PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie q: making plates?

Turner
10-01-2002, 06:42 AM
I'd like to make my own plates, maybe 20 x 30 inches at most.... and do this by affixing some cuttable (or precut) printing surface to masonite.

Any takers? :)

Thanks,
Andrew

Greg C.
10-01-2002, 04:58 PM
I'm assuming for block prints? You could just adhere linoleum or similar substance to the masonite...are you intending to run these through a press or hand print?

Turner
10-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi Greg -

Actually, it's for monoprints, but I suppose that the more durable the medium the better. I have considered adhering various surfaces to others, but need easy removal...

I also considered pre-cutting the image, then gluing it to something.

Not sure yet.

I'm also considering using an etching press as well as experimenting with hand pressing.

Thanks,
Andrew

Originally posted by Greg C.
I'm assuming for block prints? You could just adhere linoleum or similar substance to the masonite...are you intending to run these through a press or hand print?

sassybird
10-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Turner,

I have found that plexiglass is the best material for me to do mono prints from. A mono print is a print that you only make one of. If you take time to do a block cut, either lino or wood then you would want to make more than one print.

Using plexi you can either lightly sand the surface so that the watercolor or oil paints adhere to the surface better, or someone recently mentioned using gum arabic on the plexi before painting on it.

One thing good about plexi is that you can do a sketch, place it underneath and use the sketch as a guide for your mono print.

Greg C.
10-06-2002, 01:27 AM
Ditto what Charissa said...go with plexiglass. I usually coat mine with gum arabic for watercolor prints. It helps the paint adhere and more of the paint comes off the plate when you print...a very good thing when you print by hand! :D

Old etching plates work well for some monotypes as well

timelady
10-09-2002, 05:54 PM
I've done the plexiglass thing too. :) It's very handy.

I've also done a lino cut about the size you mention. Because it was very good quality lino (ie. quite flexible) I'm able to roll the lino gently for storing it. It could be attached to masonite though to make a nice sturdy plate. Of course, I have to hand-print it. Actually, I step on it. :) You can monoprint off uncarved lino too.

Oh, and for working that large I found japanese rice paper to be quite nice. It takes a print so easily that I didn't have to worry about getting enough pressure over the whole print, and it 'adheres' to the ink immediately so the paper doesn't shift part-way through printing. Argh! That's the worst thing on such a large print. With the rice paper (or whatever you decide to use) I roll it up and then slowly unroll it onto the plate starting from one edge and pressing gently as I go.

Tina.

Robp369
10-31-2002, 09:57 PM
go with pelxiglass its cheap

nonamac
11-03-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Greg C.
I usually coat mine with gum arabic for watercolor prints.

GREAT idea, Greg!! I'll have to try that. I was very disappointed with my wc prints and thought it was the medium. (Watercolour and I have a long-term love-hate relationship :D )

Macky