PDA

View Full Version : Printing photos too expensive?

ArbySD
08-01-2010, 06:00 PM
An idea for avoiding having to print off photos from the site...

I recently saw a digital photo frame on clearance for $40. It wasn't a great one, but it got me to thinking. I spend $35 every time I buy a combo pack of printer ink (black and color). What if I used the photo frame instead? I don't have the room or the money to have a computer screen in my corner-of-the-kitchen studio, so that wasn't an option. Well, I think it was money well spent. I just load the photos that I want onto a memory stick or memory card and plug it in to the frame, and plug the frame into an outlet. The quality of the image is better than if I printed it out from my printer, but not as sharp as my computer screen. So, a good option.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm putting it in the channels where I spend the most time.

Paula Ford
08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Good idea!!

robertsloan2
08-01-2010, 09:31 PM
That's not a bad idea, since I think those are portable and battery driven. Aren't they? They don't take up much space and you're not wasting paper either. I use my computer screen all the time and probably won't get another gadget, but I can see how this would be great if you don't have the space or money for an extra monitor in your studio.

allydoodle
08-02-2010, 01:01 AM
An excellent idea if you don't have a computer in your studio. I've also seen people use these frames at shows, scrolling photos of their work continuously, sort of like a portfolio of sold work on continuous display. The original framed pieces are hanging about as usual, but your portfolio is also being displayed, instead of just sitting on a table waiting to be picked up and looked at. I thought it was a very clever idea. I would think it would work at a studio display as well, giving potential customers a good look at your entire body of work.

When I do paint from a photo (usually it's landscapes and sometimes a portrait, as I always do still life from life), I've discovered recently that the computer screen provides a much better reference. I much prefer it to the printed photo, and use it whenever I can.

chewie
08-02-2010, 01:04 AM
i have been wanting to do this for a while, but haven't found one in that price range yet! dang! but good for you, i'd bet it'll be a great tool.

DAK723
08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't have a computer in my studio, so this is definitely a good idea!

Don

Botanygal
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I have just been debating about a better way to get my reference photos available rather than expensive paper and ink. Great idea and small enough to take to my class studio too! Thanks

Sheila

Ruthie57
08-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Great idea! I may look into this as I have no computer in my studio and the quality of the printed image is nowhere near that on the screen.