under other mediums, it's all around great. Battery operated erasers rock. I have one, just misplaced it in the move and I'm not sure where it went.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-193-1-to-5.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Items #1-5
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pigma Micron pen and Pitt Artist Pen "Big Brush", both black
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, 65lb smooth white paper.

virgo68
09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Some pretty cool sketches Robert - I like the shaving brush and your tonal studies, absence of colour really makes you focus on shapes and form.

Understand your contradiction - I love flowers and trees and being in the garden, but am so allergic to a lot of stuff that I take antihistamines and a puffer nearly every day - go figure huh?!

JTMB
09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Robert,

Your ability to crank out tons of well-executed sketches and drawings is pretty amazing...! Are you sure you're going to have enough subjects left to do the October challenge?! :wink2: :lol:

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank you, Jackie and John. John, I'm repeating some subjects already. I'm not worried about it, some of these are things I love drawing again and again. I won't run out of ideas. But you might get a good idea of exactly what still life objects live on my drawing table!

Here's another cat sketch, drawn from a photo in one of the Art Supply Addict threads that was really about showing off lonelm's new Ott Light, with the assistance of lovely model Smudge. So naturally I sort of added a couple of things to the picture and turned it into visual fiction...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2010/70184-Chatting-Cat-Smudge.jpg
Smudge chatting with Ari - Chatroom for Cats
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
9B graphite pencil
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, smooth 65lb white paper.
Photo reference of Smudge under an Ott Light by permission from lonelm.

lonelm
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Robert-You captured her to perfection. I love the little additions, they tell quite the story. She needs to have her nose in everything that is going on. Thank you for using her for a model. She is thrilled, I gave her a scritch while telling her about it and she gave me a little merwillll.

JTMB
09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
I was just kidding, Robert...after all, I will drawing the same species of birds over and over and over - this winter in particular when it just isn't pleasant to go outside and sketch. There are infinite possibilities in almost any subject - just think Monet's lilypads, the Rouen cathedral, and haystacks...!

robertsloan2
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Oh, you get me started on birds and that'd be enough to keep me busy all month! Or on Ari and cats. I probably won't narrow it to a single subject though, would rather just do a single sketchbook and update daily with whatever comes into my head or stomps into my lap.

Judy, thank you! I am so glad you like Smudge's profile portrait. I was trying to make it a true portrait, capture her expression and personality. She was looking so nosey! She's quite a cat. I know she and Ari would be friends if we ever got to meet. Though the shedded cat hairs would probably cause an immediate blizzard of inspiration!

Whisperwood
09-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Love smudge! And love Harry Potter! :thumbsup:

DrDebby
09-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Great sketches. Smudge is darling.

robertsloan2
09-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Thank you! Smudge is a pretty cat. The moment I saw the reference I knew I had to capture her lovely profile.

Ari is relaxing on my lap at this moment purring. I have a feeling that I'll go on drawing cats often!

Whisperwood
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
awww... give Ari a kiss on the head for me!

robertsloan2
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Awww he purred, Rachel. He was in reach again when I read your reply.

Here's five more Scavenger Hunt sketches in Pitt Artist Pens:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-193-11-15.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, items #11 to 15
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens brush tip
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketch book.

Whisperwood
09-23-2010, 09:19 PM
great sketches! Purrrrrring right back at ya Ari Cat!!! ;-)

robertsloan2
09-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Thank you! Came back to this book to do a sketch for the Colored Pencil Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2010/70184-Equine-CP-challenge-Sept-2010.jpg
Equine
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Lyra Rembrandt oil based colored pencils
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook 65lb white paper.
Photo reference by Ingridjanssen, from Sept. 2010 Colored Pencil Challenge.

DrDebby
09-24-2010, 12:44 AM
The horse sketch is awesome with the wind blown mane.

Great hunt sketches.

Carole A
09-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Robert! Horses are one of my favorites, and I think you did a great job on that one. Just love him!

Carole

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
As always - AMAZING works, but that horse is GORGEOUS!!!!!!

robertsloan2
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Thank you! I'm enjoying my swap supplies from Rainy - new pencils sets even if they're extras, and best of all the replacement 48 color Pitt Artist Pen set. I love those pens. I actually wore out a set of 48 of them in a couple of years of sketching.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2010/70184-Figs-WDE-Sept-24.jpg
Figs
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens, brush tip
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook, 65lb white paper.
Photo reference by RubyRedDog2 for WDE September 24, 2010.

And MI... another page!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2010/70184-Flowers-Sunflower-and-Fuchsia.jpg
Sunflower and Fuchsia Page
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens 12 Big Brush, 48 Brush Tip
Blick canvas-covered hardbound sketchbook 65lb smooth white paper.
Photo references Sunflower by devymarie, Fuchsias by Scoller.

Whisperwood
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
That horse is beautiful! So are the figs & sunflower / fushias!

robertsloan2
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Thank you! I've been using this one a lot now, love it that I've still got lots of pages. I'm really warming up to that October challenge, it'll be great to go after filling one or two big pages a day!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2010/70184-Cretacolor-Drawing-Leads-Set.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Items #16-18
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Cretacolor Drawing Leads in Dark Sepia, Sanguine oil and Charcoal
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook 65lb smooth white drawing paper.

DrDebby
09-24-2010, 06:00 PM
What you can do with the pens is amazing. Lovely vegetation pictures.

Thank you for showing the Cretacolor Drawing Leads. I don't think I've ever seen those before. Do you sharpen them? Or just wear down the tip to the shape you want to use?

virgo68
09-25-2010, 03:14 AM
That eraser first looked like an ear to me! haha! I really love what you are doing with the Pitt artist pens the first page with the greens of the figs is drawing me back to look again - I really like it. The cp horse is fab too.....!

robertsloan2
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Thank you both! Debby, I don't sharpen the Cretacolor drawing leads. I just wear them down to the shape I want. Since I usually draw with it at an angle, all I need to do is roll it to have a chisel shape for sharp lines. They come with a cone shaped tip. I guess I could sharpen them with a sandpaper pad if I wanted.

Jackie, thank you! I had fun with those figs, even though they drove me nuts. I overlaid a lot of colors to get those greens.

Here's more with the Drawing Leads:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2010/70184-Charcoal-Puffin-and-Rocks.jpg
Puffin on Rocks
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Cretacolor drawing leads, charcoal, light sepia, sanguine oil
Photo reference by RubyRedDog2 for Sept. 24 WDE.

Whisperwood
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Puffins! YEY! Reminds me of home... :-)

robertsloan2
09-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks! They're fascinating birds, to me they're more interesting than penguins. I like their beaks and their poses.

DrDebby
09-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info.

The puffin looks great.

robertsloan2
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you! Here's some more Scavenger Hunt sketches - what's left are five more that I want to do from my cat, but now I'm playing Hide and Sketch with him of course. He goes out of sight when I get out my sketching stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt193-19-21.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Items #19, 20, 21
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Cretacolor 4B graphite drawing lead
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook paper, 65lb smooth.

09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
STUNNING scavenger hunt items, LOVE the details!!!!!!

robertsloan2
09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Stacey, thank you! Here's some more - what everyone's been waiting for - more cat gestures!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-193-22-25.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 193, Items #22, 23, 24, 25
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Ballpoint pen
Blick canvas covered hardbound sketchbook

DrDebby
09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Great hunt sketches. Ari is beautiful as always.

robertsloan2
09-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you! I just finished the last one, it's going in the Pentalic sketchbook thread as soon as I finish posting this.

09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
SIMPLY STUNNING ARI SKETCHES, he is just so beautiful.... it's like on know him soooooo well just through your sketches and commentary of the sketch and hunt behaviour/game that you have with him.

JUST GORGEOUS!!!!!!

robertsloan2
09-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Thank you! The more I draw my cat, the easier it is to draw him and the more I appreciate him. I'm going to try for a good serious portrait again sometime, maybe even full body this time.

robertsloan2
09-29-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-194-1-to-5.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 194, #1, 2, 3, 4, 5
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pigma Micron pens, sepia and blue

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2010/70184-Hunt-194-6-9.jpg
Scavenger Hunt 194, #6, 7, 8, 9
5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
Pitt Artist Pens

Carole A
09-30-2010, 12:17 AM
I like this page.:) I'm kinda curious about what Mr Shaggy's doing there. The rum and the apple are calling me.

Carole

09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
AGAIN FANTASTIC WORK ROBERT!!!!!!

LOVE ARI, and the still life is fantastic. BAsically EVERYTHING is fantastic.

prismalos
09-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I could almost break that alcohol bottle! I'm a fan of your "glossy" works, man.

robertsloan2
09-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you! Ari was laying on the arm of my canvas camp chair. The bar coming out from under his foot is the support strut for the end of the arm. I left out my own stomach to show his tail, which was draped over my thigh more or less in that position. I drew him while he was cuddled up there and love the feel of him getting warm on my lap or leaning on me when he's on the chair arm.

He was purring and when he fidgeted I stopped to scritch him and keep him there. He was a good boy and posed a good long time for it!

DrDebby
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
More great sketches.

CandAlArt
10-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Robert I have really enjoyed seeing your variety of pen & pencil works in this journal. I especially liked seeing your method of using the colored pens. Your style is "simple" but really captures the right colors and contours (especially that apple!) with the Pitt pens. Thanks for sharing.

robertsloan2
10-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Thank you! I love using the Pitt pens. Believe it or not, I think they actually helped with my watercolor and other painting styles - the brush tip is a lot like using a small brush so I got used to thick and thin lines, calligraphic strokes, a lot of different strokes I hadn't tried in watercolor before getting those.

vhere
10-01-2010, 06:37 AM
dust kitten :lol:

I rarely use pens but plan to do some more ink sketches. I just get seduced by the subtlety possible with pencil or charcoal and forget to bring out the ink pens!