GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: St George Street
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one of the first larger pieces I have done. I usually work in a much smaller scale. It is bassed on location sketches as well as photographs.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I seem to have dificulty with values as well as color temperature. Mixing warm greens are a problem. And any constructive critism is welcome.

ellenf
10-02-2002, 09:31 PM
Tony, There's a lot of depth in this piece. I think you've got a pretty good handle on values. The foreground pops and the background recedes. Strong subject matter, lots of sponteneity.

What pigments are you using to mix your greens? Do I see some pthalo in there? I've never had much luck using pthalo blues or greens - the dye is so strong. Try using more pigment-rich colors. Olive green, terra verte. Or mix a cadmium yellow or yellow ochre with cobalt blue, ultramarine blue, or cerulean...

Practice with paint on a scrap, and try the virtual palette here at WetCanvas. Pretty cool.

henrik
10-03-2002, 03:37 AM
Agree with ellenf.
Your perspective is off - there are inconsistencies in where the vanishing point is.

Helen Zapata
10-03-2002, 01:32 PM
Hi Tony

This is a charming piece. I'll just make a few comments.

The edge of the roof in the first building is awfully strong. I would lift off some of the dark. Same thing with the struts under the larger balcony... just soften them up a bit.

The fruit tree to the center of the piece needs stronger shadows to keep up with your lighting.

The plant pot under the red sign needs some shadowing to give it some solidity in keeping with the other pot.

I would pick out some lights on the tree that is coming up behind the wall.. the tall one with the dark twisty trunk.

I'd like to see the darks of your upper left hand greenery brought just slightly into the lighter ones towards the back... or vice versa.. perhaps some light bluish greenery within or behind those dark dark greens.

And last, I would suggest putting a few more of those marvelous speckles in the left foreground, bringing them up and into the ground under the arch. As it is now, the diagonal line coming out of the lower left hand corner is a little disconcerting.

Helen

T. Texas Tony
10-06-2002, 11:12 AM
Thanx to everyone for the great help. I was embarrassed to overlook such a basic fundamental as perspective, it is usually automatic for me. The virtural pallet was a good hin. Once again thanks!
T. T. T.
I have more art work at www.tyoungartist.com

LarrySeiler
10-06-2002, 10:16 PM
your greens show a lot of blue tint in them, which would work on as reflections off a very blue sky with sun covered by a cloud... however, you need more variants of yellows, yellow greens with purer color if you want to suggest greens in sunlight.

thalo blue with cadmium yellow med and pale should give you some nice greens. Also...get a veridian or Grumbacher Green which is a bit warmer and add yellows.

Finally...use adjacent colors to help your greens show more character. For example your roofs are orange which is the opposite of blue on the colorwheel and thus pulls out emphasizes the blue of the green mix more. A redder roof would have pulled out more the green in the mix since red is the complement of green...etc;

Larry