PDA

View Full Version : Creek Crossing

granddad
07-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I haven't really decided a name for this yet. I am open for suggestions. Its fresh off the easel. I have attached the ref photo so you can give some good C and C. Its 9 x 12 on reclamed Wallis paper. Done with Terry Ludwig, NuPastels, and GA. The ref was taken in Yellowstone last year by me. As you can tell, I deviated from the photo. I opend the brush with a path because I thought it might act as a barrier if it was solid. All C and C welcomed, thanks for looking, james

Paula Ford
07-25-2010, 10:56 PM
WOW! Really nice James!!

Here are my suggestions. If it were my painting, I would lighten and add more blues to the background trees as they go off into the distance on the right, and even though the photo shows how you've done the foreground grasses, I would mass them in instead of having 3 separate rows of grass.

Great piece!

Donna T
07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree, very nice work, James! I agree with Paula's suggestions for the background trees too; they could be softened and pushed into the distance a little more. You could possibly keep just the foreground path on the right so that we could visually cross the field, cross the creek and go up the path (good thinking!) on the other side. I think Creek Crossing works very well for the title.

cornwall
07-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Very very nice work.

plindley
07-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Very nice piece. COntinuing on the 'colour change with distance' theme, even though the picture shows a warmer green in the mid ground than the foreground, I would brighten the foreground (on the near side of the creek) and introduce cooler tones in the far field at the back... again to push it back. Perhaps a few darker tones at the bottom of the far creek bank would anchor it a little more.. I like how you broke up the bank with a 'path' ... it is much better than a solid green wall.

Good job!

Pat

granddad
07-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I really appreciate it and will make some changes. thanks again, james

allydoodle
07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Now this is nice! I agree with the suggestions, and look forward to seeing your next post. :thumbsup:

mayhaps
07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Vary the heighth of the grass on the far bank. It is to uniform. I get stuck on the straight line on either side and follow it out of the picture on the right side. Keeps me from getting to the distant trees.

Tracy Lang
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Beautifully painted, James!

Tracy

granddad
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Here is the updated verison. I have cooled the tress in the back, made only path, and tried to make the brush on the far bank more uneven. Please let me know if this is better or worse. The colors are a little darker in real life. I am still open for C and C. Thanks for looking, james

Donna T
08-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Nice changes, James! I think the less-busy foreground makes it much easier to enter your painting.

Ruthie57
08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Shame. I can't see it! I'll come back later and see if I can see..lol

Ruthie57
08-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Still can't see it! Can you give it another go James 'cos I really WANT to see it!!

artpaint
08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
This image is not showing up on my screen , In fact there are many not showing up even the small picture in the upper left corner.And it is not a problem with my computor.I think it may be a problem with the site