PDA

View Full Version : basement flooded my art journal

jesusRIGsinker
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
hey guys:wave:

about a week ago my basement got flooded and soaked my art journal. I only made about 13 works in it. most of the pastel paintings were smeared but my acrylic work was ok. its dry right now but do I continue working on this one or do I by a new journal? i know that art journals aren't meant to last long so I'm still wondering what the flood water could have done to the paper. Is this is a problem that I should worry about? BTW I need to make at least 55 works in the journal til September for this art program I'm taking. any advice much appreciated! :)

mhimeswc
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow! That's awful!

Whether you should start over depends on several things. What shape are the rest of the pages in? Is there a chance that the journal will get mildew? Can you repair the pastel work? If you chuck it, can you finish 55 new works by your deadline? Can you do the remainder of the work in a new journal and hand them in together? A lot to think about. Only you can decide what will work best for you. I hope it all works out for you.

DrDebby
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Oh, how awful for you.

I'm going to agree with Michelle and ask what condition the paper is in now that it's dry. Can you work on it? I assume it can take some moisture because you worked in the journal in acrylics. Did it dry flat or buckle? Does that bother you if it's warped? What media were you planning on using for the rest of the pages? All these are things you need to factor for yourself.

And your pastel work, can you repair, or re-do it?

More importantly, what kind of flood water was it? Were there toxins or raw sewage in the flood water? Will you be endangering your health to work on the pages? In which case I would strongly advise getting a new journal.

Good luck to you figuring this out. With a September deadline, you'll have to work quick no matter which way you go.

virgo68
07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Ditto to everything Michelle and Debbie have said..... good luck completing the work, personally I would start again and pick quick subjects and medium!

robertsloan2
07-31-2010, 02:03 AM
That is frustrating. I'd turn in the acrylics that came through decently, but get a new journal to finish the class work. I'm sure your professor will understand about the flood, but I wouldn't want to work with possibly mildewed paper. I've lost some good journals to floods in the past too, carefully cut out any salvageable pages and replaced the book.

You might try redoing the pastel pieces from what's left, looking at them and doing the same subjects in more or less the same style. You might surprise yourself with the improvement. Every time I go back to a subject I've drawn or painted before I discover more about it and improve.

If after months it shows no staining or evidence of mildew, then the soaked sheets might still be usable as sketch paper. But it's too long to wait for the results if you need to do the assignments and working on cockled paper is frustrating anyway.

Aiylah
07-31-2010, 07:08 AM
Oh, that's terrible.

I wouldn't continue using that journal, the flood water may have ruined the paper and it might be difficult to work on? I agree you can try hand in the acrylics if they are not ruined. Also watch out if they start to smell or anything - we had a flood a couple of years ago and our basement was waist high in water. We had to throw a *lot* of stuff out because of water damage - not just because the water ruined them but also because of smell and, let's face it, the water was nowhere near even clean/clear, coming off the streets. If the weather is good again, try putting the journal outside to air, or, if you decide to take out the pages (acrylics), lay them all out separately.

In any case, good luck!

Vivien Maloney
07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
Ditto to what everyone else has said. I'd salvage what I could and throw the old one out and start again.

TaniaBee
08-02-2010, 05:45 AM
So sorry to hear about your Journal, that must be devastating... but i agree with everyone, i would start with a new journal and save what i can from the damaged one. All the best :)

jesusRIGsinker
08-05-2010, 01:42 AM
thanks for all the advice but I'm choosing to stay with my old journal. the pages are slightly warped but I could fix that by placing it under some heavy weight books. thankfully most of my pastel works are still recognizable and my acrylic works are harmless.I'm not too worried about mildew since art journals aren't meant to last long anyways. But thanks for your advice!