PDA

View Full Version : pastel color chart strategy?

Dharma_bum
07-17-2010, 02:33 PM
I need to make color charts for two full sets of pastels. I'm wondering whether to base the chart on the original color families (as they come out of the box), or to organize them by hue and value first, then make the chart to match that?

It would seem that the latter strategy would make it easier to identify a small piece if need be, rather than having to search all over the chart , especially for the lightest values, which tend to look more alike. Can anyone see a flaw in this logic? What do you do, and would you do it the same way next time?

Thanks,

Dan

allydoodle
07-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I've attempted to make color charts, but somehow I never use them. My good intentions gone amock!

I would think arranging the color chart first by brand, then like you arrange your pallet would be less confusing, and easier to read. I would think the colors are easier to find that way. Just a thought, as I've mentioned, I don't seem to use them. If there's a color that becomes a favorite, I do make sure to find out it's "number" and write it down pretty quickly (like Ludwig V100, a really nice dark purple that I love). I'm not "married" to too many colors - it keeps me on my toes! :eek: (or confused, I'm not sure! :lol: )

Tom Perry
07-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I generally chart them as they come out of the box. My biggest reason for making a color chart is so I can remove the wrapping from the pastel. Easy to reorder that way. Just compare a swatch of your stub with the chart and re-order.

sketchZ1ol
07-17-2010, 06:17 PM
hello
three values - white,gray,black, - show ' sparkle ' of the pastel in a simple value range - and how your marks are made - pressure/release and such
since i work on paper, i have a separate sheet alongside to try blends/overpainting of my different pastels = specific to the pic i want
i've done grids with different brands on an x-y axis with 1/2' boxes, and for, say, two 36 pc brands, that needs a 2'x2' piece of material, so i adjust/adapt
used my living room wall for swatches one time !
but then i moved - had to clean up to get back my security deposit - aargh
:} Ed

allydoodle
07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
used my living room wall for swatches one time !
but then i moved - had to clean up to get back my security deposit - aargh
:} Ed

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny, Ed!

edencompton
07-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Norman. I think you are on target with your idea of hue/value charts. I have done many, many color charts in pastel based on how they came out of the box. I the past year or so I started to paint in oil and it wasn't until I did the oil color charts based on a few basic colors that I realized how important the color charts are (and how helpful)!

helenh
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I've given up on the whole chart idea. When I start running out of a favorite color, I make a swatch of it and send it to one of my favorite makers ie. Terry Ludwig and Mt. Vision. They match the swatches quite easily. Saves me a lot of work.

saramathewson
07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Cool Helen, didn't think of that! i don't use color charts either.
I know if I made one i would never use it and there is the whole where do i put it(I guess a 3 ring binder would work out well. Anyway, I barely have the energy to paint so doing color charts would be too much for me. if i really needed to have one I think I would fork out the money and buy them already done from dakota!. But, I admire anyone who does them! I made one with watercolors and how they looked with other colors and it was a great lesson. But, i never I used it maybe a couple of times. I tend to mix those intuitively.

Sara

Deborah Secor
07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I take the manufacturer's color chart, cut it into strips and tape it into a sketchpad, then make a mark of the actual color beneath each sample bearing the name and color number. I have one pad for all my colors with samples of all the different brands and the colors I have on hand. When I want to find a color I make a mark on the edge of some copy paper and run it along above the colors to find it. Works pretty well.

Deborah

adventureartist
07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
I also use one sketch pad. When I get a new pastel or box of pastels, draw a chart and one by one make a sample and label it's number. I enjoy doing it and the process makes me more familiar with each color. I also do what I like to call a "Wall Chart" (ED:wink2: ) but I use black paper mounted on foam boards so I can see all the colors when I am working at the easels in the studio. Different brands are in sections to themselves. I don't have enough room in the studio to lay all my pastels out all of the time. They reside in an antique type setting cabinet and I pick and choose out of those when I am working on a painting.

Winny Kerr
07-18-2010, 09:47 PM
What a great idea......never thought about that.... but it is a must-do for re-ordering and knowing what you've got.
Always learning something...thank you.

allydoodle
07-19-2010, 01:14 AM
I've given up on the whole chart idea. When I start running out of a favorite color, I make a swatch of it and send it to one of my favorite makers ie. Terry Ludwig and Mt. Vision. They match the swatches quite easily. Saves me a lot of work.

Now, that's my idea of a color chart :lol: ! I'm gonna remember this idea!