PDA

View Full Version : Michelle's Sketchcrawl Journal

mhimeswc
07-31-2010, 08:02 PM
This journal is a black hard-bound spiral "all media" journal. I've been using it for Sketchcrawls for the last couple of years. I won't post the previous pages, just the two that I did today. I usually do sketchcrawls with my sister and painting buddy Joan, but she's living the good life in Venice this month, so I did a solo at a local park. It was SO hot! I only got two sketches done (hardly qualifies as a sketchcrawl with only 2) before I needed to come home to get out of the heat. The first is a view of the pond and the education center, and the second is part of a group of flowers - the bright red attracted my attention.

eyepaint
07-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Love that first one!!

Davkin
07-31-2010, 08:28 PM
These are great. I wish I had someone to go sketching with.

David

DrDebby
07-31-2010, 11:27 PM
I think your sister should have taken you to Venice for a sketch crawl. :lol:

These are beautiful. It's too bad it was so hot.

Vivien Maloney
08-01-2010, 02:39 AM
These are great. The view of the building and pond is a lovely watercolor and the red flower is beautiful. I laughed at Debby's comment about Joan should have taken you to Venice. What a good idea!

virgo68
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Great stuff Michelle, and what dedication too ;)

mhimeswc
08-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Thank you, EP, David, Debbie, Viv and Jackie.

I laughed at Joan taking me to Venice too. Not sure that I would want to be away for a month and a half though. LOL

David, it is more fun to have someone to sketch with, but you do great on your own. You have such a beautiful area of the country to sketch in.

robertsloan2
08-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Mickey, these are beautiful. I love your delicate penwork. It looks as if you add it after painting, just a few accents here and there that don't connect. Nothing like my heavy penwork at all, it's gorgeous.

It must be fun to have someone to sketch with regularly like that. I can understand not wanting to leave for a month and a half, you've probably got someone at home you wouldn't want to leave behind for a month and a half. If I was going to go somewhere that long, it'd almost be easier to extend it to a year or so and move in. I could never leave Ari that long.

Admittedly, imagining going to Venice, my poor cat would be terrified. One look at the canals and he'd be climbing my shirt to stick his head in my armpit like he did as a kitten. He hates water.

Is that a Canson Montval All-Media Book with 90lb pages? Or is it the other one, the 10" x 7" one with the same binding and 140lb pages. That one comes in a larger size that's also landscape shaped. I almost bought the heavy paper version, it was tempting.

mhimeswc
08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Robert, I don't know the brand name for the all media book. I got it as a gift, and it doesn't say. I like the paper in it though. At first, I thought that when I used it up I would get something with a soft cover and less pages so it would be lighter to carry on sketchcrawls. But this paper takes watercolor, pen or pencil well, doesn't bleed through to the other side, and doesn't buckle as long as you don't saturate the paper. So I think when I use it up I will try to find another like it.

As for my pen work, I am usually a little too heavy handed, but I'm trying to lighten up and Joan showed me how to use a thinner pen and use broken lines, and I like the effect.

vhere
08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
nice sketch - I like my hardback Canson too for the same reasons and it protects the pages better than the softbacks

robertsloan2
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
They probably peeled the label off then. The Canson one has a label that removes easily. I usually stick it on the inside of the cover so that I can remember what to reorder.

Spiral hardback ones are so handy. They scan easier, lay completely flat in the scanner. They mean I don't need a drawing board, though cardboard on the back of a pad can do that, and they do protect the art inside so much better.

hydgirl
08-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Good sketches, Michelle! The leaves of the plant have turned out so well.

mhimeswc
10-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Saturday was Sketchcrawl day again. After some discussion about where we could go that would provide interesting sketching, Joan and I decided to try an area in Paterson, NJ that had a few interesting locations within a half mile of each other. The first was Lambert Castle - I don't really know the history of the castle but it is a museum now. It looked really cool up on the hill while we were driving up to see it, but by the time we got all the way up to the parking area, we were too close to see the whole thing with all the turrets. Which was probably a good thing, as buildings are not my strongest subject. LOL

It was cold and windy, and we were bundled up in our winter outerwear and still shivering. Joan finished her castle painting before me, and by the time I finished she was well into a sketch of the fountain behind us. I just took the time left to do a very quick scribble of the fountain in pencil.

The Great Falls of Paterson is a beautiful waterfall, situated right in the middle of a large city. I really enjoyed doing this sketch.

After leaving the falls we headed home and stopped at a farm stand to sketch the pumpkins and apples they had for sale.

It was a good sketchrawl!

DrDebby
10-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Very nice work, especially if you were freezing in the cold wind. Glad you had fun.

mhimeswc
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Debby. I'm hoping to do the next two sketchcrawls indoors. LOL

RainySea
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
love the fruit stand w/pumpkins and apples, so colorful. Nice work on the building.

robertsloan2
10-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Great sketchcrawl, good pencil of the fountain, fun pumpkins, cool castle and spectacular waterfall - that was my favorite. Gorgeous! I can see why it took so long to do the castle in that much detail, it's excellent!

mhimeswc
10-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks, Robert. Buildings are not my strong point. All those straight lines!

Joan T
10-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Mickey - Good work. Our sketchcrawl was a lot of fun!!! Both the castle and the falls made for great sketching. For some reason we tend to be outside in the cold. lol Next one will be indoors I hope!

Chuckcamo
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
like the way you created the waterfall, looks like you had a great view too...

virgo68
10-25-2010, 10:16 PM
I like the pumpkin stand :) Nice collection of sketches.

mhimeswc
10-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Joan - next crawl is Jan. 22 and I hope we can do it somehwere indoors. I remember the last time we did one in January. Brrrrr...

THanks, Chuckcamo and Jackie.

Yes, we did have a great view of the falls, although we were looking at it through a fence. But after a few minutes, we didn't even notice the fence.