GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Study of Farrier and Assistant
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting, based off an old family photograph which I have also included, shows a middle aged man and his young assistant re-shoeing a mule inside of a ba<br>.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am new to painting figures, and I am looking for any suggestions on how to improve the painting. Particularly, I am interested in your input on the composition and colors, but any suggestions are welcome.

Corby
07-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the critique forums! It is wonderful that you have shared such a good beginning work with us!

I have been thinking about this one for some time, trying to decide what my thoughts were...:

1. You could have gone either of two ways here. Work the reference for all its worth in great detail. This may have been a good choice for those unnaquainted with what a farrier does. All of the odds and ends adds visually to the story being told.

2. You could have dispensed with the whole scene as it is and moved it to the barn yard. I remember the farrier coming in and doing re-shoeing of the horses under the tree behind the house.

Having chosen to do a pared down version of the reference, I would clean it up even more and resort to some textures to tell the tale. The color is fine. That is something that can always be given attention to at almost any stage of your artistic endeavors. I would start by applying the rule of thirds to my canvas so as to get a composition that is pleasing and presents the subjects interests to the best extent. Notice here that the doorway on the right background is aligned with the right hand side vertical golden line. This gives it the most pleasing ratio to the rest of the painting (1/3) The bottom of the floor that goes across is aligned with the lower horizontal golden line. This gives it the same pleasing 1/3 ratio to the rest of the painting. The focal point: the animals head, is resting at the 'hot spot' (where the lines cross) at the upper left, and the mans head as a point of interest is resting on the 'hot spot' (where the lines cross) at the upper right. By using this grid resulting from the 'rule of thirds' you now have the optimum of visuals or setting for your story... I would also mention that you have painted to close to the bottom edge of your canvas with your main elements. The figures are going to look like they are standing on the frame when it is framed. I would also remove the high reflection from the horses hooves. He looks like he has patent leather hooves!

Here is a visual of the adjustments I would make:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/70790-farrier.JPG

La_
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM
ah, our Corby is such a wise man = )

only additional thought i have is to move the box behind the farriers feet a bit, if that mule moves at all it's going to trip him up!

very nice start on a very challenging piece!

la

ajrhobby
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the critique forums! It is wonderful that you have shared such a good beginning work with us!

I have been thinking about this one for some time, trying to decide what my thoughts were...:

Corby, thanks for such a useful response. I struggled a lot trying to decide what details to include, but I really like the idea of paring the composition down to limit the focus of the painting to the main subjects.

only additional thought i have is to move the box behind the farriers feet a bit, if that mule moves at all it's going to trip him up!

very nice start on a very challenging piece!

la

La_, thanks for the critique, and you're exactly right. I hadn't noticed it before, but the toolbox needs to be moved for sure.