PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo-August 2010

trafford
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi, all! Looks like our new projects for August are going to be on hold for a few days, while W/C gets the kinks out....meanwhile we can do some fantastic art or just read a good book.

Anyway...How has the summer been treating you? We had a beautiful day, yesterday...cool and sunny. I was so tired from jumping back and forth from A/C to sweltering, that I took a long nap.

Let us know how you are doing mid summer. :heart:

artbyjune
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Not being able to post images is a bit frustrating. I wonder when it will be fixed?? In the meantime I may start the pastels projects SANS images and post the images when allowed. Then we can make a start...

We are having a lovely sunny day today but it was raining all last week. I took the dog to the duck pond to celebrate...a long walk for us. He thought he was in heaven ...lots of birds to chase. Of course I kept him on a tight lead. Those canada geese are big birds!!

gakinme
08-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't believe summer is almost over and my kids go back to school in 3 weeks. They were without dad for a month and without me all summer since I'm working. Poor kids. Stuck at home all summer.

Anyway, here's some quick ones. Really into black and white these few days.

Following some pre Raphaelite work by Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones - real knock me dead angels from him really.

Aquabee 50 lbs sketchbook 8 x 10 inch full pages
Elmer's Paintastic black brushpen - free hand draft
General's Powdered Graphite

Never knew the two could be combined so well. Then added Carbo Othello pastel pencil for darkening.

http://a.imageshack.us/img8/4238/gpangel1.jpg

The second one has pastel pencil and graphite powder but no ink work.

http://a.imageshack.us/img641/994/gpangel2.jpg

trafford
08-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Your images are coming in Sandra...so maybe I'll try this evening to get my thread in. It's funny, I almost decided to do Burne-Jones this month, but ended up going with the children's illustrator Walter Crane, who did some fantastic art work.

Put the pastel in June. IT will give us something to think about and practice. If Sandra could post an image, we may be OK. Will have to do a test run later.
:crossfingers:

gakinme
08-01-2010, 01:56 PM
No, no, I used an outside photo image host to post my photos. But I saw someone able to attach photos this morning at pastel forum.

azulparsnip
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi ya'll - got the new photo paintalong up. We went around and visited various family members. Different family each of the 3 nights........phew! get to sleep in my own bed tonight......and the weather is cool .

Sandra - Nice studies.

trafford
08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Uploading images seems to be coming up OK...it's just our mug shots that are still missing. :wink2:

Sounds like a fun but exhausting weekend, Robin...but now you are snug and cool at home. Did you do any sketches of relatives?

Nice drawings , Sandra. I like the black and white work very much.

Looking forward to paint-a-long and soft pastels...and maybe catching up with a few other threads.

Hope August isn't too hot. :heart:

azulparsnip
08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Yep, I got some sketching with the grandbaby -

So far August is hot. I hope you have a good day. I'm painting the bathroom walls . They are still the original trailer vinyl as it got too cold to finish them last fall. I also have some patches of floor that need finishing. I've been waitting for this hot weather to do this stuff. I'll go now and take a before photo of the bathroom and post it when I finish.

artbyjune
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Love the sketches, Sandra and Robin.

azulparsnip
08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
the last few days I have been so elsewhere I wonder that I ever had time to draw or paint, and I can't exactly account for it .........sigh

azulparsnip
08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
very quiet here.......I found this photo tour of the artomat process - old machines made new and installed in museums and colleges - "Don't go around artless":heart:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=152415&id=234778157983&ref=mf

gakinme
08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
My husband has finally returned from his one month business trip and I get to paint and draw again the moment I get home. I don't have to fix dinner or do grocery shopping anymore until his next trip next summer.

Here's another one for the Monthly PEN & INK PROJECT -- August, 2010. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635641)

First layer - dried out markers from my kids
Second layer - Kuretake Manga Ink with G-nib
Third layer - Walnut Hollow Oil pencils
Eyes - touched up with Holbein Pearl White Gouache
Dollar Store sketch pad 9x12 inch - half page
Photo reference: Testing by MGodfrey.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2010/86669-pen_koala1.jpg

azulparsnip
08-16-2010, 03:25 PM
wow, Sandra, that is reeeally nice

artbyjune
08-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I agree. That's a terrific style for the koala, Sandra.

On the animal front, my dog had to go to the vet yesterday...abcesses on his paw. Vet thought ...maybe ingrowing hairs. He had to have a poultice and a bandage. I got a collar-thing in case he was tempted to chew off his plaster but he has been good as gold. He has beeen 'milking' the sympathy vote a bit!! Getting carried everywhere...and extra treats....and looking all sad, holding his paw up for everyone to go...aw and ah. Poor little trooper. Goes back to the vet on Friday.

azulparsnip
08-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Ahhh, poor Toby.......LOL.......what a little stinker.......

I'm starting to come out of the funk. I wonder what was touching my spirit sooo. I keep thinking about my daughter in the airforce in Germany. Her husband has been going thru a hard time. and she works with the wounded coming out of Afghanistan........hard stuff. I'm still in prayer for whatever it is......but now I can do art too......;)

artbyjune
08-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Robin, that's a tough job...working in the forces! And the Afghanistan problem/war is taking its toll on soldiers. We get reports of UK soldiers and so on all the time here.

As for my small medical problem...Toby had to stay at the vets and have surgery today!! he has his abcesses cleaned out (there was a grass seed in one that caused the pain)...and now he is sleeping beside me. Back to the vet on Monday for a check-up.

other than that, all is quite here. I got out my OPs again after a long break from them. Very enjoyable. No dust!!!!

gakinme
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
It's a trying time for all military families, Robin. Hope your daughter will keep safe.

I'm glad it's Friday!! Finally.

trafford
08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I can't imagine the worry parents must have having a child in the service. War, for whatever reason, is such a terrible thing. Glad your daughter, Robin, is in Germany, where she is a little safer. Though one wonders if we are safe any where.

Poor little Toby...hope he is on the mend...a grass seed? How strange.

I have no excuses for my complete laziness this summer. Keep staring at the pastels as if they'll leap out of the box and do a picture for me...oh well, I'll get there.

Neat Koala, Sandra. I'm off now to stick my breaded eggplant in the oven for tonights parmesian. :heart:

azulparsnip
08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I gotten these latest ideas for artomat bookplates

artbyjune
08-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Hi Robin. Turtles and crocs are your favourite creatures just now. I love the croc...touch of humour!!

I got a treasury of 'Flower fairies' by Cicely Mary Barker in the Charity shop. It was cheap and in very good, almost new, condition. So that pleased me.

I've been doing pen & watercolour wash of flowers this week. Not my usual subject...

Here's one I did yesterday, from the RIL...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2010/106623-1wildflowers1a6k.jpg

'Wildflowers in glass vase', pen and wash, 8 by 12 ins, Saunders paper.

:wave:

gakinme
08-28-2010, 10:25 PM
June, such sunlight bathing the flowers and window. Very cheery.

Robin, I like the turte one! I can imagine what it would look like when you do it up.

Look, look, I did a piece with a new purchase - Derivan Liquid Pencil. See my review here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9560251&postcount=74

Photo album Scrapbook - smooth surface 8 x 11 inch
Daniel Smith Watercolor for hand and box
Derivan Liquid Pencil Sepia Non-rewettable formula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2010/86669-derivanliquid_1.jpg

artbyjune
08-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Hi sandra, thanks for commenting.

I like your Japanese figures. Great swirl decorations on the foreground man's costume. Liquid pencil...now that sounds interesting!

trafford
08-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I really have to catch up....delicate flowers and turtles and crocs. OH MY! I'm just jealous because I haven't done one drawing the whole of August until today while having a very looong telephone conversation. Posted it in paint-a-long, and now I feel inspired.

Nice drawing Sandra and I read your critique. You keep us informed of all the new stuff and how it works :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
08-29-2010, 08:28 PM
June = yes, flowers are not your usual subject but these are delicate. I like your use of the white between the petals of the mums ( maybe) . Thanks for the comment.

Janet - I'm glad you got some art work done, and are recharged. I'll go to the paint along and check it out.:)

Sandra - yes, thanks for the comments and for the art tool review. I like the sepia tone. This is a strong drawing all the way around.

jacquip
08-29-2010, 08:57 PM
People have been busy. I have been slack and distracted. I keep looking at reference images that I know I want to work with but just no motivation right now. Sandra I found the liquid graphite a while ago and love love love using it. It is amazing the variety of tones you can get. It has a great smooth feel with the brush. I use a lot of water with it myself. It was interesting to read your comments on it. I hope you find a way to use it that you are happy with. BTW I use the rewettable variety.