PDA

View Full Version : What kids can teach us...

Olga
09-29-2002, 01:09 PM
(cell phone lore)
This is this weekend's production. Not sure what to think (too close to it now to see). Is the background too bright? I decided to paint this scene because I liked the composition (the triangle of the woman plus the rectangle of the kids), but now I don't know if it does not create a kind of two-part split...
Well--enough analysis. I'd love to hear your critiques, suggestions, opinions...

Thanks for looking,
Olga

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2002/hhk2_copy.jpg

gold color canson mi-teintes, approx. 60X40 cm

PS. The scan turned out blurry... sorry

chookbrown
09-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Hey Olga, I think the shapes work quite well together. The only thing that keeps catching my eye is the squares in the background. They seem to be the same value as the focal point in the front. Perhaps you could lighten them a little with a light wash?? Your painting is really very nice, you can see the relationship between the two parties.

Cheers,

Colleen :D :D

TeAnne
09-29-2002, 06:28 PM
I have to agree with Chooky.
This is a great composition. Being in the Mobile business, I can relate to this quite well.
Just one thing that bothers me though is the arm the lady is leaning on. If you could slim it down just a fraction maybe.
Well done. :clap:

Olga
09-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the comments, TeAnne and Colleen! It's really helpful to have people look and comment...
I think you are both right--the background rectangles are too dark and the arm might be a tad to thick.
Colleen--can't do a wash on a pastel ;) --easy to lighten it though.

TeAnne--it's so funny the way the kids know their way around with these things. The phone belongs to my friend...and it's my daughter and her friend checking it out and explaining how to use it...

Olga

Alisa
09-29-2002, 08:59 PM
I love your skin tones..this is really nice.

I'm not the best at composition, but when I look at your image, if I cover the light green space between the womans arm and the boys dark jacket, it all looks more connected. the negative space there pops out instead of receding- sharp edges there.

Alisa

olika
09-30-2002, 06:59 AM
Looks good! good composition as well - very realistic :) I agree with Alisa in that the negative space between the woman and the boys does pop out and hold the eye. Very nice work :D

Olga
09-30-2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks for you comments, Alisa and Gerri. I appreciate them. I worked on it some more, mostly trying to soften the background to make it less prominent, while trying not to lose all my lights....
That negative space you mentioned might still stick out too much... Any better?

Olga

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2002/HHK4.jpg

Elinor
09-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Lovely work. I like the second one best with the changes.

TeAnne
09-30-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Olga
Thanks for you comments, Alisa and Gerri. I appreciate them. I worked on it some more, mostly trying to soften the background to make it less prominent, while trying not to lose all my lights....
That negative space you mentioned might still stick out too much... Any better?

Olga

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2002/hhk3.jpg

Yes, this is looking really good :D :clap: Kids, they pick things up so fast. It's like they're born with the knowledge.

Alisa
09-30-2002, 11:42 AM
it does look better, Nice work:)

Alisa

chookbrown
09-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Olga it does look like the focus is now more on the main characters.....well done.

Colleen:D :D

maverick
09-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Sorry I wasn't around to comment on the first one, but I do like the changes you made. I don't feel qualified to critique since I should do a few pastels with people in them first.

Olga
09-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks Elinor, TeAnne, Colleen, Alisa and Maverick!

You guys really know how to give some encouragement :)
I think I've declared this one finished...

Olga