PDA

View Full Version : Graphic file formats, what do you use

mARZ
10-01-2002, 12:38 PM
Ok, everyone this may seem silly but, here is my question:

What file format do you all use/prefer when scanning then saving in one software then moving from one PC/software package to another?

my situation is that I have Corel at home and work, Illustrator
and PSP5 at home. Logicly I should use Corel at both locals, but the corel files are just to large to move back and forth on 1.4 floppies. I know I can convert to jpg and have tiny little files, but is that the best file to re-open in corel/other software.

Thank you,
mARZ

:confused:

crazy_cat
10-01-2002, 02:02 PM
If you have a web site throw the file there and e the path to your work address and pull the file, zipped is what I use. If you don't have a site there are a ton of free web space sites out there, get one and use it for file placement. If I am working a file away from home I want to use the original file, not a jpeg or gif if I can help it. My other options are I burn it to a cd. Maybe others have some great ways of doing this.

Greg C.
10-01-2002, 05:39 PM
I use .tiff for all my scans and for any sort of cross platform transfer. It supports lossless compression, color profiles, alpha channels and is supported by nearly every image editing program and OS. Free web space or free online hard drive space is a good idea for file transfer...or burn a cd...or even get one of those nifty USB key chain things that store 15 mb...lot's of options!

coolray
10-01-2002, 06:15 PM
mARZ

I have Photoshop, Corel, and other graphic programs. While a tiff images are good to use, I find they get to be to large for me too quick. I wind up using jpeg. I can manipulate it in many programs with very little problems. And print results are pretty good too! I found that you can import a Photoshop (psd) image into Corel, layers and all. That is a neat way to further work with the image without flattening it.

It really is what your computer will let you do. Some images get so large that you can't handle them. The computer may freeze up.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Greg C.
10-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by coolray

It really is what your computer will let you do. Some images get so large that you can't handle them. The computer may freeze up.

This is very true...I did not take that into account. (my files are generally 200mb and up!). One thing about jpeg to keep in mind- every time you save the file it recompresses itself and therefore slightly diminishes in image quality with each save. If you go that route I would use the highest compression quality you can manage. Also, if you ever have any intentions of printing your work, most places will want a tiff and/or the native file format...be warned though, some prepress and digital printers will throw their arms up in disgust at Corel files.

coolray
10-02-2002, 11:16 AM
I heard that! I have delt with print companies that just go spastic at the idea of a corel based image. "It has to be illustrator!" they would say. Frankly both are vector programs, I don't understand why one couldn't import into the other.

Yes compression is an issue. I keep the original vector image. If I need to make changes, I do it there. Then I export as a jpeg. All my programs are set up like that. I never resave a jpeg for the compression reason.

Terry

mARZ
10-02-2002, 12:12 PM
Ok, thanks everyone.

What I plan on is mostly scan in my drawings/inks and then colour etc with corel or some other program. If I keep the original scan in a programs native format then export tiff without colours to colour elsewhere I should be good. then when coloured save as jpg for use on the web and program native/printer preference for reproduction (I wish was at that stage!).

I am still trying to master my art skills, I'm only really in need of enough practice to become consistant and thats my weakness. Not enough time to practice or to many interests pulling me in different directions, leaving me stuck where I started! :rolleyes:

anyways, thanks again,
mARZ

Greg C.
10-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by coolray
I heard that! I have delt with print companies that just go spastic at the idea of a corel based image. "It has to be illustrator!" they would say. Frankly both are vector programs, I don't understand why one couldn't import into the other.

I think it mostly stems from Corel's bad rep on Macs...getting it to work and not crash used to be a real adventure! Actually, I'm not sure if Corel Draw is even still made for Mac OS?