PDA

View Full Version : Artisan water mixable oil painting medium?

E-J
10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
I've had some Artisan water miscible oils knocking around unused in my art box for a long time. Though I've told myself I'll experiment with them, I've always ended up playing with my acrylics or gouache instead because they seem like less hassle to clean up afterwards... a poor excuse, I know! I did try a few little oil painting exercises from an Alwyn Crawshaw book, using Grumbacher Max paints (this was a few years ago, when they first came out) but since then have shied away from oils, partly because my new brushes seemed to get ruined each time I used them - while the packaging says you can use soap & water to clean them, in fact I think you really need to use white spirit.

Anyway, inspired by the evangelical zeal with which frequenters of this forum seem to speak about oil paint - :) - I've invested in a primed canvas panel 18" x 14" and am setting aside the whole of this Saturday (luxury!) to try my hand at my first real oil painting...
I've browsed the previous posts relating to water soluble oils and have found that others, like me, have had problems using just water to thin these paints, and that many of you recommend adding only a little water at a time, or using a medium. I'm still a little confused about mediums, though, as everyone seems to have different approaches to using them. I asked the assistant in my local art shop today which medium would be best for thinning my paints and she suggested Winsor & Newton's Artisan water mixable oil painting medium. There seemed to be several similar-ish mediums there and she couldn't really tell me how they might differ. I asked whether this one was significantly different from a traditional medium like linseed oil and her reply was, 'Well, obviously you can't use linseed oil with water soluble paints.' This sounded like it might be total twaddle. Or was she right?

Sorry to bore you all. I'm REALLY excited about Saturday's adventure in oil paints (I think I'm going to try painting a landscape) and just want to clear up my doubts about these practical considerations before I let myself loose on that nice white canvas...

idahogirl
10-02-2002, 06:11 PM
I'm excited for you on your adventure in oils. You can use linseed oil with water mixable oils, it just reduces the ability to clean the brushes with water only. I use traditional oils and clean the brushes without solvent.... first I clean most of the paint out with oil and then finish with soap and water.

Oils RULE!

Dee

Wayne Gaudon
10-02-2002, 06:15 PM
No reason you can't use any medium designed for real oil paint .. water mixable paints can be mixed with real oil paints and if you have a mixture then you use real oil in comparison to water mixable oil .. I would think it would make a difference in clean up as the real oil won't be water mixable and will need extra clean up. There is a water soluble linseed oil that will work as a medium as well if you are not going to use too much.

dang .. no one is faster than deefox ..

E-J
10-03-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks for explaining. It's nice to know I can try traditional mediums if I don't get the effects I'm looking for. (For the moment, "the effects I'm looking for" are very modest: a painting that gets the subject across would be a good start! :) It's always daunting trying new materials, especially as there are so many technical considerations with oils.) Think I'll experiment with the Artisan medium and a bit of water to start with, and see how it goes...

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Still ridiculously excited,

scottb
10-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Don't forget about the new product review system. This item is already in there, but no reviews yet (the category was just opened up). If someone has some worthwhile thoughts on this product, here is a link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Products/censura.php?tsid=1&cmd=details&itemid=289

Cheers.
Scott