PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Portrait on Velour

KD Art
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm afraid its a bit of the lame old excuse 'I forgot to post in the pastel forum' but - well - I did. Becoming so wrapped up in animals and wildlife that I can see little else sometimes (I'm surprised I haven't grown a set of whiskers!), I still work exclusively in pastel and my passion for the medium is undiminished. Loving seeing everyone's work - here's my latest, on velour. Happy painting! Kat

Elena in Exeter
07-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Oooh lovely.

Elena

*Deirdre*
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Kat...you were well named! Your work is truly realistic....beautifully done!

winecountry
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
arresting and beautiful Kat, love how you crowded him in the format, as it makes him seem like he's bursting out at us...and you've done a super job in values to push the body into the background and suggest the stride, so we don't have the floating head approach...really strong and well done.

kennychaffin
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
OMG I'm almost embarrassed to say this but I was looking at a lion painting on another forum just before seeing this and suddenly realized ... Damn Lions (and tigers) have round pupils in their eyes! Not slit pupils like my house cats! :o :o :o

Oh, Excellent Work here!

Paula Ford
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
:eek: WOW! Excellent work!

KD Art
07-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Elena, Deirdre and Paula - thank you so much for your kind words!

Kenny - thank you! Try this for embarrassment - my brother was in his twenties and still thought that a cat's paw was just a round blob and he had no idea that it had separate toes!!!

Colleen - I'm always impressed with your observational skills and perception in what was behind a piece of work. I had painted this tiger with a stride and only noticed that I had done that as I was signing the work - for you to pick up on that very thing is amazing!

Thanks again all! Kat

snowfall
07-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Absolutely stunning.

Pam

Merethe T
07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Absolutely gorgeous work, Kat - very striking! He's demanding our attention with his eyes. Love the comp, I've always had a soft spot for the big cats, their majestic posture is so impressive!

Glad you stopped by to show us, don't forget us now.... :)

John Palmer Fine Art
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Beautifully rendered, I love everything about it and particularly the softness of the fur. May I ask what pastels you used for this?
John

RainySea
07-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Amazing work. . . such intensity in those eyes. Lovely soft fur.

KD Art
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Thank you Pam, Merethe, John and RainySea! John - my pastel box is a riot of colours and brands all thrown in together I'm afraid (I love that dusty confusion because sometimes a colour just falls into my hand that I wouldn't normally have remembered or chosen and then it seems 'meant'!). The brands used in this were Faber Castell, Derwent, a couple of Winsor & Newtons and a couple of Conte. One of my main concerns was to avoid the obvious orangeness of orange which I find is often a common pitfall in painting tigers! Kat

IMaybe
07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Absolutley love your amazing art!!! What a wonderful painting! His posture, coming forward at us is amazing---and love the color as well. Thanks for posting----and for having a great web-site as well. You really are a giving artist!

water girl
07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
This is just fantastic. Those eyes are just incredible.

KD Art
07-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Thank you for your kind comments Ida and Karen. Ida - you sound so extraordinarily capable, ranching and all. What a strong woman you must be. I feel a bit of a namby pamby now! Kat

Colorix
07-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Kat, it's gorgeous! I'm about to become dinner! I mean, he's (she?) so alive, great subtle 'fading'/receding of what is not so important, giving solidness and movement to the cat. Wonderful work!

Charlie