Title: The Echinecian Jou
ey
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is done from the color photograph. The saturated color was wanted. So there was a struggle between the clients desire and my artistic nature.

I used some black in this which is not my wont to do either.

I want to tell my self I am through with it, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I probably am not...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it bright enough?

has adapting the image to a different dimension of format harmed its compositional aspects? That is...does it look enough the same as the photo to not cause consteRNation in the photographers eye? The beautiful upward thrust of the image in the photo is lost because the painting format is not as tall. So that sense of movement is lost.

Have I 'killed' it by going too tightly into the flower petals and their interstices?

Bellaskye
07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
I love it! I do feel however that the petals need to be more pink, some light pink and much darker pinks. The one pointing toward the top of my right corner has the closest color to echinecia. On my monitor a lot of the petals on the other flowers are leaning more towards purple. Mostly the ones on the top left. I feel you caught the look of the centers to a T!!!

billmahler
07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Good feeling in this one, Corby
Have I 'killed' it by going too tightly into the flower petals and their interstices?
I don't think so.
I think that you'd feel more "finished" if you step back and just think about the time of day and type of sky overhead.
I'm guessing that it's slightly overcast and its around noon, with the light coming from high on the viewer's left.
Getting the lights and darks consistent with that setting will pull it together for you, I think.

eyecandy2
07-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I wonder if you want the eye to go to the brightest flower which is the flower to the right of the butterfly first. I would like to see the butterfly be the center of interest and then the flowers will follow. I have the impression that the eye will seek out the brightest thing first and then travel from there. As to the change in format, I guess you have limited the space for the butterfly to go to, but I don't really feel that it is of great importance. And I don't think that you have gone to tight with the flower petals.

Andy1961
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
lovely pic corby the petals look fine

La_
07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
nice one Corby!

of comp, if you figure you've lost some height and want it back, i think all you have to do is accentuate a few of the stems a bit more, make them as tall as you possibly can ... skinny up the width of the poof of petals a bit more (bedraggle them somewhat), and maybe get rid of the 2nd from the bottom blossom to open up that space a bit more ...

or, the client has the photo already right, let the painting be :)

la

ahughes798
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Looks like Echinacea pallida, or the Pale Purple Coneflower. Their petals are paler than on the Echinacea purpurea, Purple Coneflower. Very excellent. I like how you did the background, too.

brushoff
07-22-2010, 12:19 AM
My monitor is showing a medium value where the middle of the flower meets the petals. Maybe, and I say it with reserve, if you darkened that area on each flower with aliz crimson, ultramarine blue and possibly an umber and drag it upward a tad it would make them pop?????

Bis007
07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
It is a lovely journey for the butterflies and bees-they love the Ech. Ref. looks like it was taken after a rainfall? lush green- Lovely piece mr.c The BG is so so nicely done also. :music::music:

Corby
07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi BIS! Thank you for the nice comment. It is a garden setting and they keep it well watered. Plus which the high color is pretty much the way of glossy film.

brushoff That is an extremely helpful color recommendation, thank you, I will put it to use.

ahughes Thanks for the added info. I like knowing what I paint. Knowing of Echinecia, I didn't look it up. Your comment moves me to do so!

Hi LA! Thanks for the good observation! I would have done many things differently here, but the client took the picture and wanted it pretty much as is...I have already taken liberties that may get me in trouble!

Andy, thank you, I appreciate your tender visual sensibilities oh subtle painter of birds.

Hi Phil! good points you make, yes I would prefer that the butterfly be the center of interest. I would have done it more so if I could have rearranged things to my liking, but the client did a nice job taking the photo and wished it to be maintained pretty much as is. The butterfly has a lot of competition color wise with those flowers!

Bill Yes! Exactly what was needed! I am always harping about light flow but got so sidetracked with other issues that I plumb forgot! Thank you.

Bellaskye! Yes I want to avoid the purple, thanks for pointing that out! It pretty much resulted from wanting to push those flowers to the background and visually push the butterfly at us...

Andy1961
07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
thx for that corby lol my next pic is a red squirrel

Bis007
07-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Thought I share this pic, hope you don't mind.:crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2010/119201-corby-Echn.jpg
This was taken in the late morning today - size reduced.(even tho it was sunny). Living in the city is a drag- I am renting a plot for gardening, it's hard work but it is rewarding. There is a huge section with Echinecian and various flowers- for the bees and butterflies to pollinate the veggies. Watching them buzzing around these flowers is a treat.

Your client will be very proud to receive your lovely piece:thumbsup:. Happy summer all.

tgsloth
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I got late to this thread. Usually I try to critique the painting but in this case, I would just like to say that I'm impressed with the comprehensive and thoughtful critiques which have already been posted. This is how the forum should work. It's sure helped me a lot.

crazywoman53
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Corby I think you have done a wonderful job with this. However... I am thinking that since you leaned the petal color towards the lavender side (at least on my monitor anyway) That the back ground would serve the flowers better were it warmed up some with some lighter yellows. Then the darker stems would come foreward. Now the stems almost appear as if they are part of the background to me. I love the background the way it is but think the color would better serve pinker hues in the petals... well that's my two cents for what it is worth.. Some good comments above as well.

NXH
07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Corby, It's a lively painting. The petals might need to be darker and more mutted where they connected to the center cone. They look sharp at that end.
Nguyen

beartist
07-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Really nice! Nothing to add. Its nice to see everyone so helpful.

cathaden
07-24-2010, 10:56 AM
You captured the essence of the important aspects of the photo & made it a painterly work of art. Making the contrasts more intense on the petals would be my only thought, but it is beautiful as is, too. Your client should be very pleased!

Corby
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Cathaden Thank you for that assessment of things! Everyone has been such a help with this!

beartist Thanks for looking in...yes the WC! is just the greatest!

NXH appreciate it!

Crazywoman! Good points! I am applying all of the fine crits I have received here, it has rteally helped!

TG! I always appreciate it when you look in.

Here is the final painting. Ignore the 'smudgies' around the signature. I just blended away the image of the toothpick that I had used to keep the wet surface of the painting off the scanner bed...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2010/70790-cone.jpg

brushoff
07-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Awesome, such clarity!!!

cathaden
07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
perfect now!

Harry Seymour
07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Corby-I liked the muted effect here. You have a lot to think about with the above suggestions but you have certainly a solid piece to modify.

MRSBB
07-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Corby. I'm late to the party. Sometimes life gets in the way. I like both versions but think you got a lot more depth with this latest version. I learn so much with all the input from different artist's, but in the end it has to be your vision. Keep enjoying your art............Lenore

crazywoman53
07-26-2010, 12:18 AM
Ah Yes.. this is very nice. Love the changes you made. I am sure the owner will love it! Now the flowers are coming forth including the stems. I wouldn't mind having this one in my house..:)

Bellaskye
07-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Such lovely pinks! These are one of my favorite flowers, job well done!!! Bravo!

Bis007
07-26-2010, 02:58 AM
:clap:It is lovely-more pinkish. (What do called those long thing on a butterfly head?)

Corby
07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks to each and every one! I appreciated the helpful comments! Maybe I will do some more small flowers, not only are they fun but they seem to sell.....Thanks for asking Bis...the things on the butterflys head are 'antennae' and I forgot them!...