PDA

View Full Version : Digital Lion

ExpressMark
10-01-2002, 11:20 PM
Heres a Digital Lion Study!! Its a study I am doing in pre for an Oil painting I am going to start.

So I used Painter to do it, I didnt use a reference pic for it except for those from my memory so I know its not an accurate Lion as Lions go but I thought I would share cause well LOL I simply thought it was cool looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2002/lion2.jpg

Watch ya think?

Mark

fugitive
10-01-2002, 11:38 PM
It looks like it would fit in a Disney animated film and scare the heck out of little kids.

I like it.

ExpressMark
10-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by fugitive
It looks like it would fit in a Disney animated film and scare the heck out of little kids.

I like it.

LOL, Your right it does sort of have that Animated feel to it.

Thanx! I cant wait to start the actual Oil Painting. I think it will be fun to paint an actual Lion.

Throw in some of His natural suroundings and it should make for an interesiting painting.

Mark

Wolverine
10-02-2002, 12:53 AM
This is great. How did you get his tongue to look so real? And uh, you probably need to feed him before he finds somebody. :D

ExpressMark
10-02-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Wolverine
This is great. How did you get his tongue to look so real? And uh, you probably need to feed him before he finds somebody. :D

Thank You!! About the tongue, I simply laid in the red I felt would best match the color of the tongue, then For the lighter area of the tongue I used just a bit lighter than the main red I used.

Then for the highlights, I used pure white to make it look sort of wet.

Then underneath I used sort of a Burnt umber crossed with a Burnt Siena. This provided a nice under shadow for the tongue.

Thats pretty much it.

Mark

mARZ
10-02-2002, 11:47 AM
The lion looks good, it looks like a real action photo, with the mane all fuzzy/out of focus like. The only comment/suggest that I have is that you should add the ears... It looks just a little strange without ears, only a little though you could keep it as is cause I like it, maybe try it with ears.

I still like it,
mARZ

Gilberte
10-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Some day I'll catch up with you digital artists. The lion looks great !

ExpressMark
10-02-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Gilberte
Some day I'll catch up with you digital artists. The lion looks great !

I went to your site and you paint beautifully. You could do some awesome digital wise.

Your paintings are pretty, and I love the colors. I need to do some still lifes, but first got to do my lions.

Mark

crazy_cat
10-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Grea work! Smooth blending! :clap: :clap: :cat:

ExpressMark
10-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by crazy_cat
Great work! Smooth blending! :clap: :clap: :cat:

Thank You!!! I am having fun putting it all together into a painting.

I will post it as soon as I can let everyone see it in progression.

Mark

digistyle
10-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Cool! Reminds of the Lion King.

digistyle

plumpfairy
10-06-2002, 11:20 AM
:D woooooo! Love that wild hair! Kool lookin' lion (could use some ears though;) )
jana:D :clap: ;)

jsr88
10-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Mark...:)
I think your lion needs a dentist! I think he looks so fierce because that one severely curved tooth is causing him to bite himself. :D

Great image!!

:clap: :cat: :clap:

Aqua Artist
10-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Too cool!!!!

ExpressMark
10-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Yes on the Dentist lol.

Thanks for the compiments all!!!

I have to say I have done several Lion studies now, and I am working on several pencil drawings of ideas leaning toward the figurative.

I have to admit I am sort of in a slump for ideas, which to do or what to do. So in hopes for some help to this solution I have a model coming so I can take photos of various themes, and clothing types.
Maybe I will come out of it and make a decision.
I hope!!!!

Mark