PDA

View Full Version : Workshop ideas in D.C. area - Sept / Nov ?

Greenbrier33
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I am looking for a pastel workshop in the Va / DC area during Sept / Nov. Anyone have suggestions?

Open to all ideas...from 3 days to weeks...

Many of my current favorite artists live out West. Would love to take a Secor classes, or McKinley, etc., but relocating to NM or CA for the 3-hr a week session would not work.

If you could suggest a pastel workshop in the mid-Atlantic region during Sept / Nov, appreciate it! Cost is not so much a factor as the quality and opportunity to work under a master.

Thanks, Dave :wink2:

Deborah Secor
08-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Dave, Richard McKinley (http://www.mckinleystudio.com/calendar.html)is doing a 3 day workshop at the PSA at the end of September. I'd jump on that! You'd be AT the PSA show, to boot... Of course, it's in NY.

Greenbrier33
08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Ty, Deborah -- will sign up for it and obviously spend plenty of time at PSA (my first, in fact)

Also stumbled across this site that lists quite a few opportunities. Now, if you were hosting a course that went 3-5 days or so, would def. like to enroll.

Might just fly out to Sedona or driving up to Canada for a longer course.

http://www.artshow.com/workshops/WorkshopDisplay.aspx?MedTheme=Pastels&Location=All

Studio-1-F
08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
If you could suggest a pastel workshop in the mid-Atlantic region during Sept / Nov, appreciate it! Cost is not so much a factor as the quality and opportunity to work under a master. Thanks, Dave :wink2:
Hello Greenbrier33! Help me by defining "master". I'd be delighted to suggest a number of venues here in the DC Metro area that offer workshops and art classes, but not sure any of the instructors would fall under your category of "master". Maybe the best strategy would be to look for the websites of your "masters" and check their workshop schedules. Also, if money is no object, don't hesitate to inquire about a one-on-one workshop. It can't hurt to ask, right?

Jan

Greenbrier33
08-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jan
I've found some good info on the web, and decided that a driving trip for a week to Canada may be in the works! I think that getting away from distractions of home may help inspire working on art, especially if someone else is coaching.

By master, I suppose I meant any of the successful artists, many of whom frequently post here. I threw out a couple names there just as an idea.

I see you are in Maryland. Could you recommend one or two workshops or persons I could contact in our area to get started? Really appreciated...Dave

Hello Greenbrier33! Help me by defining "master". I'd be delighted to suggest a number of venues here in the DC Metro area that offer workshops and art classes, but not sure any of the instructors would fall under your category of "master". Maybe the best strategy would be to look for the websites of your "masters" and check their workshop schedules. Also, if money is no object, don't hesitate to inquire about a one-on-one workshop. It can't hurt to ask, right?

Jan

Lynndidj
08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Just a note to you on McKinley workshops ... unless someone cancels at the last minute, they are VERY hard to get into. I've waited over a year for the one I'm taking in California next month. Another idea would be to purchase his DVD for about $79. Believe me, there is much to be learned there!!! There are also other wonderful artists like Albert Handel who have DVD's - and those you can take with you wherever you go.

Hope you find what you are looking for and have a wonderful creative time!!

Lynn

Greenbrier33
08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi Lynn,
I bought McKinley's DVDs and found them inspiring. I have not yet tried the oil underpainting yet, though.

Funny you should mention Albert Handel. I enroll for his seminar in Bennington, VT, but the center cancelled it due to lack of students. I was bummed... :(

Nonetheless, signed up for a week with Michael Chesley Johnson in Maine during September. It's a great time of year to be in Maine, with the colors and the weather.

If anyone else will be at the MCJ workshop, please email me so we can chat! :clap:
Dave

Just a note to you on McKinley workshops ... unless someone cancels at the last minute, they are VERY hard to get into. I've waited over a year for the one I'm taking in California next month. Another idea would be to purchase his DVD for about $79. Believe me, there is much to be learned there!!! There are also other wonderful artists like Albert Handel who have DVD's - and those you can take with you wherever you go.

Hope you find what you are looking for and have a wonderful creative time!!

Lynn