PDA

View Full Version : Zen's ESS Book

Zenica
07-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey guys,

I just decided to split my "sketchbook" thread so you could see the different journals I've got going at the same time. ESS is short for Essential Sketching Study. I will use this book to follow some of Suzette Morrow's Sketching Habit, as well as my regular figure sketching work. I added the butt icon for when I do post figure sketches so that you guys would know.

The Journal itself is one that I found in a stack of books in my attic. No clue why it ended up there but it was brand new. It's a Bienfang 50lb take along sketchbook. Its 8 1/2 by 11. It works well for pencil and pen work. Not thick enough for wet paint but pitt pens work well on it.

Here are the first few sketches, I skipped day 1 I did it in another thread but I have so many books going that I forget where it is :rolleyes:

Day 2 "A and B". Oh I forgot to mention, this is the day 2 study to take scraps from newspaper or magazines that do not show a full object. you glue them randomly into the sketchbook and continue where the color and pattern takes you.

robertsloan2
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
This is great! So bold and colorful. I love how you extended the photos and varied what you were doing with them. Excellent two pages!

Zenica
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks!

Vivien Maloney
07-17-2010, 03:30 PM
This is great Zen. Very colorful and creative. There's so many doing the "sketch a day" habit that I'd thought I'd check out the site. Loved it and would like to try it out as well but haven't the time at the moment. So I've bookmarked it to try another time. You've made a great start.

christinemlr
07-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh you have made great abstracts here with that exercise. Those pitt pens look very useful if you can do work like this with them. I just started doing the 21 day thing too, quite a few of us are now and we're all so incredibly different in our approaches and its so great to see.
Xina

DrDebby
07-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Great use of the base rectangles. The top one looks like a ship with the sail coming unfurled.

Zenica
07-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey thanks a lot guys!

I saw so many people using their scraps to make animals or other textured things. As much as I love those... I felt like I could go against my natural "comfort zone" and try abstracting them. They were done completely with the pitt pens (which have become a primary medium in my favorites list). I love the brightness and the permanency that they offer. It requires a very bold heart which I love.

I think its amazing how each person sees these abstracts differently. I'll let you all on a secret though. In the first picture I used a magazine from my father's "recycle" bin, the magazine is called Jazziz and is exactly as it sounds: A music journal.

While I was cutting the scraps I started seeing all kinds of different music related objects that really called to me to be painted. The dots on the side are either the base of a music note or the buttons on a saxophone, trumpet, flute etc. The big shape with the dots is a violin which has been placed around red velvet curtains. The line that is above it is the Bow. The stringy shapes are obviously "strings" for which ever instrument you desire. The lined fabric that intersects the violin is actually an abstracted music sheet.

This is how I see it...Deb, your idea works too. Abstracts tend to follow any line of thought, each viewer will see different things. I just love to hear what others see!

Thanks to everyone else who posted a comment! Feel free to tell me what you see too!

Zenica

virgo68
07-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Hi Zenica, your work is very strong and bold and vibrant, what a great job!

mhimeswc
07-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Cool abstracts! I like how you managed to connect them all and make it look so unified.

Jakesgram
07-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Zen, these are fantastic! I do especially love the first and now that you tell us, I can see the music "flavor" to it. What I first saw was that the 3 big buttons at the top remind me of stage spotlights and there is the curtain for the stage, unfurling. And now I know this is a MUSICAL performance we are about to hear.

Very nice - I look forward to seeing more.

Jean