PDA

View Full Version : Weave Cover A4 Sketchbook ~ Whatever Whenever

TaniaBee
07-20-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I bought a new A4 Sketchbook which has a grass woven like cover - here is a picture of it - i liked that earthy look about it and so i bought it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2010/186673-Cover.jpg

So here is the 2nd/3rd Page of my sketchbook (doing the front cover first makes me feel all nervous and i end up procrastinating getting started, so i always do the second page first and then go back and do something exciting on the first page - so keep watching this space). I call it 2nd or 3rd because I'm not sure if i should use the pages back to back - any suggestions?? if i used colour pencil it may rub onto the next page.

Anyway, so here it is - these three pictures are from this past weekends WDE.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2010/186673-Page_3.jpg
The first picture is of Penelope by Artmutt - what a gorgeous face!!
The second picture is of a Ladybug which i only drew part of the whole picture.
The third picture is of a little toy clown, i only drew the face.
There is a gap in the page i know, i don't know what to do in there, should i write something? draw something else? Suggestions are welcome.

All of them were done with:
Derwent Inktense & Aquatone for the 'under painting'
Derwent Coloursoft Pencils for more colour and intensity
Pitt Pens for some of the details
All in all it took me about 4 hours to do.

jacquip
07-20-2010, 04:04 AM
Great start Tania. What a great looking sketchbook, can understand how you could not resist buying it. What is the paper like?

Nice colourful WDE drawings. Great shading and shaping esp on the dog and ladybug.

I only ever use on side of my sketchbooks so don't have any advice on which medium might be best to avoid smudging, cross contamination. I am also shocking at page layout and composition. I am here to learn as much as you. Glad to share the journey.

jmb57
07-20-2010, 04:36 AM
saw these over at the wde, you did a great job....i am getting close to getting into the wde myself, especially like the idea of doing it and using the journal as well....anyway, i dont know what i am so scared of, everyone is so nice.
again, lovely start to your journal

virgo68
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Tania, no wonder you couldn't resist the journal! I had a chuckle over the first page thing - that is something I tend to do also ;) You have made a great start thought - well done.

I usually draw on the right side of my sketchbook so there is no transfer of colour etc but in the small A5 book I have been using I threw caution to the wind and have been using both sides because it mostly pen and once the inktense or graphitints are washed they don't seem to transfer. I guess there is no answer for that one - it is going to be a personal preference thing I think!

mhimeswc
07-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Good job on those WDE sketches.

I sometimes use both sides, and sometimes only one, depending on what media I'm using. I don't like to work on the back of a buckled watercolor sketch, and I don't a heavy shaded pencil sketch to touch the front anything else. And I just plain like using the right side better. But I also don't like to waste paper so if it's not going to disturb anythng I do try to use both sides.

TaniaBee
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I think you're all right, it depends on what media you're using... if it's watercolour or the like it will dry and have no effect of the next page, if it's colour pencil or graphite, it does tend to smudge across. Thanks everyone for the advise :)

Jakesgram
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Tania, your sketches are gorgeous! I'm intrigued by your use of Inktense & Aquatone for the 'under painting and Coloursoft Pencils for more colour and intensity. I LOVE the vivid, deep colors you've gotten this way. I don't have any Coloursoft or Aquatone. May have to get a few individual pencils and try them out.

The woven cover on your journal is beautiful. I can see why you were not able to resist it. I use only the right side when I am doing watercolor because I've had cases where I used both sides of the paper and then decided I liked both of them well enough to want to frame them! :lol: That's pretty unlikely for the work in my sketchbook, but I don't actually use the Carnet de Voyage very often, so I'm okay with just using half the surfaces.

On the other hand, my "drawing" sketchbooks, I generally use both sides. I don't do a LOT of pencil work, but when I do, I will usually spray the page with a matt finish fixative when I am through with it. I more often use Inktense or ink or Pitt pens, and I don't have to worry about the color transferring. So basically, it's personal choice.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this sketchbook. Your work is really good!

Jean

robertsloan2
07-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Tania, that's a great journal. Beautiful first page, so brilliant and strong. I'd put a little text, write in the date of the WDE and who hosted it, a bit about mediums used in what order. That works a little better than trying to find something to draw that'd exactly fit the space.

I use both sides in my All-Media Book, where the paper's heavy enough to take it. I usually just do one side in my cheap sketchbook so that smeary mediums like graphite don't mess up facing pages and ink doesn't seep through into a previous page. I'll use markers in it and juicy pens sometimes, so that worked better. Also, whether it's the pocket size or letter size, the cheap ones are cheap enough I don't feel like it's a big waste to only use one side. It depends on the paper for me.

DrDebby
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Beautiful start to a great sketchbook. I can see why the cover caught your eye. The hound is delightful.

I agree with Robert. A little text in the blank space. You could post your references, the date, and your media. I forget to date my sketches most of the time, so I don't remember when I did them. Trying to get better at that. But then, I just looked at my sketchbook and I'm still not doing so. :rolleyes:

Vivien Maloney
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Great start to your new Journal! I also know about the "first page" thing. It's always terrifying, but I think "Oh what the heck" and just use it anyway. I love your WDE sketches. Yes you could put some text beside the dog if you wanted to, but it's a personal choice because it's how you want the page to look. Very interesting cover to this Journal. I'll look forward to seeing more.

christinemlr
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
What a lovely sketchbook, and great start with those drawings, you've got a sensitive approach to the colour and surface mark making with the different mediums. I don't usually put anything on the first page either, except sometimes write something in large colourful letters. I think you'll really enjoy this sketchbook because you'll enjoy picking it up and working in it, its such a nice object.
Xina

TaniaBee
07-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Thank you all for you kind words & encouragement - i have an idea of my first page & i think i'm going to write in that gap as you've suggested.

Yesterday was a down day for me and didn't get to do anything :( but hopefully today i can begin in the next page of my sketchbook and i will post again soon.

virgo68
07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh Tania! Sorry to hear you had a down day and hope you add to your lovely journal again soon :)

eyepaint
07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Love that cover :) And I like the sad doggy face, too :)

TaniaBee
07-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Thank you all for peeping in.... i think i'm having a down week as everything seems to be such an effort - i think it's the winter blues :(
But I started feeling better last night, so I drew these two pictures, references from Drawspace - Page 4:

The top right is a little garden ornament, it seems to be made of grass or something with a similar texture that has been coloured.
The bottom - Mushrooms....
it's not complete yet, but just wanted to share the progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2010/186673-Page_4.jpg

Derwent Inktense Pencils (Wet & Dry)
Derwent Coloursoft Pencils (Mushrooms)
Derwent Aquatone Pencils (Mushrooms)
Pitt Pens (Mushrooms)
All in all took me about 2.5 hours

PS. I decided to use both pages - i'm going to buy a fixative this weekend so that i can 'seal' the pages and there won't be any smudging... hence in the photo & not so much in reality, you can see little Penelope peeping through the paper from the other side :)

Whisperwood
07-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Tania, love the mushrooms! I like mushrooms, eating them, picking them, drawing them! Yours are great! Love Penelope too and yes, I can see her peaking through! lol Cute :-)

DrDebby
07-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry you were having a hard time. The little garden ornament in interesting. Not seen anything like that. The mushrooms are gorgeous.

jacquip
07-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Tania the mushrooms are great. I know what you mean about winter blues, been very grey here, want some sunshine to cheer things up a bit. Keep sketching when you can. It cheers me up to see your wonderful work. :)

robertsloan2
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Cool garden ornament, but it's the mushrooms that shine! I love the way you varied their size and shape so much. The one tilting up really makes the row look good.

virgo68
07-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Good to see you are still creating Tania! Penelope looks like she is looking through a foggy window lol! I like your new page - interesting subject choices :)

TaniaBee
07-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Thank you all for your lovely comments!
Jacqui - the sun popped out this weekend and it really does cheer a person up. I'll try send you some African sun your way!! :)

Don't have anything to post today... i started doing some drawings from the WDE, but i decided to tidy up a section of our study at home as i decided i needed my own little art desk corner type thing - so i spent the entire day on Saturday, sorting, cleaning & making myself a nice little space!! I'm happy to say that it looks so nice & i did start drawing on Saturday evening because i was so excited, but was physically exhausted and had to spend Sunday resting (not to mention that Brandon wanted to go Wall Climbing....) so yes, hopefully i'll finish my next page & post it tomorrow!!

Thanks again to all who looked in & commented - it's very encouraging!!

Have a super day to all!!

JTMB
07-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Nice work, Tania! The dog and the ladybug are my favorites.

jacquip
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Tania it is great that you have set yourself up an art area. It is so nice to have somewhere with your supplies and materials and just relax. I am looking forward to seeing more from you soon. Keep well. Hope you have more sunshine. It has been foggy and icy cold here lately.

Whisperwood
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Tania you should post a photo, or a sketch, of your new, creative space! I love seeing peoples workspaces! Mine is just my computer desk, but it works :-)