View Full Version : Registering hand-pulled prints?

09-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Just wondering what some methods might be that are commonly used for keeping paper and plates in place for hand-pulled prints...



09-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Andrew, I have used a few different methods, but the one that worked best for me was to set my plate between some linoleum or wood corners the same thickness as the plate. That will keep your plate from moving. I have used plexiglass to put over the paper so that my pressure is even when I rub, and it will not cause the paper to break down during the process. That also holds the paper in place.

Another thing you can do is leave enough space at the top of the paper to staple to a surface that your plate secured to with the corners.

Believe me it is all experimental, and each artist has their own preferred way of hand pulling prints.

09-30-2002, 05:42 PM
I've always used masking tape on my press bed to mark the edges of my paper. Some press beds even have grids printed on them if you're lucky. :) For hand-rubbed prints on a table (like monoprints) I just tape one side of the paper to the table and "flip" the paper like a leaf in a book to print multiple layers. The plate (usually a piece of glass) is likewise taped to the table on all edges enough to keep it in place.


10-01-2002, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm realizing the experimental aspect... heck, that makes it more fun. I have to remember to keep notes...