PDA

View Full Version : Colourfix Suede ?

Dea
07-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Has anyone seen or tried the new Colourfix Suede paper, I saw it mentioned in the latest pastel journal and I'm curious to know what it is like.

Deanna

johndill01
07-30-2010, 03:03 PM
I haven't heard of it, but would be very interested in trying it.

John

Mary Y
07-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Theartshop in Victoria will be getting it in.It is not on their web page but the person I spoke to said they would probably list it on Monday

Paula Ford
07-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I've never heard of it either. COOL! Can't wait to try something new :D

robertsloan2
07-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh that sounds fun. Especially if it's a color match for the regular Colourfix. I'd like to try suede board anyway, it's just so expensive and the board's huge if I ordered one.

Dea
07-31-2010, 03:35 AM
The bit in the pastel Journal said it has been developed to be less abrasive for pan pastels, I wonder if it is like pastelmat which we can't get here. At least I will be able to get this because Art Spectrum is an australian company.
I would like to try suede matboard as well but like Robert says it is too expensive.

Deanna

Lyta
07-31-2010, 09:30 AM
That sounds interesting! Please keep us posted if you decide to buy some. :) The colour range of the regular Colourfix is so beautiful... I found a blog post here (http://catherin-wwwanimalarthouse.blogspot.com/) (scroll down to "Lashes") and the artist seems to like the new suede surface... She calls it a "suede board", but I hope it's not really any thicker than the regular Colourfix.

Now, if it was really a bit like PastelMat, but in the traditional Colourfix colours, and maybe even as tolerant of water as the standard Colourfix... That would be wonderful. :D

RainySea
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Has anyone heard more about this? I saw on this blog below that it is due to be soon released by Dakota, but its not yet listed on their site.

http://petstoposies.blogspot.com/

Very eager to give it a try!

Deborah Secor
09-13-2010, 05:46 PM
http://artstretchers.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-colourfix-suede.html
Here's some info and a place to ask more questions!

Found in the comments there:
Colourfix Suede is so freshly launched it may take a little while for it to hit the shops. Our American distributor is Armadillo Art and Craft and they will have the best idea of your nearest retailer. [details there]

the drover's dog
09-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I ordered some of this on 3 Sept., along with some Unisons (will get to try these at last), and extra Schminkes and have been wondering why it hasn't arrived yet. I would have thought the order would well and truly be here by now as it's only coming 200 miles. They said they had it in stock on the site. Maybe they anticipated it's arrival.

Will let you know when it arrives and what it looks like. Don't have any pans to try on it, but will use my Schminkes.

Dale

RainySea
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Dale. How exciting that you will get some soon!
BTW, I got an email from the company yesterday saying this:

Thank you for your interest in Art Spectrum Colourfix Suede Paper. It is expected to arrive in the United States shortly!!! Once it becomes available you will be able to mail order it directly from the following store:

Dakota Art Store, 1-888-345-0067 , www.dakotapastels.com (http://www.dakotapastels.com)

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

But when I called Dakota, they indicated that they had not placed it for sale yet because there had been a "quality issue" with the shipment received which the company was working on. So Dakota is not selling it yet until that is addressed. Maybe that is also why you have not gotten yours as of yet, Dale?

the drover's dog
09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Still no sign of my order containing the Colourfix Suede. I've emailed the vendor to ask what is holding things up and specifically asked if it is the Suede that is the problem.

Stay tuned........................

Dale

saphyrearabian
09-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Can't wait to try this out either!

I did one time find on ebay about 100 9x12 pieces of suede matboard in black.
I don't use it much, cos it's so hard to find, but it might be a place to check until Dakota brings it in.

Diana

RainySea
09-15-2010, 01:35 AM
I also got a bunch of black suede matboard as that was all I could find, but found that its not easy with the pastels I have to get the colors bright and light on the black. I'm eager for the colors that colorfix shows on the one site I found from lovely sands to gray and white and black and a jewel blue and more.

the drover's dog
09-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Just had a return email re arrival of Suede. Hold up is due to unavailability of one of the Schminke colours. Should receive the parcel by tomorrow. Not sure if I'll be able to pick it up at the P.O. then as I head in the opposite direction early in the morning for our regular Thursday paint-in and I have the keys to unlock the hall, so can't be late.

Keep you posted.

Dale

the drover's dog
09-16-2010, 05:47 AM
The parcel containing a sheet of Art Spectrum Suede arrived. Everyone was drooling over it at today's paint-in. It feels like finest moleskin (the fabric, not the skin of the mole). Velvety and smooth, yet you can feel the tooth. It has a sensuous feel to it. There is no knap (sp?) to it yet it feels as if it should have some.

I think the pastel pencil artists are going to love it as will those with a lighter touch with softies. For me, who has a very heavy hand with softies, it will not hold enough layers. The attached pic is poor, but I had to take it in fluorescent light without the flash and I should be cooking dinner so no tripod. Why no flash? The Suede bounces light back into the lens which is interesting. The pics came out a bleached white colour.

The green scribble on the left is a Giacondo pastel pencil used heavily. The middle scribble has an Art Spectrum applied on top of the pencil. Right scribble is pencil, AS and a Lime Schminke as the top layer. Was flat out getting the Schminke to stick as the tooth is chockers.

Dale

RainySea
11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Have you tried a work on this colorfix suede yet, Dale? It looks lovely. Sure wish I could get hands on some.

the drover's dog
11-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Rainy, I haven't painted on anything since June when I became default Pres., of our Art Society. Been too busy with Art Soc., admin., or have been on the sick list.

Have just handled about 100 sheets of this Suede which Art Spectrum sent up for our Margaret Evans workshop. I had to divide it up into workshop kits. Will get to try it tomorrow.

I suspect it will not suite my heavy handed style with softies, but will be wonderful for Pans, pastel pencils, coloured pencils and even painting with acrylics, gouache etc., It has a good tooth, but looks velvetty. I suspect it is Colourfix with a much, much finer abrasive grit incorporated. Will probably be as durable as the Colourfix too.

Watch for my workshop posting. Might take a couple of days to post as I have three medical appointments a long way from home, the day after the workshop.

Dale

Dea
11-25-2010, 07:56 PM
For anyone who didn't see it in the pastel studio, here is a painting I did on Colourfix Suede paper.
It works well with pan pastel and I also used the applicators to smudge and move around my base colours that weren't pan pastels. I didn't find that it ran out of tooth, it's just different than sanded paper.
The colours aren't the same as the sanded colourfix and it is a bit hard to figure out which colour is which from the names.
Anyone is Australia can get it from www.theartshop.com.au
Deanna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2010/40985-dogs2.jpg

the drover's dog
11-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Lovely job on the Malamutes Deanne.

Just attended a workshop with Margaret Evans where we used the Suede paper. See post here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790561

I did have trouble with running out of tooth and had to use Spectrafix fixative to give me another layer of tooth. I did not use any real softies because I had pastel newbies sharing my pastel box and I thought that the Schminckes etc., might cause them problems if used early in the piece, so I removed them from the box. The softest pastels I used were Art Spectrums and Rembrandts.

Dale

Dea
11-28-2010, 09:55 PM
The dogs are done with art spectrum pastels, they are the softest I have. I found that the harder pastels (polychromos, conte) weren't good on this paper. I put down my base colour and moved it around with the pan pastel applicators and I think that may have helped the tooth situation because it took some of the pastel off and left a really light covering.

Deanna

RainySea
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Dale.