PDA

View Full Version : Wip, Cupie Doll

fugitive
10-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Been a little slow lately, just can't get the enthusiasim up. Abandoning paintings left and right. This is just to show I'm not dead. It's based on the Pin-ups from a long time ago. PSP7, Painter6, Wacom. Unfinished.

Greg C.
10-02-2002, 12:11 AM
Looks good so far...especially the pastel colors.

Wolverine
10-02-2002, 01:02 AM
Yep. I like the eyes. Especially the light in them with the blue background. :)

crazy_cat
10-02-2002, 05:15 AM
Hey there Greg! Glad to see you posting your work! Looking good! I know what you mean about abandoning paintings. Been doing that big time myself. Getting ready to start one soon. I miss it!:clap: :clap: :cat:

fugitive
10-02-2002, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the comps all.
Linda, see you got a comp on your tini head, ck mine if it worked.
I have something like 5 or more unfinished, including the Sticky one on figure, and I don't know. It's hard to stay into it sometimes. Maybe it's too easy, this digital world, it's like a kid in FAO Schwarts with a $1000, no limits, so we git bored.
I'd like to add a woven texture to that hat, but don't know how, any ideas?

crazy_cat
10-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Don't you have a way that your take patterns and such from other pics? If I have you mixed up just ignore that statement. You can use patterns from other pics or if you have a crosshatch brush that would work also.

On my tinyhead...it looks great since it is so tiny!!!!!! Oh my..Greg....your head! "I'll be back!"

Gilberte
10-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Lovely, lovely. There is a brand of Cigarettes here in Belgium, called BELGA , that carries almost an identical picture !

Ceu
10-02-2002, 07:51 PM
beautiful pastels, and pose

fugitive
10-03-2002, 12:52 AM
did some psp work on the hat tonite, does anyone else use psp?

fugitive
10-03-2002, 02:59 AM
and a little more

gobecky242
10-03-2002, 01:33 PM
OK, I mostly lurk on the water colour forum, being my medium, but I decided to check out you digital people today. Your piece caught my eye. I loved the improvements, the way you put hair "wispies" and shadows outside the rim of the hat made it look so much more 3D. Perfect! Maybe you should add a flower to the hat or maybe a trim to the rim of the hat. Just a thought. Keep it up!

fugitive
10-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Flowers on the hat? What do think I am? Actually, I'm not done with the hat, but don't think flowers will do for a macho guy like me. Perhaps colors, or shadows, or a brim-rim will do.
Thanks for stopping by to see how the *******-children of the art world do it. I have a little background in traditional art, and used to do w/c, acrylics, and more. I was never able to do what I wanted to in art, while working for a living, now, with digital, I can do it all. I've done a couple digital w/c, but they're hard to control, just like in the real world.

gobecky242
10-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Nothing wrong with Flowers LOL. I do some digital work, pre-press (the day job :rolleyes: ) but nothing compared with what you guys do. Amazing! My water colours are a bit more untraditional than most, but sill really hard to control. That's the fun ya know?

digistyle
10-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Cool, Greg! Evokes a Mary Pickford, silent film era vibe. I know what you mean about slowing down. I've had so much happening in the physical world, I've been too tired to get much painting or drawing done.

digistyle

fugitive
10-05-2002, 02:34 PM
I was aiming for that. In case you didn't know, I aim to try a lot of varied subjects/styles, just to see if I can pull it off. I'm thinking on a Glamor Pinup too, like Vargas in Playboy. Thanks for comp.

plumpfairy
10-06-2002, 11:08 AM
:D Hey Greg!
Yet another fine beginning.....I really like her sad eyes. I definately think a brim on her hat would help.
more please!
jana:D :clap: ;)

jsr88
10-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by fugitive
did some psp work on the hat tonite, does anyone else use psp?

Greg...I use PSPv7. It was the only graphics software I had until a few months ago when I got the PhotoShop v7. For the money, it flat cannot be beat!

You are doing a very "Vargas-y" job on this one. (Yes...I know Vargas *very well.* (As a kid I used to sneak into my dad's stash of Playboy Magazines! ;) I ALWAYS wanted to be able to draw like that!)

:clap: ~ Keep up the good work!! ~ :clap:

fugitive
10-06-2002, 05:09 PM
julie; what's a girl doing looking at Playboy?;)

I did too, in fact a lot of my early education on women came from Dads stash, which was not well hidden. The first stuff I ever saw were the Calendars in the restroom of the garage where he worked. Also started seeing some of the Pinup, Vargas type girls. I loved every look, and put a lot of this away for a rainy day. That day has arrived, because now I can paint what I want today, and sometimes pull it off.
I have PS and Painter too, but still do most on PSP.
Painter does great hair, watercolors, and impasto. PSP 8 is right around the corner(I feel) and because of all my biching, I think it will have improved brushes,(it really needs it.) Thanks for looking and comp.

jsr88
10-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Greg, I sure hope you're right on the PSP v8. There's a lot of things they *could* add. It's funny, No matter what I want to do, if I want it fast I turn to PSP. I love their photo effects menu. So many things can be done very well with the "auto". And the "Fade correction" has no equivalent in PS7. I guess it's all in what you get used to.

Just be sure to let me know about any new versions if you hear about them before I do.

(P.S. Back then "girls" needed an education TOO!! :D)

fugitive
10-11-2002, 05:12 AM
another installment for cupie dull.
who said they wanted a brim, or rim, or trim on the Hat. Well, you got it, at great personel expense, it's a Vector, and I don't do well with them. Two trys and several hours, just to put a little edging on a stupid hat. Anyway, it's actually coming along, or I wouldn't bother.

crazy_cat
10-11-2002, 06:04 AM
Wow Greg that looks great! Very, very nice!!! Using vectors...yikes! I run away from those. Nah they are not too bad, just very time consuming sometimes.:clap: :clap: :cat:

TeAnne
10-11-2002, 11:00 AM
This is so sweet :D WOW

plumpfairy
10-11-2002, 11:31 AM
:D Bon giorno! Greg!
Looks like ya roped and hogtied that "VECTOR" into shape!;) :D
Don't know what a vector is....but, the hat is lookin' good! Me thinks perhaps you have lived in earlier times before?;)
jana:D :clap: :clap: ;)

Digital Ed
10-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi Greg, I use PSP7 along with the gimp and ps, but really find PSP easier in the vector painting! Are you using this method:

The first I do, is to draw the shape of the head.
I use the draw tool with curve tracking settings:

I usually put Curve tracking to 20 when I make big shapes like the head. For details I use 5 or lower.

Curious as to how you are doing it? Nice work!:)

fugitive
10-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Thank You Ladies
Jana, I don't prescribe to the point of view of Shirley McClain, which era did you picture?
Digital Ed, only used vector for the little brown line. I freehand the rest. I do use, devices to help the job along though, just like many young women, I borrowed the dress. This can be done to great effect with jewlery too, by pasting it into your work. Since there doesn't yet appear to be a big black book of rules, I make up my own as I go. It's caused me trouble sometimes, as a few know.
Greg

jsr88
10-11-2002, 11:06 PM
:clap: ~ YAW HOOOO! ~ :clap:
She's GORGEOUS!!!

Greg, you are doing a super duper job on this one. And with "vectors"...not to mention doing it with PSP yet! May I congratulate you! I *do* know what vectors are...and I even know how to use them! :) But the way YOU are using them is AWESOME! I have to tell you that you are one BIG inspiration for me.

I love watching you work...and I'm SO glad that you allow us to peek over your shoulder.

(Man...I'm glad I decided to take the chance and come to digital art! I may just get comfortable here yet! :D)

fugitive
10-11-2002, 11:36 PM
Julie; Don't get too carried away with the vertor thing, as I only did the trim on the hat with it.
You scoff at PSP, to me it's easier than the others, I have PS and Painter. Used painter on the final layer of hair because of the two color brush it has, that no other proggie can match. Glad, so glad your inspired, can't say what that means. In real life, I can't stand to have someone behind me looking, I used to stop work until they stopped it.
When I first started posting the non-tuts, I was quite reticent to give away my techniques, but the response has been so positive, what the hey.

Ceu
10-11-2002, 11:55 PM
She looks wonderfull
flowers in her hat, why not, keep doing what you like with her.

jsr88
10-12-2002, 12:01 AM
Oh NO! I don't "scoff" at PSP...it's MY FAVORITE!! I just think it's SO cool that you are taking advantage of the vector capabilities of the newer versions.

I spent YEARS trying to get my embroidery digitizing "students" used to the idea that graphics could actually be FUN. I've used PSP since version #2, believe it or not...back then it was TOTALLY freeware!

Now, I'm trying desperately to learn PS7...and I constantly find myself opening PSP instead, just because I know how it will behave and I know exactly what I can achieve with it. Over in Photography, I'm always SO happy to see someone do something that simply CANNOT be done with PS. I guess you could say I spend a lot of my life fighting for the "underdog." In the case of PSP vs PS...I don't feel that PSP is the underdog, I feel that it hasn't been given a fair chance against the "big boys."

So that's what I meant by that comment...

As for the inspiration...you strike me as a person very much like myself. I really want people to learn, and I'm happy to help in any way I can. In the past, I've written quite a few tutorials on using graphic editing programs but, like you, when it comes to having someone watching me to do the actual manipulations, I don't like it. :D Mainly because I "play" around so much, and hate it when people say "why did you do that?" or "What on earth are you doing now?"

I like to work out the system...be able to repeat it, then I'm MORE than happy to share the steps I took to achieve it. (That's what I meant by you are an inspiration. ;) )

Thanks for answering my comment.

fugitive
10-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Well, finally made it. This means, the back burner is a little less crowded, and maybe I can find some else to try.

fugitive
10-14-2002, 03:46 PM
That was the software, not me.

Greg C.
10-14-2002, 11:28 PM
Looks really good...especially the face. Not crazy about the little gazebo in the corner. It looks pasted on at the last second.

fugitive
10-15-2002, 02:30 AM
It was, maybe something else? We have the power. I have studied a lot of Pinups and paintings, and not too many use just a plain BG, I thought it would add a depth. Sorry I screwed up. Hey, hows Repro lately?

Greg C.
10-15-2002, 02:50 AM
It's not screwed up by any means! and adding depth is a good idea. Maybe extend the grass down...and move the gazebo in from the edges a bit? ...not real sure.

Retouch is doing well...some interesting Halloween challenge images are being done! :D

fugitive
10-15-2002, 03:58 AM
Here's another slant on it.

fugitive
10-15-2002, 04:04 AM
Or maybe this.

crazy_cat
10-15-2002, 05:33 AM
I like this one Greg. Well done!:clap: :clap: :cat:

**The last one you posted right above my reply. Get some ZZZZ's!

fugitive
10-15-2002, 05:55 AM
Which, the very last? I have another one for tommorro, too tired now.
night.

jsr88
10-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Greg...what about "fading" the gazebo a bit. I like the gazebo. Gives a little "lawn party" look to the painting. I just can't decide whether I like it better on top or bottom....:cat:

(She's beautiful!!!)

plumpfairy
10-15-2002, 09:33 AM
:D Gut Morgan! Greg F.!
Boy! you been busy while I was sleepin! Got 12 hours last nite! WOW! (and some nitemares too:( ).
Anyway, I like the Gazebo placed on the bottom....and I agree with Julie that perhaps it could be faded a bit.
Also, I noticed this morning that she doesn't have a left shoulder, or a left bosom. Hmmm. Perhaps that is the way it looks in the ref.image?
Looks like her neck line goes down directly to her R bosom. Just an observation. I dunno.:rolleyes:
jana;) :D

Greg C.
10-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Both are good but I like the first one best..the one with the "painterly" background. It really helps pull some of the colors out of her dress. Wow!...these larger attachments really look good. Wonderful job on the hair especially. Sleep much Greg? :D

fugitive
10-15-2002, 02:17 PM
You know what we're doing here? Too many cooks, I'm getting confused.
I shouldn't reply to folks who accuse me of leaving off body parts.
It's an optical confusion.
I like them all, a little.
Here's what I was doing last nite. I want this to be finished.

Greg C.
10-15-2002, 02:31 PM
perfect! :clap:

Digital Ed
10-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Very nice Greg, but I liked it better without the gazebo! Seems to take away from the main subject. Just my opinion, you are very talented!

fugitive
10-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Thank you Greg. I've already started another one, a diff. one.

Digital Ed, thank you, you know, I somehow feel that anyone could do what I do. It's just getting to know your tools well, and lay down some paint. With all the stuff that I've posted, there should be, just about a step by step. It's somethimes difficult to pull it all together, but the individual things aren't that hard. A big part of it is choosing a subject and color scheme carefully.

Jana, your on my list, and I don't mean the A.:cat:

plumpfairy
10-17-2002, 06:32 AM
:eek: Uh oh! I'm in trouble now! tee-hee!;) :D
.....and who's the one who said " she looks like she has two GIANT TOES"?;) :D
jana

Oh! and this last image is lovely Greg F.! Love the grass you added!:clap: :clap: :clap: :D

fugitive
10-17-2002, 06:44 AM
I may have acted without thinking there. The grass is a direct copy from a scene, and I don't usually use photo images that way in a so called painting. It's a mix of media. Your gonna die when you see what I just started tonite. Never see Lisa around these parts any mo. Guess she's too busy up in Vancouver. Any way.

Glad you like it. Just got two out of the way, so now to do something else.

fugitive
10-17-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Greg C.
It's not screwed up by any means! and adding depth is a good idea. Maybe extend the grass down...and move the gazebo in from the edges a bit? ...not real sure.

Retouch is doing well...some interesting Halloween challenge images are being done! :D

Maybe I'll go and look. I can look, but not touch. Wonder what ol' Doug would say if he saw what was on our figure section last week. It would my my nude look like a Madonna and Child. ha, ha
maybe I'll send him a copy.

jsr88
10-17-2002, 10:59 AM
Greg!
:clap: ~ BRAVO! ~ :clap:
(I like the gazebo at the top...and the whole thing looks GREAT!!)
:D