PDA

View Full Version : Pink Blossom

Delmus Phelps
07-19-2010, 08:43 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-19-2010/159648_pink_blossum650.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-19-2010/159648_pink_blossum_upclose3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-19-2010/159648_pink_blossum_upclose4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Pink Blossom
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
One of my first attempts at a large blossom. My most difficult part was working with the canvas that had a medium texture. It made it difficult for details to go in where I wanted them. I've since learned how to smooth the canvas weave out.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm thinking the execution is OK, but the composition as a whole is really, really dull. :( Not sure how to improve on it at this late in the game, however, opinions are helpful so that I don't make the same mistakes in future.

I love the view of roses from this angle, but the placement within the canvas can't be centered like this.:confused:

Corby
07-19-2010, 10:17 AM
yes, portrait canvas is a good choice for flower paintings as the weave of coarser canvas gets in the way of what needs to be done. Thats pretty much what it comes down to, a centered composition, and that is ok. Rules are not absolute, they are guidelines to be learned and then used in a loose way as our need may dictate. My only crit with this is that the flower looks dirty, it lacks the purity of color and texture I am used to seeing in your work...translucent shadows based on a blue, a lavender, a green would probably have served the purpose better?

La_
07-21-2010, 02:03 AM
k, i could be way out in left field for you because i think you're going for a more traditional thing, and that's extremely cool, but you do say 'dull' ... i've a student working on a set of four individual, centred comp flowers and they all have black backgrounds ... it's quite striking, two with white flowers, titch of leafs on black and two with red flowers, titch of lears on black, she's very excited, tons of fun :heart: , i love newbie students :lol:

just a thought, there's many beautiful ways to mix beautiful 'blacks' if you want to ever punch up that background less traditionally :)

all in all i think you're flower is very beautiful, you show the patience and skill necessary, so many comps to choose from, what's next ...

la

lunchbox
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Sometimes glazing the background with a compliment of one the flower's colors will punch up the painting if you feel it is dull. I'm also noting that only a small percentage of the flower is strongly highlighted so that most of the flower is still in shadow. Corby is right, maybe spreading the light out to more of the petals would achieve what you are looking for? The water droplets are superb, and the flower itself, well done.

WFMartin
07-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Yes, a fully textured canvas can, indeed, cause a more dull appearance, because of the scatter of light bouncing randomly off the textrued surface.

A good way to create a smoother surface, and one that you probably already know, is to apply several further coats of acrylic primer to the surface. Thinning the acrylic primer with water until it is the consistency of cream causes it to be a bit self-leveling, when applied with a brush. Sanding between each two coats with a 150-grit sandpaper flattens what small amount of brush strokes are apparent after they are applied. The addition of about 8 to 12 further coats of this thinned primer is usually enough to eliminate most of the canvas weave.

Certain canvases have less prominent weave, and so they usually require less layers than those with the more prominent weave.

Canvas that has been prepared so smooth is much easier to glaze, and will appear a bit brighter in the highlights because there is less scatter of light.

A couple of extra glaze layers should brighten up this painting, even though it is on a very textured canvas.

Delmus Phelps
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
yes, portrait canvas is a good choice for flower paintings as the weave of coarser canvas gets in the way of what needs to be done. Thats pretty much what it comes down to, a centered composition, and that is ok. Rules are not absolute, they are guidelines to be learned and then used in a loose way as our need may dictate. My only crit with this is that the flower looks dirty, it lacks the purity of color and texture I am used to seeing in your work...translucent shadows based on a blue, a lavender, a green would probably have served the purpose better?

Thanks Corby, yes, the picture was done several years back using a straight tube black, which I think muddied my pinks! Have learned since to use other colors in shadow work.

WFMartin is correct too about the weave, I since started using an ultra smooth canvas that really allows for sharp details.

La_ "there's many beautiful ways to mix beautiful 'blacks'" so true, I rarely use a tube black anymore. Burnt Umber, Prussian blue and a touch of ivory black is my usual mix.

lunchbox "Sometimes glazing the background with a compliment of one the flower's colors will punch up the painting" & "spreading the light out to more of the petals"

since this painting is back in my possession I'm gonna try some of these recommendation and will get back to you on it's progress!

thanks for another great critique!