PDA

View Full Version : Gray cat commission

Corby
07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-18-2010/70790_marlenecloseup.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-18-2010/70790_graycat2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gray cat commission
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8X8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Does it look like a cat? By the time I finished fighting with it I thought it was a bear... Despite that it is 8X8 the computer simply refused to maintain the dimension so it is marginally wider than in reality. The cats head appears a bit elongated on the horizontal axis. It isn't in the actual painting...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
general comments about overall quality would be nice. I am now permanently cross eyed from trying to get that head patteRN
in place. You will disceRN
my problems from the posted reference. I have never seen the actual cat, so I haven't a clue as to whether it will be recognized. Incidentally I purposely changed the direction of the cats gaze so as to be looking at the viewer...

MRSBB
07-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Corby. Congratulations on the commission. I think you did a fine job on your painting and I like that the cat is looking at the viewer. I like the soft feathery hair on the right of the cat and wonder if you could give her some softness on the top of her head? I love the nose. Nice work..............Lenore

billmahler
07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Corby
You did a fine job with a difficult ref foto.
As Lenore said, softening the edge on the top of its head would round it more and then you can frame this one.

Bis007
07-18-2010, 03:46 PM
:thumbsup:Very nice mr c. Ref's expression-looks like he just spotted his lunch and ready to pounce. The expression in yours, reads "yes" just had my lunch and very proud as he stares at his viewers. Cool! Artistically, agreed with Ms Lenore- needs some soft fur in the V area -(minor). Everything is fine.

Owner should be very happy with his expression and overall work. Cheers.

La_
07-18-2010, 08:46 PM
oh my! i'm so glad you didn't put in those feet!

wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the dark stripes colors in the lower part of the painting, maybe just a titch down by the signature?

love they eyes and facial markings, handsome fellow

la

Harry Seymour
07-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Corby- this is beautifully done. The colors and values are great. My only nit I guess is similar to Lenore's and has to do with the smooth direct line between the upper ears. I would rough it up a bit similar to the edges of the right body line.

crazywoman53
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
It looks like a cat to me. The ref photo is not real clear so not having seen the cat I think the way you pulled this off is pretty good.

tony1
07-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Looks like a cat to me also. And it looks like you caught its expression. Great job.

lunchbox
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
While the body says contentment, those eyes add, "I'm thinking". I'm expecting the tail swish. You can really get lost in those orbs, not an easy task to accomplish. Well done!

cathaden
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Corby..you caught his personality; I love him! The only suggestion is maybe to shave off a little of his left shoulder (see my quick photo adjust ;)489440

Corby
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi Cathaden! You've got a great eye to have noticed that. I put the extra curve in the piece because I did not want a parallel edge between the cats body and the edge of the canvas. Thanks for looking in!

Lunchbox! thanks for looking! The cat says "Here's looking at you kid." I'm glad you like it.

Tony 1 Thanks much Tony!

Crazywoman I always appreciate your views.

Hi Harry! Yep the consensus has it that I need to make a change there! And so I will. Thanks for having a look!

Thanks LA! Those feet look like hairy sausages don't they?

Bis007 Thanks Bis, you are very encouraging, and so right about that between the ears edge...

Bill, thanks for looking in. Your assent with the overriding viewpoint about the edge between the ears, is right on! I appreciate your views.

MrsBB Hi Lenore! Thanks for the points made, what would we do without the intelligent eyes of others! It seems the longer we paint on something the blinder we get and so are in real need of 'new eyes'!

docsaro
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
wonderful...

Corby
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Thank you docsaro! And here is the corrected version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2010/70790-graycat3.jpg

allanom
07-20-2010, 07:28 PM
From a very challenging piece of reference, you've made a terrific translation with a lovely surrealistic feel to it. Congrats on the commission and a fine job!

flowergram
07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
what alan said... he's beautiful.